Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

habanero walrus posted:

He's definitely not stupid, he's just ignorant about most things outside of his interests (like most people), and spends 2-4 hours in front of a microphone rambling while stoned every week. If you think he's literally stupid, you haven't spent enough time on the internet.

He also generally admits that he's wrong when corrected which is more than can be said about the vast majority of people and seems overall like an ok guy, so I don't have any issues with being entertained with his podcast, even though he occasionally drops in some dumb poo poo.

Wasn't it recently demonstrated in this thread that Rogan, after doing extensive research, came to the conclusion that the moon landing was fake? If you don't want to call that stupidity, fine, but it's an irrationality indistinguishable therefrom, and you're just splitting hairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

habanero walrus posted:

He's definitely not stupid, he's just ignorant about most things outside of his interests (like most people), and spends 2-4 hours in front of a microphone rambling while stoned every week. If you think he's literally stupid, you haven't spent enough time on the internet.

He also generally admits that he's wrong when corrected which is more than can be said about the vast majority of people and seems overall like an ok guy, so I don't have any issues with being entertained with his podcast, even though he occasionally drops in some dumb poo poo.

Yea he seems like a dude who if you were just talking he'd seem totally normal, but because he has a podcast and kinda lacks the 'wait, I'm not sure on this...' filter he just runs his mouth and woops he just said the moon landing is fake. Not stupid at all, really.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

WoG posted:

Wasn't it recently demonstrated in this thread that Rogan, after doing extensive research, came to the conclusion that the moon landing was fake? If you don't want to call that stupidity, fine, but it's an irrationality indistinguishable therefrom, and you're just splitting hairs.

Plenty of otherwise intelligence people latch onto an idea and decide to believe it, regardless of the amount of evidence stacked against them (insert joke about religion here). If anything it just means that he's read bad information and no one has been able to convince him otherwise. Not saying that I believe the moon landing is fake, but once you've gained a healthy distrust of government, it's not that great of a stretch to think it's possible that it could have been faked for reasons of propaganda or whatever.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I've been aware of Greg Proops in one form or another for probably 15 years (enough so that I recognized his voice immediately in Phantom Menace), and I've never really given a poo poo about him until Smartest Man in the World. There are a lot of podcasts that I love but if there's one I anticipate more than all the rest, it's his. The guy's a real loving maestro, and I'm kinda bummed it's taken me so long to get turned on to him.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Rogan is a big fan of the "not saying it is this way, but I'm not saying it isn't". I'm still a big fan and listen to every podcast. Some of the discussions are just mind opening at times. Also his new stand up I saw in Philly was flat out amazing.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Joe Rogan posted:

I wouldn't believe you killed Bigfoot without a picture of his body, and I believe in Bigfoot just as much as I believe in Bin Laden. If I killed Bigfoot I would dump him in the ocean too. "No need to keep this smelly old thing around when you've got a bulletproof story"

I love Rogan's podcast and I listen to every single one of them, but I totally understand why someone would think he's an idiot. I also don't think he's funny at all, but he has some great discussions with his guests more often than not.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
Holy poo poo, I'm catching up on Nerdist, and my two friends and I got a shout out from Hardwick in Rhyme Talking, after we saw him at CDR, and my friend basically dropped an egg in front of him.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I've only listened to about 45 minutes of Comedy Bang Bang but Paul Scheer's character is kinda boring me. Maybe its because every Paul Scheer character just sounds like Paul Scheer with like a chest cold.

But if Chupa and Huel Hauser are here then I am on board.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Strange Matter posted:

I've only listened to about 45 minutes of Comedy Bang Bang but Paul Scheer's character is kinda boring me. Maybe its because every Paul Scheer character just sounds like Paul Scheer with like a chest cold.

But if Chupa and Huel Hauser are here then I am on board.

He's only on for about 5 minutes, you'll be fine.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CortezFantastic posted:

Also his new stand up I saw in Philly was flat out amazing.

This is interesting, because I'm a massive fan of Rogan and his commentating and podcast but always found his comedy dull. May need to check that out.

And hopefully they stick to the idea of having Duncan Trussell on once a month. He is one of my favorite guests on the Experience.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Tom Scharpling is taking the week off and it looks like we've got "Man and Wackiman" filling in. I find Wally Wackiman a bit annoying - it usually seems like he's trying to push his own gimmick at the expense of the show. He's not all bad though. I'm a big Hatch fan and really loved his old show on WFMU. The dude knows his disco.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Creflo Chronicle posted:

He's only on for about 5 minutes, you'll be fine.
Yeah you weren't kidding

I should know that whenever Huel Hauser appears on the show then something is going down.

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009

So close...

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Decline posted:

Tom Scharpling is taking the week off and it looks like we've got "Man and Wackiman" filling in. I find Wally Wackiman a bit annoying - it usually seems like he's trying to push his own gimmick at the expense of the show. He's not all bad though. I'm a big Hatch fan and really loved his old show on WFMU. The dude knows his disco.

Wackiman can be really funny - I love when Tom flusters him and he starts losing the voice. I usually skip the fill-in episodes and use it as an opportunity to catch up on my other podcasts, though.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
This might be my favourite Comedy Death-Ray Radio Comedy Bang-Bang episode ever.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

The_Rob posted:

I think you'll enjoy it. It has a totally different feeling from other podcasts. He is a smart guy with interesting thoughts. I wasn't really sure what I thought about it the first episode, but after I finished listening to it I couldn't wait to listen to another one.

Anyone got a working RSS for his podcast? Google Listen wont recognize it for some drat reason and thats how ive been listening to all my favorite podcasts lately.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 4, 2011

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

-Atom- posted:

This is interesting, because I'm a massive fan of Rogan and his commentating and podcast but always found his comedy dull. May need to check that out.

And hopefully they stick to the idea of having Duncan Trussell on once a month. He is one of my favorite guests on the Experience.

It was about an hour long, and he honestly has some amazing new material. Everyone in the joint was dying laughing and he got a standing ovation.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I've been listening to a lot of UYD lately, after never having heard it until a few months back. I like the show and keep listening, but it's odd because I feel like I'm listening to the same episode over and over- they all sound almost the same, it's a strange consistency they've been able to keep up for so long. Sometimes I put it on and just zone out for a while then realize I haven't really paid attention to the last half hour.

I know that sounds obnoxious but I do like it, it's just a little like ambient music sometimes.. which I also like.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Snowy posted:

I've been listening to a lot of UYD lately, after never having heard it until a few months back. I like the show and keep listening, but it's odd because I feel like I'm listening to the same episode over and over- they all sound almost the same, it's a strange consistency they've been able to keep up for so long. Sometimes I put it on and just zone out for a while then realize I haven't really paid attention to the last half hour.

I know that sounds obnoxious but I do like it, it's just a little like ambient music sometimes.. which I also like.
I've noticed exactly the same thing. UYD has just become my default background noise while I'm doing different things rather than appointment listening I look forward to every week.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Other than what has already been mentioned here...two what would now appear to be defunct podcasts still get a little bit of playtime on my personal media device:

FOR THE LOVE OF G...LASGOW

http://fortheloveofglasgow.blogspot.com/

Sounded like they recorded it in one of their kitchens. A podcast about current events, as well as a few bits about what is going on in their personal lives and horrible, horrible poems (some of which are good). I found it amusing and passed the time quite well. They used to update quite frequently, then all of the sudden without much explanation they stopped. They returned a year latter (December 2010) with a "Resurrection" episode claiming that they will start doing regular podcasts. However one of the hosts (?) had recently become a father (an explanation of their absence perhaps) and it seemed like the two, Scott and Alan had lost a bit of their chemistry.

That aside, their earlier podcasts are worth a listen to, there's about 20-25 of them.

ROBIN INCE AND JOSIE LONG'S 'UTTER SHAMBLES

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/podcasts

They have a regular guest each episode (Edgar Wright, podcasters/comedians Collins and Herring, Phill Jupitus, Stewart Lee, Stephen Merchant and others). Originally some sort of show and tell program, they were all required to bring something to show everyone and talk about, but usually becomes random and unrelated. I like it. There are about 20-odd episodes, but I don't think there are any current ones anymore (last episode late 2010).

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

Decline posted:

I like Wally and Hatch when they are together. The bad thing about Wally is how he feels the need to call in every other show and whine about people getting mad at him.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Penis envy posted:

I like Wally and Hatch when they are together. The bad thing about Wally is how he feels the need to call in every other show and whine about people getting mad at him.

Yeah, when he strays away from talking about being a puppet and puppet matters, he's just not as funny. He disappears up his own handhole.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703841904576256851860269320.html?mod=wsj_share_twitter

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
gently caress, Michael Rooker is such a weird loving dude.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

gently caress, Michael Rooker is such a weird loving dude.

That's funny, the characters he plays are usually pretty normal.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

This made me grin ear to ear when I first saw it.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

PAUL TOMPKINS

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

Real Life posted:

I love Rogan's podcast and I listen to every single one of them, but I totally understand why someone would think he's an idiot. I also don't think he's funny at all, but he has some great discussions with his guests more often than not.

I also think it's important to note exactly how high he is every time he does a podcast. (cue Bill Hicks) Rrrrrrreeeeaaallly loving high.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

@JamesUrbaniak
James Urbaniak
@PFTompkins http://bit.ly/iujOsT

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

The fantastic Vancouver-based sketch and improv troupe called the Sunday Service has released a shockingly well-produced sketch and improv podcast. I just listened to the first episode and enjoyed it well enough. It's gonna be monthly.

The Sunday Service presents: A Beautiful Podcast

I'm going to have to recommend this one from pages ago. I just had a chance to listen to all of the current episodes and I loved it. The absolute best improv show in Vancouver and their audio sketches are brilliant.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

When you get the NYT pointillism treatment you have to be like "I have truly arrived!"

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

When you get the NYT pointillism treatment you have to be like "I have truly arrived!"

That's the Wall Street Journal stippling treatment. Your point stands, and that's a classy stipple portrait.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Maarak posted:

@JamesUrbaniak
James Urbaniak
@PFTompkins http://bit.ly/iujOsT

Is that your blog? Cool to see it got the "deal with it" treatment.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

NotWearingPants posted:

How are you able to get over his general stupidity? Is it something you don't really notice, or perhaps you find it to be charming, or is it something that you just ignore?

I've tried a few times, but I've never been able to get over that and enjoy his show. If it was a bit or a character he was playing then I would understand, but I've always come away with the impression that he is just a dumb person.

Hmm, well that's just an outright insult. It's also clever the way that you've subtly worked in the idea that either everyone who listens to him is stupid, or perhaps that they're too stupid to realize how stupid you know that he is.

He's a loving comedian. That smokes a lot of weed. He reads a lot of books on bizarre things, most likely while high. He's not some sort of professor or the Associated Press. Be entertained or listen to something else.

You kind of sound like a douche bag. I'm sorry.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

benito posted:

That's the Wall Street Journal stippling treatment. Your point stands, and that's a classy stipple portrait.

You've got me there, sir. I've been listen to too much Joe Rogan and obviously it's affecting my cognitive abilities.

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/
The Comedy Bang Bang episode is amazing. Plane Break!

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Been listening to older Rogan podcast episodes, if you really like out of the box conversations and still be funny, listen to all the Duncan Trussel episodes. The one from November had one of the funniest premises where they were talking about licking toads for some reason, and Rogan was thinking what if there was a psycdelic toad that hummed Sunshine of Your Love and spit on you, causing you to massively trip and ruin your day. One of the few "pull over to the side of the road before you die from laughing" scenarios the podcast has given me.

edit: Luckily someone has it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_xA5E7_0Wk

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I'd never heard a Duncan Trussel episode before today. Probably a tie with Joey Diaz for best Rogan guest. He manages to steer the conversation way out into left field, and it is amazing.

Also worth noting, the newest episode of Jim and Eddie Talk poo poo is something truly incredible.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I am in love with this song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

habanero walrus posted:

I'd never heard a Duncan Trussel episode before today. Probably a tie with Joey Diaz for best Rogan guest. He manages to steer the conversation way out into left field, and it is amazing.

Also worth noting, the newest episode of Jim and Eddie Talk poo poo is something truly incredible.

Duncan is amazing and he has his own podcast too called the lavender hour.

• Locked thread