Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It looks like Gumball is on Tuesday at 8:30, earlier than the official US premier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Watching the Looney Tunes show now. It's all right, but the most active thought in my head is "It's not like Joe Dante was doing anything, why not get him?"

EDIT: drat. The two overly friendly gophers are chilling on a cruise with Bugs and Daffy. The captain comes to greet them, and they admit that they're now "fans of cruising."

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 4, 2011

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Watching the Looney Tunes show now. It's all right, but the most active thought in my head is "It's not like Joe Dante was doing anything, why not get him?"

EDIT: drat. The two overly friendly gophers are chilling on a cruise with Bugs and Daffy. The captain comes to greet them, and they admit that they're now "fans of cruising."

I can't say I've heard that turn of phrase before. Should I be offended or something?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Magnus Condomus posted:

I can't say I've heard that turn of phrase before. Should I be offended or something?

"cruising" is the term for random gay hook ups.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Magnus Condomus posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruising_for_sex

quote:

Cruising for sex, or cruising is the act of walking or driving about a locality in search of a sex partner, usually of the anonymous, casual, one-time variety.[1][2] The term is also used when technology is used to find casual sex, such as using an Internet site or a telephone service.[3][4]

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Ah. I figured it was something like that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So the new Looney Toons was alright.

But what in the hell was that preview afterward where Chowder and Panini got drawn all half assed and they called Chowder Gumball?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Looney Tunes Show wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, but it was at least amusing. Looks like it has potential. (And the Merrie Melodie with Elmer Fudd singing the Barry White-style make-out song to the grilled cheese sandwich was gold.)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I really enjoyed the new Looney Tunes Show. There may have only been a few big laugh moments, but I was grinning like an idiot the rest of the time. They've done a great job with Daffy's characterization, and if the gophers in today's episode are any indication of what's to come I look forward to seeing how they integrate the less famous characters into the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I actually loved seeing Speedy return to tv, even if there's no way he's going to do his old catch phrases because "racism."

Which is ironic because they basically made him a magic negro in this episode.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I actually loved seeing Speedy return to tv, even if there's no way he's going to do his old catch phrases because "racism."

Now someone somewhere has mentioned this before but: Golden Collection

For if you ever feel like a trip down nostalgia lane and need to take a right on Smiles BLVD.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

IRQ posted:

The weird thing with Speedy was that alot of people of Hispanic descent really did like that character, the League of United Latin American Citizens actually tried to campaign to get him back on tv

But some executives said it was racist and pulled him. =/

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2014

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
The only slow and lazy character was his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez who only appeared in two episodes (out of ~45).

Its been forever since I watched one (always hated them) but pretty much ever episode is daffy or sylvester being an rear end in a top hat for some reason. Speedy runs around and outwits them via slapstick. The end.

edit: Seriously, I'm looking at the episode guide, its like Sylvester/Daffy is playing the part of evil _______ who is being an rear end in a top hat to the mice. They call Speedy who proceeds to wreck Sylvester/Daffy's poo poo. The end. Every drat time.

JammyLammy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 4, 2011

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

JammyLammy posted:

The only slow and lazy character was his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez who only appeared in two episodes (out of ~45).

Its been forever since I watched one (always hated them) but pretty much ever episode is daffy or sylvester being an rear end in a top hat for some reason. Speedy runs around and outwits them via slapstick. The end.

edit: Seriously, I'm looking at the episode guide, its like Sylvester/Daffy is playing the part of evil _______ who is being an rear end in a top hat to the mice. They call Speedy who proceeds to wreck Sylvester/Daffy's poo poo. The end. Every drat time.

That's the whole reason I do not like, under any circumstance, Tom and Jerry. One of them is an rear end in a top hat to the other for no reason and then Jerry "wins" at the end. You know, you're not an underdog if your win ratio is 100%.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Ugh, don't get me started on Tom and Jerry. I can't think of any cartoon that was worse. Which is weird, because slapstick is funny, but T&J was just the same thing all the time.

Only thing I can really remember from T&J was a scene when the black maid goes "OUT! O-W-T OUT!" which just sort of left me jaw dropped at the screen.

On a side note, I just realized that your avatar isn't a mspainted spongebob, but a haystack (?)

edit: At least we did get Gene Kelly dancing with Jerry which is pretty memorable in cinema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN38JLzkug8

JammyLammy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 4, 2011

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

JammyLammy posted:

Ugh, don't get me started on Tom and Jerry. I can't think of any cartoon that was worse. Which is weird, because slapstick is funny, but T&J was just the same thing all the time.

Only thing I can really remember from T&J was a scene when the black maid goes "OUT! O-W-T OUT!" which just sort of left me jaw dropped at the screen.

On a side note, I just realized that your avatar isn't a mspainted spongebob, but a haystack (?)

It's Pinkie Pie in disguise. She wore this through a city... and was recognized instantly.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

So the new Looney Toons was alright.

But what in the hell was that preview afterward where Chowder and Panini got drawn all half assed and they called Chowder Gumball?

Don't diss Cho- I mean Gumball. It made me laugh and the multiple animation styles gimmick is kinda neat. Also the mom is a cool character. I'm looking forward to more, especially because it's taking Johnny Tests timeslot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Neo Helbeast posted:

It's Pinkie Pie in disguise. She wore this through a city... and was recognized instantly.

Haybob Trenchcoat tested... poorly with the target demographic.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

JammyLammy posted:

edit: At least we did get Gene Kelly dancing with Jerry which is pretty memorable in cinema

Is that all one shot? That's pretty amazing.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Neo Helbeast posted:

That's the whole reason I do not like, under any circumstance, Tom and Jerry. One of them is an rear end in a top hat to the other for no reason and then Jerry "wins" at the end. You know, you're not an underdog if your win ratio is 100%.

I'm bored to tears by Tom and Jerry. It's just slapstick, slapstick, slapstick. The Looney Tunes are more compelling because even their slapstick is informed by this, whaddayacallit, sly, comi-tragic Jewish irony, and the characters have relatable human flaws and aspirations.

I never found Tom or Jerry all that relatable for some reason.

Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote toons have the same premise as Tom and Jerry, but they're ten times funnier. Ditto Sylvester and Tweety.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Speedy Gonzales is totally racist. The entire joke of his character is that Mexicans are lazy and slow but he's fast and clever, which is the opposite of what he should be. Just because a racist caricature from the 1940s has been internalized by modern Latinos doesn't make it any less racist.

Maybe that was the original intention--or, maybe the intention was largely to create another underdog character, but this time with a goofy accent and a goofy power/trait--but that's certainly not how Latinos see it. They relate to Speedy Gonzales because they see themselves as Speedy Gonzales.

I've never come across anyone who finds Speedy cartoons funny BECAUSE Mexicans are supposed to be slow and stupid. Hell, even the people who find Speedy racist usually haven't even made that connection.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 4, 2011

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

JammyLammy posted:

The weird thing with Speedy was that alot of people of Hispanic descent really did like that character, the League of United Latin American Citizens actually tried to campaign to get him back on tv

But some executives said it was racist and pulled him. =/

Actually, it was the other way around- the Speedy Gonzales cartoons were pulled from television because it was feared the character would be seen as racist, but it turned out a lot of Latinos actually liked Speedy and saw him as a positive character.

JammyLammy posted:

Gene Kelly was originally supposed to dance opposite Mickey Mouse, but Disney didn't want to license the character to MGM. Luckily, MGM already had an animated mouse they owned.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote toons have the same premise as Tom and Jerry, but they're ten times funnier. Ditto Sylvester and Tweety.

I think in relation to Tom & Jerry and Roadrunner & Wile E. Coyote, it's because Roadrunner doesn't typically go out of his way to beat the hell out of Wile E. Coyote. And for the most part Tom is just being a dick to Jerry for no reason, but Jerry is usually just as bad.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Fishylungs posted:

I think in relation to Tom & Jerry and Roadrunner & Wile E. Coyote, it's because Roadrunner doesn't typically go out of his way to beat the hell out of Wile E. Coyote. And for the most part Tom is just being a dick to Jerry for no reason, but Jerry is usually just as bad.

The best Tom and Jerry cartoons are the ones where they team up to fight some greater evil. The movies don't even exist, so I'm talking about episodes.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Just saw the new Looney Tunes and I have to say it gave me a meh feeling. I didn't really like the Merrie Melody and a good chunk of the jokes just felt like they were going down a checklist with the joke making. I did however love the over exaggerated flamboyance of the mice. Just struck me as really funny.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Magnus Condomus posted:

Is that all one shot? That's pretty amazing.

Gene Kelly was amazingly good at what he does. Also a die-hard perfectionist.

quote:

"I watched him rehearsing, and it seemed to me that there was no possible room for improvement. Yet he wasn't satisfied. It was midnight and we had been rehearsing since eight in the morning. I was making my way sleepily down the long flight of stairs when I heard staccato steps coming from the stage...I could see just a single lamp burning. Under it, a figure was dancing...Gene."[2]

He also Debbie Reynolds cry on set because she couldn't keep up with him

mobo85 posted:

Actually, it was the other way around- the Speedy Gonzales cartoons were pulled from television because it was feared the character would be seen as racist, but it turned out a lot of Latinos actually liked Speedy and saw him as a positive character.

Yeah, thats the better way of putting it. Its a mexican character that able to outwit his opponents and always comes out on top. Its better then some of the other characters, for instance Pepe "Future rapist" Le Pew.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
So I've been grabbing Adventure Time episodes on the Zune Marketplace which means I get them a week late. When Fin garotted the Lich King's eyesockets, pulled the bridge of his nose out and shattered his face that was some God of War poo poo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've heard that the new Looney Tunes show is more like Tiny Toons humor than original Looney Tunes humor. Is that an accurate description? If so, I'll probably have to catch an episode.

I know that the chatter about Rocko's Modern Life is from a page back, but one thing I noticed from the Netflix episodes is that all of the ones that involve Chokey Chicken keep the original name intact. IIRC, on its TV run they changed the name to Chewy Chicken in Season 2, but I watched a Season 3 episode yesterday where it was still called Chokey Chicken. For me, that puts any fears about keeping the original censorship intact on the DVD versions to rest. But who knows.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

I know that the chatter about Rocko's Modern Life is from a page back, but one thing I noticed from the Netflix episodes is that all of the ones that involve Chokey Chicken keep the original name intact. IIRC, on its TV run they changed the name to Chewy Chicken in Season 2, but I watched a Season 3 episode yesterday where it was still called Chokey Chicken. For me, that puts any fears about keeping the original censorship intact on the DVD versions to rest. But who knows.
They only changed it for season 4. It was pretty ridiculous since it didn't stop them from airing reruns with the original name.

And yes, the new Looney Tunes show is quite far removed from the original shorts. It's essentially an animated sitcom, with a constant setting, a focus on the relationships between the characters, and dialogue based humor.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 5, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Speedy Gonzales has always been one of my favourites.

And a favourite of the ladies.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I can't really fault the new Looney Tunes Show, introducing these characters to a young generation who probably have no knowledge of them is a pretty tall order. At least they didn't go for the low-hanging fruit like Disney did with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, or completely bastardize them like Loonatics.
Whenever I laughed at a joke, though, I'd stop and realize "this isn't Looney Tunes humour, this is Family Guy humour", e.g. the Superman gag. But again, if it'll attract viewers, I can't blame 'em. Honestly I wonder if a full-out cartoony show like Animaniacs is beyond their capabilities now, in terms of trained animators and budget.

And I really don't want to be that guy who looks too deep into kid's cartoons, but, given Bugs and Daffy's domestic situation, if you replaced every instance of "best friend" with "boyfriend", it fit a lot better.
Maybe we're not ready for that kind of progress in a cartoon, I dunno. :gay:

As for Gumball, the visuals are amazing. Brought to mind Rodney Greenblat's Parappa the Rapper designs. It's a shame the writing had to lean so hard on cliches like "screeching authority figures always blaming the kids". But hey it's only the first episode, I won't judge it quite yet.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

wyoming posted:

Speedy Gonzales has always been one of my favourites.

And a favourite of the ladies.
Bahahaha I remember this. Even when I was a kid I'd watch that episode and be like, ":q: heh, sex jokes"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JammyLammy posted:

I think you mean Stewie Griffin :suicide:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10wM_8jES5o

Trailer for the new Voltron show, Voltron Force. I'm posting this because all the character designs look almost exactly the same as the parody series Titan Maximum. Especially the main pilot.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Trailer for the new Voltron show, Voltron Force. I'm posting this because all the character designs look almost exactly the same as the parody series Titan Maximum. Especially the main pilot.

I can't believe they tried to make that look epic. I just.. wow, that was terrible.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

muscles like this? posted:

GOT MY BALCONY HOOKERS
GOT MY BALCONY COCAINE

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Dear God, it looks like animated fanart. I've never seen dodge burn shading in a cartoon before.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

The good Tom and Jerry works are all Hanna-Barbera age, look for Fred Quimby in the credits, it a sign of a quality Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I really have to disagree because that's the exact mentality Chuck Jones went into directing Tom and Jerry cartoons, and his series was awful.
In the quality cartoons of the Hanna-Barbera days, Tom and Jerry fought each other and while most times Jerry won, alot of the time Tom won. It was a fun back and forth.
In Chuck Jones cartoons Tom never won, because he changed the dynamic of the cartoon into a Roadrunner knockoff.
Gene Deitch did this too, probably making the worst Tom and Jerry shows because of budget constraints.
It's really just best to forget any Tom and Jerry cartoon produced after 1958. If you're going to judge it then do it on the good era, otherwise it’s like saying the Simpsons was bad because of the awful later seasons made for profit.
~~~

I saw the new Looney Tunes cartoon and was satisfied. Not great but I suspect it will appeal to a wider, and more modern audience. My sister who has never tolerated classic Looney Tunes cartoons actually enjoyed it to her surprise.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chibs posted:

What manner of bullshit is this :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
The only good voltron remake that was good, was the one on MegasXRL.

On Tom & Jerry, I think we can all agree that the worst was Tom & Jerry kids.