Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Probably this one.

http://avherald.com/h?article=43b5200d&opt=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cross-posting from the aviation megathread in Ask-Tell:

Some of you may have seen this as it's spreading like wildfire on the aviation forums right now, but I'm posting it anyways.

A Tupolev Tu-154 was taken for a test flight after being stored for 10 years, when all hell breaks loose. Any cause I've heard so far is just speculation, but it is thought that something was wrong in the aileron control feedback circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP5uLDnUOdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ1CIByTz24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9UM33EKqY

And a picture (whether or not it is real remains to be seen, but it's certainly dramatic nonetheless):

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Mobius1B7R posted:

Probably this one.

http://avherald.com/h?article=43b5200d&opt=0

That's the one. Never seen that site before...some awesome speculation there.

A bird smoked the cowling, managed to crack it. Nothing went into the compressor section, but the cold stream area looked like a clive barker movie.

One also went through the #7 canoe fairing and got stuck inside rather disgustingly.

No abnormal parameters, noone knew they hit a bird(s) until after landing.
No engine change. Just the cowling, still a pain in the rear end when you're stressed, exhausted and never done it before!

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 1, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Holy poo poo. I can't believe that thing made it. I REALLY want to see video of touchdown.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Godholio posted:

Holy poo poo. I can't believe that thing made it. I REALLY want to see video of touchdown.

Biggest case of video blue balls ever. That is seriously impressive on the part of the pilot. The amount of adverse yaw you can see occurring would make me poo poo my pants if I was in a little private plane, let alone a passenger jet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Whoah, I honestly expected that series to end in flames. I can only imagine the drama going on in the cockpit.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Guess where I was yesterday!

This CRJ was towed in to a gate with a blown wing exit and followed by the highlighter-yellow fire truck:

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
just lettin the internet know that I MUTHAFUCKIN GRADUATED! my AME S course. now the fun part is trying somewhere that will let me fondle their airplanes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy hell. "Dutch rolling" should be called "Russian rolling" now.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I have no idea how he put that down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

I have no idea how he put that down.

Probably used the force....

That was an ungodly amount of yaw

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Video of the landing here: http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/450293-barely-controllable-tu-154-another-ua232-5.html

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

FullMetalJacket posted:

just lettin the internet know that I MUTHAFUCKIN GRADUATED! my AME S course. now the fun part is trying somewhere that will let me fondle their airplanes.

Nice! I will only be done my first year of just the regular AME program at the end of the month. I can't wait to be done!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I can't be the only one who thinks that's a fake, right?

That plane moves entirely too much to keep the wings attached. Even assuming they could stay attached through movement that violent, they'd at least be flapping a bit. Instead it looks like a plane attached to a string, I just can't see the string.

I want to believe.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Looks like a very rapidly yawing airplane to me. And at maneuvering speed, it shouldn't be ripping itself apart even with full control deflections. Shouldn't.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Crossposting this from GiP

What in the everloving gently caress....

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Some of those comments are pretty great, especially the one talking in very broken english about his "cousin in kabul" who fuels the choppers ("[he] say they fly sunday.") :laugh:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
gently caress I want this to be real.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Almost looks like they took cues from the failed Commanche and made a Commanch-hawk out of it.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
It's probably far less exciting than that, but I can still dream.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mobius1B7R posted:

Almost looks like they took cues from the failed Commanche and made a Commanch-hawk out of it.

The Comanche was always a typical procurement fuckup; I'm glad UAVs that take less than twenty years to develop obsoleted it. They're cheaper, the operators generally don't die when they get shot down, and they enable some absolutely ridiculous long-term missions that human endurance simply doesn't allow.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

The Comanche was always a typical procurement fuckup; I'm glad UAVs that take less than twenty years to develop obsoleted it. They're cheaper, the operators generally don't die when they get shot down, and they enable some absolutely ridiculous long-term missions that human endurance simply doesn't allow.

Interesting to see him talking about how "simple" a solution it would be to build a camera that can resolve a 15cm target within a 20km field of view. That would require about a 20 gigapixel camera, at least 16 bits of dynamic range per channel, a completely new semiconductor processing plant to handle a semiconductor billet the size of a manhole cover, and it'd probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars per sensor. Simple! (and the optics to make an image circle that big would require a global hawk or bigger to lift).

You could do it with lots of small sensors tasked to particular areas, but then you'd need something the size of a 737 to lift all the lenses/computers/power supplies. At any rate, it's still like saying "we'll just put some guy on a rocket and send it into space. Simple!"

disclaimer: It was pretty obvious that this guy is your average internet crank with a "consulting company", so I skipped through many slides.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 5, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Postal posted:

At any rate, it's still like saying "we'll just put some guy on a rocket and send it into space. Simple!"

I think that is literally the Soviet space program, circa 1960. :black101: as gently caress.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can we get a :toot: for the 50th anniversary of Alan Shepard's Mercury flight?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

InitialDave posted:

Can we get a :toot: for the 50th anniversary of Alan Shepard's Mercury flight?

The McAuliffe-Shephard Discovery Center is pretty cool.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

movax posted:

I think that is literally the Soviet space program, circa 1960. :black101: as gently caress.

Imagine what the US could accomplish if we had our technology, but the balls and blatant disregard for safety that the Soviets had. gently caress, we'd be orbiting Jupiter by now.

e- Florida would probably be irradiated but that may be a positive instead of a negative

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
If the Soviets were just around we'd probably be orbiting Jupiter by now. There's no one fun to race anymore 8(.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Chinese have a bit of catching up to do and they are doing it on their own time, but I'd imagine things will pick up once they decide to join us in Doing Great Things™.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bondematt posted:

If the Soviets were just around we'd probably be orbiting Jupiter by now. There's no one fun to race anymore 8(.

I dunno. Space Station Freedom would have consumed a lot of time and money. I think a big part of it would be that the Soviets wouldn't have been interested in Mars/Jupiter, so we wouldn't have been either; we would have been content to start some kind of space station race or something like that. Which to be fair, if it meant pushing for even more shuttle flights, might have been rad; Shuttle was only penciled out on the assumption of something like fifty launches a year. Imagine if, to compete with a growing fleet of Soviet space stations, we built another dozen space shuttles and had a space shuttle launching every week.

I mean in 1970 we were considering having a loving moon base in the 80s, but the Soviets gave up on the moon so we did too. If the Soviets were still "hell yes we're still going to the moon and then we're doing a moon base too and then we're going to Mars" then I bet we would have kept at it and have been to Mars by now, but I also bet that probably would have led to Soviet bankruptcy in Reagan's first term. :v:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Postal posted:

Interesting to see him talking about how "simple" a solution it would be to build a camera that can resolve a 15cm target within a 20km field of view. That would require about a 20 gigapixel camera, at least 16 bits of dynamic range per channel, a completely new semiconductor processing plant to handle a semiconductor billet the size of a manhole cover, and it'd probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars per sensor. Simple! (and the optics to make an image circle that big would require a global hawk or bigger to lift).

It's already "working" with 96 megapixel cameras on manned aircraft.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

Cross-posting from the aviation megathread in Ask-Tell:

Some of you may have seen this as it's spreading like wildfire on the aviation forums right now, but I'm posting it anyways.

A Tupolev Tu-154 was taken for a test flight after being stored for 10 years, when all hell breaks loose. Any cause I've heard so far is just speculation, but it is thought that something was wrong in the aileron control feedback circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP5uLDnUOdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ1CIByTz24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9UM33EKqY

And a picture (whether or not it is real remains to be seen, but it's certainly dramatic nonetheless):

Thanks for posting this, I saw the video today and was awestruck at how the pilot handled the oscillation. That's as close to a "tankslapper" as I've ever seen on something without without two wheels.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Bondematt posted:

If only they had made the N1 rocket work properly.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Nothus posted:

If only they had made the N1 rocket work properly.

Yeah this sounds like a disaster: American budgeting and project management combined with famed soviet engineering!! Two awful tastes that lead to dead astronauts together.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
You guys need to play some Buzz Aldrin's: Race into Space. Also known Astro(Cosmo)naut death simulator 1993.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bondematt posted:

You guys need to play some Buzz Aldrin's: Race into Space. Also known Astro(Cosmo)naut death simulator 1993.

That game was impossible. Its like you're the bookie who has to eat all the odds NASA beat.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I've still never won. Killed my fair share though.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

Ola posted:

That game was impossible. Its like you're the bookie who has to eat all the odds NASA beat.

Bondematt posted:

I've still never won. Killed my fair share though.

Consider my interest piqued. Is this thing abandonware (hopefully)?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

I guess they patched it in a later release to turn the difficulty down.

Also someone recently LP'ed a 2-player game against goons following the thread, wherein the goons won and only lost a couple of dudes on the way.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Boat posted:

Consider my interest piqued. Is this thing abandonware (hopefully)?

http://www.raceintospace.org/

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Colonial Air Force posted:

The McAuliffe-Shephard Discovery Center is pretty cool.

There's a McAuliffe Discovery Center here in my town at Framingham State CollegeUniversity, though it is used as a way for the education majors to learn how to teach as nearby middle schools bus in classes. Mainly because she went to college there. There's also a school and a branch of the town public library named after her.