Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

paisleyfox posted:

Ooh, awesome! Where bouts do you live? The breeders I admire most generally have dogs around $12-1300, but there's a great breeder here in Dallas (the only one with the National Shiba Club recognition in Texas, though there are some others here that are also great with showing/testing) Last I checked a few years ago, she let them go for about 800, but good luck trying to contact her. She's not tech savvy at all and is bad at getting back to you (though it seems to be better if you're local.)

The books are pretty good, like the Barron's or the Comprehensive Owner's Guide, I'd definitely see if there's a used bookstore (like Halfprice Books) that carries them. I love my copy of Japanese Dogs by Chiba, but being out of print it is harder to find. I lucked out with a $20 used library copy. There are also a few blogs I read with Shiba owners if you are interested. Gives a pretty good "into the life" view.

Also, if you decide you don't want a puppy, the rescues I listed on the Shiba write up are all great, and I think there are like, two or three others I didn't list but since I don't work with them or know much about them, I just left them out.

I love watching those little potatoes, by the way. :3: I tried contacting the breeder a few years ago, asking what health testing they do, if they're CGC etc. since I was interested (their dogs grow up gorgeous and I know they do showing), and they just freaked out I somehow found them (it wasn't hard when they posted in a group I was in...) and never answered my questions. They also went "CGC is not a health testing, it's a behavior thing" almost insinuating I didn't know what I was talking about and I'm somehow dumb. I explained I knew full well what it was and was interested in knowing if their dogs ever got it. Nothing. :sigh: oh well.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm an hour from Denver, there's a breeder in the Springs that I found on the Shiba Inu directory page. I'll probably end up going the rescue route. :) That's weird about that breeder, I wonder what they're scared of?
I'll look into those books!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Dogbutt came with us to the mother-in-laws for Easter lunch today so photos abound! He got a fresh lamb bone and seemed pretty drat happy with it, before he buried the thing.

ROADTRIP!

We tried that stacking thing again. (We've pretty much come to accept that it isn't going to happen.) The first is his more natural leg position, the second is him stretching his body out a wee bit. He has a wonky tail and a dip in his butt. :downs: Silly fur directions...

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 24, 2011

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Oh Hrafn, how can you look so beautiful but so derpy at the same time :3: He really is a gorgeous dog.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Sock Weasel posted:

Dogbutt came with us to the mother-in-laws for Easter lunch today so photos abound! He got a fresh lamb bone and seemed pretty drat happy with it, before he buried the thing.

I love Hrafn. I also love that he has no loving clue what to do with his tail when he's stacked.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

His tail is actually a parasitic twin yearning for a body of its own. I think the main issue with Raf is that he needs bribery for standing pretty, so his brain instantly goes into "OH BOY TREAT TIME. WAG WAG WAG."

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Here, have some random Buddy!

This is my new, all time favorite picture:

These two aren't nearly as fantastic, but it's still Buddy, and he's still drat cute :colbert: :

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

:neckbeard: It has been so long since new Buddy pictures. He is adorable as ever. Really want to pet that dog. Also Kaidan does a similar pose to that second picture, we always tell him he looks sassy when he does that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

WolfensteinBag posted:

Here, have some random Buddy!
Oh my lord - saw this first on my facebook feed after rivals liked a picture, and from there clicked through all the Buddy pics. He is adoooorable!

Kaidan's the coolest, but Buddy gives him a run for it. :shobon:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha That's too funny! Also, I didn't know that could happen on Facebook... :raise: I guess everyone's right, it IS easy for people to find all your personal info on there. Please don't stalk me, PI. :ohdear:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

WolfensteinBag posted:

hahaha That's too funny! Also, I didn't know that could happen on Facebook... :raise: I guess everyone's right, it IS easy for people to find all your personal info on there. Please don't stalk me, PI. :ohdear:

Oh, I already do. :staredog:

Koji's about to go in to get his tooth pulled. Argh, I shouldn't be nervous about this. :ohdear:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

paisleyfox posted:

Oh, I already do. :staredog:

Oh good god, I've never seen that dog before, I'm glad no one was around to hear me laughing at it like a dumbass.

quote:

Koji's about to go in to get his tooth pulled. Argh, I shouldn't be nervous about this. :ohdear:

Awww, poor Koji! He's going to be totally fine, but I know exactly how you feel. It's rough leaving your dog with someone, let alone leaving them to have medical stuff done. He might be a little bitter later on, but he'll get through it! ;)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

He will be okay :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

WolfensteinBag posted:

Oh good god, I've never seen that dog before, I'm glad no one was around to hear me laughing at it like a dumbass.

Hahaha, neither had I. I was actually looking for :c00lbert: and came across that instead. It's so much better. :razz:

And I know, and while Jeff and I are like "Aw, look how great it is, we didn't have to xyz!" it is immediately followed by "...I want Koji back."

I'm looking forward to picking up a drugged, toothless pup.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Can you get him a gold tooth put in there instead?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

rivals posted:

Can you get him a gold tooth put in there instead?

Awww, I missed my chance. :( He's waking up and apparently already giving the vet staff some grief about being in the crate.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

One of the better balls he has made:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

:3:

We decided since Kaidan is mostly cat-like that we should try some cat toys with him. I bought him one of those feather-on-a-pole cat toys today and holy poo poo, he goes crazy for it. This is the first toy he's gotten really excited about :downs: I'm going to try to get a video of it one day this week.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Steve French posted:

One of the better balls he has made:

Your dog keeps trying to look like Buddy! :argh: Seriously, it's too funny, they could be related. :3:

rivals posted:

:3:

We decided since Kaidan is mostly cat-like that we should try some cat toys with him. I bought him one of those feather-on-a-pole cat toys today and holy poo poo, he goes crazy for it. This is the first toy he's gotten really excited about :downs: I'm going to try to get a video of it one day this week.

hahaha That is hilarious. You definitely do have to get video! We got a few cat toys for PISSmas this past year that were made out of real fur, and Buddy KEPT trying to steal them when I'd play with Kaipo. :argh: He's also gone after a kitty toy that I've thrown every once in awhile, too. :3:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

:staredog:

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

I literally want to break into your house and steal your dog. :negative:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Brokyn posted:

I literally want to break into your house and steal your dog. :negative:

I thought this too until I realized every photo of that gorgeous dawg is paired with endless amounts of fur tornadoes on the floor.

I'd settle for pets though. :3:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Behold!

Note the current lack of fluff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You may be developing a tolerance for it, because it's ALL OVER that last image.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

You may be developing a tolerance for it, because it's ALL OVER that last image.

Yeah, that was pre-vacuuming after her brushing/bath.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Warbadger posted:

Yeah, that was pre-vacuuming after her brushing/bath.

I'm taking Buddy to work today for HIS bath. :3: Hopefully his undercoat will finally let loose, it KEEPS growing, even though the weather's getting better, and I'm in for one hell of a fur storm this year. :ohdear: I just want to get it over with! I like when Buddy's all sleek. :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kaidan mostly finished blowing his coat about 2 weeks ago and I'm still pulling out chunks of undercoat every damned time I pet him. What a jerk.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I'll just leave this here...Roxy's trying to up her primitive status...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

cuntvalet posted:

I'll just leave this here...Roxy's trying to up her primitive status...

eeeee!! :neckbeard: Look how teeny tiny!!! :3:

rivals posted:

Kaidan mostly finished blowing his coat about 2 weeks ago and I'm still pulling out chunks of undercoat every damned time I pet him. What a jerk.

Yeah... so I washed Buddy & blew him out crazy good... I had ONE tuft come off. :argh: SERIOUSLY dog, let go of your goddamned coat!! :argh: Lousy frickin' horrible "spring" weather.... last year Buddy blew his entire coat in MARCH! At this rate, I'm either going to be too hugely pregnant to deal with it when he starts letting it loose, or I'm going to have a newborn in the house. :sigh:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

At this rate, I'm either going to be too hugely pregnant to deal with it when he starts letting it loose, or I'm going to have a newborn in the house. :sigh:

Oof :( How soon is that coming up by the way?

To keep somewhat on topic, here is Kaidan being sleepy on the way to nosework last weekend :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

WolfensteinBag posted:

At this rate, I'm either going to be too hugely pregnant to deal with it when he starts letting it loose, or I'm going to have a newborn in the house. :sigh:

You could always use the hair to knit a blanket for your kid! :3:

Okay this is probably totally not possible but it sounds awesome to me

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rivals posted:

To keep somewhat on topic, here is Kaidan being sleepy on the way to nosework last weekend :3:

I feel for you, Kaidan :3: I looked like that on my way home from the gym today

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rivals posted:

Oof :( How soon is that coming up by the way?

I'm due the end of July, so about 3 months away, now. I can't really walk Buddy anymore, it's too stressful. :( Work is getting hard, too, but I really need to work as long as possible because of the money. :ohdear: I'm kinda worried!

quote:

haha Buddy lays like that, too!

Fraction posted:

knitting dog hair

Oh, it would work! Pretty well with his hair, too. It's something people actually do, although I think it'd be pretty weird having a dog hair blanket lying around...

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Tendai posted:

I feel for you, Kaidan :3: I looked like that on my way home from the gym today

Pfft! Give him no sympathy, this lazy dog hadn't even done his nosework yet.

WolfensteinBag posted:

I'm due the end of July, so about 3 months away, now. I can't really walk Buddy anymore, it's too stressful. :( Work is getting hard, too, but I really need to work as long as possible because of the money. :ohdear: I'm kinda worried!

Oh man that's rough :( That's coming up really soon!

quote:

Oh, it would work! Pretty well with his hair, too. It's something people actually do, although I think it'd be pretty weird having a dog hair blanket lying around...

I've heard of people doing similar, or at least collecting it and using it as filling in blankets and what not.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rivals posted:

Pfft! Give him no sympathy, this lazy dog hadn't even done his nosework yet.
Clearly you don't know how exhausting it is being a large, handsome doofus :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Edit: sorry about this post, I had multiple tabs opened in different threads and posted in the wrong one :downs:

Chido fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 11, 2011

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chido posted:

... my white chick made a funny noise when I picked her up. her voice sounded so deep suddenly, and she's about 6 weeks old. Is my girl turning into a boy? :ohdear:
I think you might have the wrong thread, unless chickens are primitive breeds now ;)

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

rivals posted:

RosaLita Ford hasn't started blowing out yet. Brushing isn't "encouraging" this at all, either. We're about to start showing the house in the next month or so and don't look forward for those comments.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rebounded posted:

RosaLita Ford hasn't started blowing out yet. Brushing isn't "encouraging" this at all, either. We're about to start showing the house in the next month or so and don't look forward for those comments.

You have an even harder time with it since you have a long haired dog. That undercoat does not like to move for anything! Aside from using a slicker brush, try getting a comb in as well. The brush could only be skimming the surface. What's the weather like by you? If you think she SHOULD be blowing coat at this point, you might want to give her a bath at a self serve place, or suck it up and pay for a grooming. That way, maybe the water and force dryer can help move things along. Although, that was the plan with Buddy, and we know how that turned out. :argh:

Actually, since he's fully dry now, I went and did his thourough brushing/comb out, and he IS just barely starting to blow his coat. :dance: Just the tiniest bit on his back legs for now, but at least I know it's actually letting loose so I can finally be rid of it for summer. :dance:

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

the big news in shar pei circles right now is the breakthrough in familial shar pei fever. I talked about this in my breed post, but to review: shar pei fever is a disease unique to the breed that causes recurring fevers, which can lead to amyloidosis that causes organ failure. research has been going on for 20 years, and in March researchers published a paper with their findings.

shar pei fever is genetically linked to the breed's wrinkles. shar pei wrinkles are created by hyaluronon (HA), which does things like lubricate joints and repairs skin. its production is controlled by the HAS2 gene. unlike other dogs, in shar pei there is a duplicated DNA segement near the HAS2 gene, and sometimes multiple duplicates. this is what causes shar pei to produce more HA than other dogs, giving them wrinkles. the researchers discovered that the dogs with the most duplicates were at the greatest risk for shar pei fever and amyloidosis.

by breeding for increased wrinkles, breeders have accidently selected for dogs vulnerable to shar pei fever. although traditional shar pei have a similar dulplication, it's shorter than the duplicated segement in Western shar pei (figure 3 in the linked paper illustrates the difference). one Western dog actually had both types of duplication! the worst part is that there doesn't seem to be a link between the dog's appearance and its risk level. a genetic test is now being worked on, using DNA collected as part of the Chinese Shar Pei Club of America's DNA data bank. hopefully that happens soon.

Linda Tintle, the vet who collaborated with the researchers, answered some questions online.

edit: I've updated the shar pei post with this information.

Wheats fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

We adopted this wooly jerk a few years ago. He was underweight and had significant food aggression issues.

We taught him to be patient (which cost me a bit of blood) and fattened him up.

He's a happier dog these days.

He has even made a friend.

But is still a malamute.

And by no means shy.

Disclaimer: I'm the world's worst photographer.

• Locked thread