Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

Serious question, what the gently caress is up with Cloth Diapers? I am a dad so I have a lot of friends on Facebook who are also parents and all I see is this non-stop barrage of statuses about cloth diapers, & switching to cloth diapers, & how much better and more "green" cloth diapers are. I want to punch all of these people in the heart.

Is it really that much better for the environment or is this another one of those dumb trends that people jump on so they can tell all their friends how environmentally conscious they are?

Here is an article about this subject on Slate that concluded that there is probably no significant difference. It probably depends on a number of factors including how efficient your washing machine is and if you're using a dryer or a clothesline. I suspect there would only be a significant difference if you hand washed the diapers (ewww) then hung them to dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I am subletting an apartment over the summer with 2 other people but the internet situation is strange here.

There is no direct connection but instead wireless all around the complex that requires you to log in but only 1 person can log into the internet at a time.

Has anyone else experienced something like this, have you found a way to bypass it?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

dokmo posted:

I did some reading on this a while ago -- the issue is not settled. The kinds of studies to find out how "green" a product is are notoriously messy and untrustworthy. There are a million potential variables to control for, and many of them are unobserved or unobservable. My interpretation of the stuff I read is that cloth diapers give some potential health benefits over (some) disposable diapers (skin rashes, if I remember right), but the environmental impact is unknown and could just as easily go either way.

Here, I found a website that sums some of this up.

Great! That was exactly what I was looking for. I am just tired of hearing my friends go on and on about how they are saving the planet by using cloth diapers. The differences seem negligible.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What would the easiest way to rip 400+ CDs into both lossless FLAC and high-quality MP3 files? I'd like to have everything in lossless files in case something happens to my collection or I want to sell the lot, but I'd also like to have MP3s so I can listen to music on my phone/MP3 player. Yeah, I currently do have all my albums ripped onto my computer, but almost all of them only as relatively lovely 192 kb/s MP3s.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

What would the easiest way to rip 400+ CDs into both lossless FLAC and high-quality MP3 files? I'd like to have everything in lossless files in case something happens to my collection or I want to sell the lot, but I'd also like to have MP3s so I can listen to music on my phone/MP3 player. Yeah, I currently do have all my albums ripped onto my computer, but almost all of them only as relatively lovely 192 kb/s MP3s.

Exact Audio Copy. It's not fast, but it's accurate. Use that to rip to WAV files or configure it with the FLAC encoder. Personally, I like to rip the whole disc as a cue/bin and then use Foobar to convert since it also does the ReplayGain calculations and store it as metadata.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Use a service like https://www.ripcaster.co.uk or pay a child to sit there swapping the discs.

Also before you do this please do a blind test to make sure you can hear the difference between 192kb/s and CD Quality because I definitely can't.

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 4, 2011

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I don't know poo poo about video cards, and which is an upgrade for what. So basically I currently have a Nvidia 9600 Gt, but I want a card that also works with sound so I can transmit both video and audio with an HDMI to my TV. Also obviously I either want the next card to be equal or better. Any suggestions? Preferably inexpensive ones?

edit: PCi 1... Computer can't do 2.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Liar posted:

I don't know poo poo about video cards, and which is an upgrade for what. So basically I currently have a Nvidia 9600 Gt, but I want a card that also works with sound so I can transmit both video and audio with an HDMI to my TV. Also obviously I either want the next card to be equal or better. Any suggestions? Preferably inexpensive ones?

edit: PCi 1... Computer can't do 2.

I thought PCIe 2.x was backward compatible with 1.x? Anyway you want this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371605

Personally I'm not a hardware expert but I do these kinds of upgrades and tinkering semi regularly and I just got a Radeon 6950. I think it's a really nice balance of price and performance for someone who wants video games to look nice (not sure if that's what you're after)

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Mak0rz posted:

I'm designing some things to use for my MSc thesis project. I'm doing things on paper right now, but I would also like to have digital versions of what I'm doing.

Is there a free design program out there for Windows I can use for this? All it needs to do is be able to set a scale (i.e. x pixels = y centimeters), draw simple lines, and measure angles between lines.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Found Google Sketchup, which seems almost ideal, but the free version has only 3D design and I would like 2D preferably, especially if I were to print this on paper.

Autodesk just came out with a nifty web-based AutoCAD application. It's free, and should do most of the things you're looking for.

https://www.autocadws.com/

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Can I just start using one of the CVS cards that they throw in my bags all the time, or are they going to have me "sign up" and fill out forms the first time I try to ring it up? I have the physical card right here. Can I sign up online and link the card to my account? What I'm going for here is not having to stand in CVS giving my information while I'm trying to buy stuff.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bojanglesworth posted:

Great! That was exactly what I was looking for. I am just tired of hearing my friends go on and on about how they are saving the planet by using cloth diapers. The differences seem negligible.

I'm sure there's hypocrites, but I'm also sure there's poor/frugal people out there who do handwash.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
My girlfriend is looking to make prints of her sketches and paintings so she can give them to friends/ is considering selling them. What is the best and most cost effective way of scanning and printing them? Quality is also a pretty big deal because she doesn't want to end up selling grainy or blurry prints.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

A drat FOG posted:

Can I just start using one of the CVS cards that they throw in my bags all the time, or are they going to have me "sign up" and fill out forms the first time I try to ring it up? I have the physical card right here. Can I sign up online and link the card to my account? What I'm going for here is not having to stand in CVS giving my information while I'm trying to buy stuff.

There's nothing that says you have to provide your actual information on the form.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

How can earbuds work as microphones as well? Is it an added microphone component to the earbud, or some crazy wizardry that forces the speaker be a mic?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rekkit posted:

How can earbuds work as microphones as well? Is it an added microphone component to the earbud, or some crazy wizardry that forces the speaker be a mic?

Added microphone component.

Although it is true that a speaker can be a (really bad) microphone and a microphone can be a (really bad) speaker if you hook them up right.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jeffrey Colon posted:

My girlfriend is looking to make prints of her sketches and paintings so she can give them to friends/ is considering selling them. What is the best and most cost effective way of scanning and printing them? Quality is also a pretty big deal because she doesn't want to end up selling grainy or blurry prints.

I've bought stuff from http://www.inprnt.com/ before. As a customer the quality and packaging were excellent. Maybe she can check them out? She would have to pass the muster though.

http://www.inprnt.com/faq/#submit_work

Flickr also has print options I think, and there's also zazzle and cafepress.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

Added microphone component.

Although it is true that a speaker can be a (really bad) microphone and a microphone can be a (really bad) speaker if you hook them up right.

When I was a kid I used to hook up my crappy pack-in headphones to the mic jack on my walkman and record myself talking on cassette tapes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

haha! I guess it just seems disgusting to me because I don't have a dog or cat that I have to pick up warm poo poo after. It also seems dumb that there is a huge cloth diaper trend going on. I feel like the same people that use them are the stupid hippies who don't vaccinate their babies.

As a soon-to-be parent who has also had dogs and cats in the past, the poop doesn't frighten me that much. My wife and I looked at the math, and found that -- especially with two kids planned -- cloth diapers come out substantially cheaper over the usage period. Since we'll already be doing laundry every couple of days anyway (kids seem to go through a lot of clothes), we might as well add a little bit of extra material to the washing we're already doing.

And, for what it's worth, I'm pro-nuclear power, anti-crystals, and pro-vaccination. Cloth diapers aren't just for hippies.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

So it is technically possible for a speaker to be a mic. Wow, I had no idea.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I over paid on my mortgage last month, throwing in an extra couple hundred dollars towards my principal. I just got this months statement, and it shows that I paid last months and lists the extra amount as "principal curtailment." My question is why is this months expected payment still the same as last months? Shouldn't it have come down a dollar or two? I guess they simple haven't recalculated the payment, but I would think that would be a simple, automatic function for a computer to do. I'd like to continue sending in extra money for the principal now and then, but when can I expect my monthly payments to shift to reflect that?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Elijya posted:

I over paid on my mortgage last month, throwing in an extra couple hundred dollars towards my principal. I just got this months statement, and it shows that I paid last months and lists the extra amount as "principal curtailment." My question is why is this months expected payment still the same as last months? Shouldn't it have come down a dollar or two? I guess they simple haven't recalculated the payment, but I would think that would be a simple, automatic function for a computer to do. I'd like to continue sending in extra money for the principal now and then, but when can I expect my monthly payments to shift to reflect that?

I don't think it'll remove or lower your monthly payment, it will just shorten the length of your mortgage. If you paid in an extra month's worth of payment, you'd have one less month at the end of your loan.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Grundulum posted:

As a soon-to-be parent who has also had dogs and cats in the past, the poop doesn't frighten me that much. My wife and I looked at the math, and found that -- especially with two kids planned -- cloth diapers come out substantially cheaper over the usage period. Since we'll already be doing laundry every couple of days anyway (kids seem to go through a lot of clothes), we might as well add a little bit of extra material to the washing we're already doing.

And, for what it's worth, I'm pro-nuclear power, anti-crystals, and pro-vaccination. Cloth diapers aren't just for hippies.

Yeah, there are plenty of us in the pregnancy/parenting threads who cloth diaper but are also reasonably minded folks who don't believe in homeopathy and anti-vaccination and what have you. As long as you're not buying new cloth every few weeks, it does end up saving you money, especially if you plan on having more than one kid.

debasuuuh
Jun 17, 2005

silly hats only

A drat FOG posted:

Yes, just go to the CVS website and login. You'll be able to link up the card (or even switch out an old number for a new one if you used to have a card) on there. I did it and never had to do anything in-store.

dmkmills
Nov 12, 2003
Jedi Knight
It seems like a simple question, but I can't quite find the answer on the DMV site...

I'm in California, and I have an appointment to renew my license in a DMV office in San Diego tomorrow. However, my permanent license (and the form they mailed) is at my parent's house. Do I *need* that specific form to renew? Or can I just go to the DMV office? Or maybe I can have my mom fax it to me?

I'd like to avoid as much "out of the ordinary process" at the DMV, obviously :)

Anyway, I thought someone might have had a similar personal experience here!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

dmkmills posted:

It seems like a simple question, but I can't quite find the answer on the DMV site...

I'm in California, and I have an appointment to renew my license in a DMV office in San Diego tomorrow. However, my permanent license (and the form they mailed) is at my parent's house. Do I *need* that specific form to renew? Or can I just go to the DMV office? Or maybe I can have my mom fax it to me?

I'd like to avoid as much "out of the ordinary process" at the DMV, obviously :)

Anyway, I thought someone might have had a similar personal experience here!

Norcal, here you can fill out a new one at the DMV. If you don't have your license, you need another form of ID though to prove who you are.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
What are those images called that change when you look at them from different angles? They have a ribbed plastic surface that goes "vrrp vrrp" when you run your fingernail across it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ograbme posted:

What are those images called that change when you look at them from different angles? They have a ribbed plastic surface that goes "vrrp vrrp" when you run your fingernail across it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Elijya posted:

The only way to change your monthly payment is to refinance or small changes based on your taxes/insurance if it's escrowed.
Also, you have to make sure when you pay extra it's properly applied to principal and not just added on interest payments. Different banking institutions handle those differently. Previously, to pay toward principle I had to write one check for my payment then send another check with that said principal in the comment line. Maybe some of that has changed with reforms.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
Nigerians calling? I got a new cellphone and new # at work 2 months ago and I keep getting calls from Nigeria, can't understand what they're saying when I answer. It's 3-4 times a week sometimes waking me up. (on-call, have to leave ringer on). It's different #s each time.

Our wireless guy is suggesting a new # for me but it was already enough of a problem changing #s 2 months back.

I'm trying to figure out if this is going to ever let up and if I really should change #. Why do they call? Did whoever had this # before get put on some nigerian master-list of americans with money that all kinds of scammers look at? Or is it maybe just on the list of a small group of scammers who'll realize soon enough they're not getting any cash from me?

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 5, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

John Redcorn posted:

Nigerians calling? I got a new cellphone and new # at work 2 months ago and I keep getting calls from Nigeria, can't understand what they're saying when I answer. It's 3-4 times a week sometimes waking me up. (on-call, have to leave ringer on). It's different #s each time.

Our wireless guy is suggesting a new # for me but it was already enough of a problem changing #s 2 months back.

I'm trying to figure out if this is going to ever let up and if I really should change #. Why do they call? Did whoever had this # before get put on some nigerian master-list of americans with money that all kinds of scammers look at? Or is it maybe just on the list of a small group of scammers who'll realize soon enough they're not getting any cash from me?

The number might not be "new" and someone used it before you did for something.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Which is cheapest per mile CNG, electric or ??

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

John Redcorn posted:

Is the number visible when they call you? Are they calling from different numbers? If its from like 5 different numbers, Verizon (and I assume most other services) allows you to block up to (I think) 10 numbers from calling/texting you. You might try just adding every number that comes through to the list and see if the calls at least lighten up.

I know because I had to block Time Warner cable from calling me multiple times per day to sell me additional services despite 1) me already giving them money every month 2) telling them to stop calling me. But that's just an aside.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is the number visible when they call you? Are they calling from different numbers? If its from like 5 different numbers, Verizon (and I assume most other services) allows you to block up to (I think) 10 numbers from calling/texting you. You might try just adding every number that comes through to the list and see if the calls at least lighten up.

I know because I had to block Time Warner cable from calling me multiple times per day to sell me additional services despite 1) me already giving them money every month 2) telling them to stop calling me. But that's just an aside.

You can pretty much block an unlimited number of phone numbers from calling you, there's not a limit. They do have to call you at least once first in order for you to be allowed to block 'em.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
It's different # calling each time. But good to know about Verizon blocking #s, AT&T told me once they couldn't do that.

Wish I could install some type of call firewall app to block the whole country of nigeria but our phones are locked down by bes and they don't have any apps to push to us.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Am I crazy or does iTunes on Windows halve the max volume if you don't update regularly enough? If I postpone updates long enough this seems to be the same every time I update then postpone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

b0nes posted:

Which is cheapest per mile CNG, electric or ??

Better suited for the AI stupid questions thread. Dollar for hp*mi, I'd say electric is cheaper.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Rekkit posted:

So it is technically possible for a speaker to be a mic. Wow, I had no idea.

A mic can be a speaker too. Just not a very good one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any particular reason why most books on tapes are read terribly slow? Most of the time I have to go in and speed them up about 10% in order to not get frustrated.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im trying to remember a specific quote. It is saying that you can tell more about a person while they are dealing with a problem than when he is sucessful. Or maybe its more like its easy for a rich person to be generous but take away his money and look again. Yea I suck at remembering quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Is there any particular reason why most books on tapes are read terribly slow? Most of the time I have to go in and speed them up about 10% in order to not get frustrated.

It's probably so that no one feels stupid with the out of the box speed.