Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well FDR was. Churchill was just lucky nobody else with balls was up for election when the war started (not a slight on poor Chamberlain). He had the tactical military sense of one of the shittier minor EU villains.

Good thing for Hitler he didn't have kids or Churchill would be trying to kidnap them every other week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well FDR was. Churchill was just lucky nobody else with balls was up for election when the war started (not a slight on poor Chamberlain). He had the tactical military sense of one of the shittier minor EU villains.

Are you referring to his little Antwerp escapade, the Dardanelles campaign, or his insistence at micromanaging every little thing a British warship did?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

NeonTurtle posted:

Are you referring to his little Antwerp escapade, the Dardanelles campaign, or his insistence at micromanaging every little thing a British warship did?

Pretty much all of them yeah. He a witty old sod though unlike the minor EU villains.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
Plus he had his own failed superweapon of the week, the wood pulp/ice aircraft carrier.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Someone should rename him and stick him in an EU book.

What was the create-your-Star-Wars-name combination? Something with your mother's maiden name and the town you were born in?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Someone should rename him and stick him in an EU book.

What was the create-your-Star-Wars-name combination? Something with your mother's maiden name and the town you were born in?

First 3 letters of first name, first 2 letters of last name, first 2 letters of mother's maiden name, first 3 letters of town born in.

Winch Jeoxf (we can trim that down to Jeox, I guess)

(Jennie Jerome)
(Oxfordshire)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

arioch posted:

First 3 letters of first name, first 2 letters of last name, first 2 letters of mother's maiden name, first 3 letters of town born in.

(Jennie Jerome)
(Oxfordshire)

Mat Sihaabe :c00l:

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Andja Luaur.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Jefka Giken. I sound like a random spacer that ends up getting killed.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Corsa Khwar; I sound like a stupid Mandalorian. :mad:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nucleic Acids posted:

That place is just getting creepier and creepier.

Well then FWIW, this next one came from D&D.

quote:

Osama's worth as an enemy and figure-head:

In striking down this terrorist, he really has become a figurative Obi-wan Kenobi. He was never really the leader of al-Quada, he was a figurehead. A martyr. A target the United States could be distracted to aim for. At best, it's one less man in their network to worry about, at worst, it incites more people to join their cause and far outperform him in terms of dangers. It was never a battle they were going to win anyway. Religion has taught us all other ways to win a war, in the long run.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
Petre Wasou.

I prefer my approach:

Take your defining character attribute and/or distinguishing feature, take a letter out of one and/or put a vowel at the end of the other.

Or something to that effect.

Being a tubby jerk, I would be Jek Tubbo.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
^^^ I would be Tuff Bigenis.

Ricmi Yojea.

That's a girls name. :(

Flavor Bear fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 4, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The gladiators from the 2D Clone Wars series are really the best example of Star Wars names:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cauldron#Notable_combatants

-Flalios
-Jasper McKnives
-Giant Flog
-Bugnaught
-Mantoid
-Crockagor

and...

-Carl

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

The gladiators from the 2D Clone Wars series are really the best example of Star Wars names:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cauldron#Notable_combatants

-Flalios
-Jasper McKnives
-Giant Flog
-Bugnaught
-Mantoid
-Crockagor

and...

-Carl
Caaaaarrlll you shouldn't kill people caaaaarrlll

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

A Typical Goon posted:

Caaaaarrlll you shouldn't kill people caaaaarrlll

I love you.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

Ninja_Orca posted:

Plus he had his own failed superweapon of the week, the wood pulp/ice aircraft carrier.

Hey man, that wasn't Churchill, that was Geoffrey Pyke.

Also the HMS Habbakkuk was awesome. How can anyone not love the poo poo out of a weaponized iceberg aircraft carrier?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

of course the countdown site crashed as soon as it ticked over

Ohib
Jun 12, 2006
Objective Accomplished.
I got a half-loaded page with the words blu-ray at the top and some flash file that wouldn't load.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Ohib posted:

I got a half-loaded page with the words blu-ray at the top and some flash file that wouldn't load.
Edit: It looks like they took the site down completely, but at the bottom of the site when it was somewhat working:

quote:

STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY is presented in widescreen with 6.1 DTS Surround Sound. Special features include:

DISC ONE – STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires
Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew

DISC TWO – STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow

DISC THREE – STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett

DISC FOUR – STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC FIVE – STAR WARS: EPISODE V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SIX – STAR WARS: EPISODE VI RETURN OF THE JEDI
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SEVEN – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES I-III
Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more

DISC EIGHT – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI
Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more

DISC NINE – THE STAR WARS DOCUMENTARIES
NEW! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes) – Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures...these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts, this insightful documentary shows how the super-fan club promotes interest in the films through charity and volunteer work at fundraisers and high-profile special events around the world.

NEW! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes) – George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie. The masters discuss and reminisce about one of the most beloved films of all time.

NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) – The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more — and don’t miss “Weird Al” Yankovic’s one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!

The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes) – Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2. Includes interviews with George Lucas and appearances by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas’ vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!

Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Go behind the scenes — and into the costumes — as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film. Hosted and narrated by Carrie Fisher and Billie Dee Williams.

Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes) – See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later! George Lucas explains and demonstrates how his team transformed the original dewback creatures from immovable rubber puppets (in the original 1977 release) to seemingly living, breathing creatures for the Star Wars 1997 Special Edition update.

Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) – Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today.
And if you share that site it will eventually unlock "exclusive imagery from the release."

CheshireCat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 4, 2011

dogflaps
Apr 17, 2008
Any news on some more tweaks he'll be making/will the original, unedited films be released?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

quote:

NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) – The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more — and don’t miss “Weird Al” Yankovic’s one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!
There's a serious lack of mention of the only spoof that matters: Hardware Wars.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX ... wow! I remember this being excellent. Though I have not seen it for maybe 25 years.

No chance we get any unedited Star Wars on Blu Ray. I bet these will be even extra special editions. I will probably pick them up when they are on special after christmas, though I will probably get them for christmas.

Plus that is no "Interview with the Masters" for ESB if Gary Kurtz is not involved.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

arioch posted:

(Jennie Jerome)
(Oxfordshire)

Ethsc Pucul

I sound like I should be Bossk's cousin or something.

And the countdown page directs to Fox Movies? :confused:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What the hell kind of name is Micdr Biyok?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Happy Star Wars Day, guys. May the 4th be with you. :)

Edit: Star Wars Universe name = Match Lahav. I could legit see that popping up in the EU.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
Conri Glrin. I think I'd have to throw an apostrophe in that last one somewhere to make it work.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
KelKi HaMap or HaCov

Either way, May the 4th Be With You.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Too many consonants in my name, not even an apostrophe could save it :(

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wow mine came out really starwars-y!

"Mattho Laeuc"

Sounds like an alien copilot to me!

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

So, when's the last time anyone in this thread actually watched a Star Wars movie? I think it's been about 2 years for me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NeonTurtle posted:

So, when's the last time anyone in this thread actually watched a Star Wars movie? I think it's been about 2 years for me.

Spike TV tends to show them every holiday weekend, usually the prequels, but occasionally the OT.

Empire Strikes Back is like Die Hard; if I see it's on TV, I just kinda drop everything and watch it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

I had a Star Wars day back in January. A bunch of school friends and I marathoned the unedited OT movies. Surprisingly there were two or three people in the group who had never seen any Star Wars movies.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My roommate had only seen A New Hope, and bits from the other two movies, so a couple months ago we watched through the whole trilogy. Empire is still my favorite movie ever.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NeonTurtle posted:

Same here but that's because I've been waiting for the Blu-Rays

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Showed them to my wife for the first time a few months ago. She's opening to my sci-fi obsession finally, so we did that and are now working through BSG.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I usually just pop one in whenever I feel like it, so every 4-5 months or so. That's just the OT, though. Last time time I saw the prequels was something like three years ago.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I usually just pop one in whenever I feel like it, so every 4-5 months or so. That's just the OT, though. Last time time I saw the prequels was something like three years ago.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we watched the OT. I honestly don't remember the last time I watched the PT, but I can tell you it's been years.

Fudgement Day
Mar 30, 2007
Keep On Walkin In The Free World

thrawn527 posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we watched the OT. I honestly don't remember the last time I watched the PT, but I can tell you it's been years.

I actually don't mind watching Episode III, I'll do that voluntarily from time to time along with the OT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fudgement Day posted:

I actually don't mind watching Episode III, I'll do that voluntarily from time to time along with the OT.

Same here. Other than that - I watched TPM with Rifftrax on its 10th anniversary, beyond that I can't remember when I last suffered through TPM or AOTC.