Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I doubt it. My first one did that and I replaced it. New one doesn't do it at all. I suggest you do the same.
My fiancée's didn't do the shutoff thing at all from purchase (last Monday) to yesterday. The only change has been putting in an SD card (and nothing's on it). This was an overnight shutoff while on the stock LG wallcharger.

I could've sworn I read on xda that these shutoffs are likely being caused by the lovely battery driver but you know how information like that is over there.

Either way it looks like the official 2.3.3 for the G2x isn't far off so I expect that to be fixed since LG has acknowledged the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010
I'm having a silly problem with my G2 that I had before, and now I've gotten a refurbished phone from T-Mobile because my last one had issues. I rooted using rage and now I can't flash any rom. I can't flash CM7, or a leaked gingerbread build, or even the stock rom right now. Every time I try it reboots and gets stuck on the HTC screen
I have two class 2 8gb sd cards, and I'm wondering if both of them are broken? The only time I've been able to successfully flash anything it was a modded version of the gingerbread leak and now it seems like nothing will work. I'm sorta lost, it seems like I don't get the usual "welcome to vision" or "welcome to cyanogen mod" messages that come up after flashing in recovery. I've had this issue with both phones, I'm absolutely dumbfounded.

Edit: problem solved, who knows what

z3bracak3 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 4, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tehfox0r posted:

How much risk is involved in flashing a new radio? I have an HTC Evo running 2.15.00.9.01. Is there much advantage to flashing to 2.15.00.11.19 with the risk of bricking? I have it downloaded and the update.zip on my SD card right now, ready to flash. Is there something I should be concerned about?

It's easy, but it's pretty much the only place where you can actually cause a true brick on most phones. If a radio flash goes bad, you have either a PDA or a paperweight where you used to have a smartphone. That said, if you play it safe and only download radios from trusted sources while verifying the MD5 or SHA hash as appropriate the only way it'll fail is if something's wrong with your hardware.

On whether to do it, I personally treat radios like BIOSes on a computer. I only flash it when I have a reason to, not just because a new one is out. In the past that has mainly been newer ROMs requiring an updated radio, but I haven't seen that in a while.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 3, 2011

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

godzirraRAWR posted:

I think I'm addicted to sense.

The only thing I liked about sense were the two little arrows used to select text, and since that's gingerbread native now I can't fathom what you're addicted to.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

heat posted:

The only thing I liked about sense were the two little arrows used to select text, and since that's gingerbread native now I can't fathom what you're addicted to.

There are a handful of little things I liked about Sense, like seeing a person's most recent status update or a little cake icon when it's their birthday on the caller ID screen (Facebook integration). I also generally prefer the Sense gallery to the stock one. A lot of people seem to like the Sense browser better, but that's one point where I differ.

I wish I could pick and choose...

Sense:
Facebook integration
Dialer
Gallery
Contacts People
Clock/Alarm

Stock:
Messaging
Browser

I'm indifferent when it comes to Camera and Mail. There are things I like better about the Sense Camera app and there are things I like better about the stock one. And I only use the Gmail app, so I don't really care about the regular Mail app.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Other than the birthday cake birthday indicator, stock android does all that FB poo poo too. It also adds their birthday and poo poo to their contact. The rest can be replaced with custom apps to mimic the functionality of Sense.

The new sense on the Evo 3D looks pretty fantastic though, especially with lockscreen options and new launcher/widgets.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

wolrah posted:

It's easy, but it's pretty much the only place where you can actually cause a true brick on most phones. If a radio flash goes bad, you have either a PDA or a paperweight where you used to have a smartphone. That said, if you play it safe and only download radios from trusted sources while verifying the MD5 or SHA hash as appropriate the only way it'll fail is if something's wrong with your hardware.

On whether to do it, I personally treat radios like BIOSes on a computer. I only flash it when I have a reason to, not just because a new one is out. In the past that has mainly been newer ROMs requiring an updated radio, but I haven't seen that in a while.

On the SGS, we flash modems/radios without concern. I get the impression that for some reason they are part of the bootloader on other (htc?) phones for some reason.
Flashing bootloaders is the only thing we have to worry about and we only really have to do that when upgrading major android versions.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Shanakin posted:

On the SGS, we flash modems/radios without concern. I get the impression that for some reason they are part of the bootloader on other (htc?) phones for some reason.
Flashing bootloaders is the only thing we have to worry about and we only really have to do that when upgrading major android versions.

I am pretty ignorant of this stuff, but why is that the case?

From those facts I can only deduce that 1) many phones need to update over the air using the radio, and 2) the SGS does not need to do that because something something?? Is that it?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Other than the birthday cake birthday indicator, stock android does all that FB poo poo too. It also adds their birthday and poo poo to their contact. The rest can be replaced with custom apps to mimic the functionality of Sense.

The new sense on the Evo 3D looks pretty fantastic though, especially with lockscreen options and new launcher/widgets.

I don't recall seeing most recent status updates on incoming calls in CM7. I mean, it's not a dealbreaker feature by any stretch, but I always thought it was a nice touch. And you hit on the other point that always bothered me about Sense naysayers... "custom apps to mimic the functionality of Sense" The nice thing about Sense is that you don't *have* to. Also, the knockoffs generally either don't address the specific thing I liked about the original or they cost money, and I'm a cheapskate.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm perfectly happy with CM7 right now (aside from still wonky GPS issues... :argh: ), but if not for the fact that I wanted to check out Gingerbread and was blown away by how responsive my phone became, I'd probably still be on a Sense ROM.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

heat posted:

Contacts are joined automatically, the clock/weather widget that has timers, alarms, stopwatch, and a ton of other stuff built in when I click it.

The dialer that lets me use the numbers to start typing a name, and it'll pull out of my contacts automatically.

Its just all joined together so seamlessly, and I don't feel that the individual apps that I can install out of the market are nearly as seamless or easy to setup.

Now that I know the 'secret' to installing other Sense ROMS, I'm gonna give that a shot.

Why do I always want to flash ROMs and screw with my drat phone when I'm on call? WTF, me?!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shanakin posted:

I don't know the specifics, but the impression I get is that flashing the radio requires it to be functioning at the time, possibly due to it not being tied in with the system flash. If the radio's software gets corrupted from a bad flash and it gets rebooted, it now can't reflash itself to fix the problem.

This is not hard to solve, just let the main bootloader access the areas of memory in question directly, but for some reason the handset makers seem to think that locking down the radio is a good thing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Anti-Derivative posted:

I am pretty ignorant of this stuff, but why is that the case?
Flashing bootloaders is obviously risky as they're necessary to get phones into download mode (or whatever your device manufacturer calls it) in order to reflash if something goes wrong.

In theory, a bad radio flash isn't that big of a deal as long as the radio ROM can be rewritten from download mode without a working radio in the first place. Samsung phones (I'd guess, never investigated) probably don't care about what the radio is doing until later in the boot process, whereas HTC phones do some kind of radio query early on. If for no other reason, the S-OFF bit which tells the bootloader to lock (or keep unlocked) the NAND is contained within the radio.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

godzirraRAWR posted:

me use the numbers to start typing a name, and it'll pull out of my contacts automatically.

Hit the search button, does the same thing. And Android links my FB and Google contacts automatically too.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Flashing bootloaders is obviously risky as they're necessary to get phones into download mode (or whatever your device manufacturer calls it) in order to reflash if something goes wrong.

In theory, a bad radio flash isn't that big of a deal as long as the radio ROM can be rewritten from download mode without a working radio in the first place. Samsung phones (I'd guess, never investigated) probably don't care about what the radio is doing until later in the boot process, whereas HTC phones do some kind of radio query early on. If for no other reason, the S-OFF bit which tells the bootloader to lock (or keep unlocked) the NAND is contained within the radio.
You are correct. If we corrupt our bootloaders, the phone is unable to start Android OS. Fortunately there is a simple jig that is easy to build (or can be purchased cheaply on ebay) which can solve even corrupted bootloaders by forcing download mode regardless. It doesn't work for all cases however.

Yeah, makes sense if the HTC bootloaders are interacting with the radio before starting up the phone. However that seems like very poor design to me, especially if the bootloader wont start with a bad radio or prevents it from being repaired.

I wonder if it has something to do with OTA updates which the Galaxy S doesn't really do (although Samsung have seemingly enabled it, added options to the settings and then never used it to my knowledge).

SGS firmware updates are downloaded and installed via Kies. At least that's the way it's meant to be done. We also have the option of using the factor software (or the community made open source equivalent with more options), that lets us download the firmware and flash specific parts of a rom at will, control partitions etc.

Also if you're already on the same version of android (2.1, 2.2, 2.3) you can just flash any update via CWM if you want after its converted to that format.

We can often just flash radio update via cwm or in the other software (ODIN or Heimdall)

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I've finally found a theme that changes the status bar in a way I like, but like most themes, it over-steps its boundaries a bit and changes a bunch of the icons for my apps. Can I reset those apps to their default icons without changing themes, or do I have to get another theme and change everything? I'd be willing to switch back to stock status bar if it got my apps back like I like 'em, but I switched back to stock in theme chooser and that just overwrote my status bar, not the apps.

Running an Evo with CM7.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

big mean giraffe posted:

Please tell me how to get Facebook events/birthdays to show up properly on my calendar. That is probably the one thing I miss most about Sense. The Facebook event export/Google Calendar combo just gives me blank events, which is somewhat less than helpful.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is there an app out there that shows how much energy is going into your phone through the charger? I followed an instructables and made a solar powered usb charger and I am curious to see how much energy is actually going into my phone. I realize its not much and may not be a practical solution but it was more for fun.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I've finally found a theme that changes the status bar in a way I like, but like most themes, it over-steps its boundaries a bit and changes a bunch of the icons for my apps. Can I reset those apps to their default icons without changing themes, or do I have to get another theme and change everything? I'd be willing to switch back to stock status bar if it got my apps back like I like 'em, but I switched back to stock in theme chooser and that just overwrote my status bar, not the apps.

Running an Evo with CM7.

Depends on your launcher, but I know in ADW you can manually set icons to whatever theme/icon you want. You can even mix and match icons. Just tap-hold on them and then go to Edit and tap on the icon and it'll ask you which set to choose from, then list every icon in that set.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

big mean giraffe posted:

I watched some videos of the new sense (3.0?) last night and I was pretty impressed. So far I am super impressed with the new sense weather (the animation is crazy), new widgets, and the lockscreen is freaking amazing. Not sure if I am getting a Evo 3D yet for myself (my wife is getting one), but I hope XDA brings some of these cool features to other phones .

Speaking of status bars why can't the developers of LP or ADW fix the fact you can't keep the status bar transparent if you are using them. Drives me crazy that my status bar goes back and forth between being transparent.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 4, 2011

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

madkapitolist posted:

Is there an app out there that shows how much energy is going into your phone through the charger? I followed an instructables and made a solar powered usb charger and I am curious to see how much energy is actually going into my phone. I realize its not much and may not be a practical solution but it was more for fun.

Battery Monitor Widget will do this. It even keeps track of power over time.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Fuzz posted:

Depends on your launcher, but I know in ADW you can manually set icons to whatever theme/icon you want. You can even mix and match icons. Just tap-hold on them and then go to Edit and tap on the icon and it'll ask you which set to choose from, then list every icon in that set.

No, like the actual app icon is different. Like the picture in my app drawer and in my settings.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Swift Key has stopped showing predictions in quickword, if it ever did. Any ideas?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Looks like the latest CM7 nightly for the EVO is based on 2.3.4. People are reporting video chat working with that and the latest gapps package. Its WiMAX drivers are also supposed to be completely new, using Google's new code done for the NS4G instead of the hacked together CM WiMAX drivers. I'll flash at some point today and post a trip report.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Video chat works on 2.3 period, so you can flash the zip making rounds and use it on any cm7 device.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Results of flashing the latest gapps on Gingerbread lower than 2.3.4 have been mixed at best. Some have gotten it to work, but some people report force closes, voice chat but no video, they can see and/or hear the other person but they're not visible, or vice versa, etc. You name it, there's some sort of issue reported with it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I don't know wtf is going on with my phone anymore. Last night I just started to get black screens (example: Open Gmail app, go to inbox, click on email, black screen. Press back, inbox shows up again. Kill the app, get back in, now the inbox displays a black screen instead.) So I just figured I'd reboot, since it was more than just gmail that was acting up anyway.

Reboot sticks me at the drat EVO 4G screen again for a good 10 minutes before I give up and pull the battery. I try again and it still sticks at the screen for several minutes, but finally goes on to the CM7 splash screen and the phone finishes booting.

What the hell? And the fact that I get stuck on that screen every time I try to flash another ROM bothers, me, too. Maybe I need to wait longer, I don't know.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

nimper posted:

Battery Monitor Widget will do this. It even keeps track of power over time.

Wow lots of information from this widget. What exactly should I be looking at to know how much energy is going into my phone when it is charging?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I haven't gotten a chance to try GTalk video chat, but I've found that WiMAX won't connect. It turns on and just gets stuck at Scanning.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

madkapitolist posted:

Wow lots of information from this widget. What exactly should I be looking at to know how much energy is going into my phone when it is charging?
As I understand it, the green number on the widget itself when it's on your home screen is the current charge (mA) going into the battery. You can tap the widget and it will show a graph. Tap the graph and it will cycle through the different statistics, like available charge, voltage, mA, and mW. You can also change the settings to poll the battery stats more often or less often, and you can change what the widget displays when it's on your home screen.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

nimper posted:

As I understand it, the green number on the widget itself when it's on your home screen is the current charge (mA) going into the battery. You can tap the widget and it will show a graph. Tap the graph and it will cycle through the different statistics, like available charge, voltage, mA, and mW. You can also change the settings to poll the battery stats more often or less often, and you can change what the widget displays when it's on your home screen.

The mAh rating is estimated, not a reported number, FYI.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dumb question: Is there a way to get around Wireless Tether for Root Users not showing up in the market place since I'm on Verizon? (Rooted D2G on Fission ROM)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kyrosiris posted:

Dumb question: Is there a way to get around Wireless Tether for Root Users not showing up in the market place since I'm on Verizon? (Rooted D2G on Fission ROM)

Side Load It.

You can download it from the GCode linked above and then just install it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Casao posted:

Side Load It.

You can download it from the GCode linked above and then just install it.

Only reason I asked that is because the D2G isn't on the list. Would I be safe just grabbing, say, the Droid 1 version?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shanakin posted:

You are correct. If we corrupt our bootloaders, the phone is unable to start Android OS. Fortunately there is a simple jig that is easy to build (or can be purchased cheaply on ebay) which can solve even corrupted bootloaders by forcing download mode regardless. It doesn't work for all cases however.
Except I don't believe Download mode is on a separate ROM. It's part of the bootloader (secondary? I'm uncertain) and if that is corrupt, then you need a less-simple-to-build JTAG unit to flash the NAND, which I'm not sure has actually been done on an SGS model, although it easily could have.

Shanakin posted:

However that seems like very poor design to me, especially if the bootloader wont start with a bad radio or prevents it from being repaired.
It's an arguably-reasonable design from a DRM/lockdown standpoint. I'd argue those aren't reasonable practices to begin with, but that's another debate. Presumably HTC themselves can reflash a radio via JTAG.

Shanakin posted:

SGS firmware updates are downloaded and installed via Kies.
Kies isn't officially supported on US models. The Captivate & Vibrant do have optional (are they still?) Froyo updates made available via mini-kies, which was made available specifically for that purpose.

The Epic has always used OTA updates, even the "leaked" Froyo build that was orignally OTAed to development/prototype phones. The first official Froyo update (EB13) that was subsequently pulled was available as an OTA update from the beginning as well, but Samsung also packaged it with a Kies/Odin like firmware flash tool that was used also used on the Moment--name escapes me. It was pulled along with the OTA EB13 update as well and when the second, non-pulled (EC05) update was released it was available as OTA only.

I'm not sure of the exact update process used by the Fascinate/Mesmerize, I it was thought OTA as well.

Shanakin posted:

We can often just flash radio update via cwm or in the other software (ODIN or Heimdall)
Oddly enough Epic radios have to be flashed with Odin/Heimdall, can't be done through ClockworkMod. Everything else including kernels can be though. Whether that's a technical limitation or something the Epic custom ROM folks haven't figured out yet, I'm not sure.

Funny how damned different these devices are, isn't it?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kyrosiris posted:

Only reason I asked that is because the D2G isn't on the list. Would I be safe just grabbing, say, the Droid 1 version?

If you check the links, it only differentiates between "Generic" and "Stable" - the binaries are the same, it's just where the support is. I'd grab the 3.0 and try it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Casao posted:

If you check the links, it only differentiates between "Generic" and "Stable" - the binaries are the same, it's just where the support is. I'd grab the 3.0 and try it.

Hooray, it works! Thanks! :toot:

Corez
Dec 3, 2007
Has anyone had any issues with CM7 reporting damaged SD cards? I've been searching around XDA and the Cyanogenmod site and I can see that it is a known problem, but I can't seem to dig up any actual fixes besides rolling back to a previous version (I am currently on RC2).

I am in kind of a jam since I can not get the SD card to function whatsoever and I can't figure out a way flash a new rom without it. When the damaged SD card error popped up it prompted me to format the card in order to fix the solution, which I went ahead and did assuming that I could simply create a new backup once I got the card up and running again. No such luck unfortunately. Everything I've read has suggested to try and manually reformat the card using a regular sized SD adapter, but none of the computers (3 of them) in my house will recognize the supposedly corrupt micro SD card in the adapter. The only way I can actually see the microSD card is if I plug it into my Sansa Clip mp3 player as addition storage. From there I can see the properties of the card, which reads 0 bytes used and 0 bytes available, which seems odd. I bought a brand new SD card before I realized this was a somewhat common issue with CM7, and I am having the exact same issues with that card now too.

Anyone have any ideas? I've kind of hit a wall here and don't really know where to go from here.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Corez posted:

Has anyone had any issues with CM7 reporting damaged SD cards? I've been searching around XDA and the Cyanogenmod site and I can see that it is a known problem, but I can't seem to dig up any actual fixes besides rolling back to a previous version (I am currently on RC2).

I am in kind of a jam since I can not get the SD card to function whatsoever and I can't figure out a way flash a new rom without it. When the damaged SD card error popped up it prompted me to format the card in order to fix the solution, which I went ahead and did assuming that I could simply create a new backup once I got the card up and running again. No such luck unfortunately. Everything I've read has suggested to try and manually reformat the card using a regular sized SD adapter, but none of the computers (3 of them) in my house will recognize the supposedly corrupt micro SD card in the adapter. The only way I can actually see the microSD card is if I plug it into my Sansa Clip mp3 player as addition storage. From there I can see the properties of the card, which reads 0 bytes used and 0 bytes available, which seems odd. I bought a brand new SD card before I realized this was a somewhat common issue with CM7, and I am having the exact same issues with that card now too.

Anyone have any ideas? I've kind of hit a wall here and don't really know where to go from here.

If nothing else is reading it, it's an issue with the card, not CM7. It actually is hosed up.

Corez
Dec 3, 2007

Casao posted:

If nothing else is reading it, it's an issue with the card, not CM7. It actually is hosed up.

I figured the actual card was the issue, but after buying a brand new card and experiencing the exact same problem with it I am a bit stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Corez posted:

I figured the actual card was the issue, but after buying a brand new card and experiencing the exact same problem with it I am a bit stumped.

I know the odds are probably not that great but you could have gotten a defective card, maybe take it back and exchange it for another one?