Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cage posted:

So I started downloading new car models for the first time ever a few days ago. Changing car models was pretty easy, but I just left handling.dat alone.

A few cars are extremely top heavy using the stock numbers so today I tried using the recommended settings that came with the wrx sti that I downloaded.

I think I did something wrong, somewhere.

One of the lines in handling.dat will make the wheels vanish if you put the value too high or too low. Don't know which though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I was just playing GTAIV and laughing at the little moralising lines Nico says for no reason. Like getting into a car while drunk "I'm too drunk, I shouldnt be doing this" and when you try to bang a girl she says yes lets go upstairs "Hey I really respect you"

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Is it just me or does GTAIV really just pick up after you unlock the third island? Suddenly missions start to get more interesting and there's more of the old GTA humour.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

I sorta lost interest halfway through the manhattan part, by then most of the more interesting characters werent involved much anymore and were replaced with the typical mobsters that i feel have been done to death in games.
It also felt like the missions stagnated too much into constant "drive here, chase this guy, kill this guy" tedium although this does get better by the last part of the game.

I guess i felt the first third was the strongest and the story lost a lot of steam probably around the time you finish with the playboy x/dwayne stuff, and only really enjoyed some of the McRearys storyline after that.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Is it just me or does GTAIV really just pick up after you unlock the third island? Suddenly missions start to get more interesting and there's more of the old GTA humour.

It does take a while to get going, but once it picks up it's loving awesome. I thought it was quite well paced, made you feel like you were coming up from nothing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's a bit conflicting that the story is pretty drat good for about the first half, especially the move to Bohan.
But the better missions are almost always in the second half.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the story loses a sense of purpose at one point. The stuff in Broker is a really nice build-up with Niko and Roman finding themselves further and further in trouble from the Albanians to Ivan to Faustin and finally having to get the hell out of Broker. It all comes with this nice subtext that neither Niko and Roman want to be involved in this stuff and their goals seem to be to live peaceful lives.

The stuff in Bohan works for a little bit off the strength of having to leave Broker. You get that sense of Niko being in hiding, having to find new ways to make money, and restart Roman's business.

Then Roman does have his business back and Dimitri doesn't seem like much of a threat. So, there's a chunk of the game where I feel a little unclear in what Niko's working for. You kind of get the sense that Roman still has debt because of his gambling problems and that you're helping support the new car service, but that's never really explicit.

There's still Niko seeking revenge, but honestly that never was as compelling to me as Niko just trying to escape his past and settle into a peaceful life. Honestly, the whole revenge thing seemed unnecessary and ultimately existed as a cheap way to get Niko to work with people that he otherwise wouldn't. Hell, you basically have to make the choice of getting revenge or letting go with Dimitri even though that doesn't work out well.

EDIT: Also, as much as "Hello cuzin!" is mocked, I think Roman is a really fun character and his interactions with Niko are awesome. I think he really adds a lot of soul to the first act or so of the game. There isn't enough Roman later on.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 3, 2011

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Timeless Appeal posted:

EDIT: Also, as much as "Hello cuzin!" is mocked, I think Roman is a really fun character and his interactions with Niko are awesome. I think he really adds a lot of soul to the first act or so of the game. There isn't enough Roman later on.

I enjoyed him and Brucie popping up at the club in Gay Tony every once in a while. "Ladies, hide your titties!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was thinking today about how annoying it is playing GTA games when I've gotten tired of all the songs in the game after having listened to them so many times. The exact same is true for the real radio. In the mornings I listen to whatever talk program the local (san antonio) rock station has and they always talk about the same crap, and then halfway through they play "Another Way to Die" by Disturbed. And then a few minutes later they play that dumb Say You'll Haunt Me song. Every single day. Then on the drive home at least half the songs they stations play they just recently played them the previous day or a couple days earlier.

Makes it really annoying when I get in the car and I hear the same songs over and over again because it causes me to drive fast, run people over, and shoot people.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cojawfee posted:

I was thinking today about how annoying it is playing GTA games when I've gotten tired of all the songs in the game after having listened to them so many times.

I've noticed this with San Andreas, while in Vice City I have yet to get bored of jumping in the Hunter and cranking up V-Rock.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Cojawfee posted:

I was thinking today about how annoying it is playing GTA games when I've gotten tired of all the songs in the game after having listened to them so many times. The exact same is true for the real radio. In the mornings I listen to whatever talk program the local (san antonio) rock station has and they always talk about the same crap, and then halfway through they play "Another Way to Die" by Disturbed. And then a few minutes later they play that dumb Say You'll Haunt Me song. Every single day. Then on the drive home at least half the songs they stations play they just recently played them the previous day or a couple days earlier.

Makes it really annoying when I get in the car and I hear the same songs over and over again because it causes me to drive fast, run people over, and shoot people.

True; I learned that lesson after GTA3. In the next instalments I made sure to stick to only a few stations and let them wear themselves out, then switch to new ones and feel as if the whole game picks up the pace.

The only exceptions perhaps are Espantoso in SA, which never gets old as long as you keep a decked out low rider in the garage; and TLaD/TBoGT's Vladivostok FM in combination with a fast bike.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Also, as much as "Hello cuzin!" is mocked, I think Roman is a really fun character and his interactions with Niko are awesome. I think he really adds a lot of soul to the first act or so of the game. There isn't enough Roman later on.

Apparently it's an unpopular opinion, but I think Roman is the best GTA IV friend. By the end of the game I'd spent more time with him doing random activities than any of the others. I just couldn't say no to the guy... by the end of the game he actually kind of felt like a cousin.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Strangely I'm kind of liking all the friends and the bits of characterization you get while driving them around. Except for that Irish fucker and his whole family save for the neurotic girl. I was so disappointed when I had to decide which one of his brothers to kill. I happily blew up both with an RPG but that failed the mission :mad:
Dwayne is my favourite because he kind of reminds me of a very good non murderous gangster friend of mine irl.

vv I am uncomfortable with his superious genes

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 4, 2011

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Brucie is the superior friend

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I've noticed this with San Andreas, while in Vice City I have yet to get bored of jumping in the Hunter and cranking up V-Rock.

V-Rock: the 100% official home of rebellion

the radio bumpers and IDs are just as good as the music

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Underflow posted:

and TLaD/TBoGT's Vladivostok FM in combination with a fast bike.

Vladivostok was expanded with the DLC? I never played the DLC but that Russian radio station was my favorite through vanilla GTAIV.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Tewratomeh posted:

Apparently it's an unpopular opinion, but I think Roman is the best GTA IV friend. By the end of the game I'd spent more time with him doing random activities than any of the others. I just couldn't say no to the guy... by the end of the game he actually kind of felt like a cousin.

Just the opposite for me. Here's this lying oval office who lured you to a non-existent haven of easy opulence from which to run your revenge operation; only to make you a forced participant in his personal troubles (and who needs another guy to sort out his girl problems ferchrissake), all of which could have been avoided if he had more brain- than spermcells.

Without this annoying gently caress drawing you into his deluded realm of corniness supreme, you wouldn't have met any of the people holding you up in your search for The Traitor. Spare me the "saw-ree Rrroman for what they did to you - now let me go kill some more people to cover your gambling debts". You also wouldn't have a game, but hey.

But seriously, Rockstar can shove their ridiculously out of place moralising and embarrassingly forced character emotivity. Claude's motives were clear and credible, Tommy Vercetti's were as well. The level to which CJ was taking poo poo from his brother did seem a bit strange, but at least the full extent was saved for the end. Back to the old neighbourhood with your Harrier instead of a nice mansion in the hills, yeah right.

A real-life Niko character, however, would have popped Roman himself the moment he found out he'd been dragged into a feud with the russian mob for a second time over the same poo poo. Real Serbs don't take hassle from anyone, not even their retarded cousins.

Red Dead Redemption did a better job on the credible motivation part of the story, although 1000('ya leff me ta die' * cutscene) got old fast.

I'm taking all this trouble 'cause Rockstar follows this forum closely and will make everything better in GTA5 and RDR2 as soon as they read this.

Knightmare posted:

Vladivostok was expanded with the DLC? I never played the DLC but that Russian radio station was my favorite through vanilla GTAIV.

I got the stand-alone version; I don't think the DLC has it. It's not what you think tho; this time it's some Ibiza clown DJ broadcasting from Bahama Mamas.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Underflow posted:

I got the stand-alone version; I don't think the DLC has it.

Ballad of Gay Tony has an expanded Vladiostok if you get the DLC, as well as an expanded disco station and ElectroShock. Maybe The Vibe, too. The difference is that the standalone version doesn't include any of the original songs from GTA IV for some reason. They just have the additional songs for each station, plus a few extra stations that GTA IV didn't have.

So I guess that means that Vladiostok doesn't have "Schweine" if you get Episodes From Liberty City, which sucks because that's one of the best songs in the game.

edit: Had to embed the song to emphasize my point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eukAfV8H7X8

Also I always forget that "V" in Vladivostok. Probably because in all the bumpers and DJ segments it's not sounded out.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 4, 2011

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just realized why I wasn't as much of a fan of GTA4 or SA's story; the protagonists aren't active in their plot. In Vice City, Tommy Vercetti is open about wanting to run the city and all his actions are taken to move him closer to that goal. In GTA3, Claude Speed was working towards his goal of getting revenge on Catalina. In GTA2, Claude was I don't know, trying to steal all the things. In San Andreas, things just kept happening to CJ. In GTA4, things just kept happening to Nico.

SA is more at fault than GTA4; at least in 4, Nico planned on getting revenge, even though it was basically only mentioned as a reminder to tie the various plots together. In SA, CJ just showed up and a half dozen people instantly started telling him that he's got some chores to do before he can sit down and watch the TV.

I want the protagonist of GTA5 to have a clear goal or at the very least not act like they're being led around by the loving nose all the time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The "errand boy" plot has pretty much been a staple of all Rockstar games since San Andreas, even ones not developed by Rockstar North. Bully, which was brought up earlier in the thread, is so bad about it that at one point Jimmy even complains about it in a little bit of fourth-wall breaking. It pretty much sums up the Rockstar Experience: "Everybody here either wants my help or wants to beat me up."

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

That's why I think Saint's Row 2 has a better plot than any recent Rockstar game; sure, there were people who wanted your help, but they were largely ambient activities. The main plot had the player being active and going out of their way to make poo poo happen. I liked that.

RDR had a terrible case of folks needing poo poo out of John Marston. Every single person you had to do half a dozen favors for before they'd just say "yeah I'll help you at an indeterminate point in the future" and at least half the time, you didn't even need to do anything in those favors except show up and not get shot. I played through seeing how many missions you could let other AI characters complete for you. If you're patient, a lot.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yeah but in RDR it at least has the excuse that it is the point of the story that people keep jerking you around to serve their own needs until they don't need you any more. It's part of the *~core themes~*

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Tewratomeh posted:

Ballad of Gay Tony has an expanded Vladiostok if you get the DLC, as well as an expanded disco station and ElectroShock. Maybe The Vibe, too. The difference is that the standalone version doesn't include any of the original songs from GTA IV for some reason. They just have the additional songs for each station, plus a few extra stations that GTA IV didn't have.

So I guess that means that Vladiostok doesn't have "Schweine" if you get Episodes From Liberty City, which sucks because that's one of the best songs in the game.

edit: Had to embed the song to emphasize my point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eukAfV8H7X8

Also I always forget that "V" in Vladivostok. Probably because in all the bumpers and DJ segments it's not sounded out.

Yeah, you're right. The stand-alone has replacement material for some of the stations. Which is fine by me, cause speeding on the motorways with Disco Inferno and stuff like that from K109 is a blast. RamJam is nice too when you're just cruising and it's sunny out, though the DJ talks too much and has a slightly irritating voice.

The first time I played the game and Roman comes flying in with Schweine booming from the car I knew this was gonna be fun.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
drat, this thread is really making me want to play GTA IV again. It's the only one that I haven't played through multiple times. Might get started on that tonight :hellyeah:

Personally, although I think Vice City has by far the best atmosphere, San Andreas is my favourite of all the GTA games. No other game in the series really has that sprawling open-world feeling of complete freedom. In 2005 it really felt like the pinnacle of sandbox gaming, and the culmination of all the learnings and development from the two games that preceded it. I didn't mind the shallow story as I just treated it like a Bruckheimer movie. Don't think, just switch brain off and enjoy the ride. In that sense, it's a lot of fun.

But I don't feel like it's stood the test of time that well. I fired it up last year when I found the PS2 in the back of my closet and got about halfway through San Fierro before giving up in frustration. Compared to the games that have come since, the combat is annoying, the movement is poor and the lack of checkpoints is frustrating as hell. I'd been going on one mission for almost 30 minutes (including driving from the safe house to the mission start point) before dying in pretty much the last 20 seconds of the mission. So you reload and the exact same thing happens and you calmly turn off the PS2, vowing never to return.

I'd play the poo poo out of a re-released San Andreas with updated graphics and modern conveniences.

And I'm really hoping that GTAV isn't the mild let-down that GTA IV was. I guess since they'd gone from small city (GTA3) to a larger city (VC) to a whole state (SA), in my mind they had to go EVEN LARGER :downs: and do a whole country or something. Thinking back, I had some pretty impossible expectations around GTA IV (drat those awesome rumours about the setting sprawling over most of Central and part of South America!), so I need to keep things realistic this time :v:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A bunch of the enjoyable characters in GTA4 seemed to just disappear after a certain point while there were a constant stream of new people introduced.

I dated the very first woman you could a bunch of times, then she revealed she was spying on me, which was all right. She then pretty much vanished from the rest of the game and I was assigned a love interest despite never dating her once. I'm pretty sure she was the one who died as well so that didn't mean a lot.

Nice to know all of the friendship minigame stuff has no meaning.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

A bunch of the enjoyable characters in GTA4 seemed to just disappear after a certain point while there were a constant stream of new people introduced.

I dated the very first woman you could a bunch of times, then she revealed she was spying on me, which was all right. She then pretty much vanished from the rest of the game and I was assigned a love interest despite never dating her once. I'm pretty sure she was the one who died as well so that didn't mean a lot.

Nice to know all of the friendship minigame stuff has no meaning.

Yes, the thing with the irish girl made no sense at all. Its only purpose is to pad out the story somewhat. Instead of having to choose between two characters I felt nothing for, it would have been nice to opt for an ending in which you don't care about what happens to either of them, take the money, kill the main antagonist, and spend a nice long weekend boating with Bernie or going around all the clubs with Carmen until you discover she stole your wallet and you're back to zero.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been playing San Andreas recently, and while the handling and engine is pretty jarring after playing GTA4, it is still pretty sweet. Hoping the next GTA lets you play as a gangster like CJ.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Yeah a return to the hood would be fine by me. I'm really hoping for a London game though, but it's unlikely to happen.

I just got a PC that can run this, finally. This is one of my favourite games ever. What mods would you recommend? I'm probably gonna get realistic handling for the hell of it, just to try it, but has anyone here tried that First Response mod? It's advertised as an extremely detailed simulation of real life police procedures, and sounds like it's right up my alley.

I tried installing the ENBSeries graphics improvement mod, but it bugs out weirdly for so I can only see the top left corner of the screen. I've googled around a bit but while I've found people with the same problem, I've found no solutions. Anyone have experience with this?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So, what's everyone's favorite car in GTA4? I'm partial to the Sabre GT. It's semi-common, tough enough to survive crashes, and has a sweet exhaust note to boot.

I also like the Blista Compact.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

So, what's everyone's favorite car in GTA4? I'm partial to the Sabre GT. It's semi-common, tough enough to survive crashes, and has a sweet exhaust note to boot.

I also like the Blista Compact.
The one that looks like a 2008 BMW. Can't remember what it's called, but it's really rare. Might actually not be a BMW, but a Lexus or something. It's usually found in the fancy neighbourhood of New Jersey, it's fantastic. It's like a mini-limo.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

csidle posted:

The one that looks like a 2008 BMW. Can't remember what it's called, but it's really rare. Might actually not be a BMW, but a Lexus or something. It's usually found in the fancy neighbourhood of New Jersey, it's fantastic. It's like a mini-limo.

That would be the Sentinel.

I quite like the Feltzer, it's like the Elegy from San Andreas. By far the best car for drifting.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

nerdly_dood posted:

That would be the Sentinel.

I quite like the Feltzer, it's like the Elegy from San Andreas. By far the best car for drifting.

No, it wasn't that one. It was more classy, not as flashy. Can't remember the drat name.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
http://gta.wikia.com/Cognoscenti

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

No no that's way too flashy. It's actually the Oracle and the Washington. Love both of those. The Oracle is the one I was talking about earlier, but Washington is actually my favourite. What car is it based on?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You said mini-limo. :l

2003-present Lincoln Town Car

http://gta.wikia.com/Washington

Cage fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 6, 2011

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Cage posted:

You said mini-limo. :l

2003-present Lincoln Town Car

http://gta.wikia.com/Washington
Yeah, the Washington totally has a mini-limo feel going. Thanks for the wiki link though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish Taken would have come out before GTAIV. The games were always heavily influenced by movies and other works of fiction, I think if they would've incorporated aspects of Liam Neeson's character in Taken (it's got the whole eastern european angle, just change it from a CIA agent to an ex-albanian gangster or whatever) with Niko and gave him a more interesting motivating factor (loved one kidnapped as opposed to.... whatever was motivating Niko), it would've made the game waaaaay more interesting.

Plus, I just watched Taken again and that movie owns and I want a Taken game.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009
The Sultan. I really like its looks, speed and engine note.

What I hate is that they're impossible to find. Unless of course you spawn one, then they're everywhere. I always hated that about GTA games.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

The Sultan. I really like its looks, speed and engine note.

What I hate is that they're impossible to find. Unless of course you spawn one, then they're everywhere. I always hated that about GTA games.
Yes. Great car for fast driving. Probably my favourite, although I prefer the Sultan XS over the stock. Are there no mods to remedy the car-spawn thing? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Unless of course you spawn one, then they're everywhere. I always hated that about GTA games.

It's weird that the game will suddenly spawn a vehicle and the entire world will be flooded by that one vehicle. Then you will go back and none will be around.

• Locked thread