Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Save me jeebus posted:

I made a client cry today. It was awesome.

I foresee a healty family law practice in your future....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Solomon Grundy posted:

gently caress. Family law you don't even have to try. They walk in the door and they start bawling.

Kind of takes the sport out of it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Save me jeebus posted:

I made a client cry today. It was awesome.

I had a client hug me today. That doesn't happen much.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

The closest to that I'll get is when I file my divorce petition this week.

nm posted:

I had a client hug me today. That doesn't happen much.

Happens to me more often than I'd like...

I think I prefer the crying.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Save me jeebus posted:

The closest to that I'll get is when I file my divorce petition this week.

Dang, was there another Bar failure?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

diospadre posted:

Can't be, since the CA bar results don't come out until the 13th or so (wait... Friday the 13th? drat California that's harsh)

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
(Did a Google and thread-search to see if anyone posted this link already.)

This is for all of us 1Ls who are taking a Con Law final soon...

http://joshblackman.com/blog/?p=4407

quote:

HLS Flashback from 1900: Student goes insane during Con Law Final, Dies from “Overstudy”

... A few days ago, while taking an examination in constitutional law, in which he has been making a specialty, he suddenly put his hands to his head and began to shout "Constitutional law!" Then in an agonized tone he followed this with moans and mutterings of the same subject. Today he died with an abscess on the brain, brought on by his intense mental strain ...

:psyboom:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

diospadre posted:

No; one too many arguments that he tried to win by saying, "Well, I'm the one with a JD; you dropped out :smug:".

And other E/N stuff.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
I had to tell someone today that his mother had specifically excluded him from her will. He cried as I read the pertinent section out loud.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Save me jeebus posted:

No; one too many arguments that he tried to win by saying, "Well, I'm the one with a JD; you dropped out :smug:".

And other E/N stuff.
Learned a lesson did we? Don't date (or, jesus, marry) lawyers/law students.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
hey really sorry jebus genuinely

hope this is for the best

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cortina posted:

I had to tell someone today that his mother had specifically excluded him from her will. He cried as I read the pertinent section out loud.

Interesting. I usually tell clients that they should communicate that sort of thing ahead of time, because it staves off litigation over the issue at their death. Some clients, however, are in situations where disclosure of the disownment would be seriously detrimental.

Within the bounds of what you're allowed to disclosed, I'd like to hear some more of the story.

nm posted:

Too soon, eh?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Save me jeebus posted:

And other E/N stuff.

Oops. Sorry, didn't mean to pick a scab!

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Today is my last day of law school classes. Last exam in 9 days. Graduation in 18 days. Bar review course begins in 21 days.

Gotta cash in those Lexis and Westlaw points while I still can. Also shouldn't have taken that fedcourts class.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Any law goons in Chicago know someone who's leaving for the summer, and might be looking for a sublettor? I would need it from about June 1 to August 15th or so. I'd prefer to be downtown, but any place that's close to public transportation that can get me downtown would also be acceptable.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

entris posted:

Too soon, eh?

Never too soon to joke about how we lawyers are broken humans.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

qwertyman posted:

Also shouldn't have taken that fedcourts class.

Just got out of the final for this. I dunno, after today and not doing that hot I really wish I'd have taken Corporate Finance or a class outside of the law school instead even though I kinda dug the material.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

sigmachiev posted:

Just got out of the final for this. I dunno, after today and not doing that hot I really wish I'd have taken Corporate Finance or a class outside of the law school instead even though I kinda dug the material.

gently caress I have to take fed courts next year...do you have a good hornbook to recommend?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The last time I made a client cry was when I told her that it would not be a good use of her time to send an ambulance over to her ex's house to have the paramedics ensure that his child safety seat was correctly installed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I got a critique of a seminar paper rough draft that was longer than the paper itself.

:ughh:

gently caress seminars.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

nm posted:

He wasn't either of those when we got moved in together or even by the time we married. But law school/aftermath definitely exacerbated some parts of his personality that before I'd have called "quirky," but now that I'd call "loving insane."

Feces Starship posted:

hey really sorry jebus genuinely

hope this is for the best
Hey thanks. It really is.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

The Warszawa posted:

gently caress I have to take fed courts next year...do you have a good hornbook to recommend?

Chemerinsky's Federal Jurisdiction ought to cover you; use a serious Con Law treatise (Tribe or something) if you want to gun hard. Fed Courts is hard because of how tough the curve is, not necessarily the material, in my opinion. Law review/clerkship types are heavily over-represented, as are people who did really well in Civ Pro. You're also at Yale IIRC, so what could you possibly be worried about?

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

entris posted:

Interesting. I usually tell clients that they should communicate that sort of thing ahead of time, because it staves off litigation over the issue at their death. Some clients, however, are in situations where disclosure of the disownment would be seriously detrimental.

Within the bounds of what you're allowed to disclosed, I'd like to hear some more of the story.

Mom has three adult children. Two of the children do not get along with the third child. I assume Mom doesn't either, but I'm not sure. At some point, a will that included all three of the children was replaced with the current will that specifically excludes the third heir and leaves everything to the other two. Mom died a few months ago, and the two heirs under the will want to sell her house. Title company refers me the file. My original plan was to do an affidavit of heirship, but because that would mean all three heirs inherit equally, that's not going to work. I tell the client that we are going to have to do a full probate, and to please bring me the original will.

They can't find the original will. They have one crappy copy.

In Texas, if you go to probate with a copy of a will, you have to notify all of the heirs at law, either by formally serving them or by getting them to sign a waiver of formal citation and having them agree that the copy of the will should be admitted for independent administration as if it were an original. I was told that Heir #3 had in fact received his cut of the money before Mom's death, and it would be no surprise that he wasn't in the will. The other heirs also admit to me that they do not get along with their brother, don't have a phone number for him, etc. I manage to track down an address and send Heir #3 all of the statutorily required stuff - copy of will, copy of probate application, etc.

Today, Heir #3 calls me because he doesn't understand what I've sent him. A few minutes into the conversation I realize that the other heirs weren't being totally straight with me - this guy had no idea that a)Mom had done a new will and b)he was explicitly shut out of it. Cue the crying. He asked me if signing the waiver I sent him would mean that he wouldn't inherit anything, and I said, yes, by signing the waiver you are agreeing that the copy of the will should be probated as it stands. He asked what his options were, and I said that he needed to retain counsel to help him with that, as I represent Mom's Estate and can't provide him with any guidance.

I called my clients, Heir #2, back, to tell her that we certainly aren't going to Probate Court next week, or possibly in the foreseeable future, and she screamed at me for telling her brother he should obtain legal representation.

I certainly wish Mom had done what you suggest, because it sure would have saved a lot of time today. I also wish the heirs had managed to find the original will, because then I wouldn't have had to deal with all of this.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Bathing Jesus posted:

Chemerinsky's Federal Jurisdiction ought to cover you; use a serious Con Law treatise (Tribe or something) if you want to gun hard. Fed Courts is hard because of how tough the curve is, not necessarily the material, in my opinion. Law review/clerkship types are heavily over-represented, as are people who did really well in Civ Pro. You're also at Yale IIRC, so what could you possibly be worried about?

My fed courts was packed with LR people and top of the class...not many other people willing to take an EIGHT AM class that lasts for 2.5 hours and is taught by a federal judge.

It's a good class though imho and the material isn't ball-bustingly hard if you're decent at civ pro and con law (national powers not individual rights) when you come in.

I used Chemerinsky's Fed Jur a little bit while studying and I got an A for what that's worth.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Bathing Jesus posted:

Exactly this. The material is Con Law meets Civ Pro and the doctrinal stuff isn't that tough to get or make an argument for, but it's designed for people who want to clerk which are going to be the gunners. We actually used Chemerinsky as one of two assigned books, but we weren't allowed to use it on the final, which made little sense because he explicitly encouraged citing the squib cases from it. I walked into the test with a three page table of authority with a one sentence description of what went on that I'll have to upload to our DropBox because it was easily the most helpful thing I did (not that it mattered because I don't feel great about how it went).

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I just took my final final.

Roger_Mudd, J.D.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Save me jeebus posted:

He wasn't either of those when we got moved in together or even by the time we married. But law school/aftermath definitely exacerbated some parts of his personality that before I'd have called "quirky," but now that I'd call "loving insane."

Hey thanks. It really is.

My condolences. I'm sure not having to deal with his debt albatross probably helps, too!

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I just took my final final.

Roger_Mudd, J.D.

Dr. Roger_Mudd

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Save me jeebus posted:

And other E/N stuff.

Hi.

I hear you are single and make tacos.

I can pay my loans.

PM me.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Blakkout posted:

Any law goons in Chicago know someone who's leaving for the summer, and might be looking for a sublettor? I would need it from about June 1 to August 15th or so. I'd prefer to be downtown, but any place that's close to public transportation that can get me downtown would also be acceptable.

PM sent! I live just north of downtown and need a subletter for exactly those dates.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

J Miracle posted:

I used Chemerinsky's Fed Jur a little bit while studying and I got an A for what that's worth.

I used this too and got an A also. Best Hornbook I touched during law school, bar none.

And for what it's worth, Fed. Courts has been the class most directly applicable to the shitwork I do as a first year biglaw associate.

Anyhow, I have a cheap copy of Chemerinky's Fed. Jur. available. Act now and I will include copies of personal correspondence between me and Chemerinksy from during my bar study. (Seriously).

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

mrtoodles posted:

PM me.

Direwolf posted:

PM sent!

This seriously had me all exciting for a moment. Mmmmm. Tacos.

gently caress you, Direwolf.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

amishsexpot posted:

all of us 1Ls

Just property left (in 27 minutes). Wish me luck. Thanks for that thing btw.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Adar posted:

My condolences. I'm sure not having to deal with his debt albatross probably helps, too!

Man you have no idea.

mrtoodles posted:

PM me.

I won't be single til at least August. :(

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
how can you PM someone a taco

we need to work on this technology hopefully we can work the kinks out before lunch because I forget to bring mine and it would be really great if someone could PM me like some carnitas or something

Hippokleides
Mar 20, 2011

by Ozma

J Miracle posted:

how can you PM someone a taco

we need to work on this technology hopefully we can work the kinks out before lunch because I forget to bring mine and it would be really great if someone could PM me like some carnitas or something

Or, say, PM some food that actually tastes nice. Maybe a PMed eggs on toast for breakfast, or a grilled octopus for tea.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I am job.

Bask in my glorious, semi- private PD work.

Sure, I have to take two bars and not fail twice like the guy I'm replacing, but it's $10k above the salary I had when I was working before lawschool and it's a job!

Kissy Suzuki
Mar 27, 2011

No honeymoon. This is business.
this one goes out to all the pretty lil 1Ls out there, especially the one at Fordham who thinks fashion law is A Real Thing You Do

quote:

I’d like to speak in defense of quitting, and quitters.

Quitting can be about more than stopping whatever you’re doing. It can be about waking up and asking yourself if what you’re doing makes sense and is worth continuing.

If you’re plugging away dutifully through the legal education process with no real idea why – it might be time to quit.

Does this mean I’m seriously advising young law students all over the country to give up and drop out – simply abandon their legal education mid-way through?

Yes.

I am prescribing a mass exodus from law schools. A semi-mass exodus might do the trick.

Tune in. Turn on. Drop out.

If you don’t know why you’re there – and you’re not sure what you’re getting yourself into – if you’re not at a top school, or even if you are, and your grades are a little iffy, and likely to stay that way – then please, get out. Today. Before you spend another cent.

The legal education scam works because it follows two key rules of all successful Ponzi schemes:

First, it plays to your greed. You dig your own hole because you’re in it for the money.

Second, it keeps you distracted. You never realize you’re getting fleeced.

The process is like a cattle chute. From the LSAT to the bar exam, you never look up because you’re moving too fast, racing to compete against the others…right up to the bolt gun in the forehead. Even if you awakened midway and realized you weren’t having fun and wanted to flee, there’s no obvious route of escape. That’s how it’s designed.

Along the way, you sign documents to borrow the purchase price of a Rolls Royce Corniche with nothing to show for it but a piece of paper saying you’re theoretically prepared for a job you know nothing about.

You end up $200k in debt and either stuck in a field you never understood and don’t like – or unemployed (the unemployed part isn’t the problem since it turns out you really want to be a jazz drummer anyway, not a lawyer.)

But that $200k in debt is there to say – sorry, you work for us now. In fact, we own you – own your future. Just like that cow on the feedlot.

You don’t have to go out like that.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mrtoodles posted:

I used this too and got an A also. Best Hornbook I touched during law school, bar none.

And for what it's worth, Fed. Courts has been the class most directly applicable to the shitwork I do as a first year biglaw associate.

Anyhow, I have a cheap copy of Chemerinky's Fed. Jur. available. Act now and I will include copies of personal correspondence between me and Chemerinksy from during my bar study. (Seriously).

Omerta fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock
Need some advice from the law goons. Skip to the bolded bit for the actual question if you don't want to read the rest of this poo poo.

Here are my stats. I am 23/M, graduated in May 2010 from UNC Chapel Hill with a BA in Political Science and a 3.6 GPA. I currently work for a major insurance company as a claims manager, and make $46,000/year. I am planning on taking the LSAT in June and applying to law school in the fall.

My question is about a professional designation that I have the opportunity to get in the meantime. Of course, I have not and do not plan to let my employer know that I am applying to law school until I get in and am actually set on going. Because of my performance this year, I am eligible to take online courses and get something called an Associate in Claims (AIC). It is not an associates degree--it's just a professional designation. If I do it, the company pays for the courses, I can get a $5,000 bonus, and be promoted to the next grade level which would bump me up to $55,000/year. The main reason I want to do it is to pay off all my school and auto loans before law school, which can't happen with my current money.

Will getting an AIC designation in any way hurt my chances of getting into law school? Will they see it as either a "bullshit degree" (which is exactly what it is), or as me "committing" to the insurance industry, or something like that? I have heard that law schools don't like to see you spend a long time in a job, or get too involved, or something like that. Is that in any way true? Should I avoid the AIC?

Fake edit: I understand that some people might be inclined to ask "why the hell are you giving up a 45K job with bonuses to get into a shitload of debt and go to law school", but I have my reasons. I have spent a VERY long time (years) coming to the decision to apply to law school, and finally am set on doing it.