Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

macnbc posted:

Eh? Got a source on the abomination bit? It was developed by Cyan, just like the original game.

It was actually developed as a prototype for the game engine that was later used for Uru.

It was in a sidebar in an article on Myst I read in Retro Gamer. I think I still have the issue. The brothers didn't say "abomination" but they were notably hostile to the project.

e: found it. Issue #59.

"I only saw realMyst after it was released. As a remake, it was a lapse of reason and directionless; overt merchandising of the original Myst. It definitely wasn't how we originally envisioned Myst, as was promoted." -Robyn Miller

Robyn also went on to say the Myst books were the biggest mistake he ever made while working at Cyan despite the success amongst fans.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

al-azad posted:

It was in a sidebar in an article on Myst I read in Retro Gamer. I think I still have the issue. The brothers didn't say "abomination" but they were notably hostile to the project.

e: found it. Issue #59.

"I only saw realMyst after it was released. As a remake, it was a lapse of reason and directionless; overt merchandising of the original Myst. It definitely wasn't how we originally envisioned Myst, as was promoted." -Robyn Miller

Robyn also went on to say the Myst books were the biggest mistake he ever made while working at Cyan despite the success amongst fans.

Gotcha. Didn't Robyn Miller leave the company after Riven? I got the impression he just didn't like what Cyan was doing overall.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

realMyst is a fine game but I can't imagine what it must feel like as an artist to have your work remade without your input and then promoted as "the version of Myst that Cyan and the world-famous Miller brothers always wanted to make..."

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

al-azad posted:

realMyst is a fine game but I can't imagine what it must feel like as an artist to have your work remade without your input and then promoted as "the version of Myst that Cyan and the world-famous Miller brothers always wanted to make..."

If memory serves it wasn't that far from the original one was it? The only major difference was that the graphics were a lot nicer and you could now walk around! Great game :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Holy poo poo, I just played Painkiller: Battle out of Hell and the 1st level is better than the best segments of vanilla edition. The enemies consist of demonic children wielding knives; when you shoot them you explode a chunk of their torso and they jump around like spiders to reach you. There are little girls who set themselves on fire and try to hug you and children in burlap sacks that make baby cooing sounds before exploding in a kamikaze attack. The level ends with this nigh-invincible fat mother fucker in leather bondage with a butcher knife who magically appears behind you whenever you to turn around to see how far away he is. gently caress that dude. All this is going on while babies cry and children scream in the background.

For a 2004 game this is pretty intense. The original title is super goofy but I just don't feel like continuing tonight.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you like that, you're in for several treats... and several disappointments. BOOH has some real consistency issues from level to level.

The amusement park level could have been balls-out awesome, but it settles for much less than it should, going literally on rails for half of it. Still, one of my favorite levels for mashing two handfuls of childhood nightmares into my face.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone is now on GOG for $9.99.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They need some sort of quality control for lovely D&D games published by Atari.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The final three clues were 'fear your past', 'feel like a hero' and 'make monsters fear you' (the last referrring to The Witcher). One of the first two refers to Demon Stone, and the other is the only remaining unknown.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Demon stone wasn't terrible, it's just nothing like baldur's gate. Way more similar to the console BG: dark alliance series.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Demon stone wasn't terrible, it's just nothing like baldur's gate. Way more similar to the console BG: dark alliance series.

How similar is Demon Stone to the LOTR console hack & slashers? I remember having fun co-oping Return of the King with a friend, issues with that particular game aside.

Ninja edit: Dark Alliance was alright, too.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Can someone give a run down of the free games for getting The Witcher 2? I already have Divine Divinty but couldn't get into it. Same with Gothic.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

andrew smash posted:

It's more of an arcadey brawler than anything, I'd say - a PS2-era Golden Axe, if you will. Pretty fun from what I played of the PS2 version back in the day, but nothing to write home about.

Edit: It misses one huge opportunity - no co-op. You play as all three characters at once and cycle through them as you need them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dominic White posted:

It's more of an arcadey brawler than anything, I'd say - a PS2-era Golden Axe, if you will. Pretty fun from what I played of the PS2 version back in the day, but nothing to write home about.

Edit: It misses one huge opportunity - no co-op. You play as all three characters at once and cycle through them as you need them.

Was actually gearing up to play this with a buddy based on the comparison to Dark Allegiance (Not a great game, but a fun few hours), but I guess I'll save my :10bux: for another day.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Demon Stone! I remember this game. I played the hell out of it when it came out. The story was penned by R.A. Salvatore, who you may recall from Drizzt fame. He does a ton of Forgotten Realms stuff and well, is entertaining enough as popcorn reading.

I enjoyed this game. Co-op would have added certainly, and it's not the deepest game, but it was fun for sure. I'm probably going to pick it up again when it goes on sale.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

iastudent posted:

How similar is Demon Stone to the LOTR console hack & slashers? I remember having fun co-oping Return of the King with a friend, issues with that particular game aside.

It's better than the LotR hack and slashers because you have more fine tuning over your characters, the combat mechanics are tighter, the scripted sequences are far more interesting, there's some actual design to the levels like traps and hazards, and it makes better use of the D&D license than the LotR games made of the movies. With that said, being singleplayer is its biggest sin and totally baffling. Good but not $10 good. I bought the thing for $4.99 on the PS2 in '07.

BiggerJ posted:

The final three clues were 'fear your past', 'feel like a hero' and 'make monsters fear you' (the last referrring to The Witcher). One of the first two refers to Demon Stone, and the other is the only remaining unknown.

I'm still hoping for either Wheel of Time or Imperium Galactica which both feature protagonists with questionable pasts.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Went ahead and grabbed Dark Fall 2 and both Aquanox games.

Goodbye, JoWood. :canada:

quote:

I'm still hoping for either Wheel of Time or Imperium Galactica which both feature protagonists with questionable pasts.

I'd be all over either of those. IG2 I never get anywhere in but it's just so drat impressive, and Wheel of Time was surprisingly fun.

Especially in multiplayer, considering the huge array of abilities - you never had any idea what your opponents would whip out.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Bought all of the JoWood games. It was cheaper that way than just getting the couple I wanted :)

I just installed Freespace 2 with all the bells and whistles but I think I remember someone in this thread being awesome and making a great Xbox 360 controller set-up for it. I can't seem to find it :(

If anyone backed that up, I could really use it right about now.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Bought all of the JoWood games. It was cheaper that way than just getting the couple I wanted :)

I just installed Freespace 2 with all the bells and whistles but I think I remember someone in this thread being awesome and making a great Xbox 360 controller set-up for it. I can't seem to find it :(

Are you thinking about Dominic White's Independence War 2 one?

Dominic White posted:

Okay, for those of us who aren't having horrible technical problems (seems to be that ATI folks are fine, NVidia is having trouble) with I-War 2, here's my finished 360 controller config file. Drop it in your I-War 2\Configs directory and select it in the in-game controls menu.

Here's what stuff does. Keyboard binds remain unchanged:

D-Pad - Navigates menus, including HUD
Left Stick - Pitch/Yaw. Hold stick down to roll. Click it to disable autopilot.
Right Stick - Lateral Thrusters. Click it to toggle flight assistance.
Analogue triggers - Throttle forwards/back
Right Bumper - Fire
Left Bumper - Cycle Guns
Select - Cycle Missiles
Start - Target nearest enemy/Skip Cutscenes and dialogue
A - Selects stuff. Targets object under reticule.
B - Cancels stuff. Targets mission-critical objects.
X & Y - Scroll through target list.

I almost never have to touch the keyboard. Feels so nice. As I'm running a 16:10 monitor, I also dug into the flux.ini file and added 0.2 to every field_of_view entry. Aside from a spikey little polygon edge I can see at the edge of the cockpit while accelerating hard, it looks nice.

Edit: Updated it, with the Undock button removed, as it was conflicting with missions where you have to tow stuff. Just hit U on the keyboard to drop stuff, or select it from the HUD menu.

Edit 2: Oh, hey - turns out the Target Under Reticule button is multifunctional. Press it repeatedly to cycle subsystems for targetting, or to tag pirated cargo for Jafs to haul off. I just completed two missions without touching the keyboard.

Oh, and as for that warning of that early mission where you get jumped by a pair of corvettes? I just flew straight at them and chewed them up. Barely took any damage. Fancy thruster maneuvers really screw up enemy targetting. This game is awesome.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blodskur posted:

Are you thinking about Dominic White's Independence War 2 one?

No, the other one was a picture highlighting which button would do what. I'm pretty sure it was this thread...

Thanks anyway, keeping that one for when I install IW2 :D

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

al-azad posted:

It's better than the LotR hack and slashers because you have more fine tuning over your characters, the combat mechanics are tighter, the scripted sequences are far more interesting, there's some actual design to the levels like traps and hazards, and it makes better use of the D&D license than the LotR games made of the movies.
This statement intrigues me because I fairly loved the RotK beat 'em up, or at least the levels that were simply about pounding the crap out of scores of orcs/easterlings (i.e. Gandalf's levels, the second half of the Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli's levels, and the Tower of Cirith Ungol). If Demon Stone is anywhere near as entertaining as that, I think I'll have to spring for it.

How are its controls on PC, does anyone know? Will I be able to get my 360 controller to work with it?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No, the other one was a picture highlighting which button would do what. I'm pretty sure it was this thread...

Perhaps someone made a graphical map for my config? Either way, I'd like to see it - I tried doing one, but it came out looking horrible, so I just went with plain text.

The game feels like it was meant to be played with a dual-analogue controller. The only thing I couldn't get working right was analogue throttle, which is apparently hardcoded to not really work with the 360 triggers, but it's no big deal - you'll want to be moving in bursts of heavy thrust, not idling at 70% impulse.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

iastudent posted:

It lacked the depth but the improved graphics and casual ease of the game meant it was quite a straightforward and light RPG. I enjoyed Dark Alliance, I know a lot more people didn't though...

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I tweaked FS2 to work with my 360 controller and might have mentioned it in this thread. Honestly though I don't have any idea how to export the config. It's not hard, it only took me about twenty minutes but make sure you have a pen and a sheet of notebook paper to write down all of the functions you have to leave on the keyboard because it is completely impossible to put all of the poo poo you need to do on a gamepad.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bought the Guild, Spellforce and Divine Divinity here. Playing The Guild; give me a few years, I'll turn London into a crime-ridden hellhole.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

andrew smash posted:

I tweaked FS2 to work with my 360 controller and might have mentioned it in this thread. Honestly though I don't have any idea how to export the config. It's not hard, it only took me about twenty minutes but make sure you have a pen and a sheet of notebook paper to write down all of the functions you have to leave on the keyboard because it is completely impossible to put all of the poo poo you need to do on a gamepad.

I figured. I'll just make something of it.

Dominic White posted:

Perhaps someone made a graphical map for my config?

Downloaded IW2 to test your set-up. Thank you so much, it's perfect :)

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Syberia is 60% off for today only.

I've already got this one. Too bad the second one isn't on sale as well.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Momonari kun posted:

Thanks, grabbing this. I really like the game and here's a price I'm willing to pay to own it on GOG.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Demon Stone is an ok game, its linear, single player and you get to play as Drizzt for a few minutes. 5-6 hours and no replay value. It's pretty much just for the Forgotten Realms crowd. Not worth the :10bux: though, that's a little high.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Momonari kun posted:

Would someone who really enjoyed The Longest Journey (but hated the way Dreamfall ended halfway through the story with no sequel in sight) like the Syberia games?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Would someone who really enjoyed The Longest Journey (but hated the way Dreamfall ended halfway through the story with no sequel in sight) like the Syberia games?

Absolutely, and 4 bucks is a great price. Syberia is TLJ's closest relative.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I just made a post about this on GOG, but can someone tell me how to run an inn in The Guild? Selling beer at the market is okay but I can do the same thing with any other crafting profession. My understanding is that I need to keep beer in stock overnight, but I've only managed to get that to do anything once and the results weren't very impressive.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ToxicFrog posted:

Syberia isn't as "epic" as The Longest Journey and the protagonist sorta becomes a non-character in the second game (from what I remember), but gameplay-wise they are very similar. I think Syberia may even have better puzzles too, as I don't really remember a bad puzzle on the level of the inflatable duck, but it's been a while.

The soundtrack kicks rear end, too.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Momonari kun posted:

Thanks! Syberia is one of those games I've really wanted to buy from Gog. Registered this weekend to preorder Witcher 2, and this unusually good sale pops up. Perfect timing.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Momonari kun posted:

I am such a sucker for this stuff. I bought Syberia, and it's not like I don't have at least 10 adventures to play before it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Site upgrade is complete, and they're releasing another free game later today: Dragonsphere by Microprose.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I can't tell if I've even heard of Dragonsphere before or not, but after looking up a few old, praising reviews, I'm really excited that I get to play it soon. GOG's doing a cool thing again. :)

edit: Oh and by the way, the game's now released: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dragonsphere

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 5, 2011

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Trials in the plane of the spirits? Now I see where Dragon Age got that from, then.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Another game I wasn't expecting. I didn't know Atari had anything to do with MicroProse although I think GT Interactive bought them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

al-azad posted:

Another game I wasn't expecting. I didn't know Atari had anything to do with MicroProse although I think GT Interactive bought them out.
Hasbro bought Microprose, then shut down all their good studios and focused the company on making PC versions of boardgames. Hasbro's interactive division shockingly went tits up. Infogrames bought Hasbro's interactive division and related intellectual property, GT Interactive, and also acquired Atari's rights and assets. They rebranded everything Atari because what the hell is "Infogrames"?

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 5, 2011