Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

onezero posted:

House got broken into today.
Sorry for your loss. :smith:

Seriously, anyone who doesn't have it, call your auto insurance provider tomorrow and add renter's insurance. It's ridiculously cheap and at least provides some peace of mind if you're worried about being robbed. Just keep in mind there are usually some gotchas if you generate income from your equipment or otherwise use it commercially, so be upfront with your agent about that.

Out of curiosity, where was your gear at in the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you have the serial numbers of your gear, try going to the local pawn shops and giving them the list. You might not get your gear back, but at least it'll make it harder for the thieves to pawn it off. Might not be a bad idea to post something on the local Craislist photo section as well, though I'm no expert on that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I like to think that I have so many backpacks, messenger bags, and other carrying cases stored in my closet that thieves would give up and assume there's just nothing valuable in there and swipe the PS3, 360, Wii, LCD TV, etc.

poo poo half the time I forget which bag I used last and where my 7D is.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

onezero posted:

d70s gone.
d7000 gone.
Tamron 17-50 gone.
SB-600 gone.
4 day old Lenovo i5 thinkpad gone.

No renters insurance.

No loving renters insurance. Let this be an object lesson. It was one of those "oh yeah I should get around to that" things for me. Well, poo poo. Go sign up for some tomorrow.

At least they were nice enough to leave my manfrotto tripod and my camera cases...i guess. Although it's a big "gently caress you" to not have anything to put on/in them.

le sigh.

Ouch, sorry to hear.

I've had my photo gear stolen as well (and ONLY photo gear) - file a report with the police. That'll save you the hassle of having to call all the pawn shops - at least in Vancouver, pawn shops have to submit a list of serial numbers every day to the police, which is then run against records of stolen property. If there's a match the item will be surrendered back to you.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Yeah, SN #s are in the hands of SPD now. Going to be trolling the Sea-Tac craigslist for a shot in the dark as well.

I've had http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/ thrown out as a recommendation to. Worth a shot, I guess.

Gear was on a bookshelf next to my desk in my main kitchen/living area. I live in a one bedroom, groundlevel, recessed from street, and I tend to keep the shades closed when I'm not around, but it's not terribly hard to sneak a peek inside. In hindsight, clearly could have been ways to conceal my gear better, but it's just not something I really considered much.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

onezero posted:

d70s gone.
d7000 gone.
Tamron 17-50 gone.
SB-600 gone.

No renters insurance.

No loving renters insurance. Let this be an object lesson. It was one of those "oh yeah I should get around to that" things for me. Well, poo poo. Go sign up for some tomorrow.

At least they were nice enough to leave my manfrotto tripod and my camera cases...i guess. Although it's a big "gently caress you" to not have anything to put on/in them.

le sigh.

Look into where you bought your laptop. Seriously.

My friend got robbed after buying a new laptop as he had to give his home address and poo poo to the place he was buying from. Turns out an employee decided to get in on the "rich" guy who just dropped $1500 on some easy to pawn electronic gear.

I've been robbed and the feeling is loving poo poo. Hate those scumbags.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

I like how they blurred the printout sitting on her laptop.

Even a photo like that has to go through security clearance.. must be one hell of a hard job for a photographer.

They're sitting in a SCIF, where as a general rule, no photography, nothing that can capture or record images or sounds are even aloud to be turned on, let alone used. The guy that does the review of those images for security purposes likely goes slowly over it at 100% for an hour to make sure nothings going out that shouldn't.

edit: NOFORN is what it sounds like, by the way. It just means no release to foreign nationals.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 4, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

nonanone posted:

Ah yeah I know IADT, I've photographed their fashion show before. As it so happens, I live in Ann Arbor (what's up afoolishpianist), and so if you want to go to Necto on Friday (which is gay night) it's a ton of fun. It's only a half hour drive from downtown Detroit, so not bad at all, and I have a car :D. Here's a good place to start looking at places you might want to photograph if you're interested in architecture and awesome old buildings. http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places

This: http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/scripps I want to photograph this.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

http://hypebeast.com/2011/05/sasha-grey-neu-sex-book-signing-martha-otero-gallery/

Wow that's weird. I know nothing about portraiture but I like the candid idea I guess.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's that polaroid body you see in there?

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A5H posted:

http://hypebeast.com/2011/05/sasha-grey-neu-sex-book-signing-martha-otero-gallery/

Wow that's weird. I know nothing about portraiture but I like the candid idea I guess.

haha that book is such bullshit. it's nothing but an exercise in narcissism. a photobook, except they forgot to put good photos in it.

like, this line is cool

quote:

the star began documenting herself (with the assistance of her fiance) to capture her most intimate moments
because it doesn't describe a single one of the photos. they're all posed & contrived. there's no insight into the adult entertainment industry like you'd expect from the description. it's simply a bunch of pictures that are indistinguishable from so many myspace/facebook photos, but happen to feature sasha grey.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

surgical scar posted:

haha that book is such bullshit. it's nothing but an exercise in narcissism. a photobook, except they forgot to put good photos in it.

like, this line is cool
because it doesn't describe a single one of the photos. they're all posed & contrived. there's no insight into the adult entertainment industry like you'd expect from the description. it's simply a bunch of pictures that are indistinguishable from so many myspace/facebook photos, but happen to feature sasha grey.

Hey well these guys look like serious artists with their beards, glasses, and silly hats and they approve. So obviously you're wrong!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

onezero posted:

Yeah, SN #s are in the hands of SPD now. Going to be trolling the Sea-Tac craigslist for a shot in the dark as well.

I've had http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/ thrown out as a recommendation to. Worth a shot, I guess.

Gear was on a bookshelf next to my desk in my main kitchen/living area. I live in a one bedroom, groundlevel, recessed from street, and I tend to keep the shades closed when I'm not around, but it's not terribly hard to sneak a peek inside. In hindsight, clearly could have been ways to conceal my gear better, but it's just not something I really considered much.

Sorry to hear that. Did you buy any of the stuff with a credit card? Some credit card companies offer theft protection. I read somewhere that the stolencamerafinder.com doesn't work very well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

Sorry to hear that. Did you buy any of the stuff with a credit card? Some credit card companies offer theft protection. I read somewhere that the stolencamerafinder.com doesn't work very well.

It works as long as the EXIF isn't being stripped and the images are getting indexed.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

onezero posted:

d70s gone.
d7000 gone.
Tamron 17-50 gone.
SB-600 gone.

No renters insurance.

le sigh.

That's despicable. Sorry, dude.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

onezero posted:

d70s gone.
d7000 gone.
Tamron 17-50 gone.
SB-600 gone.

No renters insurance.

le sigh.

Did your laptop have one of those theft protection features in the motherboard? My super old XPS has an option in the BIOS settings to turn on this thing that, whenever the laptop is connected to the internet, some kind of location data is stored on a server. I assume that I could get this information from Dell if my laptop was ever stolen.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Renters insurance is like $30/year for an apartment. My camera rider on top of that is like $40/yr for $10k of coverage.

Jellyko
Mar 3, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

What's that polaroid body you see in there?

I think it's a Big Shot.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

tuyop posted:

Did your laptop have one of those theft protection features in the motherboard? My super old XPS has an option in the BIOS settings to turn on this thing that, whenever the laptop is connected to the internet, some kind of location data is stored on a server. I assume that I could get this information from Dell if my laptop was ever stolen.

It's possible. I only had it for a few days (delivered on Saturday), had barely gotten it turned on more than a couple times.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A couple things about insurance. If you do work for money make sure it's covered for commercial use. If you don't and you get caught, you may get nothing. Secondly, be sure it covers the replacement value of your gear. I don't know what they pay if you don't, but I've heard it won't be enough for you buy a new copy of what you had.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

onezero posted:

:sympathy:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's an anecdote and so worth very little, but last year a grad student at a big conference I was at had his DSLR lifted from the hostel, but was returned to him, undamaged, by the police a couple of days later when they caught the guy breaking into a car. Sometimes you get a bit of good luck to balance the bad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Just to depress you further:

It has been known for theieves to return to the same place a few weeks later and steal all the new stuff that was bought with the insurance money. (Which, unfortunately, you will not have)

I hope that this doesn't lead to sleepless nights, but at least get the landlord to boost the security there.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Here's a bts video of Martin Schoeller for the Time100 people shoots he did. http://youtu.be/1M7rSayb05M I see everything from Mamiya MFs to those huge Fuji rangefinders. Hell yea, he still shoots film with Polaroid tests.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Haggins posted:

A couple things about insurance. If you do work for money make sure it's covered for commercial use. If you don't and you get caught, you may get nothing. Secondly, be sure it covers the replacement value of your gear. I don't know what they pay if you don't, but I've heard it won't be enough for you buy a new copy of what you had.

I dont know how they would work out doing depreciation but I think most places now would do old for new on electronics.

Also make sure you keep either receipts or the boxes of pretty much everything you buy. And keep them seperate.

Insurance companies need proof that you owned what you do and often this is just a box of the thing or receipts (It might seem weird keeping receipts for stuff 4 years down the track but it makes sense if its over $100)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

What's the absolute cheapest way to get perspective control? I was thinking a used Nex 3 and some kind of russian lens adapted. I see there are m4/3 perspective control adaptors, wondering about that.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

poopinmymouth posted:

What's the absolute cheapest way to get perspective control? I was thinking a used Nex 3 and some kind of russian lens adapted. I see there are m4/3 perspective control adaptors, wondering about that.

A used Nikon PC lens and Canon adapter for your 5D might be cheaper than a used NEX. The 28mm manual focus PC seems to go for $400ish on KEH.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

8th-samurai posted:

A used Nikon PC lens and Canon adapter for your 5D might be cheaper than a used NEX. The 28mm manual focus PC seems to go for $400ish on KEH.

I've been having luck with lightroom's perspective adjustment, but I love the look of the perspective controlled shots. I'm wondering if I'm too lazy to actually setup and use a t/s setup though. Has there every been a pocket camera with perspective controls? I don't need full tilt and shift, just shift.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

I've been having luck with lightroom's perspective adjustment, but I love the look of the perspective controlled shots. I'm wondering if I'm too lazy to actually setup and use a t/s setup though. Has there every been a pocket camera with perspective controls? I don't need full tilt and shift, just shift.
This and a Pentacon Six lens would probably work. They appear to be out of stock now, but it might be worth contacting them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
http://www.coroflot.com/nedmulka/d5r/1

Why does everyone want to redesign the DSLR so badly? It's probably been the same basic design for like seventy years for a reason. Anyway, this one has the mirror and viewfinder attached to the lens instead of the body so you rotate those two things instead of the whole camera.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

What's the absolute cheapest way to get perspective control?
This? Not exactly cheap though at $430, but no adapters required for an existing canon body

tuyop posted:

Why does everyone want to redesign the DSLR so badly?

[rant]
Because they're wanker "industrial design" types, almost always students, who will never actually produce anything in their life beyond hype and bullshit publicity for their ideas that are never, EVER going to happen, so they can show off their hype generating abilities to get jobs with other "industrial design" types who will also never ever produce anything other than hype. They do this so they can all take long lunches together on Friday afternoons and circle-jerk each other and pretend they are doing something constructive with their lives and for society. Please stop feeding them.

This one is nearly as retarded as that inverted-Y-shaped canon "dslr" that was held with two hands and couldn't actually be used by an actual photographer that was proposed a few months ago. But since they are "industrial designers", they have absolutely no idea what end users require, just so long as it co-ordinates with their iPhone.
[/rant]

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 5, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They're mostly student projects/concepts.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

tuyop posted:

http://www.coroflot.com/nedmulka/d5r/1

Why does everyone want to redesign the DSLR so badly? It's probably been the same basic design for like seventy years for a reason. Anyway, this one has the mirror and viewfinder attached to the lens instead of the body so you rotate those two things instead of the whole camera.

SLRs have had the same basic design for seventy years because of the requirements of 35mm film. Now that there's no need for film, there's no need for the form factor.

While that design isn't something I'd care to use, experiments in improving SLR form factor should only be encouraged.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

Just to depress you further:

It has been known for theieves to return to the same place a few weeks later and steal all the new stuff that was bought with the insurance money. (Which, unfortunately, you will not have)

I hope that this doesn't lead to sleepless nights, but at least get the landlord to boost the security there.

But that could also be an opportunity. Set up a surveillance camera and try to get their faces.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

This and a Pentacon Six lens would probably work. They appear to be out of stock now, but it might be worth contacting them.

Yeah, I would just go with something like this + a medium format lens on your 5D. I am all about the NEX-3, but unless you need super-compact (and I'm guessing you'd be working from a tripod for this application anyways, so the NEX's size advantage would be negated) I'd go with the 5D.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Thanks guys. I think it's ultimately going to be more hassle than it's worth. Oh well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

SLRs have had the same basic design for seventy years because of the requirements of 35mm film. Now that there's no need for film, there's no need for the form factor.

While that design isn't something I'd care to use, experiments in improving SLR form factor should only be encouraged.
Yet I've never seen something as obvious as just rotating the right-side grip 45 towards the back to make the whole thing more comfortable to hold to your face.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xzzy posted:

But that could also be an opportunity. Set up a surveillance camera and try to get their faces.
If you want to do this, I have an old wireless security camera that outputs composite video that I'll send you on the condition that you pay it forward and send it to the next goon who needs one.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

evil_bunnY posted:

Yet I've never seen something as obvious as just rotating the right-side grip 45 towards the back to make the whole thing more comfortable to hold to your face.

Seriously. That design has no advantage over a conventional SLR, because it doesn't take into account that you're supposed to hold the lens with your offhand. What's going to happen to the shooter's stability when they put a 200mm lens on that thing? What's going to happen to the servos that swivel the viewfinder/mirror housing? It's just not practical at all. I wonder if that designer even takes pictures at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt

McMadCow posted:

Seriously. That design has no advantage over a conventional SLR, because it doesn't take into account that you're supposed to hold the lens with your offhand. What's going to happen to the shooter's stability when they put a 200mm lens on that thing? What's going to happen to the servos that swivel the viewfinder/mirror housing? It's just not practical at all. I wonder if that designer even takes pictures at all.
Besides, it turns the wrong way, doesn't it? I thought the standard thing to do when shooting portrait was to rotate the camera counter-clockwise, not clockwise.

...or do I just do it weird?

e: no nevermind, I looked at more of the pictures and the idea is you don't rotate the camera at all

anabatica fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 5, 2011