Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jng2058 posted:

but there is no bigger Mary Sue in literature today than Honor loving Harrington!

Calliope O'Neal
Michael O'Neal
Michelle O'Neal
Mike Harmon/Jenkins (<-- kills Osama Bin Laden in his first book)
Eric "Two-Gun" Berg

Ringo's much worse for Mary Sues (don't get me loving started on his Ghost series). Honor is pretty bad for it, but I'm convinced it's a by-product of having 11 books dedicated to her back-to-back. Weber finally figured out that he had to start writing about people other than her because she was a walking Deus Ex Machina. But that's alright, it gave us more time with Anton Zilwicki and Victor Cachat (who isn't even Weber's creation).

To be fair to Weber though, most of his other protagonists aren't Mary Sues. Alicia DeVries, Colin whatever his last name is in the Dahak books, nobody in the Bug-verse books or the Hell's Gate stuff. Nimue Alban/Merlin Athrawes kind of counts, but it's sort of a central point to the character that he's outright superhuman, so...

Slaan posted:

I really want him to finish those. But he seems to get into the habit of writing 3/4 of a story, and then doing nothing with it. :argh:

Yeah, he seems to have dropped Hell's Gate (for now at least), but he wrote a fourth Safehold book recently (A Mighty Fortress, and it's pretty drat awesome). Some of his best stuff is one-off stories, though. The Apocalypse Troll or Path of the Furies/In Fury Born. And I actually really got into the Empire of Man books, and that's like the sperg holocaust of series (Weber/Ringo).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I honestly don't mind early Kai. Early Kai is a kid who feels so much pressure to measure up to his super-genius family that he is absolutely convinced he is going to fail. He has the worst case of performance anxiety ever, and if it weren't for his being super-godlike awesome at everything he tries, that alone would make him a very good and endearing character.

Basically, what I'm saying is, Kai's "performance anxiety" would be far more enjoyable if he were less capable.

Later Kai, however, knows how capable he is and yet REFUSES TO DO OR ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING WITH HIS LIFE which makes him an unforgivably bad character. Yes, I know other Authors were trying not to step on Stackpole's toes by overusing him; but Kai's adamant refusal to take over the Capellan Confederation in the face of Romano and Sun-Tzu and etc ruins any chance of him ever being a likeable character.

It's like watching a super-genius scientist who has the knowledge and potential to cure cancer sit around all day devising ways to make Doritos taste better fighting in an arena and murdering people for the enjoyment of others. It's... unthinkable.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 4, 2011

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Close Quarters (Victor Milan)
Hearts of Chaos (Victor Milan)
Black Dragon (Victor Milan)
I vaguely recall one of these being half about Cassie Suthorn being badass and half about a female yakuza / Battle Armor pilot being badass and opposing her, but I can't remember which one. That was probably my favorite Battletech book.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Merry Marauder posted:

There's some recursive irony here, what with Honor Harrington being Hornblower in Space. Hornblower's fatal flaw in the earlier books is his lack of confidence, a trait Stackpole gave to Kai Allard-Liao in a totally doomed attempt to make him seem relatable. I have long been inclined to keep my annoyance level with KA-L at a low simmer, considering Stackpole's need to somehow make him more awesome than Justin. He failed, but I'm not sure it could have been done.

Hornblower didn't have a loving treecat give him the telepathic ability to tell if people are lying to him! Also, he spends most of his career in obscurity, often on half-pay and barely able to eat when not at sea. Honor, on the other hand, was a Countess and the Savior of Grayson by BOOK TWO (of eleven and counting.)

Also, while Horatio wins a duel at one point if I recall right, he's never considered a brilliant shot, expert swordsman, and especially, not an 8th degree black belt in a fictional martial art!

In short, whatever Mary Sue-isms the original Hornblower may have had, Weber makes exponentially worse with Harrington.

Weber should have killed her in At All Costs the way he was planning to originally.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's like watching a super-genius scientist who has the knowledge and potential to cure cancer sit around all day devising ways to make Doritos taste better fighting in an arena and murdering people for the enjoyment of others. It's... unthinkable.

One of the many reasons I hate Reed Richards.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, he seems to have dropped Hell's Gate (for now at least), but he wrote a fourth Safehold book recently (A Mighty Fortress, and it's pretty drat awesome). Some of his best stuff is one-off stories, though. The Apocalypse Troll or Path of the Furies/In Fury Born. And I actually really got into the Empire of Man books, and that's like the sperg holocaust of series (Weber/Ringo).

I'd love to see a fourth Empire of Man book, though I guess he did kind of paint himself into a corner by wiping out 99.999% of the Fourth Empire and placing the Achuultani homeworld so far away. The Safehold series is fun though, since it's an extended do-over of Heirs of Empire and I loved that book.

I've got The Apocalypse Troll around here somewhere but I never read it; maybe I should check it out, since you like it.

So, if there's no Clan Wolf in this timeline, who are the Jade Falcons always squabbling and playing one-upmanship games with, Widowmaker?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

All that said, I do enjoy the Starfire books by Weber, which were based on the old Starfire space combat on hexes game.

Those would be: Crusade, In Death Ground, The Shiva Option, and Insurrection.

Following as he is the history of that game universe, he can't Mary Sue any one character for very long before that character has to retire or dies, so his more extreme tendencies don't come into play.

So under the right circumstances it needn't be too horrible....but I've no confidence that there would be enough editorial control for such a big name author, and anyway, they couldn't afford him even if he wanted to do it. Which, considering that he bailed on Starfire and Steve White wrote all of Exodus, makes it unlikely he does.

I mean, if he isn't even playing in the game universe he partially created, why would he go play in someone else's?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Notgothic posted:

So, if there's no Clan Wolf in this timeline, who are the Jade Falcons always squabbling and playing one-upmanship games with, Widowmaker?

The Steel Vipers. The Rubber Vipers and Clan Jade Chicken hate each other.

Gay Abortions posted:

I vaguely recall one of these being half about Cassie Suthorn being badass and half about a female yakuza / Battle Armor pilot being badass and opposing her, but I can't remember which one. That was probably my favorite Battletech book.

That's Close Quarters. Of the three, it's the best because Cassie was a new and interesting idea at that point. By Black Dragon, she's kinda played out. Kinda like Drizzt, except female and with guns.

Also: poo poo has hit the fan (and I don't mean the warrior's rotors)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 5, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Notgothic posted:

I'd love to see a fourth Empire of Man book, though I guess he did kind of paint himself into a corner by wiping out 99.999% of the Fourth Empire and placing the Achuultani homeworld so far away. The Safehold series is fun though, since it's an extended do-over of Heirs of Empire and I loved that book.

I must be getting my series mixed up, because I just refer to that one as the Dahak books. The Empire of Man (or what I've been calling that) stuff is March Upcountry/March to the Stars/etc with Prince Richard whatever and his personal marine battalion stranded on a pre-technological world with lizard-like natives. Still very Weber in tone but with lots of Ringo-style ground-pounder oorah.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also: poo poo has hit the fan (and I don't mean the warrior's rotors)

This is what I have been missing. The Let's Read is awesome, but nothing makes me :f5: like one of these tantalizing hints.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I love Wolf Pack the most, partly for how they send Takashi Kurita off like a champ. Brian Cameron is an accessible character- he's not a super badass ninja, he's pretty much just a decent 'mech pilot with valuable secondary skills, an important job, and a nonabrasive personality.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

WarLocke posted:

I must be getting my series mixed up, because I just refer to that one as the Dahak books. The Empire of Man (or what I've been calling that) stuff is March Upcountry/March to the Stars/etc with Prince Richard whatever and his personal marine battalion stranded on a pre-technological world with lizard-like natives. Still very Weber in tone but with lots of Ringo-style ground-pounder oorah.

Oh, you're probably right, I never read those so I assumed you were talking about the Dahak books. Whoops. Anyway, the important thing is I'd love to see Dahak kicking rear end and being a Death Star and leading a squadron of same, one more time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation Himinbjörg: Tactical Update 8

Movement Phase

Combat Phase:
H1 Valkyrie fires LRM 10 at P1 Locust (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range + 2 minimum range = 8): rolled 7, miss!
H1 Valkyrie fires Medium Laser at P3 Warrior! (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 fog + 1 secondary target in forward arc = 6): rolled 8, hit left side (0/5 armor remains)!
H1 Valkyrie gains 8 heat, sinks 11! 0 heat builds up!

H2 Commando fires SRM 4 at P3 Warrior (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 5): rolled 7, 4 missiles hit left side (1/3 structure remains (critical chance!)), front (2/6 armor remains), front (0/6 armor remains), front (1/3 structure remains (critical chance!))! Critical chance!
H2 Commando fires Medium Laser at P3 Warrior (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 fog = 6): rolled 5, miss!
H2 Commando gains 6 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

H3 Assassin fires SRM 2 at P3 Warrior (4 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 7): rolled 3, miss!
H3 Assassin fires medium laser at P3 Warrior (4 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 fog = 8): rolled 4, miss!
H3 Assassin gains 12 heat, sinks 10! 2 heat builds up!

H4 Javelin fires SRM 6 at S1 Stinger (4 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 range = 10): rolled 7, miss!
H4 Javelin gains 7 heat, sinks 11! 0 heat builds up!

S1 Stinger Torso Twists right!
S1 Stinger fires medium laser at H4 Javelin (4 base + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 fog = 9): rolled 9, hit right arm (1/6 armor remains)!
S2 Stinger gains 5 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

S2 Stinger holds fire!
S2 Stinger gains 0 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

S3 Scorpion Light Tank holds fire!

S4 Galleon Light Tank holds fire!

P1 Locust fires Medium Laser at H1 Valkyrie (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 fog = 9): rolled 11, hit left leg (7/12 armor remains)!
P1 Locust fires Medium Laser at H1 Valkyrie (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 fog = 9): rolled 2, miss!
P1 Locust gains 8 heat, sinks 10! 0 heat builds up!

P2 Locust holds fire!

P3 Warrior fires SRM 4 at H2 Commando (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 5): rolled 10, 3 missiles hit left torso (0/6 armor remains), left arm (4/6 armor remains), center torso (1/8 armor remains)!

End Phase
P3 Warrior critical chance on left side! No critical hit sustained!

P3 Warrior critical chance on front side! Weapon destroyed!
Autocannon/2 Destroyed!

Physical Combat Phase:
H1 Valkyire punches building hex 0921! Automatic hit (0/15 structure remains)! Building hex 0921 collapses into rubble! 200,000 c-bills in damage sustained!

Building in hexes 0820, 0921, and 1021 collapses into rubble! 2,400,000 c-bills in damage sustained!

H3 Asassin kicks Building Hex 1123! Automatic hit (7/15 structure remains)! 130,000 c-bills in damage sustained!

H4 Javelin punches S1 Stinger with Right Arm (4 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
H4 Javelin punches S1 Stinger with Left Arm (4 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 2, miss!

S1 Stinger punches H4 Javelin with Right Arm (4 base + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, hit head (4/6 armor remains)! Pilot hit!

End Phase:

H4 Javelin must pass a 3+ consciousness roll! Rolled 6, succeeds!

P2 Locust activates floodlight!

P3 Warrior deactivates floodlight!

Snow cursed as a swarm of LRMs crossed in front of his target, causing his SRMs to lose their lock and spiral off to detonate harmlessly in the park. He stabbed his thumb down on the primary TIC, firing his laser ineffectually at the space the Warrior VTOL had just occupied.

Already rapidly ascending, the Warrior launched a quartet of its own SRMs at the Commando—but without any sort of radio contact, Snow couldn’t tell what sort of damage had been done.

“The Package has been delivered,” the androgynously-feminine voice on his radio called quietly. “The Little Cock has left the henhouse. Primary mission objective has changed: Destroy the Heavy Snow Nightclub. Leave no evidence of our agent’s presence.”

The ex-Lyran Guardsman checked his radar and cursed—the target was on the other side of the park and, if his magnetic resonance scanners could be trusted, even more enemy ‘Mechs had just arrived.

“Just another stroll through Tharkad City,” he mumbled darkly, trying to formulate some kind of plan. Without any way to communicate with his Lance, he wasn’t sure certain there was much he could do.

Enemy Forces:
S1 STG-3G Stinger: jumps 3 to 1903! Floodlight active!
S2 STG-3G Stinger: jumps 6 to 1210! Floodlight active!
S3 Scorpion Light Tank: Flanks 2 to hex 1710!
S4 GAL-100 Galleon Light Tank: Flanks 2 to hex 0513!
P1 LCT-1E Locust: walks 2 to hex 1321!
P2LCT-1S Locust: runs 3 to hex 1322! Floodlight active!
P3 Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopter ascends to Height 7! P3 Warrior ascends above the fog! Flanks 8 to hex 1220! Currently at height 7!
G1 Home Guard Griffin enters the map on hex 0116!
G2 Home Guard Jaegermech enters the map on hex 2110!
G3 Home Guard Von Luckner Heavy Tank enters the map on hex 0127!

Mission Objectives
Destroy the Statue of Duke Lestrade (hex 1214) to draw LOKI away from the Heavy Snow Nightclub! (Complete!)
Destroy the Heavy Snow Nightclub (orange) Building! (0/3 hexes destroyed)
Avoid damaging residential (blue) buildings! (0/20,000,000 c-bills in damage sustained)
Cause Property Damage to Commercial and Industrial (red) buildings or enemy units! (3,716,000/30,000,000 c-bills in damage caused)
Await Further Objectives!

H1 VLK-QA Valkyrie
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 4/4
RT A(S): 7/12 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 9/9 (5/5)
RA A(S): 9/9 (5/5)
LL A(S): 7/12 (7/7)
RL A(S): 12/12 (7/7)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 11
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Rain
Mechwarrior Player: Dominus Caedis
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 10, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 1 hand (Left)

H2 COM-2D Commando
Weight: 25 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
LT A(S): 0/6 (6/6)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 1/8 (8/8)
RT A(S): 4/6 (6/6)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 4/6 (4/4)
RA A(S): 6/6 (4/4)
LL A(S): 8/8 (6/6)
RL A(S): 6/8 (6/6)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior Name: “Sleet”
Mechwarrior Player: Terror Storm
Armament:
SRM 6 – CT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 14, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 4 – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 22, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

H3 ASN-21 Assassin
Weight: tons (Class)
HD A(S): 8/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 10/10 (10/10)
CT A(S): 12/12 (12/12)
RT A(S): 10/10 (10/10)
LA A(S): 6/6 (6/6)
RA A(S): 6/6 (6/6)
LL A(S): 6/6 (10/10)
RL A(S): 6/6 (10/10)
Heat: 2/30
Movement: 7/11/7
Mechwarrior Name: Snow
Mechwarrior Player: Capskye
Armament:
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – RT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 22, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
SRM 2 – LT (Heat: 2, Ammo: 46, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand (Left)

H4 JVN-10N Javelin
Weight: 30 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 4/6 (3/3)
LT A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
CT A(S): 8/8 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 2/2
RT A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
LA A(S): 1/6 (5/5)
RA A(S): 1/6 (5/5)
LL A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
RL A(S): 8/8 (7/7)
Heat: 1/30
Overheat Penalty:
Movement: 6/9/6
Mechwarrior Name: Hail
Mechwarrior Player: TildeATH
Mechwarrior Status: Shrapnel Wound (3+ consciousness)!
Armament:
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 23, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: -, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status
S1 STG-3G Stinger
Tonnage: 20 tons
Pilot: Piloting 3, Gunnery 4
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

S2 STG-3G Stinger
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

S3 Scorpion Light Tank
Tonnage: 25 tons
Pilot: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Armament: Autocannon/5, Machine Gun
Motive System Damage: None!
Notes:

S4 GAL-100 Galleon Light Tank
Tonnage: 30 tons
Pilot: Driving 3, Gunnery 4
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 Small Lasers
Motive System Damage: +1 penalty on all driving skill rolls!
Notes:

P1 LCT-1E Locust
Armament: 2 Medium Lasers, 2 Small Lasers
Notes:

P2LCT-1S Locust
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 SRM 2s
Notes:

P3 Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopter
Tonnage: 21 tons
Pilot: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Armament: Autocannon/2, SRM 4
Notes: Movement reduced to 8/12!

G1 Home Guard GRF-1N Griffin
Tonnage: 55 tons
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Armament: PPC, LRM 10
Notes:

G2 Home Guard JM6-S Jagermech
Tonnage: 65 tons
Armament: 2 Autocannon/2s, 2 Autocannon/5s, 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

G3 Home Guard VNL-K65N Von Luckner Heavy Tank
Tonnage: 75 tons
Pilot: Driving 2, Gunnery 1
Armament: Autocannon/20, 2 SRM 6s, SRM 4, LRM 10, Machine Gun, Flamer
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 28, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Oh god those reinforcements. A scary tank, a Griffin, and some junk. At least it can't get any wor.... LOOK AT THOSE PILOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 5, 2011

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ah yes, The Von-Luckner, the tank with the rear-mounted LRM rack. Seriously, wtf.

Fluff-wise it fires over the turret and the model has it pointed forward, but rules-wise it shoots over the back of the tank

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Oh dear lord those pilots.

On the plus side, I think as far as narrative is concerned the mission is a success. And you blew up a statue. Thats gotta count for something right?

Edit: Also if it isn't too late, sign me up to be a pilot. This seems like fun.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Just remember: You guys will blow up when you die. Make sure you park your mechs as close to the nightclub as possible.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I've read basically every BT novel once. I have read the following ones more:

-Wolves on the Border
-Exodus Road

My main problem is that most writers' method of getting me interested in their character is showing how great they are. And if I'm not already into them, clearly they need more awesome accomplishments and skills and not character worth reading about.

I'm reminded of how I once said Adam Steiner is bland and personality-free, and his fanboy responded by listing all the different mechs and fighters he can pilot and the battles he's won.

E: Holy poo poo boys, the 1st Royal Guard is after you.

Sair
May 11, 2007

KnoxZone posted:

Oh god those reinforcements. A scary tank, a Griffin, and some junk. At least it can't get any wor.... LOOK AT THOSE PILOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually that Jager can wreck you guys pretty well if you aren't careful.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Stop messing with the small-fry, the triangle in the center-left is a skyscraper. Blow that up.

Also, there's a disturbing lack of DFA so far.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 5, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Sair posted:

Actually that Jager can wreck you guys pretty well if you aren't careful.

A 1/2 Jager can be scary effective against light mechs, I will definitely agree with that.

On the other hand, a 1/2 anything would be brutal to light mechs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you guys are hosed now. The commando will be destroyed by a single 10-pt hit to the center torso, someone has to get halfway across the map, and you're surrounded. The 1/2 pilots are going to completely own you on even exchanges of fire, too.

This is now a suicide mission. I'm gonna predict that at least two mechs are destroyed before anyone takes out the nightclub; you aren't going to hit the damage c-bills target; and any future objectives that pop up are pretty unlikely to be successful either.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Time to get hopping I suppose, now a mission to survive long enough to take out the nightclub, lets use our jumpjets to avoid those 1/2s for as long as possible. Sorry Terror Storm...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Things we you know:

The Nightclub is made of the same armored glass that covers 'Mech cockpits. 'Mech cockpits have a maximum armor value of 9.

Also, the Valkyrie is no longer the most heavily armored 'Mech on the battlefield. Be wary.

VVV A light building will simply collapse under the weight of a 'Mech.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 5, 2011

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Is it possible to DFA a building?

Sair
May 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I think you guys are hosed now. The commando will be destroyed by a single 10-pt hit to the center torso, someone has to get halfway across the map, and you're surrounded. The 1/2 pilots are going to completely own you on even exchanges of fire, too.

This is now a suicide mission. I'm gonna predict that at least two mechs are destroyed before anyone takes out the nightclub; you aren't going to hit the damage c-bills target; and any future objectives that pop up are pretty unlikely to be successful either.

Watch your lines of sight. :)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I think mistake for everyone to move towards the nightclub considering: a) the Javelin is already there; b) I'm sure you'll need more damage to meet the other mission objective and the top of the map has depressingly little to destroy; c) the giant gently caress off tank that will blow you all up.

Also more walking into buildings drat it. Makes the enemy complete your objective for you and you have no armor to begin with.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

reinforcements!

:stare:

Okay new plan, everybody go position yourselves near the nightclub and weaker hostiles and hope you do some damage when you explode horribly

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If your `Mechs blow up when you die the answer is obvious.

Someone WALK INTO THE NIGHTCLUB.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
The Assassin is actually fairly safe if he walks into that giant factory right next to him. It should hold up for quite a while.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
There are a few nice things about this mission, especially following the last one. I think we can safely assume that any chance of the players escaping has evaporated, but we've already achieved a few objectives, and the ones that remain are still in sight. You don't need to survive - you need to do as much damage as possible before death. Make sure to stay near red buildings as you move, even if you take a fatal hit your backup explosives may be enough to take down another building. Dropping that chopper can't hurt your chances either. Remember, you are one-tenth of the way to the target damage number, after only three turns. And this is with only one building fully destroyed. The target can be achieved, but it's going to take some careful management of the time you've got left. I can't wait!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

G1 Home Guard Griffin enters the map on hex 0116!
G2 Home Guard Jaegermech enters the map on hex 2110!
G3 Home Guard Von Luckner Heavy Tank enters the map on hex 0127!

G1 Home Guard GRF-1N Griffin
Tonnage: 55 tons
Armament: PPC, LRM 10
Notes:

G2 Home Guard JM6-S Jagermech
Tonnage: 65 tons
Armament: 2 Autocannon/2s, 2 Autocannon/5s, 2 Medium Lasers
Notes:

G3 Home Guard VNL-K65N Von Luckner Heavy Tank
Tonnage: 75 tons
Pilot: Driving 2, Gunnery 1
Armament: Autocannon/20, 2 SRM 6s, SRM 4, LRM 10, Machine Gun, Flamer
Notes:

:stare:

:gonk:

1st thought: Why are there P2, G1 pilots here?!

Die with honor, players. You will not leave this scenario alive (barring god rolls on your end and terrible rolls on their end). That was the plan all along, wasn't it PTN?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Taerkar posted:

If your `Mechs blow up when you die the answer is obvious.

Someone WALK INTO THE NIGHTCLUB.

The Javelin could jump into 1608 and make a final stand while guaranteeing that the building will collapse when he explodes. Also the Valkyrie should double back and blow those round tanks like we've been saying since the mission started :black101:

edit: Valkyrie should stand in 0925 so that if he goes boom he heavily damages that 8 story tower.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Ho boy, here comes the royal guard. Yeah, this is now a suicide mission. Best bet is to go :happyelf: on the nightclub.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I think the point here is to let off some steam from the last mission - there's not really as bad consequences if we fail, and there're some nifty things that could happen if we succeed. Basically, sit back, relax, and blow some poo poo up before we get taken out.

Also, the Javelin should look at moving into hex 1507. Use the building as cover while you blow the poo poo out of the nightclub - kill two birds with one stone.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

KnoxZone posted:

Someone's going to get their rear end kicked now. :ohdear:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SageNytell posted:

I think the point here is to let off some steam from the last mission - there's not really as bad consequences if we fail

There're no failure consequences, in fact. The worst possible outcome is a return to the status quo.

VVV Actually, that's the only failure option. Running off map will get the players captured and unravel the plot.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 5, 2011

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Clearly the best option is to get back on the train and run the hell away. (You didn't blow that up, did you?) :fireman:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

the JJ posted:

It's always satisfying to see a well worn book cover.

Anyway, I'd love to see what Glen Cook could do with this 'verse. Black Company + The Dragon Never Sleeps + Big Stompy Robots = :confused:

It'd either be really good or really bad, but it's always fun to imagine what a wrter like him would do to an IP with a few to many Sues.

Now THAT is a wish I could get behind. If more battletech novels had the same mood as the Black Company books I'd've read more of them.

P.S. our pilots are boned, methinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 6)

Chapter 6
Solaris City, Solaris
2 August 3054

Days elapsed since book start: 102
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 2
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 0
Protagonists introduced since book start: 3
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: STILL 0
Chapters Spent on Northwind: 5

Jeremiah is in rare form this chapter, he’s arguing with a steward on the dropship he’s taking to Solaris for… no reason. The steward has Rose’s bags prepared so Jeremiah can be the first one through customs and off the ship, and Jeremiah is still being an rear end in a top hat for literally no reason. He even loving says so.

Main Event posted:

Jeremiah Rose was more than prepared to argue with the steward, mostly for the fun of it

I really hope you people understand why I say I hate Jeremiah Rose. I’m not just calling him a dickhead to be cruel, he really is a colossal jerk to everyone who isn’t a member and/or future member of the Black Thorns.

Anyway, before he can really get his jerk on, the Captain of the dropship calls Jeremiah to the bridge. Why is it that all of the good exchanges in the book come from people calling Jeremiah on his idiocy? Why are we supposed to like Jeremiah again?

Rather than following the Captain’s order, Rose demands that his black case (the one with his fuckoff laser hand-cannon) be ready for him at Cargo Bay Door II, and he guesses he’s willing to wait for the rest of the stuff. Even though the steward already told him that ALL of his cargo would be ready at the cargo bay door. Rose then rants about civilians and how he doesn’t think he can trust the steward to actually do as he asked.

We then learn that Rose has stormed onto the bridge of the ship before, but this is the first time he’s been invited.

:gonk:

REALLY? You’ve been antagonizing a dropship captain on his own bridge, you rear end in a top hat? Oh, and like everyone we’re supposed to dislike, the dropship’s captain is described as portly. gently caress you, Stackpole, you’re the one who set that precedent back in the Warrior trilogy.

Rose reaches the bridge and immediately wastes no time antagonizing Captain Waterson. The Captain has something to say, however, and since I approve of his message I’m going to include it verbatim.

Main Event posted:

“So, you’re still on the ship after all. When the crew reported you missing during the final cabin check , I thought you’d finally gotten impatient enough to walk.”

(NOTE: A passenger not in his cabin on landing is throwing off the dropship’s weight distribution and could cause it to spin catastrophically out of control and crash)

“The thought hadn’t occurred to me, Captain, but now that you mention it…”

[…]

“Well, now that you’re here, I just wanted to take the opportunity to say ‘bye.’ Not ‘goodbye.’ Not ‘God speed.’ Not ‘see you later.’ Not anything but ‘bye.’” […]

“Mister Rose, I must say that in over twenty years of commanding a DropShip, I have never, and I mean never, had the occasion to encounter a man like yourself. To say you are universally hated by my crew would be an understatement of major proportions. I am surprised they haven’t mutinied just to get you.”

“In short, Mister Rose, please take the earliest opportunity to disembark my ship and never, I mean never, return.”

They touch down without incident and the Captain has his personal steward help Jeremiah Rose off the ship immediately. We’re supposed to be left feeling like this was some well-planned victory and Rose was antagonizing the crew to get planetside as quickly as possible; but no. This was not planned. This was a spontaneous act of kindness by Captain Waterson; all to please a man who cannot be pleased.

If anyone else would like to murder Jeremiah Rose, please feel free to let me know.

Rose then explains that he’s not really an rear end in a top hat, just frustrated because he was delayed for a month because his jump ship ruptured a helium seal. Now, that’s really bad, since without the liquid helium keeping the jump drive cool, the entire ship would explode if it tried to jump. In 3025, such a failure would’ve been catastrophic and tied up the jumpship for 3-6 months while they waited for another ship to come in with a new seal.

In 3054, a month is still an astoundingly quick turnaround for damage like that.

Regardless, I’m sorry, but no. Jeremiah Rose, being frustrated is not an excuse to be a dickhead. Not that he needs an excuse.

Anyway, Jeremiah considers his mission a failure since we’re in the “last week of the dueling season” and all the good ‘Mechs will have been bought up and hoarded for next season. Rose then resolves that ‘if there is a ‘Mech to be bought or stolen, he will acquire it’.

… Goddamn.

WHY is he our protagonist?

Anyway, we are then treated to a description of Solaris City (which is unimportant). Jeremiah heads into the Black Hills (Davion district) to visit a bar. We then learn that he hasn’t slept in over 40 hours.

:doh:

WHY?!

Anyway, after spending three hours visiting over half a dozen bars in the Black Hills, Jeremiah still hasn’t found a ‘Mech to buy. He has, however, gotten extremely drunk and tired. He then takes personal satisfaction in how gloomy and squalid the Black Hills are (hint: all of Solaris City is gloomy and squalid, the planet’s a hellhole who’s only export is gladiator fights and organized crime (thank you, House Steiner)). He stops at one last bar, the Pelican (really?), which is apparently frequented by elite Mechwarriors (who are nonetheless too bad to get into Valhalla).

Rose then asks for a Draconis Combine beer in a Davion bar.

:doh:

It nearly gets him thrown “all the way to Kobe”, but he saves by asking for a Davion drink instead.

Main Event posted:

He blamed the lack of sleep, but that was precious little consolation. Rose was still grinding his teeth at his stupidity when the beer arrived. This would definitely have to be the last stop. Any more and his fatigue could get him into real trouble.

BLATANT. FORESHADOWING.

Anyway, we are then introduced, via the bartender, to Ian Owans and Buck Blaylock, the best Davion announcers on Solaris. I wonder if they’ll be important, since they were namedropped by the bartender who has no name.

The Bartender then introduces himself, but he doesn’t matter. The bartender then gives Jeremiah some genuinely good advice (get himself some D-bills), but Rose is such a D-bag he’s not going to bother. Rose then asks the bartender for help, and gets told to go gently caress himself. He then asks the bartender for some ‘information that won’t conflict in any way with his current employment in exchange for pay’, which gets better results.

Rose then asks if there’re any ‘Mech stables hiring. The bartender says he’ll help put Rose in touch with a man named Brachall, who’s a ‘broker’. The Bartender says to go back to a bar Rose already visited and ask for Brachall by name, and to not mention the bartender at all because the guy’s bad news.

Then the chapter ends. Has anything been accomplished? No.

Looking ahead, we’re not going to get off Solaris until chapter 16.

:ughh:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 5, 2011

• Locked thread