Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I wrote that by angrily mashing my forehead on the keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Brown Moses posted:

I wrote that by angrily mashing my forehead on the keyboard.

Corrie has the same storyline running already and now Eastenders has one, Emmerdale had one at the end of last year I think.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The annoying thing is it gives people a totally false impression of how it all works, and makes it look like it's much easier than it really is, and having been through the process myself it's just a bit insulting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They really need to encourage the writers now to at least look up the basic information of stuff before they write about it.

It isn't exactly hard now.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
They do, and then when the experts who they've invited along to read in on the scripts point to glaring flaws and horrible pieces of psychological nonsense, they thank them nicely, walk them to the door, press ahead with it anyway and you get Kat screaming WHERES MY BABY

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Sion posted:

I just watched the secret millionaire in Middlesbrough. Very rarely cry when I see stuff on TV.

Did.

I want to know how they are still getting away with it. It's been on a few years now using the same format. If I worked in a charity and a strange bloke from out of the area turned up with a camera crew and asked for a "few days work experience" I'd be thinking "Woo hoo! MONEY!"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Brainwrong posted:

I want to know how they are still getting away with it. It's been on a few years now using the same format. If I worked in a charity and a strange bloke from out of the area turned up with a camera crew and asked for a "few days work experience" I'd be thinking "Woo hoo! MONEY!"

In my experince with volunteer work at charity shops, you'd be be surprised how little people stay on and get stuck in. Retired elderly women are perhaps the most permanent and dependable members of the workforces of Oxfam and British Heart Foundation. Everyone else is a temp.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

They tell the people they're filming a ficticious documentary of some kind. it seems to work well enough. I guess if the format gets too recognisable they could turn it into a prank show and have people reveal to expectant social workers that they're actually skint.

Speaking of which, back when I was a little'un and didn't understand that shows were filmed in series, I couldn't understand why contestants on the Crystal Maze didn't watch last week's episode to work out how to do some of the games.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Young Voter's Question Time on Bin Laden's death...

:godwin:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle starts again tonight. Don't forget.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
Hello UK TV thread, I've just discovered This Is David Lander featuring a late '80s Stephen Fry and I'm rather enjoying it!
Is it just me that had no idea this program existed?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle starts again tonight. Don't forget.
I almost did. Shame on me.

Here's a funny promo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
11:20, not the best time. Isn't that classified as a dead zone by the BBC? weren't they talking about making no new programming for after 10:30 not that long ago?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

goatface posted:

11:20, not the best time. Isn't that classified as a dead zone by the BBC? weren't they talking about making no new programming for after 10:30 not that long ago?

They must really hate the show. Especially as its been bumped from the ten o'clock slot by a loving repeat of Nevermind the Buzzcocks.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
Trying my utmost not to sound like an elitist, but I can understand why the BBC would put Stewart Lee somewhere people didn't stumble across him...
To be honest I'd have thought they'd give him a program on BBC4, not BBC2 isn't that where QI started?

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Kraxis posted:

Trying my utmost not to sound like an elitist, but I can understand why the BBC would put Stewart Lee somewhere people didn't stumble across him...
To be honest I'd have thought they'd give him a program on BBC4, not BBC2 isn't that where QI started?

crisps

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
All the different types of crisps.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Plain.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Not soy sauce flavour.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Needed more Armando.

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene

MJ_Turbo posted:

Should have been set in Liverpool and called the "Mersey Shore"

missed opportunity there

It's funny you should say that, because auditions were held in a Liverpool club last bank holiday weekend for an 'essex' type show...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

Needed more Armando.

[UK] The Great British programme discussion. Needed more Armando.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I always hated crisps and breasts.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

sebzilla posted:

[UK] The Great British programme discussion. Needed more Armando.

Isnt he doing "Veep" for HBO at the minute?

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.
SLCV was actually his verbatim stand-up set what he done toured recently, albeit with the Armando bits.

Prefer this to last seasons format. Hope it's not all directly lifted from Vegetable Stew though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
The first series was the same but with If You Prefer a Milder Comedian. Glad they got rid of the sketches. They were hit and miss last time round. There were a few great ones though, like Del Boy falling through the bar and Kevin's Apple shop, but a good few just fell flat when I'd rather just see Stu not talk much.

Mueslini
Aug 5, 2010

What fascists eat for breakfast.

slotbadger posted:

SLCV was actually his verbatim stand-up set what he done toured recently, albeit with the Armando bits.

Prefer this to last seasons format. Hope it's not all directly lifted from Vegetable Stew though.

Wasn't Vegetable Stew literally promoted as preparing the material for the filming of Comedy Vehicle? Each night of Vegetable Stew was two episodes of the show and then some extra little bits, I think.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

When I went to see him in Leicester before his show was being called Vegetable Stew he said he was performing material he was planning to use for his BBC show.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Mickolution posted:

The first series was the same but with If You Prefer a Milder Comedian. Glad they got rid of the sketches. They were hit and miss last time round. There were a few great ones though, like Del Boy falling through the bar and Kevin's Apple shop, but a good few just fell flat when I'd rather just see Stu not talk much.

I agree about the old sketches. I may be biased, living in the land of whaling harpoons, but my god the new episode of Comedy Vehicle was utterly fantastic. Completely classic Lee.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I agree about the old sketches. I may be biased, living in the land of whaling harpoons, but my god the new episode of Comedy Vehicle was utterly fantastic. Completely classic Lee.

The old sketches meant that Sadowitz actually got to appear on television with a pope impersonator sat on his lap. I wouldn't trade that image for anything.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Even I was surprised at how good it was. I love Stewart Lee a lot but I wasn't expecting him to really hit on a formula that works this series. The stand-up mixed with the Armando chats is a perfect mix.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
When I saw his Vegetable Stew show he did do a half hour piece on charity, which was the """theme""" of last night's episode but actually didn't do much stuff verbatim and was different to the episode. He started with the "I do 45-50 charity gigs a year" and casually increased the number through the show, for example.

Also, only Stewart Lee can tune a guitar for 2 whole minutes and make it absolutely hilarious.

All that aside, he is as ridiculously funny as ever and it was well worth the wait.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Richard Herring is in Dundee on Tuesday night at the Whitehall. There are lots of tickets availalbe. Please come.

Please.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Richard Herring is in Dundee on Tuesday night at the Whitehall. There are lots of tickets availalbe. Please come.

Please.

Why are there no posters? There's an entire university opposite the theatre?? I'd come but I'm working on degree show.

birmingha
Nov 8, 2010
The new Stew was good. I don't think I've ever heard him speak so quickly at the top of the show. I saw the same 'Charity' routine a few months back in Birmingham and he performed it with a lot more 'silence', which I preferred...

The Armando chats are great. I'd love to see Armando have a talk show in that style. Which, if you like, you can get pretty much every episode of Armando's Charm offensive legally online... You can find the couple that Stew appears on from fistoffun.net too.

Just booked tickets to see this:

http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/dance-performance/tickets/at-last-the-1981-show-58634

Which led me to the wonderful and bizarre stand-up of Kevin McAleer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FMjCB5-xw8

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Psychoville II has been good so far. I think I need to rewatch the first series again though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Please.

How much are the tickets? I might pop back up.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Ben Soosneb posted:

Psychoville II has been good so far. I think I need to rewatch the first series again though.

I'm actually thinking of making a thread for it, especially if they're doing all the ARG stuff again. Think there'll be enough people watching to make it worth it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Comedy Vehicle is loving excellent, did not expect the sketch towards the end relating to one of the jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Someone tell me who the gently caress this Douglas Murray guy is? Every time I see him on QT I wanna beat the living poo poo out of him.