Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

All promotional materials assume that there is no "original" original trilogy and that the only original trilogy that exists is the "special" original trilogy. The only releases of the real movies have been the last VHS release (that I bought when I was in high school) and a special dvd release from a few years ago where the original versions were included as "special features" but were actually the sole inducements to buy the dvds.

Well that's lame and they looked so nice. Oh well, more money left to buy the LotR box set and a bunch of new Criterion releases. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
That complete saga art is abhorrent. That should be on a panel that folds out on the cardboard disc holders, not the art for the entire box. I can only imagine how stupid the orange and pink sand/cloud spine will look on a shelf.

Now that I think about it, the Family Guy star wars trilogy had better-designed box art than any of these sets.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone still buying boxed sets of Star Wars is loving nuts. You know there'll be a new one in a year.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone still buying boxed sets of Star Wars is loving nuts. You know there'll be a new one in a year.

Yeah, because that's gonna be the one we've all been waiting for. :jerkbag:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I've told this story before here, I think, but when the original trilogy first came to DVD in 2004, I thought nothing of it and strolled on over to Best Buy to look for something unrelated. When I got inside, I only realized that Star Wars was out on DVD. Nevertheless, I was still on the hunt for something else and thought, "I'll buy this some other time." (I never did).

When I got to the checkout line, some fat goony neckbeard had in his possession one copy each of the trilogy in both widescreen and fullscreen (as evident by the silver and bronze colored boxes). I asked him why he needed so many copies, and his response was, "one copy of each to watch whenever, and one copy of each to keep in its original plastic wrap, never to be opened. These things will be collectors items some day!"

This is probably one of the reasons I don't care for Star Wars stuff anymore, and it's probably also the reason I never bought that particular box set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com reports Lionsgate is releasing a trio of Miramax films on July 19th: Bridget Jones' Diary, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and Amelie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Amelie

Oh good. I've been debating whether or not I should buy the Canadian edition for months.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
It's about god damned time. I can't think of a film that's not on BD yet that would benefit from the transfer more than Amelie.

I wonder what the MSRP will be?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
A few TV shows announced for blu-ray over the past couple days.

Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe - 7/26
Hells Kitchen: Season 5 Uncensored - 8/2
Eastbound & Down: Season 1 & 2 - 8/2
The Kennedys - 9/20

Glad to finally get Eastbound and Down on blu, and even happier that HBO is going back and releasing the first season. It's pretty rare for any companies to release past seasons.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Space_Butler posted:

A few TV shows announced for blu-ray over the past couple days.

Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe - 7/26
Hells Kitchen: Season 5 Uncensored - 8/2
Eastbound & Down: Season 1 & 2 - 8/2
The Kennedys - 9/20

Glad to finally get Eastbound and Down on blu, and even happier that HBO is going back and releasing the first season. It's pretty rare for any companies to release past seasons.

I like how they're doing the fall of sam axe but basically refusing to put out blu-rays for any other season of Burn Notice other than season 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's because the ones they did release looked awful.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

RevKrule posted:

I like how they're doing the fall of sam axe but basically refusing to put out blu-rays for any other season of Burn Notice other than season 2.
I'm crossing my fingers that if it sells well enough, they'll reconsider and start releasing seasons again. Season 2 sold poorly because of a small blu-ray marketshare in general, the fact that season 1 wasn't released (people tend to bitch that if they can't get all of the seasons in blu-ray then there's no point), and made worse by the die-hard crowd complaining about the picture quality. I'd have bought all of the seasons on blu-ray in a heartbeat but I completely understand why they thought it wasn't worth continuing in blu.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

That's how the show is shot, Super 16 and really dirty. Doesn't exactly compress well.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amelie preorder popped up at Amazon. $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004ZG5EYC

About par for the course for Lionsgate catalog titles but still worth mentioning.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

hitze posted:

That's how the show is shot, Super 16 and really dirty. Doesn't exactly compress well.

Well they also shoved it all on 3 discs, making it look even worse.

Burn Notice was a victim of retarded compression, unrealistic expectations, and starting a series' releases after S1. It's like they wanted it to fail.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sporadic posted:

Didn't even have to think. Hope they don't somehow manage to screw it all up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Finally, The Twilight Zone seasons dropped in price. $46.49 each for Season 1-3

Season 1 = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003JBI3GA
Season 2 = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0049HOVEG
Season 3 = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00404ME06

GrandpaPants posted:

Didn't even have to think. Hope they don't somehow manage to screw it all up.

I can't imagine how they will if Alliance managed to do it right with the Canadian release.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

Sporadic posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004ZG5EYC

About par for the course for Lionsgate catalog titles but still worth mentioning.

What are Lionsgate releases like for being region free/locked? I love this film. :-)

Death's Head fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 9, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The Alien and Aliens blurays are both good buys, right? I'm not interested in the box set because honestly Alien3 and Resurrection sucked pretty bad.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The Alien and Aliens blurays are both good buys, right? I'm not interested in the box set because honestly Alien3 and Resurrection sucked pretty bad.

They're terrific. Aliens in particular is like a brand new movie.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Yeah but that box set is worth it for all the special features.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah but that box set is worth it for all the special features.

Seconding this- even if you hate the other two movies, the documentaries, even for those, are awesome- Especially when they talk about what went wrong. You won't regret the purchase.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The cast commentary for Aliens is pretty great. It's a shame they didn't isolate it into it's own track. Same for Cameron's commentary. They all have enough to say that it seems a shame to edit it all together.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Got the Godfather collection through today. Quite a large box considering it's only four discs, but each disc gets its own Blu-ray sized box which seems like a waste of space seeing as the Alien Anthology has 6 discs in about a third of the space.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Death's Head posted:

What are Lionsgate releases like for being region free/locked? I love this film. :-)

I remember being okay with their DVD releases. The three BDs of theirs that I own are pretty solid, too (The Descent, Lord of War and American Psycho). Still, I'll play it safe and wait for some reviews.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's Coppola's Godfather restoration? Is it the theatrical releases with an amazing restoration or some deal like Apocalypse Now Redux

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Honest Thief posted:

What's Coppola's Godfather restoration? Is it the theatrical releases with an amazing restoration or some deal like Apocalypse Now Redux

The first one.

The master for the first Godfather was almost beyond repair due to poor handling of it and using it to make copies for the theatrical re-release in the eighties.

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/the_storyboard/18Feb2010_1.htm

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 9, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
It was also a particularly thin negative because Willis shot it underexposed so that no one could alter the film and make it brighter later.

idoliside posted:

Got the Godfather collection through today. Quite a large box considering it's only four discs, but each disc gets its own Blu-ray sized box which seems like a waste of space seeing as the Alien Anthology has 6 discs in about a third of the space.

My copy (and the customer images on Amazon) all seem to have the 4 discs in one case.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

frumpsnake posted:

My copy (and the customer images on Amazon) all seem to have the 4 discs in one case.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Godfather-Coppola-Restoration-Blu-ray/dp/B001E25MBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304951800&sr=8-1

UK release are individuals in a cardboard sleeve.

Speaking of UK releases, anyone know of a good place to get a couple replacement cases? I need 3 of the thicker (than compared to US) cases with the Blu-ray logo in the recessed oval.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

frumpsnake posted:

It was also a particularly thin negative because Willis shot it underexposed so that no one could alter the film and make it brighter later.

drat UK releases, never mind. It looks a big beefy case and the artwork is still nice.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

Speaking of UK releases, anyone know of a good place to get a couple replacement cases? I need 3 of the thicker (than compared to US) cases with the Blu-ray logo in the recessed oval.

http://www.sleevetown.com/dvd-case-single.shtml

Scroll down - they're 59 cents a pop. I've ordered from them before.

If you're English, thennnn... good luck on your Google searches.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I can't edit my individual posts (my work blocks a lot of forum images). I missed that you asked about the thicker UK Blu-Rays.

Going by ebay.co.uk, this should be it (free shipping):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-AMARAY-BLU-RAY-DVD-CD-DISC-STORAGE-CASE-14mm-/260615280189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cade1963d

Assuming that ALL UK Blu-Rays have thicker cases, of course - I know the two imports I own are.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

- edit And hey, looks like MPI knocked it out of the park with their Sherlock Holmes boxset.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sherlock-Holmes-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/19232/#Review

The price on this dropped down to $63.49. That's about $4.53 a movie

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GSVXDA?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004GSVXDA

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Anyone having any difficulty printing their Disney Upgrade2Blu coupons? I tried to print my coupons for the Pirates movies today but got the "No prints available for this campaign" message. All the other upgrades I have still seem available (like Ratatouille and Nightmare Before Christmas).

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Red posted:

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I can't edit my individual posts (my work blocks a lot of forum images). I missed that you asked about the thicker UK Blu-Rays.

Going by ebay.co.uk, this should be it (free shipping):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-AMARAY-BLU-RAY-DVD-CD-DISC-STORAGE-CASE-14mm-/260615280189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cade1963d

Assuming that ALL UK Blu-Rays have thicker cases, of course - I know the two imports I own are.
Yup, this is it, but I'm not in the UK (I merely enjoy cheaper UK blu-rays) so I just paid out the rear end for a couple replacements for the few of mine that are damaged.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

frumpsnake posted:

Ah gently caress, I always wondered why Godfather Pt 1 was so goddamn dark half the time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Some Like It Hot looks terrific.

Only minus is no original mono track, but just a 5.1 remix. Weird, since I recall the past DVD editions all having it as an option.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Well, UK Goons, the LOTR Extended Blu-ray is up for Pre-Order - £55 for the lot, which I will be happy to pay. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Trilogy-Extended-Blu-ray/dp/B003AQC1CQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The amount of people complaining that they will have to get up and change the disk to carry on the movie is amazing. The irony being that Frodo has embarked on this huge journey all the way to Mordor, and they cant get up off their rear end to change the disk.

Cant wait for this.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

henpod posted:

The amount of people complaining that they will have to get up and change the disk to carry on the movie is amazing.

It does seem kind of odd that I can have both the original theatrical version and the extended director's cut on 1 blu ray for Alien (actually all 4 movies in the set) but they can't fit the whole extended lotr on one disk.

Alien runtime: 116 minutes.
Alien Extended runtime: 132 minutes.
Both Alien films on one blu ray runtime: 248 minutes.

Aliens rutime: 137 minutes.
Aliens Extended runtime: 154 minutes.
Both Aliens films on one blu ray runtime: 291 minutes.

FotR Extended runtime: 208 minutes.
TTT Extended runtime: 223 minutes.
RotK Extended runtime: 251 minutes.

henpod posted:

The irony being that Frodo has embarked on this huge journey all the way to Mordor, and they cant get up off their rear end to change the disk.

Well when you put it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It does seem kind of odd that I can have both the original theatrical version and the extended director's cut on 1 blu ray for Alien (actually all 4 movies in the set) but they can't fit the whole extended lotr on one disk.

Alien runtime: 116 minutes.
Alien Extended runtime: 132 minutes.
Both Alien films on one blu ray runtime: 248 minutes.

Aliens rutime: 137 minutes.
Aliens Extended runtime: 154 minutes.
Both Aliens films on one blu ray runtime: 291 minutes.

FotR Extended runtime: 208 minutes.
TTT Extended runtime: 223 minutes.
RotK Extended runtime: 251 minutes.

Yeah, no. Your numbers are off because you don't actually have both versions of the Alien movies on one disk. Just the longer one, and whatever small bits of the theatrical release are different from it (or vice-versa).

• Locked thread