Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

King Lou posted:

I am in love with this song

Yeah, I don't usually get Reggie's stuff, it's an interesting trick but not super funny or great to listen to, but he was on fire in that last episode. I'd love to get the one where all of them took part too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

PFT on Who Charted!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

PFT on Who Charted!

I worried how it would be but it is, in fact, fantastic

I want to try a Fast Five candy bar

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Zero reason to think PFT on Who Charted wouldn't be anything but fantastic.

Also, Hot Saucerman is hot as gently caress.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

bananasinpajamas posted:

Zero reason to think PFT on Who Charted wouldn't be anything but fantastic.

Also, Hot Saucerman is hot as gently caress.

:colbert: Didn't know that he and Kulap&Howard were old friends. Who Charted is on a roll recently.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
Yesterday, I finally got a chance to listen to the WTF episode with Gallagher. Jesus Christ, that was uncomfortable as hell. I died laughing when Gallagher claimed he was funnier than almost every other comedian, had a litany of excuses for why others were more famous, and then basically tried to take credit for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

He's like the Troy Duffy of comedians.

Vainglory
Apr 15, 2010

Goonies Never Eat Pie
Duncan Trussell is consistently my favorite guest on Joe Rogan's podcast because he's such a nerd and doesn't try to hide it. Also, I'd watched his episode of Drunk History before I heard him on Rogan and had no loving clue it was him, which made it more amazing when I realized. He usually gets the biggest laughs out of Joe, too.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

DangerDummy! posted:

I've been aware of Greg Proops in one form or another for probably 15 years (enough so that I recognized his voice immediately in Phantom Menace), and I've never really given a poo poo about him until Smartest Man in the World. There are a lot of podcasts that I love but if there's one I anticipate more than all the rest, it's his. The guy's a real loving maestro, and I'm kinda bummed it's taken me so long to get turned on to him.

I, like most people, knew him from Who's Line and various other TV appearances. I went to see him do stand-up a couple of months ago and he's great. If he plays in your vicinity, go see him!

widunder
May 2, 2002
I sort of like Duncan, but he can be even more interminable than Rogan when it comes to dumb stoner rants.

His drunken history episode, however, is the greatest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOR91oentQ

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Capsaicin posted:

gently caress, Michael Rooker is such a weird loving dude.
Sean Gunn really played well off him. "Name any movie!"

Ellen Page seems so out of place on the show though. Doug obviously invites her on because he can but it's just weird.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Eltoasto posted:

:colbert: Didn't know that he and Kulap&Howard were old friends. Who Charted is on a roll recently.

Literally everything PFT is on is fantastic. Why would you have doubts?

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick
The newest episode of Judge John Hodgman might be one of the best yet. The acting parts were hilarious.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

nemoulette posted:

I sort of like Duncan, but he can be even more interminable than Rogan when it comes to dumb stoner rants.

The difference in Joe and Duncan is that Joe can't back up anything he says, while Duncan's rants are based on the insane amount of knowledge he has about religious and spiritual teachings. He is like an encyclopedia with that stuff.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Doug Benson was on the first live Comedy Film Nerds podcast that went up today. They were in Portland, and the show was kind of a mess but in a good way. The crowd was a little heckler-y, Graham Elwood was even more all over the place than usual, Doug seemed even more hosed up than usual, and it was all thoroughly entertaining. One of the highlights was Doug and Graham taking turns shutting up this one really loud girl in the audience. Also Doug pulled it together just enough for a round of the Leonard Maltin game at the end.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Eltoasto posted:

Something that I like about the regulars of the comedy podcast circuit (by this I guess I mean mostly the regulars of CDR) is that you can tell that they're all actually really good friends, and they play off each other better because of it

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.
Don't know if anyone else saw this on earwolf:

quote:

jeffearwolf 2 days ago in reply to Michael Flynn
Well I'll be. Thank you so much for sharing your kind thoughts with us, it helps me keep working so hard! And don't worry, we'll be asking for money as soon as May 31st :)

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

ElCondemn posted:

Duncan is amazing and he has his own podcast too called the lavender hour.

With Natasha Leggero. It's pretty good, but unfortunately new shows have been sparse as of late.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Penis envy posted:

Don't know if anyone else saw this on earwolf:

I've been listening to The Wolf Den, this seems like it's more of a donation thing then starting to actually charge for content.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I've been listening to The Wolf Den, this seems like it's more of a donation thing then starting to actually charge for content.

That's cool; I'd definitely donate where I could. I listened to the first few Wolf Den episodes and honestly I was a little worried about how money-hungry Jeff seemed about the whole thing. Not to say that they shouldn't get paid for producing such awesome shows, but I was worried that the whole thing was going to be pay only from his tone. If anything they should merchandise more.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

TransatlanticFoe posted:

Yeah, I don't listen to Wolf Den often, but at least in the Jesse Thorn episode, Jeff didn't seem like he was leaning toward the NNF model.

I have no problem with the CDR => CBB name change, per se, but

is such a better logo than

I was planning to pick up the uncomfortable aukerman shirt at some point, but that window's almost certainly closed (for those of us of standard human size, at least).

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I thought the CBB thing was a joke, wonder why he decided to do that? Because of the TV thing?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Creflo Chronicle posted:

I thought the CBB thing was a joke, wonder why he decided to do that? Because of the TV thing?

It's just a guess, but he probably doesn't want to give a TV network the rights to the CDR name and be forced to change the stand up show.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Strange Matter posted:

Sean Gunn really played well off him. "Name any movie!"

Ellen Page seems so out of place on the show though. Doug obviously invites her on because he can but it's just weird.

His "celebrity" guests have been mostly pretty good. Ellen page is good, Elizabeth Shue was great.

Olivia Munn was a disaster though. She showed up late and was an unfunny moron. I don't understand her success, as she's not even particularly good looking.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Creflo Chronicle posted:

On the CDR Earwolf page he wrote:

Scott Aukerman posted:

OK, let me clarify so there's no confusion - the show IS changing its name.

The reason is simple - CDR was something me and another person started eight years ago. The podcast transformed into something wonderful but different, so it is only right that it changes its name.

It doesn't make any sense for me to have two or three different brands going, so I'm changing everything 360. The confusion I was talking about between the podcast and the live show is not the reason for the change, but will hopefully be cleared up by the new nomenclature ("The Podcast"/ "Standup").

If the new name keeps you from listening - see you around, and fare thee well. If you still want to listen - Welcome! Either way, God bless the USA.

Can we focus on the show now? Did any of you enjoy it?
-SA

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Throatwarbler posted:

His "celebrity" guests have been mostly pretty good. Ellen page is good, Elizabeth Shue was great.

Olivia Munn was a disaster though. She showed up late and was an unfunny moron. I don't understand her success, as she's not even particularly good looking.

When was Olivia Munn on? I don't remember that at all.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

/\ I just don't see how that's possible, sir!

Rudy Riot posted:

It's funny to me that people can be so freaking odd that a name change would be traumatic enough to someone that they can no longer listen to a comedy podcast. It will make me change the way I have to organize my CDR folder, but I'll somehow manage to adapt. Either way, God bless the USA.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

substitute posted:

I, like most people, knew him from Who's Line and various other TV appearances. I went to see him do stand-up a couple of months ago and he's great. If he plays in your vicinity, go see him!

Ugh, nobody besides Gallagher comes to this loving city. I didn't even come close to setting up a Tompkins 300. To be fair we did get the Kids in the Hall and a sweet Dave Attell, Lewis Black, and Mitch Hedberg show. Like, eight years ago.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If earwolf does donation stuff I will totally donate, but man if I have to start paying to listen to CBB I will be really sad. It is my favorite podcast by a long shot.Listening to it has gotten me through so many boring rear end days, and long drives.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

When was Olivia Munn on? I don't remember that at all.

quote:

6/30/2009 9:14:17 PM
On his first theme show, Doug welcomes "Attack of the Show" co-hosts Kevin Pereira and Olivia Munn and "Web Soup" host Chris Hardwick to the podcast. Recorded at the UCB Theatre Los Angeles on June 16th, 2009 (a week before Michael Jackson died, fyi)

Way back when I first started listening. :corsair:

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
I keep hearing Comedy Gang Bang, is this a bad thing?

BertrandRussell
Jan 6, 2001

Angry Moo Cow posted:

ROBIN INCE AND JOSIE LONG'S 'UTTER SHAMBLES

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/podcasts

They have a regular guest each episode (Edgar Wright, podcasters/comedians Collins and Herring, Phill Jupitus, Stewart Lee, Stephen Merchant and others). Originally some sort of show and tell program, they were all required to bring something to show everyone and talk about, but usually becomes random and unrelated. I like it. There are about 20-odd episodes, but I don't think there are any current ones anymore (last episode late 2010).

Thanks for letting us know about this one. I haven't listened to it yet, but from her appearances on various British panel shows I've seen, Josie Long seems like one of the most adorable-by-nature people on the planet.

I've checked out a few episodes of Who Charted? and it is intolerable. It pretty much only works if you really like the guest, and then it's just two people apparently trying to drag down the guest you like.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

The_Rob posted:

If earwolf does donation stuff I will totally donate, but man if I have to start paying to listen to CBB I will be really sad. It is my favorite podcast by a long shot.Listening to it has gotten me through so many boring rear end days, and long drives.

Their Earwolf survey from a few weeks back had a few questions about the WTF business model (paying for the back catalogue) - if you (not *you*, but a generic reader of this post) are a tightwad, it may be worth downloading the whole shebang now.

I'll donate for sure, although I prefer to choose how.

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I have to admit I haven't listened to the Wolf Den recently, but a donation type thing would be interesting if they are going to do it pledge style.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's actually good news if Jeff is going to try to monetize on donations and the back catalog. All the early episodes of The Wolf Den were him talking about more specialized ad spot agreements, like the Sklar's do with Legal Zoom, though the LZ ad rep admitted that the ads weren't making them any money, so maybe that's why he's switching the strategy.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Rudy Riot posted:

I'm really curious about the "other person" Scott is talking about, BJ Porter. For some reason he's wanted absolutely nothing to do with the podcast version of CDR.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
I thought the Comedy Bang Bang thing was a joke because it was such a horrible name. It won't effect the quality of the show, but wow, it's a bad name, and that new logo is not so hot.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

t3ch3 posted:

It's actually good news if Jeff is going to try to monetize on donations and the back catalog. All the early episodes of The Wolf Den were him talking about more specialized ad spot agreements, like the Sklar's do with Legal Zoom, though the LZ ad rep admitted that the ads weren't making them any money, so maybe that's why he's switching the strategy.

How much of LegalZoom not making money on the calming shores of Sklarbro Country is due to them being a bad fit with a comedy audience? Maybe they were banking on more Rome followers when they decided to sponsor the show, sorta like how the sports section of the paper is full of divorce attorney ads.

I'm reminded of the grill enhancer that advertised on WTF for a couple of episodes. Maron seems to have Audible and adamandeve.com as sponsors pretty regularly, so those must be somewhat effective.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wish Patton Oswalt would start doing one, he's ususally a great guest.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jet Jaguar posted:

How much of LegalZoom not making money on the calming shores of Sklarbro Country is due to them being a bad fit with a comedy audience? Maybe they were banking on more Rome followers when they decided to sponsor the show, sorta like how the sports section of the paper is full of divorce attorney ads.

I'm reminded of the grill enhancer that advertised on WTF for a couple of episodes. Maron seems to have Audible and adamandeve.com as sponsors pretty regularly, so those must be somewhat effective.

IIRC Audible and adamandeve.com have advertising agreements through the company that runs libsyn which hosts just about every podcast and they take a huge chunk of the ad revenue (north of 50%) for themselves. That's why you hear those on a ton of different podcasts: the companies made agreements with the hosting provider and they just go for a blanket strategy.

As for why other advertising isn't making money on podcasting, I think they're just not selling enough time. Terrestrial radio does somewhere between a third and half of their total on air time as ads and runs them in 6-15 minute long chunks with the host doing additional advertising during the show. I'm not sure that strategy is ever going to work for podcasting and I'm not sure what will, but I'd bet on network subscription (i.e. $2-5/mo for all Earwolf shows) being the most viable until listening to podcasts in the car gets more mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I thought the Comedy Bang Bang thing was a joke because it was such a horrible name. It won't effect the quality of the show, but wow, it's a bad name, and that new logo is not so hot.

The monkeycheese aspect of the logo doesn't help either. And frankly I wasn't a huge fan of the 2nd anniversary show for that same reason; just lots of "random" wackiness as opposed to the usual...constrained wackiness? Probably a dumb, inaccurate complaint.

• Locked thread