Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Ooooh. Thanks hehe. I figure the protection upgrade from my hiking boots is probably worth having to wear two pairs of socks anyway.

Yeah. And to be clear, I suffer no comfort issues as a result of my narrow foot workaround, they are very comfy when on and my feet don't get overly sweaty or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Got to ride with my new Shoei today.

Man what a difference a good helmet makes! Had my KBC for about 3 1/2 years and it was definitely starting to show it's age.

The new Shoei is amazing. Perfect fit, cuts through the wind like butter, very quiet, and I love the ear cutouts on the inside, my ear buds fit in nicely now. The vents work awesome, I can actually feel the cool air flowing over the top of my head, which in 90+ degree Florida summer heat is going to be great. Plus the thing looks sexy as hell! Years ago I had a nice Arai and I think I like the Shoei even better than that.

Sexy time!

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Russian Bear posted:

What model nolan is that?

It's the N85.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

orthod0ks posted:

It's the N85.

What are your feelings on it? Quick review please?

Nvm, not available in US :sigh: looks really sharp though! I also wish they would bring the Xlite helmets to the US, even to sell them as "novelty" to "racers" :v:

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 3, 2011

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Russian Bear posted:

Nvm, not available in US :sigh: looks really sharp though! I also wish they would bring the Xlite helmets to the US, even to sell them as "novelty" to "racers" :v:

I don't own it. I just want to.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

What model nolan is that?

It's an N85

efb

Russian Bear posted:

I love it. It's the only 'proper' helmet I've ever owned, I always had dirt cheap borrowed helmets when I was tooling around on little scooters and stuff when I was young. So I can't really tell you how compares to other helmets, just my experiences with it so far.

It's very comfortable, I have a fairly large head so I had to get an XL. It does occasionaly shift a tiny bit when I look over my shoulder at 90 mph COMPLETELY LEGAL MOTORWAY SPEEDS. I'm not sure if that happens with all helmets though, I might just need to get slightly thicker padding. It's quite light at 1490 g (according to the label). I've never had a problem with a sore neck or anything like that at least.

The vents are great, and the 'scoop' type at the top are an absolute lifesaver on really hot days. It has a ratchet system for the neck strap which I personally prefer to the traditional D rings.

The internal visor is pretty drat awesome as well. I made a quick post in this thread about it before. It's got a slide mechanism on the left side to move it up or down, pretty easy even with gloves. The main visor comes with a pinlock insert which has worked flawlessly so far. I couldn't imagine going back to a helmet without one. A small downside with the sun visor is that it can still fog up while the main visor is clear. I've only got a clear visor for it (don't really need a dark one as well since I've got the internal visor) so I haven't really messed much with the release mechanism. I've taken the main visor off a couple of times and it seemed simple enough, again I havnen't really got anything else to compare it to though.

Forty Two fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 3, 2011

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
Is there such a thing as a backpack made to go over/around a motorcycle jacket with a speed hump? Alternatively, am I just bad at adjusting my run-of-the-mill backpack?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

Is there such a thing as a backpack made to go over/around a motorcycle jacket with a speed hump? Alternatively, am I just bad at adjusting my run-of-the-mill backpack?

I've always let my backpack be kinda saggy so some of the weight is supported by the seat...

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

A messenger bag would work better, since they tend to rest lower on the back.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

mattfl posted:

Got to ride with my new Shoei today.
I love love the hadron graphic so much. I wish they made the X12 with that graphic.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

nm

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 4, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

Gear review!

Icon ARC Mesh Pants

First Impressions
Wow these pants are shiny. Hey, they come with CE approved armor. Oh cool, the knee armor is adjustable. Whoa, this clasp up top is weird! Oh crap, a stupid liner. Cool! They have huge pockets!

Sizing
These run really true to size. I wear a 38 so I ordered the 40 for use as overshorts/overpants and they fit just as they should with either of those underneath. I found that my panties get in a bunch when I wear them under these, so I've just been going boxers only underneath. I have to use the little sinch thingy that tightens them to make them tight enough with nothing underneath, but that's not a problem.

They do run a little long though. Even with my 33" inseam, they still drag a bit with my boots on, but I'm a gangster and sag my pants (not really, they're just a bit long)

The liner in these things is amazing, it feels like a god drat pair of pajama pants, points to icon for making it a lot softer than the liner in the ARC Jacket.

I had to move the armor up about 3 inches for it to be properly seated. It's velcroed into the inside of the pantleg with a fuckoff huge velcro strip that runs the entire length of the armor so I don't think that would be compromised in a crash situation.

Lasting Impression
I really like these pants, they flow well and look decent. If this were 1986 they'd be totally in as they're a bit on the shiny side. Other than that they're great and super comfortable. Even though they look like they detach at the knee (as some mesh pants do) they don't. It's just a double fabric/stitched area that looks like it separates, but underneath that flap is just more fabric, no zipper or anything.
Hmm, those are pretty reasonably priced. I'm going to go buy a pair next week, I melted the poo poo out of my Joe Rocket overpants on my exhaust. :downs:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Those Icons are the overpants I crashed in a few years back. Sliding on gravel it wore through the fabric and knee armor, but only to the point where I lost a small chunk of flesh on my knee. I didn't need stitches or anything and while it took awhile to close up, everything works fine and it was a relativity minor injury considering the speed I was going. However, I replaced them with the firstgear overpants and they are have much better construction and features for about the same price. Icon stuff is all overpriced as hell.

Oh and I almost forgot...the goddamn leg zippers on the icon pants would ALWAYS come undone at highway speeds and smack my calves the whole way to work. You know that kind of pain you get from being hurt in the same place over and over? Like when you bit your lip and it swells so that you end up biting it again and again every time you try to eat? Yeah THAT loving poo poo. Do yourself a favor, rip holes in the bottom of those pants and put a ziptie through the zippers to hold them in place. Goddammit I get pissed just remembering it. Also, like all icon stuff, stitching comes undone everywhere so you have threads hanging off all your gear even it you never crashed at all.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/51123/newegg-2pack-meelectronics-m6-soundisolating-sports-premium-headphones

Just bought these since I think they fit under my helmet as well. Design look similar to the Shures but they're a lot cheaper with coupon. And you can give a pair to a lady friend. They're $17.40 on Amazon for a single pair available in black or clear.

A review of them working well with a helmet: http://www.amazon.com/review/R277R7W96HEWVC/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 5, 2011

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Ehh broke down and bought this

On the way from motorcyclegear :x

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I posted some pictures of a girl whose foot was hosed up due to a motorcycle wreck. Now here's a video of a guy's hosed up knee. Wear your gear!

http://youtu.be/8XL5WUNLVf4

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fangs404 posted:

I posted some pictures of a girl whose foot was hosed up due to a motorcycle wreck. Now here's a video of a guy's hosed up knee. Wear your gear!

http://youtu.be/8XL5WUNLVf4

At least he's aware that he learnt a painful, yet valuable lesson that day.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
Bravo Victor vest, first day with it and had a bus cut me off, it came from a side street to my left, it stopped at its sign, and immediately pulled out in front of me. Driver saw me about 2/3 of the way into the turn and wasn't sure what to do, stop or go. rear end didn't even give a look like he cared.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SlightlyMadman posted:

A messenger bag would work better, since they tend to rest lower on the back.

The few times I've taken my messenger bag instead of back pack on my bike, I've had a pain in my shoulder within a mile. Not sure if it's the bag or the way I wear it or what.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
I personally hate riding with a messenger bag -- the weight is distributed unevenly and I feel like it hampers my riding. Using a backpack that has a chest strap is great as it distributes weight evenly and I can just forget about it.

It probably depends on your riding position though. The more upright your riding position, the more annoying a messenger bag is going to be.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Huh, I guess I'm just used to it from years of wearing them on a bicycle, but I've never had a problem. I also try to keep mine pretty light.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

I swore by my Crumpler messenger bags until I tried a Kriega backpack. It really is night and day in comfort.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've been using Israeli paratrooper bags for over a decade now, and almost can't imagine ever carrying anything else. They're a crap-shoot in quality, but can be had for $10-20 so it's not a big deal to buy a new one every few years. I've actually been considering adapting a couple to use as panniers, too.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I need a backprotector in the next day or so. I want something with the kidney belt worn under the leathers so I can wear it under my jacket or suit.

I was looking at the alpinestars one but there is cheaper ones that look similar.. is it worth the money?
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=5&L3=&L4=&item=ASR_650407-10-M_G

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

A Duck! posted:

I swore by my Crumpler messenger bags until I tried a Kriega backpack. It really is night and day in comfort.

I have a chrome messenger bag and it's great on a bicycle but the design is all wrong for a motorcycle. Kriega is where it's at, I recently stress tested my R35 over 2 days and 1000 miles on a supermoto while completely full and it passed with flying colors.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I have a chrome messenger bag and it's great on a bicycle but the design is all wrong for a motorcycle. Kriega is where it's at, I recently stress tested my R35 over 2 days and 1000 miles on a supermoto while completely full and it passed with flying colors.

I can't help myself.

I loving told you so!!!

:swoon: Kriega :swoon:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Kriega army reppezent!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I just don't like the way their backpacks look, or just about every other backpack I've considered, for that matter. If I wanted a backpack, I'd probably just get something milsurp.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I apologize, I don't really want to read through all 170 pages of the thread to see if this has been addressed before.... Any off the shelf solutions for tall athletically built people? I'm 6'5" with a 35" inseam and 42-44" chest. What manufacturers tend to cut their stuff skinnier with longer sleeves if possible. I'm looking for a standard leather jacket. I have a textile for winter and a mesh for summer but am looking for something inbetween for the current temperatures. I know firstgear makes tall sizes -- can't find any of their stuff on sale though. Any other manufacturers I should look at? Price is not really a huge factor -- I'd like nice stuff like Dainese, etc. if it would fit. However, I can't quite afford the full custom route either. Ideally, it'd be a leather jacket that wouldn't make me look like a power ranger -- I have my textile one piece for that.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
poo poo yeah, motorcyclegear got my shoei here already - that's 2 day free shipping on a helmet, amazing. Got here before a tracking number did. Awesome

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

I just don't like the way their backpacks look, or just about every other backpack I've considered, for that matter. If I wanted a backpack, I'd probably just get something milsurp.

The way it fits across your lower back and the quad-lock ...thing whatever it is is what really sells it for me. The looks are good too, I don't like too flashy and the high vis stich is nice at night.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SlightlyMadman posted:

I don't care much for the looks myself but it works so well I just can't bring myself to badmouth them. I also love the chest pockets, awesome design.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Does anyone have a motorccle-superstore coupon? I'm getting tires and I'd really like something better than $5 off.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I've done terrible things to my bank account today.

Rev'it Sand Jacket

Rev'it Mistral Pants

TCX X-action boots

After years of rolling crap/mismatched gear it is going to be nice to have something nice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Good gear is so worth it. I wouldn't bat an eye at dropping 2k+ on gear at this point if I needed it, considering I'll wear it every time I'm on the bike. Thankfully, I've already bought most of the gear I'd need so I don't have to worry about that showing up on my bank account. :v:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Terminus Est posted:

TCX X-action boots

Love the restraint look of those boots. How is the protection? motorcyclegear.com is kinda vague

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 9, 2011

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Does anyone have a motorccle-superstore coupon? I'm getting tires and I'd really like something better than $5 off.

Do you have a $5 off coupon code? I could certainly use that. Almost free shipping...

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Ziploc posted:

Love the restraint look of those boots. How is the protection? motorcyclegear.com is kinda vague

I have yet to receive them, but they're CE certified so should be decent enough. I picked these over the x-cube for that reason alone. Revzilla has a video review of them if you want to check that out.

No matter what, they're better than my danners.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Terminus Est posted:

I have yet to receive them, but they're CE certified so should be decent enough. I picked these over the x-cube for that reason alone. Revzilla has a video review of them if you want to check that out.

No matter what, they're better than my danners.

When you get them, mind saying if they run big or small? I'm generally in half sizes, but I really like those boots.

I have some A* Afrika commuter shoes and some Sidi boots, but I hate the moon boot look and those are understated enough I wouldn't mind being around the office in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Hey do you still need a code? I have a $20 off 150 code but it's been used already so I'm not sure if it's still good. It's worth a shot.