Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
As a bigger guy I sometimes find it difficult to roll with smaller guys since they are very squirmy and fast. It really forces you to tighten your top-control game. I think there is just more room for the little guy to move their hips. I don't really want to discount the significant strength advantage present when rolling with someone 20 pounds lighter than you, but every body type does bring a different set of strengths and weaknesses to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm somewhere in between (179cm and a solid 82kg) and I find bottom more fun because it feels like I'm playing a game, especially in guard and deep half guard, no matter how big the other guy is. I push here and pull there and set X up, and it's just cool.

When I'm on top I feel like I have to win, which probably says something about my attitude to the sport but nonetheless. :)

The mosty demoralising thing is that for the past 6 months I've had personal training sessions from a black belt and no matter how active and good I am he has never seeemed even slightly puffed. He's a bit bigger than me but still, goddamn, even when I'm rolling well and in good shape he finds it all so easy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Neurosis posted:

When I'm on top I feel like I have to win, which probably says something about my attitude to the sport but nonetheless. :)

Over the past year I've made a concerted effort to improve my top game because it was so loose and lovely compared to everything else. I still have the bad habit of letting my mind wander and only really paying attention when I'm about to get tapped. Then I escape and sweep, only to drift again and get reversed.

As an example of how bad this is, I have gotten tapped by fresh blues in the same week I have passed a black belt's guard. I considered seeing a sports psychologist for a while, but probably not because I'm getting better about keeping engaged. Also, I've been seeing a guy about my neck and shoulders, which have had swelling and spasming for like two years. Funny how much difference that makes.

It's also kind of bad because for awhile because some guys thought I was toying with them and being kind of a jerk by always just suddenly escaping and sweeping, apparently at will. I had to explain, "no I'm just strange".

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
I'm glad I found this thread!

I've been doing BJJ for 8 months and I love the sport so much. My real focus this month is sweeping people from my guard, I have quite a strong closed guard so now I really learn to move more etc.

Also I've been training for 8 months and only subbed a handful of people :saddowns:.

Edit: I've recently moved to a new club which has just been taken over by Checkmat and Chico Mendes. We've got a 4 hour Seminar with him and 4 other black belt for £10. Bargain

Pres fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 5, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pres posted:

recently moved to a new club which has just been taken over by Checkmat and Chico Mendes. We've got a 4 hour Seminar with him and 4 other black belt for £10. Bargain

I hope I'm not the only one that imagined a huge throwdown with the losing instructor leaving in shame when I saw "just been taken over".

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thoguh posted:

I hope I'm not the only one that imagined a huge throwdown with the losing instructor leaving in shame when I saw "just been taken over".

I wish life was that cool.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Reminder that is how the Fertitas and Dana would settle any conflict according to Zuffa's constitution, so in some cases it can be that cool.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar

Thoguh posted:

Sadly not, the older instructor left to teach in Dubai.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Neurosis posted:

Reminder that is how the Fertitas and Dana would settle any conflict according to Zuffa's constitution, so in some cases it can be that cool.

Actually it's only if the Fertittas have a disagreement amongst eachother.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Pres posted:

Sadly not, the older instructor left to teach in Dubai.

And people say there's no money in jujitsu.

Doing anything in Dubai must be a goldmine

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

And people say there's no money in jujitsu.

Doing anything in Dubai must be a goldmine

assuming you are not a foreign worker, that is basically slavery.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

assuming you are not a foreign worker, that is basically slavery.

Seriously, Dubai is practically a feudal state.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I would still take the bags of money to teach some prince there anything

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

dokomoy posted:

For what it's worth guys from my academy have won medals at each of the no-gi worlds and we train almost exclusively with the gi(the only time I've seen anyone rolling no-gi this calendar year is when George Sotiropoulos trained with us).
I know this is from a while back, but what was he like personality wise and training wise? I'm a huge fan of his.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
I'm going to my first BJJ competition this coming weekend. I've only been practicing since february so it's mostly for the experience I'm going, though I wouldn't mind not making a total fool of myself.

Any tips or ideas on what I should focus on in practice during the coming week or when competing? What are some basic sweeps and submissions I should focus on? I'm looking for some basic stuff since my BJJ isn't all that advanced.

Thanks in advance!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It's your first tournament, so my advice to you is just to enjoy yourself. Unless you have always won at everything forever and must maintain that record, just RELAX and have fun. As long as you are doing the hug-fighting for recreational purposes, might as well enjoy yourself.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
Yeah, definately. It's a small, local tournament so the skill level won't be amazingly high or anything, and you're guaranteed two matches so that's good. Plus it's a nice opportunity to get to know the other guys who train aswell :allears:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If you don't have a strong wrestling base the worst part of white belt tournaments is definitely all the guys that do, it can often leave you feeling like you're at a wrestling meet with a Gi on.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

beadgc posted:

Yeah, definately. It's a small, local tournament so the skill level won't be amazingly high or anything, and you're guaranteed two matches so that's good. Plus it's a nice opportunity to get to know the other guys who train aswell :allears:

I too had a competition this weekend. Unfortunately I showed up a half hour past my division... so no comps for me. (it was a 4 hour drive there)

On the plus side my teammates seemed to do pretty well andI got to watch a lot of others compete and that's pretty fun too.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 9, 2011

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I was sick and hadn't been to BJJ class in a while so I didn't compete, but my younger brother competed in a NAGA competition in New Jersey this weekend. (NJ is a bad state, the people can't drive and you can't turn left anywhere wtf) He placed second in both his divisions, and it was a fairly big turn out. Watching all the kids walk around with swords they won was kind of stupid though (i'm jealous I would have loved a sword when I was 8)

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Nierbo posted:

I know this is from a while back, but what was he like personality wise and training wise? I'm a huge fan of his.

He drilled with everyone, and rolled with anyone who asked him to(though Jean Jacques mostly had him roll with other black belts/guys his size). He seemed like a really good guy too, friendly with everyone and didn't seem full of himself. As far as his actual rolling, the thing that stuck out to me is he was non stop everywhere always looking to pass/sweep/submit or get out of bad positions.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Fuckin awesome. Still my idol then.

Edit: We did a bunch of new waza after judo practice today, and I was totally buggered. It was a bit embarrassing. I asked the brown belt that does BJJ on his off days from Judo what I need to do to improve my cardio and he said 'running. thats all you need to know'. Is that really all I need to know, just run every day?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 9, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Nierbo posted:

Edit: We did a bunch of new waza after judo practice today, and I was totally buggered. It was a bit embarrassing. I asked the brown belt that does BJJ on his off days from Judo what I need to do to improve my cardio and he said 'running. thats all you need to know'. Is that really all I need to know, just run every day?

I'm sure running helps your cardio, but.. no, that is definitely not all you need to know. I can only speak for me, but I almost never run because of some issues with the muscles in my calves, but I can pretty much grapple high intensity for 30 minutes straight if I have to, and I have. In my opinion, the best way to build up stamina for grappling is to grapple, because god knows I haven't done anything ELSE to do it.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Nierbo posted:

HIIT and other primarily anaerobic cardio will translate really well to grappling, but jogging will only help if you're terribly out of shape and need to build a base level of aerobic cardio

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

The best results I've had is crossfit style workouts that focus on doing jiu-jitsu related exercises.

Too bad Crossfit here is like 100 bucks a month or I would still have a gym membership. I used to train out of a HS football coach's garage for 40 bucks a month. Didn't realize what a ridiculous deal that was until I moved to a large city and looked at the gym prices.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
We did some circuit thing at judo, 30 seconds of each of these exercises and 3 seconds rest between each (the 3 seconds 'rest' was actually me getting my tired rear end off the drat mat).

1) over unders
2) backward uchi komi
3) pushups
4) forward uchi komi
5) crunches
6) burpees
7) seionage lifting opponent off the mat but not throwing them

We did that twice over, and it was pretty hardcore. Is that considered HIIT? I'm guessing I wouldn't get much out of the uchi komi without a partner, but I do have some weights, I could replace the uchi komis with bicep curls or something. I'm really committed to improving my conditioning now. I hate feeling like a new white belt. There was another white belt there who was about 16 or 17 and he had been going for the same amount of time as me (8 months or so), but only going once a week, whereas I go twice a week and he has better kuzushi than me and was giving me tips, ugh, I know I should stay humble and all that stuff but it felt like poo poo to have a less experienced white belt give me tips. I smashed him in randori but that just means when he starts to apply his knowledge when it counts, he will overtake me so I'm motivated as gently caress right now.

That crossfit looks awesome to be honest. Wish I had some more dough. When you say jiu jitsu related exercises, do you mean shrimping and crunches and flexibility and stuff? I've never taken BJJ but I so badly want to. We did like a tiny bit of ne waza at the end of last lesson and it was the funnest poo poo ever. I almost got arm barred but I got two RNCs after controlling his back. Well sloppy RNC's, no ones ever really sat down and taught me the technique properly.
Thanks for everyones help by the way, I know I ask more questions than anyone else, but whenever I google something I don't know how trustworthy it is.

e:

You can't see it too well, but I've got some bruises on my fingers where I taped them. Does that mean I taped them too tight?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 10, 2011

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
When I think of jiu jitsu related exercises I think of turkish get-ups and how much they kick my rear end, but that's all kinds of jiu jitsu related movements. Explosive everything, basing out, standing up because every jiu jitsu'er everywhere is terrible at standing up in guard. Stuff with weight bags also works. In terms of stuff that is straight jiu jitsu standing up in guard over and over and transitioning from guard to the back on a standing partner is always fun. Or just wrestling, man wrestling is tiring.

And as long as you assume I'm wrong about everything I say all the questions are cool and keep the thread going.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Matt D'Aquino's stuff on his youtube page is pretty good for fitness and some technique stuff. Search for "beyondgrappling'. He's an Aussie olympic judoka and I think a purple belt, and put alot of good information up online.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Run up and down hills. Fast.

Or you could do alot of burpees.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Gonna pimp Drill to Win once again. The whole book is a gold mine of grappling related drills that can work as conditioning for one person, or partners. It doesn't really construct a work out for you, but it's phenomenal for ideas. Andre's trained with a lot of high level people and he's obviously been collecting these for years. Couture's book was mostly just a crappier version of this one with some barbell complexes. It's great to have for yourself, and when I was running the occasional class it was even better.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Rolling the past couple weeks, Iève realized I SUCK at getting my RNCs in. I can take their back no problem, but they always tuck their heads and just grab my wrists. What can I do better to lock it in better?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
It's a bit dicky but if you have a free arm you can bash your forearm under their nose and pull their head up that way revealing their throat

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've always used my arm to pull their head up - is there some kind of gym etiquette against doing that?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
in my experience it's the same as putting pressure on somebody's throat using your forearm. you can do it a little bit and it's okay or you can push with all your might and get some nasty looks. same way you can either lever their head up using your forearm against their forehead or over their eyes or something which i think is okay but specifically placing your forearm just below their nose and heaving upwards is often frowned upon in friendly sparring.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My RNC's are really terrible too. It's sad because I have a pretty solid backmount-- starting to work with the seatbelt grip has helped me, though, and my years of being a lovely choker has made my armbar from the backmount pretty good, so there's a silver lining anyway.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bohemian Nights posted:

My RNC's are really terrible too. It's sad because I have a pretty solid backmount-- starting to work with the seatbelt grip has helped me, though, and my years of being a lovely choker has made my armbar from the backmount pretty good, so there's a silver lining anyway.

I've found letting an opponent slip out on the opposite side from your underhook with the seatbelt grip lets you turn over into an arm triangle a lot. My RNCs also suck, quite a bit.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

niethan posted:

It's a bit dicky but if you have a free arm you can bash your forearm under their nose and pull their head up that way revealing their throat

if you are a white belt, please do not do this. It's really easy to gently caress up and hurt people, I've even heard of broken noses resulting from a guy doing this and twisting weird or just being unlucky. If you're blue or higher then I am going to assume you have the dexterity and judgement to try it, but I still don't think it's really necessary.

A good alternative is to use your forearm on their forehead, place it palm away from you (looking at your knuckles) against the center of their head and then roll it over and move your arm up and back towards your own head. The torque will force their head back and give you their throat, without having to fiddle with the nose.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
RNC: The details

-seatbelt grip is even more important than hooks for back control, hooks without upper body control can be escaped, upper body control makes it easier to keep the position and work. You can even set it entirely without the hooks if you get it in and deep quickly. Seatbelt allows you to trap a wrist as well, and it's reaaaaaally hard to defend the RNC with only one arm.

- best to worst positioning: Belly down flattened, Arm trapped with your leg, side lying with your "top" (over the shoulder)arm to the mat, sitting, side lying with the top arm up.

-When you seatbelt, grab as high as you can on the top forearm, and keep it covered with the underhook arm. This'll make it much harder for them to grab the choking wrist, as a blind grab will only tie up their hands.

-Go straight in. Marcelo uses what he calls the "can opener" to get under tucked chins. Basically, the blade of the forearm goes to the chin, and you keep turning it up and down to force the chin up bit by bit.

-his chin by your elbow, hand on or past your bicep, head tucked, back hand tucked all the way behind the head. If you've got long arms, you might have to go as high as your shoulder to get a good angle.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

RNC: The details

-seatbelt grip is even more important than hooks for back control, hooks without upper body control can be escaped, upper body control makes it easier to keep the position and work. You can even set it entirely without the hooks if you get it in and deep quickly. Seatbelt allows you to trap a wrist as well, and it's reaaaaaally hard to defend the RNC with only one arm.

- best to worst positioning: Belly down flattened, Arm trapped with your leg, side lying with your "top" (over the shoulder)arm to the mat, sitting, side lying with the top arm up.

-When you seatbelt, grab as high as you can on the top forearm, and keep it covered with the underhook arm. This'll make it much harder for them to grab the choking wrist, as a blind grab will only tie up their hands.

-Go straight in. Marcelo uses what he calls the "can opener" to get under tucked chins. Basically, the blade of the forearm goes to the chin, and you keep turning it up and down to force the chin up bit by bit.

-his chin by your elbow, hand on or past your bicep, head tucked, back hand tucked all the way behind the head. If you've got long arms, you might have to go as high as your shoulder to get a good angle.

This is a fantastic group of tips. I started doing the deep grips on my forearms, rather than clasping my hands, about a month ago and holy poo poo, my back control and RNC ability just shot up. I also have long thin arms, which I think makes that adjustment a bigger deal for me than someone with thicker arms or less wingspan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Also instead of grabbing your bicep you can clench your hand into a fist once you get it in position, depending on how muscular your forearm is that will cause it to flex and tighten the RNC by quite a bit. 80% of the strength of the RNC should be from rolling your shoulders back, filling your lungs with air and pushing with your hips though. If you haven't got it quite in and you're just using your arms you risk burning them out, especially if you have 6-7 more fights to go in the tournament.

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 10, 2011