Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I have an '01 SV650S. The weather was finally nice today, so I decided to replace the clutch/brake levers (really easy to do). Once I finished, I went to start it up to make sure all is well, and I can't get it started.

- The lights/neutral light/odometer/gas light all come on.
- When I go to start it, I hear clicks, and it sometimes tries to turn over (I heard the engine go CHI CHI a couple times).
- If I try to start it repeatedly, I only hear clicks, no turn over.
- If I let it sit for about a minute and then try to start it, it'll probably try to turn over.

I'm hoping it's the battery. Does that sound like a battery issue? I think either way I'm gonna take the battery up to Autozone to get it tested tomorrow. I just bought the bike a couple weeks ago, so I have no idea how old it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Morphix posted:

Anyone know anything about front-end swaps on SV1KS? Specifically an 03' SV 1000N.

A good friend of mine had his bike smashed up in a parking lot (it was parked at the time) and it needs new forks/rotor/brakes/wheel so I figured a front-end conversion much like you can do with the SV650 is possible, especially with how expensive the OEM parts are from Suzuki. I mean you can get a front-end for the 650 for $700-900 off a gsxr.

Same as doing a SV650.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

BlackMK4 posted:

Same as doing a SV650.

Really? So like a GSX-R 750 or whatever you pick up for the SV650 will work on the 1k? That's awesome thanks.

edit- Maybe I should ask since I'm here, what's the recommend model/year of GSX-Rs to look into for an '03 1KN?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing it would be better to use the 1k forks because they're probably more appropriately sprung/larger diameter than the 600/750 forks?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

lancemantis posted:

I'm guessing it would be better to use the 1k forks because they're probably more appropriately sprung/larger diameter than the 600/750 forks?

It's -mostly- moot. 600/750 have Showa forks, 1000 is Kayaba. Showas are supposed to be better in stock form but who would notice the difference. Mostly comes down to color preference if you're looking at complete setups. I think 1k was black (depending on year), 750 was silver, and 600 was gold.

Hopefully a GSXR god comes in with the spring rate differences.

Also, I have been drooling over this 1k build for months.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=113125

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 3, 2011

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Fangs404 posted:

'01 SV650S woes

I have an '01 SV650S too and had exactly the same problem last fall a couple of months after I bought it. It turned out that my battery was bad and wouldn't hold a charge. I also had a bad regulator/rectifier, which probably contributed to the battery's failure. I bought a new battery and installed a better R/R from a CBR, and things seem to be fixed.

There's a guy on SVrider who had the same symptoms, but with a known good battery and R/R. Here's a link to his thread with some troubleshooting advice.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Loucks posted:

I have an '01 SV650S too and had exactly the same problem last fall a couple of months after I bought it. It turned out that my battery was bad and wouldn't hold a charge. I also had a bad regulator/rectifier, which probably contributed to the battery's failure. I bought a new battery and installed a better R/R from a CBR, and things seem to be fixed.

There's a guy on SVrider who had the same symptoms, but with a known good battery and R/R. Here's a link to his thread with some troubleshooting advice.

Excellent, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm hoping it's just the battery, but if I find it drains abnormally fast after replacing it, I'll look towards the R/R. Is the R/R a universal part that fits on all bikes, or is it just happenstance that the CBR R/R fits on an '01 SV650S?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/2359395276.html

Seems like a good deal, should I bite? I kinda want to replace my GS500.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

Excellent, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm hoping it's just the battery, but if I find it drains abnormally fast after replacing it, I'll look towards the R/R. Is the R/R a universal part that fits on all bikes, or is it just happenstance that the CBR R/R fits on an '01 SV650S?

You should read this thread: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=106041. I used an FH008 R/R because I knew it would fit under the curvy plastics.

Be advised that I'm just learning about all this stuff too. I didn't know how to use a multimeter six months ago. For all I know your starter relay is bad and replacing that would fix everything. Or you managed to loosen a connection when you replaced those levers.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fangs404 posted:

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf get a mulitmeter and print that out.
if you're buying a new r/r pretty much any one can be spliced in but i recommend the FH012AA Mosfet R/R, you can find them on ebay they're fitted oem to most new yamahas, i bought mine off this guy http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20FH012AA%20Regulator%20upgrade%20kit.htm
they dont fit in the stock location but you can easily mount them under the back seat as the cables in his kit are nice and long

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

echomadman posted:

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf get a mulitmeter and print that out.
if you're buying a new r/r pretty much any one can be spliced in but i recommend the FH012AA Mosfet R/R, you can find them on ebay they're fitted oem to most new yamahas, i bought mine off this guy http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20FH012AA%20Regulator%20upgrade%20kit.htm
they dont fit in the stock location but you can easily mount them under the back seat as the cables in his kit are nice and long

Wow, that chart's amazing. I've got a multimeter, so I'll get going on this soon. Thanks man.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
So I decided to just take my battery in, and it was dead. It looked really old (I have no idea how old - there were no dates on it). I hope that's the only problem. The battery is charging, and I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow, so we'll see then....

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

It's -mostly- moot. 600/750 have Showa forks, 1000 is Kayaba. Showas are supposed to be better in stock form but who would notice the difference. Mostly comes down to color preference if you're looking at complete setups. I think 1k was black (depending on year), 750 was silver, and 600 was gold.

Hopefully a GSXR god comes in with the spring rate differences.

Also, I have been drooling over this 1k build for months.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=113125

That looks badass. I've been wringing my hands about doing a front end swap on mine, I'm glad this discussion came up.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
More front-end swap chat;

How is this in terms of condition? This is for an 03 SV1000N.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260775947732&viewitem=

Is there anything too look out for? Like tall tell signs to avoid or wear-tear in certain locations?

SykoFreak
Dec 24, 2004
Get a job, Sparkling Wiggles!
Should I buy this?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2360646876.html

This would be my first bike.

Cons:
- Bike is an hour and a half drive away. If I wanted to move on it, I would probably have to rent a truck and motorcycle trailer and make the drive. If I decide to walk from the deal at that point, I've wasted a bunch of time plus the truck rental costs.
- Looks like the bike doesn't have any mirrors.
- No license plate bracket? Maybe he just took it off for the photo?
- Looks like aftermarket front and rear turn signals, less conspicuous, more stylish, but I'm more interested in safety.
- As stated in the ad, it's missing the seat cowl and it's been dropped.

Here is another picture of the bike from an older ad, same bike.
http://i52.tinypic.com/23sb289.jpg
What could have caused the dent on the exhaust?

Edit: fixed the link

SykoFreak fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 4, 2011

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I've been watching that bike for a few weeks now. It showed up wrecked with bent forks for $1000 about 2 weeks ago. The guy bought it and swapped gsxr forks on it, which is cool. But now he's trying to sell it for $3500, reposting it everyday and acting like he's not trying to flip it before the 30 days is up on the title.

Oh and the license bracket was on the left side swingarm.

I thought about offering him 2k for it since I know he'd still be profiting but I just didn't want to deal with him.

SykoFreak
Dec 24, 2004
Get a job, Sparkling Wiggles!
Interesting. I had a suspicion that the front end was wrecked so that's why the swap was done. I'm not familiar with what you're saying in regards to the title. What happens to the title after 30 days?

the chinaman
Oct 25, 2004
Wow, I was just going to make a post about that exact bike to see if it was good deal. After what Waffles said, it doesn't seem like it.

SykoFreak, I'm in Austin too. If you're looking for a first bike, I got a well used little Ninja 250 I could sell you :D

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
If the first owner of the bike signed the title and put a date on it, the next owner has 30 days to go to the tax office and get it transfered. But the guy that did the swap is probably expecting the person that buys it from him to transfer the title to their name, saving him ~$300. Make sense?

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
Finished the msf this weekend, and finally got out on my sv. At the end of the ride, when I went to park the bike, I tried to put the bike in first but the trans was grinding. I have not been back out on it, but it wasn't grinding during any other shifts all day. Should I be worried? The bike was maintained by a 65 year old, Ned Flanders, motorcycle nut, so everything is up to date, including fresh oil.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Maybe you didn't push the lever hard and clean enough. Mine grinds if I dont give it a clean enough stab.

You may also want to check your clutch cable slack.

Also, I wouldn't trust a PO's maintenance. You should go through that bike and look for loose bolts, worn pieces, and put some fresh oil in her.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Went to start it up the other morning. Helmet on, gloves on, earplugs in(gently caress you I don't care), key in the ignition...clutch in, kickstand up..... START

oh hay i dont hear a rumbling from my engine.

OH HAY MY ENGINE ISN'T STARTING

OH HAY MY STARTER ISN'T EVEN TRYING TO MOVE

OH GOD MY BUTTON DOES NOTHING AND MY LIGHTS DON'T EVEN DIM WHEN TRYING TO START IT?!??!

i have hit the starter and the solenoid (that green electrical box right?) with a wrench.

This has not helped the problem :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...is the killswitch on? :v:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

BlackMK4 posted:

...is the killswitch on? :v:

reporting this post

yes it's set to RUN

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Have you checked the kickstand switch, clutch switch, and neutral switch? I have no personal experience there, but the symptoms match.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
So turns out it was my battery that was dead. I bought a new battery, hooked it up, and my bike started right up. However, turns out I bought the wrong battery. I bought a 12-BS from O'Reilly. Turns out the 1st gen SV650 needs a 12A-BS (it's about an inch shorter and allows the fuse box to be placed on top of the battery). After tons of driving around and calling, I finally found a place that has one in stock. BatteriesPlus carries it (http://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...99-to-2002.aspx). Their battery is awesome for 2 reasons: 1, everyone else wants loving $100+ for that drat battery, and they only want $70 for it. 2, it's ready to drop in the bike and go (none of that fill up the battery acid and charge for 10 hours nonsense). If you need a replacement battery, I'd definitely recommend BatteriesPlus.

Now, I have a new problem. The owner(s) before me dropped the bike, and the shifter and rear brake pedals were both bent badly. I replaced the shifter no problem, but I went to take off the brake pedal, and the top screw holding in the rearset is so tight that the allen wrench stripped the grooves on the screw head. Now the wrench just spins around. The screw is still stuck in there. How the hell can I get that screw out? I was able to get the bottom one out, but the top one won't budge.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Fangs404 posted:

So turns out it was my battery that was dead. I bought a new battery, hooked it up, and my bike started right up. However, turns out I bought the wrong battery. I bought a 12-BS from O'Reilly. Turns out the 1st gen SV650 needs a 12A-BS (it's about an inch shorter and allows the fuse box to be placed on top of the battery). After tons of driving around and calling, I finally found a place that has one in stock. BatteriesPlus carries it (http://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...99-to-2002.aspx). Their battery is awesome for 2 reasons: 1, everyone else wants loving $100+ for that drat battery, and they only want $70 for it. 2, it's ready to drop in the bike and go (none of that fill up the battery acid and charge for 10 hours nonsense). If you need a replacement battery, I'd definitely recommend BatteriesPlus.

Now, I have a new problem. The owner(s) before me dropped the bike, and the shifter and rear brake pedals were both bent badly. I replaced the shifter no problem, but I went to take off the brake pedal, and the top screw holding in the rearset is so tight that the allen wrench stripped the grooves on the screw head. Now the wrench just spins around. The screw is still stuck in there. How the hell can I get that screw out? I was able to get the bottom one out, but the top one won't budge.

Batteries plus is awesome. They got me a smaller batt for my sv and they have a 2 week no questions asked return policy the guy said I could use if it didn't fit/work.

Stuck screw - easyout bit for a few bucks from your local hardware shop should do it..

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fangs404 posted:

I remember those bolts being a nightmare when i replaced my rearsets.
Drive a bigger torx head bit into the stripped out socket, use an impact driver if you can get one, electric/air/manual or else get a bigass breaker bar.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

echomadman posted:

I remember those bolts being a nightmare when i replaced my rearsets.
Drive a bigger torx head bit into the stripped out socket, use an impact driver if you can get one, electric/air/manual or else get a bigass breaker bar.

This did it! Goddamn, this was one of the biggest loving pains in the rear end I've ever experienced. I bought some Black & Decker extractor bits. While drilling into the screw, I snapped a drill bit in half. Then when I tried using one of the extractor bits, part of it broke off on the screw. Then I thought back to this post, and a T40 torx actually fit without spinning, but I couldn't get enough torque to get the bolt free. I went to Lowes and picked up a breaker bar and a T40 bit. Within a minute of getting home, I finally got that loving bolt free. I made it my bitch, and I slapped it while it sucked me off.

Thanks guys. Got new levers, new shifter, new brake pedal, and a new battery. I take the MSF this weekend, so it's perfect timing!

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
Test drove an '08 SV650 and SV650S today. Couple questions:

1) Is it normal for there to be a thin black ring of grease (or something) around the forks where the suspension normally reaches, or does that indicate the fork seals need to be replaced?

2) Is it possible for a bike to feel like it's pointing slightly left while going straight, and if so what can cause that? The SV650 felt that way and the SVS and the Triumph bikes I rode a couple weeks ago didn't. So I don't think my arms are unequal length or something.

The riding position of the SV felt like it was a little more comfortable than the SVS, but the SV had aftermarket handlebars that looked like clip-ons so it wasn't too big a difference.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

King Nothing posted:

Test drove an '08 SV650 and SV650S today. Couple questions:

1) Is it normal for there to be a thin black ring of grease (or something) around the forks where the suspension normally reaches, or does that indicate the fork seals need to be replaced?

2) Is it possible for a bike to feel like it's pointing slightly left while going straight, and if so what can cause that? The SV650 felt that way and the SVS and the Triumph bikes I rode a couple weeks ago didn't. So I don't think my arms are unequal length or something.

The riding position of the SV felt like it was a little more comfortable than the SVS, but the SV had aftermarket handlebars that looked like clip-ons so it wasn't too big a difference.

The ring of grease is just probably road grime stuck to the shaft :quagmire: that gets pushed down to form a ring when the suspension compresses.

Also on my 07 SVS I never really felt like it was askew at all, I assume it was used? Maybe something was loose then re-tightened tweaking the front a little bit.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

The ring of grease is just probably road grime stuck to the shaft :quagmire: that gets pushed down to form a ring when the suspension compresses.

Also on my 07 SVS I never really felt like it was askew at all, I assume it was used? Maybe something was loose then re-tightened tweaking the front a little bit.

Yeah, both bikes were used.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

King Nothing posted:

Yeah, both bikes were used.

Well that would be something to check out then, front end alignment that is. Also, was the ring of grease on the forks very pronounced or was it super thin? If it was super thin I wouldn't worry too much about it, just dust as I said, but if it was thick and goopy that might be a sign the seals are going.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Well that would be something to check out then, front end alignment that is. Also, was the ring of grease on the forks very pronounced or was it super thin? If it was super thin I wouldn't worry too much about it, just dust as I said, but if it was thick and goopy that might be a sign the seals are going.

It was pretty thin. The SV650 was at a dealer and I told the salesman about the alignment issue so maybe they'll fix it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

King Nothing posted:

It was pretty thin. The SV650 was at a dealer and I told the salesman about the alignment issue so maybe they'll fix it.

Hopefully, ask them to loosen/tighten everything then take it for another spin. And I wouldn't be too worried about the ring on the forks if it's minuscule.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Just finished day 2 of the MSF! The only thing I really had a hard time with was uturns, but I'm hoping that had to do with the fact that I was on the only vstar in the class. With any luck, I should have my license in hand Monday! My SV is all fixed up, and I can't wait to ride!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
They let you use vstars??

drat our class had clapped out nighthawks and such. And then there was me - on a kickin rad TW200 :smug:.

I'm not going to lie that the TW was complete and utter loving cheating and I'm glad someone who really was fresh to bikes didn't get it because that thing was easy-mode.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

JP Money posted:

They let you use vstars??

drat our class had clapped out nighthawks and such. And then there was me - on a kickin rad TW200 :smug:.

I'm not going to lie that the TW was complete and utter loving cheating and I'm glad someone who really was fresh to bikes didn't get it because that thing was easy-mode.

I agree, the dual sports make tests 100x easier than any of the clunky cruisers the classes use.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

BradleyJamers posted:

I agree, the dual sports make tests 100x easier than any of the clunky cruisers the classes use.

I was really hoping to hear that. I hope my SV has better handling than that vstar. We have 1 nighthawk, the vstar I rode, and the rest are dual sports. Everyone on dual sports seems to have a much easier time than me and the nighthawk guy on uturns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I can't even tell you how much easier they are. If you can trade up, try it out. It's pretty ridiculous due to the dirtbike bars - they give you a ton of leverage at low speeds to where you barely have to counterlean to do sharp u-turns and such.

The TW especially has such fat tires too that it doesn't really lean at all and just turns. Also - don't be afraid to ride the clutch when doing u-turns. I also tend to drag the rear brake a bit when doing low-speed u-turns. To me it helps set the rear suspension in place and make the turn much smoother / consistent. Please don't jam on the rear brake mid-turn though unless you like folding in on yourself and eating poo poo.

If it's any consolation we only had 1 TW in the group and I had to win at least 5 games of rock-paper-scissors for the privilege to ride it the entire weekend. Most of us were fairly experienced dirtbikers too so we kind of just hosed around the whole weekend when our instructor turned his back.

• Locked thread