Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Regarding MLA style in academic essays...

I know that style dictates that quotes of four lines or longer ought to be made block quotes, but does this also mean that quotes of less than four lines cannot be block quotes?

I was assigned an essay on some poetry and I figure that just block-quoting everything might make it easier to read.

Edit: Yes, there are style manuals online, but we were also given some very confusing advice by our professor and it's a bit late to ask her. I'm looking for the safest option.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frobert blamble
Feb 6, 2009

by T. Finn

madkapitolist posted:

Im trying to remember a specific quote. It is saying that you can tell more about a person while they are dealing with a problem than when he is sucessful. Or maybe its more like its easy for a rich person to be generous but take away his money and look again. Yea I suck at remembering quotes.

It doesn't quite fit what you're saying, but it's a pretty popular quotation:

"I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

frobert blamble fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 6, 2011

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Decided to not post a thread about this and just post it here.

Due to some crappy circumstances I am in need of finding a new place that I can call home. Being poor in a lovely economy has made this choice that much harder (or easier depending on how you look at it) and all basically points to "living in a studio". I have always lived with roommates and this will be the first outing on my own. I am so used to this idea that my home needs walls and designated areas that the idea of just walking into my apartment and immediately seeing my bed on the floor kind of freaks me out. So I am mostly wanting to hear experiences from other goons. Specifically those that have been there for about a year and even more-so from goons that moved from a home/bigger apartment. Did you start out apprehensive like I only to find that it's not too bad? What are some tips to opening the room up and maximizing space? What are the positives and the negatives and all the small stuff that I can guarantee I am over looking.

If there is a thread that is better suited for this question feel free to direct me there.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Pootie, that kind of question is probably suited for its own thread, since you're looking for responses from multiple people about a fairly general topic.

I went from living in a huge house with a bunch of dudes to living in a one-bedroom with a girl for a couple of years, and just today I got a note slipped under my door that the lease on my studio is coming to an end. To answer your questions, yeah pretty much, shelves, and this is why this is suitable for its own thread. Really, the only major lifestyle difference that I've noticed is that I'm way less cool with having a drunk friend crash on the couch. Also, if you're a messy person, it will be harder to keep clean and you can't just throw everything in your bedroom to make your living room suitable for company on short notice. I was pretty reluctant to even look at studios, but now I think if I move somewhere else, I will stick with studios unless I find a screamin' deal on a one-bedroom. I don't know how many studios you've seen, but check some out. There are a lot of different types of floor plans. I've seen a lot of studios that do sort of have bedrooms, just nothing that can be legally considered a bedroom.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In reference to ceiling fans - what does "blocked and wired for ceiling fan" mean? Is it that the wiring and box is already there and all you need to do is throw the fan up?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
What's that deal with automobile racing and milk?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eyeball posted:

What's that deal with automobile racing and milk?

It's an Indy thing, and afaik not established for other motorsports, where people still do champagne.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_500#Milk

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bovine Delight posted:

In reference to ceiling fans - what does "blocked and wired for ceiling fan" mean? Is it that the wiring and box is already there and all you need to do is throw the fan up?
Yep. "Blocked" means the box is in place and reinforced.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

frobert blamble posted:

It doesn't quite fit what you're saying, but it's a pretty popular quotation:

"I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

What made you think that was the right quote? It's not even close.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

pootiebigwang posted:

Decided to not post a thread about this and just post it here.

Due to some crappy circumstances I am in need of finding a new place that I can call home. Being poor in a lovely economy has made this choice that much harder (or easier depending on how you look at it) and all basically points to "living in a studio". I have always lived with roommates and this will be the first outing on my own. I am so used to this idea that my home needs walls and designated areas that the idea of just walking into my apartment and immediately seeing my bed on the floor kind of freaks me out. So I am mostly wanting to hear experiences from other goons. Specifically those that have been there for about a year and even more-so from goons that moved from a home/bigger apartment. Did you start out apprehensive like I only to find that it's not too bad? What are some tips to opening the room up and maximizing space? What are the positives and the negatives and all the small stuff that I can guarantee I am over looking.

If there is a thread that is better suited for this question feel free to direct me there.

I went from living in a three-bedroom/1-bathroom house by myself to a studio a couple years ago (actually, I had roommates in the house for the last 3 months I lived there, but for a year prior I was alone), with a short stint in a 2bed/1bath apartment with a roommate in between.

It wasn't that bad a transition. I've kind of arranged my furniture to separate my "living room," "bedroom," and kitchen area, and whereas my walls seemed pretty bare in the house, I don't have enough room for all my pictures in my studio. There's not a whole lot of room for my stuff, but anything I don't use somewhat regularly is either stored under my bed in boxes or in my parents' storage unit. It didn't really take any time to get used to, although I've spent a lot of time living alone, and also my cousin slept on my couch for a bit when I first moved in. I still didn't find it that cramped, but I'm pretty chill about stuff.

The only real cons I can think of are that wall space thing, and the lack of a full-size fridge (ymmv on the fridge, though). Pros include a significantly lower heating/electric bill compared to living with a retarded, wasteful roommate and being cheaper in terms of rent and bills overall.

Relax, you'll be fine. :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

madkapitolist posted:

Im trying to remember a specific quote. It is saying that you can tell more about a person while they are dealing with a problem than when he is sucessful. Or maybe its more like its easy for a rich person to be generous but take away his money and look again. Yea I suck at remembering quotes.

Is it this MLK quote?:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

dmkmills
Nov 12, 2003
Jedi Knight

2508084 posted:

Norcal, here you can fill out a new one at the DMV. If you don't have your license, you need another form of ID though to prove who you are.

Trip report: mission DMV = HUGE SUCCESS. Thanks for the answer, you were absolutely correct, they didn't even blink when I didn't have my form :)

(Nearly) everyone there was pretty friendly, too! Thanks again!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Its summer time and all those terrible gnats ball up outside. Whenever I open the door to my house, for the smallest moment, countless amounts get in and invade my house. Right now there is about 7 on this computer screen dancing around the white and blue webpage.

They dont seem to notice my flypaper which I put up in desperation, and the local spider in the corner of my wall is beyond capacity with the gnats and cant eat them all in one shot.

Help? :(

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

pootiebigwang posted:

What are the positives and the negatives and all the small stuff that I can guarantee I am over looking.

Maybe it's just me but after a while I really missed being able to pace from room to room in order to release some stress or just distract myself for a moment (never realized this was important). Spending too long in a single room can feel like being incarcerated. Make sure you take a walk everyday and see something other than the same walls.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
there's this trope I've seen a lot, and I'm wondering about the etymology of it.

basically, the idea is that there's this giant turtle. atop the giant turtle is a city, usually one full of thieves or scoundrels or the like. also, it's not like the turtle is unknown to the populace of the city; they are well aware that they are on top of a giant turtle.

I first saw this idea in a children's book series a few years ago, and I thought it was a pretty novel idea at the time. fast forward a little, and an episode of Adventure Time has pretty much the same idea, albeit with the turtle having died some time ago.

does anyone know if there's a myth or something about a city on top of a turtle?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

a computer posted:

What made you think that was the right quote? It's not even close.

I initially thought the same thing too, after a quick glance at the original post. A quote about how something is difficult for a rich man always mentally links to that verse.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

computer parts posted:

there's this trope I've seen a lot, and I'm wondering about the etymology of it.

basically, the idea is that there's this giant turtle. atop the giant turtle is a city, usually one full of thieves or scoundrels or the like. also, it's not like the turtle is unknown to the populace of the city; they are well aware that they are on top of a giant turtle.

I first saw this idea in a children's book series a few years ago, and I thought it was a pretty novel idea at the time. fast forward a little, and an episode of Adventure Time has pretty much the same idea, albeit with the turtle having died some time ago.

does anyone know if there's a myth or something about a city on top of a turtle?

The most prominent example of this in modern times is the Discworld novels, and it's almost certainly what Adventure Time is referencing, but there are a lot of ancient myths that also have something like that.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Eyeball posted:

Pootie, that kind of question is probably suited for its own thread, since you're looking for responses from multiple people about a fairly general topic.

True. Actually, though, I've been meaning to start a big thread for moving questions and discussions. If anyone has any favorite resources for apartment hunting, moving, etc., please PM me. If you do not have PM's, you can email me at wizardofeggplant at gmail dot com.

p.s. I already know about craigslist, padmapper, apartmentratings, apartmentguide, and apartment therapy. I'll be looking for more, but if you have any that are off the beaten track or perhaps oriented toward some specific major urban area, that would be good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

computer parts posted:

"In Hindu mythology the world is thought to rest on the backs of four elephants who stand on the shell of a turtle. In Hinduism, Akupara is a tortoise who carries the world on his back, upholding the Earth and the sea."

"The World Turtle carries the Earth upon its back in myths from North America. In Cheyenne tradition, the great creator spirit Maheo kneads some mud he takes from a coot's beak until it expands so much that only Old Grandmother Turtle can support it on her back. In Mohawk tradition, the trembling or shaking of the Earth is thought of as a sign that the World Turtle is stretching beneath the great weight that she carries."

el_gringo
Dec 18, 2006

Some are just bitter revolutionaries.

Viva Tequila Party, 2012
Does anyone know what is included in the personal in-flight kit that Delta gives you when you fly Business Elite?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

computer parts posted:

Just FYI, etymology is the study of word roots. I think you mean etiology, which is the study of origins.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

el_gringo posted:

Does anyone know what is included in the personal in-flight kit that Delta gives you when you fly Business Elite?

Last time I got one it was a travel toothbrush and toothpaste, an eye mask, and some socks with rubber nubbins on the bottom. There may have been some lotion in there, too.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I have sections of my front yard that refuse to grow new, healthy grass. Right now, these sections are combination of dead, brown grass and dirt that doesn't seem to have anything growing in it.

It seems to be localized to these areas, as the rest of the yard (the entire back yard, the right-side of the driveway, etc) have no issues growing grass, so I don't THINK that it's a general problem like insects, moles, or anything else like that.

What can I do to fix this? :(

el_gringo
Dec 18, 2006

Some are just bitter revolutionaries.

Viva Tequila Party, 2012

Wyatt posted:

Last time I got one it was a travel toothbrush and toothpaste, an eye mask, and some socks with rubber nubbins on the bottom. There may have been some lotion in there, too.

Thank you!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Crows Turn Off posted:

I have sections of my front yard that refuse to grow new, healthy grass. Right now, these sections are combination of dead, brown grass and dirt that doesn't seem to have anything growing in it.

It seems to be localized to these areas, as the rest of the yard (the entire back yard, the right-side of the driveway, etc) have no issues growing grass, so I don't THINK that it's a general problem like insects, moles, or anything else like that.

I had a problem like this and after a couple years I found a plastic tarp under one area and a bunch of wood under another.

Other things can be that the soil is just bad in those areas and/or the drainage is poor. Insects, disease can infect some areas and leave others ok. Is this a new development?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

fishmech posted:

"In Hindu mythology the world is thought to rest on the backs of four elephants who stand on the shell of a turtle. In Hinduism, Akupara is a tortoise who carries the world on his back, upholding the Earth and the sea."

"The World Turtle carries the Earth upon its back in myths from North America. In Cheyenne tradition, the great creator spirit Maheo kneads some mud he takes from a coot's beak until it expands so much that only Old Grandmother Turtle can support it on her back. In Mohawk tradition, the trembling or shaking of the Earth is thought of as a sign that the World Turtle is stretching beneath the great weight that she carries."

"You're very clever, young man, but it's no use - it's turtles all the way down!"

Now available on thongs, magnets, steins and dog t-shirts http://www.cafepress.com/turtleswaydown

Elijya fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 6, 2011

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
We seem to be having a problem with our mail carrier. We live in Houston on a cul-de-sac. Most people have more than one or two cars, and obviously people park in their driveways when they can but the ratio of cars/driveway space is at a premium. Some people even park up in their yards. But two or three cars have no choice but to park along the curb-there's just no way to avoid it unless we park clear out of the neighborhood.

Now obviously we can't be blocking the driveways, so we have to park in between. This is where the issue comes in. The mail lady refuses to deliver mail if she can't pull her car to the mailbox itself. Meaning, even if the car is not smack in front of the mailbox, if it is close enough that she can't just pull up to it, she won't deliver the mail. She will, however, get out and leave a snarky note on your box. Our neighbor got one today because my husband's car was too close to his mailbox and it said something about there having to be 30 feet of clearance?

Is this an actual thing or is my mail lady just lazy? Where the hell are we supposed to park if it is? If she is just lazy, what's the best course of action?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What's the best way for a foreigner to learn how to speak English? I know a married couple from Argentina, they have problems with pronunciation, and the main problem is when to use the long or short of vowels. Is it all with practice cause thats how I think I learned. The wife gets embarrassed speaking because she doesn't know when to use long or short vowels in sentences.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

spixxor posted:

Is this an actual thing or is my mail lady just lazy? Where the hell are we supposed to park if it is? If she is just lazy, what's the best course of action?

Maybe try calling one of these guys:
http://www.houstonpcc.com/houston_usps_contacts

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I had a problem like this and after a couple years I found a plastic tarp under one area and a bunch of wood under another.

Other things can be that the soil is just bad in those areas and/or the drainage is poor. Insects, disease can infect some areas and leave others ok. Is this a new development?
Yeah, it was fine last year. I assumed stuff like insects wouldn't be so localized, but I'm not an expert or anything. I did have it treated at the beginning of the season.

I saw a couple of mole mounds in the area, but nothing else unusual.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

spixxor posted:

I had a similar thing happen with regards to snow. You can't just make an opening to walk to the mailbox. You need to clear enough snow so the mail truck can pull up to the box and drive off. I got a snow thrower the next year so I never pressed the issue.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Sizzlechest posted:

I had a similar thing happen with regards to snow. You can't just make an opening to walk to the mailbox. You need to clear enough snow so the mail truck can pull up to the box and drive off. I got a snow thrower the next year so I never pressed the issue.

My mailman made me get a mailbox instead of the box on the porch when I moved in because I was young and he still carries the mail to the porch boxes of several of my neighbors because they are older(50s and healthy, not elderly). Also, I have rear flap that falls off if it is opened. It seems the mailman purposely knocks it off every day.
I know they won't deliver to me if my box is blocked, either. I think I even got a flier showing distances and stuff. Not sure if there are cul de sac exemptions. I think I've seen apartment style community boxes at cul de sacs before. They might put one up in the right of way of your or a neighbor's yard. Probably a neighbor that doesn't actually have this issue so he's going to be pissed:)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, it was fine last year. I assumed stuff like insects wouldn't be so localized, but I'm not an expert or anything. I did have it treated at the beginning of the season.

I saw a couple of mole mounds in the area, but nothing else unusual.

From your description and the lawn being an established lawn and this being a new thing I would lean heavily towards disease:

http://www.huskerlawnservice.com/disease.html

There are a ton of possibilities so I would suggest snapping some pictures adn taking it to your local garden store or home depot and browse a turf book.

I'm not pro or anything I have just dealt with about every single pain in the rear end for lawns because of horrible drainage and starting with zero topsoils.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Crows Turn Off posted:

Can you take photos? Also, where do you live? Just the state is fine if you don't want to give out too much info, just trying to find out what your climate is.

There are a few things that can cause this. The main factors that would cause that here are fertilizer burns, salt/deicer from winter, physical damage to the turf and animal waste. Depending on where you are fungus may or may not be a problem.

I'd just dig up the areas, lay down some fresh soil and starter fertilizer then reseed. Keep the area covered with something breathable like burlap so the seed doesn't get eaten by birds and it stays moist. Once it starts to sprout up pull the covering off.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
So the area I live in has a population of skunks which usually isn't a big issue, but it seems like they were really gettin busy earlier this year because my neighborhood is filthy with the little bastards now. There are about 3-4 female skunks and each of them is cruising about with 4-6 babies in tow. At the moment it's a rare night where I don't accidentally get within a few feet of one just because of the way the lawn is laid out and the way they like to chill out under the truck. They don't seem to have any fear of humans and just looked at me like I was an idiot when I tried to scare them off one day by throwing a dirt clod at them.

Is there any easy/cheap ways to keep them away from our driveway/front door? I haven't been sprayed yet but it's starting to seem like it's only a matter of time, especially since they're protective of the babies. Maybe just buy a low-power pellet gun to deter them?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Whenever I'm sitting down, I unconsciously start moving my legs up and down. I looked up restless leg syndrome, but it doesn't seem to be a good match since I don't feel pain.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

Is there any easy/cheap ways to keep them away from our driveway/front door? I haven't been sprayed yet but it's starting to seem like it's only a matter of time, especially since they're protective of the babies. Maybe just buy a low-power pellet gun to deter them?

Call Animal Control. Don't shoot them with a pellet gun, it'll only injure them painfully or piss them off. If you're going to shoot them, really shoot them.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Loopyface posted:

Call Animal Control. Don't shoot them with a pellet gun, it'll only injure them painfully or piss them off. If you're going to shoot them, really shoot them.

A few years ago when we had a similar problem I called the city and they said they'd only remove dead animals.

I don't want to actually hurt them. When I said pellet gun I meant a cheap POS without enough power to break skin at point-blank. Just enough to let them know that this isn't friendly territory, not enough to cause any injury at all.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

My mailman made me get a mailbox instead of the box on the porch when I moved in because I was young and he still carries the mail to the porch boxes of several of my neighbors because they are older(50s and healthy, not elderly). Also, I have rear flap that falls off if it is opened. It seems the mailman purposely knocks it off every day.
I know they won't deliver to me if my box is blocked, either. I think I even got a flier showing distances and stuff. Not sure if there are cul de sac exemptions. I think I've seen apartment style community boxes at cul de sacs before. They might put one up in the right of way of your or a neighbor's yard. Probably a neighbor that doesn't actually have this issue so he's going to be pissed:)

How close is considered blocked, though? I just went out and looked at how close my husband's car was to the box she wouldn't deliver to today and there is a good 9-10 feet in front of the box, and no cars at all behind it because most people are at work right now. My husband works night shifts, though.

If it really is 30 feet I just don't understand how the hell we're supposed to do that, there just isn't any room. Guess I'll have to call USPS and talk to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Good Citizen posted:

A few years ago when we had a similar problem I called the city and they said they'd only remove dead animals.

I don't want to actually hurt them. When I said pellet gun I meant a cheap POS without enough power to break skin at point-blank. Just enough to let them know that this isn't friendly territory, not enough to cause any injury at all.

Might as well get a Super Soaker and save on ammo at that point.