Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Wow mine came out really starwars-y!

"Mattho Laeuc"

Sounds like an alien copilot to me!

Barax Hosan :frogc00l: i'll be your copilot baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

So, when's the last time anyone in this thread actually watched a Star Wars movie? I think it's been about 2 years for me.
I Netflixed the bonus discs that the theatrical versions are on a couple of months ago because my tapes were so chewed up.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only watch the prequels with rifftrax

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I wouldn't mind watching Episode III again either, but I just realized I don't even own the Prequels :(

e. Star Wars Day sale at Rifftrax!

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Happy Star Wars Day! Here's a Darth Vader...ess?
enjoy: nsfw :)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just realized something. At the start of A New Hope after the blockade runner is captured, stromtroopers march off a bunch of prisoners from the crew. Is there anything in the EU that mentions them in any way? I'm kind of amused by the thought that several weeks after the Battle of Yavin, Leia suddenly remembers all the other prisoners from her ship she forgot to escape with before inadvertently having them blown up.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Chairman Capone posted:

I just realized something. At the start of A New Hope after the blockade runner is captured, stromtroopers march off a bunch of prisoners from the crew. Is there anything in the EU that mentions them in any way? I'm kind of amused by the thought that several weeks after the Battle of Yavin, Leia suddenly remembers all the other prisoners from her ship she forgot to escape with before inadvertently having them blown up.

They all had latent force abilities and were able to use them to escape.

Actually theres a real possibility they were put on Darth Vader's Star Destroyer...which went to the Death Star where the prisoners were...oh...oh god. They...they had families. Friends, wives, pets, they had them! Oh god.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

NeonTurtle posted:

So, when's the last time anyone in this thread actually watched a Star Wars movie? I think it's been about 2 years for me.

Just today. Started at around 6:30, ended at around 1:30. A bunch of us decided that a terrible pun was as good an excuse as any for a Star Wars marathon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Chairman Capone posted:

I feel like an idiot because I realized: A New Hope had a ship called the blockade runner. And in The Phantom Menace, they actually run a blockade.

I didn't notice this, but my brain did.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Grendels Dad posted:

I feel like an idiot because I realized: A New Hope had a ship called the blockade runner. And in The Phantom Menace, they actually run a blockade.

I didn't notice this, but my brain did.

This is just another perfect example of the great parallelism between the two trilogies that George Lucas had expertly planned out. SIX MOVIES ONE STORY THERE ARE NO TRILOGIES THERE ahahahaha gently caress I can't do this

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Chairman Capone posted:

Wookiepedia says the entire crew was killed. I think I remember in the ANH radio drama Vader orders them to be liquidated, so I don't even think it was EU:

quote:

Unable to find the plans on board the Tantive IV, Darth Vader ordered a team of stormtroopers to sweep the planet below to find them. Afterward, the corvette was destroyed and the entire crew was killed. Imperial propaganda, including a falsified report by the survey vessel Wide-Eyed, would later proclaim that an asteroid storm caused the destruction of the Tantive IV.
(okay the last sentence is probably EU)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DougieFFC posted:

Wookiepedia says the entire crew was killed. I think I remember in the ANH radio drama Vader orders them to be liquidated, so I don't even think it was EU:

(okay the last sentence is probably EU)

That makes sense given what they talk about in the movie. They need to make it look like the ship had an accident and blew up, otherwise it would generate sympathy in the Senate for...blah blah you know the rest. So they capture Leia and hold her, because she's the important one, and kill the rest of the crew so none of them can escape and tell the real story.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

DougieFFC posted:

:siren:Rebel sympathizers! Rebel sympathizers!! Rebel sympathizers!!!:siren:
Are you short on ship crew? Troops? How about Corellian Corvette parts? Then COME ON DOWN to the DEATH STAR LIQUIDATION BLOWOUT SALE!!!!
We've recently acquired a large amount of ship parts, droids, personnel, blasters and MUCH, MUCH MORE!
The prices are so low, they're sure to cause a disturbance in the force!
You'd better hurry, because these deals won't last long!
This is definitely not a trap!

Located on the former site of Alderaan.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

GodlessCommie posted:

They've used that last design already, hate to say.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really hate that stupid, stupid "hold lightsaber the wrong way" stance that every single Force Unleashed picture emphasizes. It looks so stupid and completely impractical. And of course after Force Unleashed came out it got adopted by a bunch of Clone Wars and comics characters also.

I read a while ago that when LucasArts was making the special edition of The Secret of Monkey Island, they were originally going to replace the Loom Guy in the Scumm Bar with Starkiller and have him shill Force Unleashed, but decided to keep Loom Guy in at the last second. In retrospect I'm surprised that LucasArts had that much self restraint.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chairman Capone posted:

I read a while ago that when LucasArts was making the special edition of The Secret of Monkey Island, they were originally going to replace the Loom Guy in the Scumm Bar with Starkiller and have him shill Force Unleashed, but decided to keep Loom Guy in at the last second. In retrospect I'm surprised that LucasArts had that much self restraint.

Thank gently caress for that. Loom guy is a historic gaming technology treasure.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Chairman Capone posted:

I really hate that stupid, stupid "hold lightsaber the wrong way" stance that every single Force Unleashed picture emphasizes. It looks so stupid and completely impractical. And of course after Force Unleashed came out it got adopted by a bunch of Clone Wars and comics characters also.

Holding it that way predates Force Unleashed though, I remember the chick in Jedi Power Battles held it that way too. Who knows where that trend started. It's only half impractical though, that's a legitimate way to hold a defensive blade. If said blade was a dagger.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I think the first place I saw any blade held in reverse was Segal fighting Tommy Lee-Jones with combat knives on a submarine, which sort of makes sense?

I can honestly think of no situation in which holding a full length sword the wrong way round could be advantageous.

GodlessCommie posted:

Crotch-saber. That's a new one!

Right?

Please?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Epi Lepi posted:

Holding it that way predates Force Unleashed though, I remember the chick in Jedi Power Battles held it that way too. Who knows where that trend started. It's only half impractical though, that's a legitimate way to hold a defensive blade. If said blade was a dagger.

Since the lightsaber is all edge all blade, that's the absolute best way to hold a lightsaber (if you want to lop off your arm at the elbow).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

GodlessCommie posted:

Where is this from? I could've sworn I had seen this art style before.

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot
What bothers me is that it seems like no one has ever sat down and actually thought about how you'd really engage an opponent if you had a lightsaber. It's just a traditional sword that happens to glow as far as everyone's concerned. No considerations for the fact that the weight is all in the handle, that its cutting edge is uniquely 360 degrees, that you can make a cut using zero striking force, or the strange interactions that occur when two blades collide. I get that there was limited time, budget, and vfx back in the 70s. I can forgive the schlockiness inherent in pulling off something like that with those resources. But how does one justify allowing those imperfections to maintain themselves in the continuity, but Jabba's appearance and Greedo's trigger finger and Anakin's ghost can all be changed at will? Why confine yourself to the limitations of 34 years ago in some cases, but arbitrarily break away in others?

Then again, lightsabers were always cooler in my mind than they ever were in practice. I don't think there's a single lightsaber duel that really impressed me - except maybe parts of the one in Ep1...but it was intercut with baby Anakin and Jar Jar so it doesn't count. Consider: the best parts of all the most memorable duels happened between the fighting.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
In that regard I thought the first fight in RoTS was cool because Anakin just used a wrist trick and very little force to take off both of Dooku's hands.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I've got a keen eye for stage fencing which has caused me to watch the duels from the prequels far too much.

The problem with the duels isn't just that they look and feel fake, it's that they are fake to a cartoonish degree.

Maybe one strike in four would connect if not parried. There is next to no proper threat to either combatant through the entire duel. You may not notice, but your brain does [/plinket]

One of the best ways to build stage fight choreography (IMO) is to pace through it one blow at a time, where every motion is either a parry, a dodge or an attack which could end the duel. You can do fancy stuff, and have periods of flourishing and posturing (see EpIV, or V), but the majority of big movements should be truly threatening or the audience will catch on that there is no danger, and get bored with the fight.

Anakin's subtle movement to double-amputate Dooku would have been really impressive if he had pulled it off in a well paced fight sequence, as it is it just comes off like a cutscene 'finisher' to a videogame boss.

The biggest laugh I got through RotS was when Anakin and Obi-Wan started twirling their sabers with no contact for a few seconds. The person who wrote that sequence into the duel was either taking the piss or a loving moron. (I pray for the former).

The true art of the stage fight isn't making the duel as twirly and flashy as possible, it's making the audience feel tension about a fight they already know the outcome of.

For the record, the entire hanger bay sequence in EpII was easily the worst choreographed in the series. They had the man who has done more sword fighting films than any other actor in history and they still hosed it up.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 5, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

What bothers me is that it seems like no one has ever sat down and actually thought about how you'd really engage an opponent if you had a lightsaber. It's just a traditional sword that happens to glow as far as everyone's concerned. No considerations for the fact that the weight is all in the handle, that its cutting edge is uniquely 360 degrees, that you can make a cut using zero striking force, or the strange interactions that occur when two blades collide. I get that there was limited time, budget, and vfx back in the 70s. I can forgive the schlockiness inherent in pulling off something like that with those resources. But how does one justify allowing those imperfections to maintain themselves in the continuity, but Jabba's appearance and Greedo's trigger finger and Anakin's ghost can all be changed at will? Why confine yourself to the limitations of 34 years ago in some cases, but arbitrarily break away in others?

From what I recall there originally was some consideration when filming A New Hope. I remember the reason the lightsaber fight was so slow in that movie was because the actors were told that lightsabers didn't wave weight in the blades but they had a lot of inertia, and they were gyroscopically stabilized so they were hard to turn and maneuver, so it seems like at least at first Lucas or someone set down some unique guidelines with them. Although even by ESB it looks like those considerations were forgotten.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Where is this from? I could've sworn I had seen this art style before.

Looks like M. Norwegian comic strip.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

What bothers me is that it seems like no one has ever sat down and actually thought about how you'd really engage an opponent if you had a lightsaber.

It bothers me that this bothers you. Also, they have.

For instance, I always assumed that the deciding factor in any jedi duel was use of the force to know exactly where to put your blade and body to avoid being killed. You know, like how when Luke is training to use the lightsaber? If both sides in a fight have this ability to feel what the other side is going to do, and to feel that the other side can feel that they feel yadda yadda, then the true battle takes place in the mind, as the infinite possibilities for the fight's future narrow into taught alternatives that eventually tick past in the steps of a deadly half-instinctive dance.
/
:spergin:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Actually if both sides in a lightsaber duel have the ability to sense the other's actions then the logical thing to do is to act randomly which by the way is also the guideline Lucas used for "what to change/leave the same from Original Flavor Trilogy" when making the prequels.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
So what was everyone's favourite book? I'd have to say mine is Starfighters of Adumaar. I can't put my finger on why I love it so much, I just do.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

So what was everyone's favourite book? I'd have to say mine is Starfighters of Adumaar. I can't put my finger on why I love it so much, I just do.

Wes Janson in a cape. A cape that is actually flexible flatscreens showing highlights of his career.

This is why Starfighters of Adumar is everyone's favorite.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Van Dis posted:

Actually if both sides in a lightsaber duel have the ability to sense the other's actions then the logical thing to do is to act randomly which by the way is also the guideline Lucas used for "what to change/leave the same from Original Flavor Trilogy" when making the prequels.

Why would acting randomly be to your advantage? Presumably the training droid-thingy moves and shoots randomly, and it doesn't even have feelings you can sense.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

A Typical Goon posted:

Traitor, from the NJO. I don't think I've ever read something in the EU that actually made me take it serious and reread it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm torn between Wraith Squadron and Vision of the Future. They just pack in so much story which flows so well around such likable characters that they hit me like a really good movie, where I feel I really got my money's worth.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Karma Tornado posted:

Looks like M. Norwegian comic strip.

Confirmed -- it's M. English translations turn up from time to time in the comic strip megathread.

The author is a thorough Star Wars nerd and has done a zillion strips on the theme. For example:

and

There's more. Interested?

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

The Wraith Squadron books here definately - Yub yub, commander!

For serious Star Wars though, the Heir to the Empire trilogy for sure, followed up by the x-wing books, Shatterpoint and the Revenge of the Sith book.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor is my current favorite. Finished it recently and was overall very pleased. The villain was good, kept me guessing a little at what his true plan was, and there were enough twists in it that it kept me pretty engaged. Loved the digs at Karen Traviss near the beginning with the Mandalorians.

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot

Doc Hawkins posted:

It bothers me that this bothers you. Also, they have.
Since they have, then it bothers me as well. Since that means I should clearly be getting paid for this.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bene Elim posted:

The problem with the duels isn't just that they look and feel fake, it's that they are fake to a cartoonish degree.

Maybe one strike in four would connect if not parried. There is next to no proper threat to either combatant through the entire duel. You may not notice, but your brain does [/plinket]

Fellow stage fighter here. This (and everything else you wrote) is pure truth.

Chairman Capone posted:

From what I recall there originally was some consideration when filming A New Hope. I remember the reason the lightsaber fight was so slow in that movie was because the actors were told that lightsabers didn't wave weight in the blades but they had a lot of inertia, and they were gyroscopically stabilized so they were hard to turn and maneuver, so it seems like at least at first Lucas or someone set down some unique guidelines with them. Although even by ESB it looks like those considerations were forgotten.

Not sure about this. In all the interviews talking about the OT that I've seen they just say things like "we decided they should be really heavy and always held in both hands." Probably an excuse for Alec Guiness being old and the lightsaber fights not being a big focus originally. I thought the gyroscope thing was something they made up later to justify the ridiculous prequel twirling.

"No, see, they have to do that to control the blade because GYROSCOPES!" :spergin:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

Traitor, from the NJO. I don't think I've ever read something in the EU that actually made me take it serious and reread it.

I think Traitor is probably my second favourite, and definitly my favourite 'serious' book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The Thrawn trilogy is absolutely my favorite, for really feeling like the original trilogy at its best, and with little to no 'baggage' that later books had to cart around to fit in with the universe.

Least favorite is The Crystal Star, for feeling nothing at all like anything else in the setting and failing to stow its baggage correctly.