Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
Just made the only screensaver I can see myself having:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there any downside to having only one screensaver image? As far as I can tell it doesn't change between images except when you wake it, if you leave it asleep for a day or two the image stays the same, right? Or am I just imagining things?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Is there any downside to having only one screensaver image? As far as I can tell it doesn't change between images except when you wake it, if you leave it asleep for a day or two the image stays the same, right? Or am I just imagining things?

That's correct, at least it is for my nook. Not sure about Kindle. If there was a problem with having a static image held, then I'm sure the developers would have it cycle through the images. The screen savers are just there for your own enjoyment, as far as I can tell.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
Screensavers are just "Hey, the screen keeps a picture when it's off, we might as well have it have something cool!"

You can have the same one every time if you want. (and yes, it stays the same until you wake the device)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's something interesting.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1383903/PaperPhone-The-smartphone-paper-shape-pocket.html

Its a prototype for a smartphone that uses a flexible paper like E-INK display. I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody make an E-reader out of this technology, though I'm honestly not sure I'd be sold. I like the solid sleek feel of my current Kindle, but it would be interesting to see what Amazon would do if they get ahold of this technolgy.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

quote:

Most impressively, the PaperPhone uses no power when nobody is interacting with it.
That's some phone, it doesn't even need to connect to its network and keep the connection going so that it can receive calls :hurr:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
People use their phones to call people? :wth:

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Had some fun with the Nook today:

1. Bought a book.
2. Tried to download book.
3. ERROR ERROR ERROR CALL SUPPORT
4. Call support.
5. My credit card was declined, because I got a new cc number after the PSN Hack. This information was not in the error message on the nook.
6. Now she offers to guide me through updating the credit card.
7. Why Not?
8. Unregister the nook.
9. Update the cc online.
10. Register the nook, which means using its lovely UI to type in my login info again.
11. Then the nook is even more unresponsive than normal for a while.
12. Book downloaded!

I am unimpressed with the Nook, it's LCD is an unresponsive gimmick, and the software sucks in many other ways. I'd guess I have to reclick about 25% of clicks on the lcd, even when the button flashes to recognize the click. All this because we refused to buy a Kindle because it didn't support ePub. And now we are locked in, since we can't transfer books from the nook to a kindle. (Is the Kindle actually any better?) Once I'm actually reading a book, I like it pretty well, though the next page buttons could be better.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
I never had those problems with my nook, sorry to hear that :(

If you still can, I guess you can get it refunded and get a sony (assuming you aren't sour on them after the credit card hack), they also support epub.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

modig posted:

Had some fun with the Nook today:

1. Bought a book.
2. Tried to download book.
3. ERROR ERROR ERROR CALL SUPPORT
4. Call support.
5. My credit card was declined, because I got a new cc number after the PSN Hack. This information was not in the error message on the nook.
6. Now she offers to guide me through updating the credit card.
7. Why Not?
8. Unregister the nook.
9. Update the cc online.
10. Register the nook, which means using its lovely UI to type in my login info again.
11. Then the nook is even more unresponsive than normal for a while.
12. Book downloaded!

I am unimpressed with the Nook, it's LCD is an unresponsive gimmick, and the software sucks in many other ways. I'd guess I have to reclick about 25% of clicks on the lcd, even when the button flashes to recognize the click. All this because we refused to buy a Kindle because it didn't support ePub. And now we are locked in, since we can't transfer books from the nook to a kindle. (Is the Kindle actually any better?) Once I'm actually reading a book, I like it pretty well, though the next page buttons could be better.

The kindle is stellar, and Calibre can easily convert epub to Mobi for the kindle. I've never had any responsiveness, other-file, or purchasing issues with my kindle and I've been loving with the thing nonstop since I got it the other day. If anything won't convert, there are Calibre plugins to make it work. Hell, I bet there's one to turn a JPG into ascii art or something and load it in.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Calibre is poo poo though for library management. Is there anything better?

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

GreenBuckanneer posted:

http://alfaebooks.com/ looks nice - haven't tried it but plan on it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It kind of reminds me of iTunes in the way that you don't know what the gently caress it's actually doing to your files. It's definitely capable but using it is a bit of a chore.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It takes a bit of getting used to, but Calibre does a pretty good job of making a library.

You can sort by Title, Date, or Series (personally I use date unless I am digging for a book), but gently caress if I understand how it creates the folders or what sstrange wizardry it uses for using book title instead of an author sometimes.

Beats the hell outta the sony software though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish it was like itunes, because it copies poo poo to the library, but if you have a duplicate file of say like 20k leagues, then what it does is it copies the same file instead of moving it. You now have 2 of them.

Yeah sounds great.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

modig posted:

And now we are locked in, since we can't transfer books from the nook to a kindle. (Is the Kindle actually any better?)

Having used both, yes, it really is a lot better. I hate the Nook's interface and I really like the Kindle's. If you did get a Kindle, it would take all of 5 minutes to strip the DRM and use Calibre to convert your books to mobi files. epub and mobi are meaningless since they're so easy to convert between.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
What is the process for putting new wallpapers on a sony reader? I'm tired of the palm tree. Also what image sizes should I be looking for?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Does anyone have any info on when Library of America e-books will be released? All I've been able to find are these two blog posts from months ago, one saying that there would be January releases, but I can't find any info on their web site. I love their collections and I really want them on my nook :(

http://blog.loa.org/2011/02/forthcoming-from-library-of-america.html

http://evanstonpubliclibrary.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/library-of-america-ebooks/

modig
Aug 20, 2002

dont eat a carb posted:

The kindle is stellar, and Calibre can easily convert epub to Mobi for the kindle. I've never had any responsiveness, other-file, or purchasing issues with my kindle and I've been loving with the thing nonstop since I got it the other day. If anything won't convert, there are Calibre plugins to make it work. Hell, I bet there's one to turn a JPG into ascii art or something and load it in.

I'm not actually as upset with the Nook as I sounded. It usually does fine, though not great. I'll definitely look into this if we think about replacing it or getting a 2nd reader. As far as I can tell Calibre won't strip DRM, so I probably can't move purchases over without finding some borderline :filez:.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish it was like itunes, because it copies poo poo to the library, but if you have a duplicate file of say like 20k leagues, then what it does is it copies the same file instead of moving it. You now have 2 of them.

Yeah sounds great.

Select the version of 20k with all the good metadata and the nice cover art.

Now control-click on the not-as-nice version.

Now press 'm' to merge the second one into the first. This will also tidy the folders and everything.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

modig posted:

As far as I can tell Calibre won't strip DRM, so I probably can't move purchases over without finding some borderline :filez:.

It will if you download the DRM cleaning plugins. You set them up the one time in Calibre, then add the files and it just goes automatically, it's great.

I'm not really sure if that's Ok to link to here, though..?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

It will if you download the DRM cleaning plugins. You set them up the one time in Calibre, then add the files and it just goes automatically, it's great.

I'm not really sure if that's Ok to link to here, though..?

Well it's nice to know we aren't totally locked in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

modig posted:

I am unimpressed with the Nook, it's LCD is an unresponsive gimmick

It really is. Someone was having trouble with one and asked me to help and holy crap the touchscreen bit of the nook was the worst touchscreen I've ever used.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah sounds great.

It's kind of dumb yeah, but ebooks are like a few hundred kilobytes at most so what's the big deal?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Select the version of 20k with all the good metadata and the nice cover art.

Now control-click on the not-as-nice version.

Now press 'm' to merge the second one into the first. This will also tidy the folders and everything.

So how do you do this for multiple files? or is this on a per book basis?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So how do you do this for multiple files? or is this on a per book basis?

"m" merges whatever you selected into a single entry, so it's per book title really.

e: there's more you can do under the merge menu, but I haven't really messed with it a ton. There might be something more sophisticated, I'll play with it tomorrow.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

dont eat a carb posted:

http://alfaebooks.com/ looks nice - haven't tried it but plan on it.
Looks like it cant update metadata for .mobi files though.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Quad posted:

What is the process for putting new wallpapers on a sony reader? I'm tired of the palm tree. Also what image sizes should I be looking for?

It's very easy, just copy images to the images folder on the data drive. Then go into pictures under applications, hit the options button and chose new standby screen. As far as I can tell, there are no real size limits on the images, just make sure they're portrait.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

Looks like it cant update metadata for .mobi files though.

As far as I know .mobi files don't have that capacity at all, so it's a limitation of the format not of calibre.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Hah, I'm not really upset about this because it's not a big deal (and printing errors occur in real books all the time), but I'm reading book 3 of the Malazan series on my new Kindle and there are some weird formatting screw ups (like inconsistent italics at times) and the name of one area in the world got mistakenly changed to Mom instead of Morn in a couple of instances, lol

It's slightly aggravating because it's like, I paid for the reader and the book and I'm getting formatting errors that someone should have proofread through and made sure didn't exist, but on the other hand, it's not like it's ruining the book or actually making it hard to read.

Just slightly surprised there is apparently no proofreading for books converted to electronic format

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Levitate posted:

Just slightly surprised there is apparently no proofreading for books converted to electronic format

It really varies a lot. Some of the publishers do a good job, some of the books are simple enough that even lazy pub work doesn't show up and some of the books are just a hash of shittyness.

It's pretty frustrating. I imagine 5 years from now it will be totally different and errors like that will be pretty much nonexistent. I hope.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah it's just poo poo that having one person do a quick read through would catch, I dunno.

Can something like Calibre actually let you edit the text in an ebook and fix minor stuff like that?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Levitate posted:

Yeah it's just poo poo that having one person do a quick read through would catch, I dunno.

Can something like Calibre actually let you edit the text in an ebook and fix minor stuff like that?
Calibre can't do it in-app, but it can send it to Sigil (or you can just use Sigil) which will crack it open in a text-editor-type window.

If it's just one error over and over Sigil will work a treat, but if it's a different thing each time it won't take you long to see why the publishers were too lazy to do it. It gets to be a pain in the rear end pretty quick.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Levitate posted:

Hah, I'm not really upset about this because it's not a big deal (and printing errors occur in real books all the time), but I'm reading book 3 of the Malazan series on my new Kindle and there are some weird formatting screw ups (like inconsistent italics at times) and the name of one area in the world got mistakenly changed to Mom instead of Morn in a couple of instances, lol

I just read The Wise Man's Fear on my nook, and the typos were numerous and obvious. Lots of times the space between the first two words in the chapter was missing. I don't know how they manage to gently caress it up worse than the print book, but they do.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

It really varies a lot. Some of the publishers do a good job, some of the books are simple enough that even lazy pub work doesn't show up and some of the books are just a hash of shittyness.

It's pretty frustrating. I imagine 5 years from now it will be totally different and errors like that will be pretty much nonexistent. I hope.

The part that really puzzles me about the formating errors, especially knowing that some books are just OCD'ed in, is that doesn't the author submit their work in an electronic format? Seems like that would keep those kinds of errors at bay.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sperg Victorious posted:

The part that really puzzles me about the formating errors, especially knowing that some books are just OCD'ed in, is that doesn't the author submit their work in an electronic format? Seems like that would keep those kinds of errors at bay.

Yeah, but if you use the manuscript as submitted then you are depending on the author to NOT do a whole ton of really easy and-or common stupid things that will wind up making the e-version FUBAR.

The long story short is that doing a Good Job making an ebook out of a manuscript isn't impossible, but it does take through effort and a bit of time, both of which add up to $$, and lots of publishers either don't pay attention or flat out don't want e-books to succeed, so they don't want to spend that extra money when they can get 90+% of the way there with OCR.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I never read Piers Anthoy's Bio of Space Tyrant books until I saw them available in the kindle store last month. They were legible, but filled with bad paragraph breaks, missing dialogue quotations ["], and spelling issues. It was clearly a poo poo job, whoever did the scan.

By the way, don't read these books ever. Its like watching a bad train wreck, you can't look away.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Here's the wallpaper I use for my Sony PRS-650. I didn't make it, don't know who did.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sperg Victorious posted:

I can understand the lazy OCD (although someone should still correct the errors) with older books - I hate it though, but even newer books, were you would expect the text that's to be printed into the physical book edition would be available in a digital form in all its corrected, formatted, error-free glory. But no, even stuff like Brandon Sanderson's "Way of Kings" is still full with errors, incorrect spaces, formatting errors, typos. And it is one of the better books (since they at least included the maps, drawings and headers, even if they are nearly unreadable on the small display). Despite this, publishers still have the audacity to charge doubledigit prices for such eBooks.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 10, 2011

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Big publishers don't want ebooks to succeed, but customers want it, so... :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Finally caved in to buying a kindle yesterday. Looking forward to its arrival!

Has anyone read the Song of Ice and Fire series on the kindle? Back when I was looking at amazon reviews before Christmas people were complaining the first book was full of random mistakes. Is this still the case or have they released flashy new editions to go along with the TV show?

• Locked thread