Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

hairysammoth posted:

I reckon subx is on the money here: my guess would be that any non-awful contemporary P&S would be a very pleasant upgrade from both your current cameras.

If you want to save your money rather than save up for an S95, a 2nd-hand S90 is also terrific (although, being a notably good camera, 2nd hand prices aren't as much of a saving as you might expect). If you were looking for a cheaper P&S that would do the job... I had a go with the Fuji Finepix F80 and really like it. You can get them new from about $160, unbelievably. For the money, it's terrific, and has lots of nice options (e.g. aperture priority) that you often don't get at this price.

There are cameras that specifically try and deal with that small-sensor, graininess thing, but they're more expensive again. Things like the Ricoh GRD3 and Olympus XZ-1 have the same small sensors but fast lenses. The fascinating-but-flawed Sigma DP series have the beautiful and bigger Foveon sensor, but the rest of the hardware struggles to handle it. And of course, the forthcoming Fujifilm X100, which has us all excited exactly because it promises a fast lens and a big APS-C sensor in a relatively small P&S.

These are all a lot more money though; if I were you, I'd save my cash and go for a decent new P&S. A 2nd-hand S90 or an F80 (or similar) would both be great.

Just checking back to say that we will probably end up getting this Fujifilm FinePix. She wants to keep her camera budget under $200, and she is using the current camera she hates more often than she thought. This sounds like it works great, we just gotta get the cash sorted out and then we'll put in the order on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
My sister is having a baby in a few months (I'm going to be an uncle, woo!), and I decided they need a better camera than the one they currently have. I know my way around photography cameras, so picking out a camera that takes good quality photos won't be a problem.

I don't know much about video capabilities of point and shoot cameras and how they match up with todays video cameras.

If they want good quality photographs as well as good quality video, is that possible with recent point and shoot cameras or are they better off getting a video camera for their videos?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I'm trying to find the greatest zoom that I can without breaking concert venue rules. I know the big event center by me just says "no removable lenses and no pro cameras" but I've read that a lot of places also stipulate no lens over two inches. First, does anyone know if that means two inches as the base of the lens when the camera is turned off, or two inches fully zoomed? Second, I'm currently looking at the Nikon 9100 and the L120. The 9100 I could easily get in, but the L120 seems like it just barely be under the two inches. Obviously the L120 would be preferrable if I can work it out.

Anyone have any experience with this/knowledge of it?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Koth posted:

My sister is having a baby in a few months (I'm going to be an uncle, woo!), and I decided they need a better camera than the one they currently have. I know my way around photography cameras, so picking out a camera that takes good quality photos won't be a problem.

I don't know much about video capabilities of point and shoot cameras and how they match up with todays video cameras.

If they want good quality photographs as well as good quality video, is that possible with recent point and shoot cameras or are they better off getting a video camera for their videos?

I think most P&S cameras made recently have 720p video capability. People looking for a camera for the baby aren't looking to make great art. Just to get cute pictures of their kid to put on Facebook or email to the grandparents. I suggest getting something slim enough to fit into a pants pocket, so they can carry it around all the time.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So I'm trying to find the greatest zoom that I can without breaking concert venue rules. I know the big event center by me just says "no removable lenses and no pro cameras" but I've read that a lot of places also stipulate no lens over two inches. First, does anyone know if that means two inches as the base of the lens when the camera is turned off, or two inches fully zoomed? Second, I'm currently looking at the Nikon 9100 and the L120. The 9100 I could easily get in, but the L120 seems like it just barely be under the two inches. Obviously the L120 would be preferrable if I can work it out.

Anyone have any experience with this/knowledge of it?

That looks a lot like a SLR camera, which is probably what their "no pro cameras" mean. Good luck teaching the $6/hr security guard the difference between a high-end bridge camera and a "pro camera".

You could just get a regular DSLR, put a nifty fifty lens on it (it's pretty small), and play dumb. No sir, I don't think the lens comes off, I got it on sale at Best Buy! :)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

That looks a lot like a SLR camera, which is probably what their "no pro cameras" mean. Good luck teaching the $6/hr security guard the difference between a high-end bridge camera and a "pro camera".

You could just get a regular DSLR, put a nifty fifty lens on it (it's pretty small), and play dumb. No sir, I don't think the lens comes off, I got it on sale at Best Buy! :)

Yeah, I've been scouring the Internet and it looks like what I want isn't feasible with current technology. It's either too large, lacks the zoom, or has poor low light performance. Nothing I can find manages to integrate those three things.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Yeah, I've been scouring the Internet and it looks like what I want isn't feasible with current technology. It's either too large, lacks the zoom, or has poor low light performance. Nothing I can find manages to integrate those three things.

Ninja suit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Stick a circular piece of tinfoil on the front of a body cap and walk through security without a lens on it, pretending you have a pancake lens.

Hide a 70-210 in your underwear: down the front if you want to attract the ladies, down the back if you want a clear space left around you.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

spog posted:

Stick a circular piece of tinfoil on the front of a body cap and walk through security without a lens on it, pretending you have a pancake lens.

Hide a 70-210 in your underwear: down the front if you want to attract the ladies, down the back if you want a clear space left around you.

Or just try to get a photo pass :v:

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!

The newish Olympus SZ-30MR doesn't look too threatening, has a 25-600mm equiv zoom, and is meant to be good in low light (though I can't say I've ever tried one personally). The lens is hilariously big once it's, erm, unfurled, but seems nicely innocuous when turned off:

Probe the root.

Work the shaft!

SAY THE NAME!

(This is why I have to have fixed focal length optics; I'm too immature for zoom lenses.)

Does the 2" restriction apply to the maximum length, or the at rest length?

I was going to suggest the novelty option of a Ricoh GXR - nobody knows what the hell they are, so go in with the 28mm lens, and then swap the CCD unit with the 28-300mm body. But I figure 28-300mm won't really cut it, and besides, the zoom unit actually seems significantly slimmer than the wideangle one. Bet you'd be the only person in the joint with a GXR though, so that's fun.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Haggins posted:

Or just try to get a photo pass :v:

:lol:

Even people with the city paper don't get press passes to a lot of the shows at our event center (probably depends on the act, I suppose). I have a friend who works there and I once asked him where the press pit was and he was like "what?" Apparently there's a second floor balcony where press sits but they close a big curtain on it once the show starts so they can't take any pictures.

hairysammoth posted:

The newish Olympus SZ-30MR doesn't look too threatening, has a 25-600mm equiv zoom, and is meant to be good in low light (though I can't say I've ever tried one personally). The lens is hilariously big once it's, erm, unfurled, but seems nicely innocuous when turned off:

Does the 2" restriction apply to the maximum length, or the at rest length?

I'm going to look into this, thanks. And yeah, I really don't know what the lens length refers to, but I'm guessing if it just looks like a standard P&S they're not going to make you turn it on and extend it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My old Panasonic Lumix just poo poo the bed (not bad considering I bought it like 6 years ago) and the wife and I are looking for a new point and shoot to buy, like, today (we have some important stuff coming up this weekend). The S95 is a bit out of our price range, so I would like to know if I can get the following:

-Is sold at a major retailer
-Takes very, very fast photos (one thing she hated about the Panasonic was the good 3 seconds it would take between pressing the button and it taking a photo). Faster, the better here.
-Takes decent to good pictures

If someone could recommend one, I'll buy it today. Super emphasis on the speed in which you press the button and when the picture is actually taken. Double points if you can spaz out and just keep pressing it and it can take like 5 a second or something. Thanks :)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We had a discussion similar to this in a different thread. I don't think you can get a point and shoot that shoots must faster than 1 frame per second. Also, autofocus on P&Ss pretty much always suck. I don't think you'll be able to find anything without the shutter lag outside of a dslr. Sorry to be such a downer, but autofocus speed and frames per second are some of the major reasons people buy dslrs.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The S95 takes just under 2 shots per second, the LX-5 can get up to 10 shots per second: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q42010highendcompactgroup/page2.asp but these are brand new and out of the price range.

Hamburglar posted:

My old Panasonic Lumix just poo poo the bed (not bad considering I bought it like 6 years ago) and the wife and I are looking for a new point and shoot to buy, like, today (we have some important stuff coming up this weekend). The S95 is a bit out of our price range, so I would like to know if I can get the following:

-Is sold at a major retailer
-Takes very, very fast photos (one thing she hated about the Panasonic was the good 3 seconds it would take between pressing the button and it taking a photo). Faster, the better here.
-Takes decent to good pictures

If someone could recommend one, I'll buy it today. Super emphasis on the speed in which you press the button and when the picture is actually taken. Double points if you can spaz out and just keep pressing it and it can take like 5 a second or something. Thanks :)

Have you checked how much are S90's going for in decent condition?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Just tested S90 is 1/s on large jpg and ~.75/s (2 pics every 3 seconds) in RAW (continuous shooting mode and image review off).

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

spf3million posted:

We had a discussion similar to this in a different thread. I don't think you can get a point and shoot that shoots must faster than 1 frame per second. Also, autofocus on P&Ss pretty much always suck. I don't think you'll be able to find anything without the shutter lag outside of a dslr. Sorry to be such a downer, but autofocus speed and frames per second are some of the major reasons people buy dslrs.

Really? I just tested my GRD III, and it can shoot at 2 frames a second even in RAW - and I wasn't aware it was meant to be a class-leader in that regard. It's also got a lower-resolution continuous mode that shoots at 7.5 frames per second. Is that so unusual? I'll admit, I knew I didn't want to buy a slow camera shot-to-shot, but I hadn't thought I'd picked up one of the fastest...

/edit:

Here's a handy, sortable table of shutter lag and frames per second. The Nikon S8000 sounds cheap and promising; it may well be up your alley. And it seems you're right, spf3million - the fastest point & shoot camera on that chart does five shots in 6.17 seconds, and my GRD does it in just over 5 including processing to card. Seems I've got an unusually fast camera! Who knew.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

$400 on eBay, but yeah, I see your point. I always rather assumed that the Ricoh was the technological equivalent of a $300 P&S camera from one of the bigger manufacturers, what with the economies of scale and all. Seems I was being a bit unfair on the poor thing!

And yes, it seems that the S8000 really does focus in under 0.2 seconds. Sounds like it's something of an aberration though; it has some weird "DSLR-like" auto-focus technique, whatever that means. I assumed it meant phase- rather than contrast-based AF, but apparently not. Lord knows how it does it.

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 6, 2011

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
In all fairness, that costs, what $500? I don't claim to be an expert but I doubt that anything $200 or under will be able to go much over 1 fps. Maybe there is something out there but I've never heard of it.

e: ^^^ that's a nice list. I wonder if the "one photo" takes focusing into account. I highly doubt it. <0.2 seconds to focus and take a photo? I would personally be amazed.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 6, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks a lot for the fast replies. I can go for the S95 if I really have to, but if I can save a few bucks I'd love to.

The thing is my friend has an iPhone and I swear I could just keep tapping my thumb as fast as possible and it just keeps taking pics. I understand this is a phone with an operating system and its own processor, but I thought since I had been out of the camera "scene" for quite a long time that speed had made huge leaps. I guess it's not important to most people.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

hairysammoth posted:

And yes, it seems that the S8000 really does focus in under 0.2 seconds. Sounds like it's something of an aberration though; it has some weird "DSLR-like" auto-focus technique, whatever that means. I assumed it mean phase- rather than contrast-based AF, but apparently not. Lord knows how it does it.
That's cool, I'd like to see it in action. Unfortunate that it has a max aperture of f/3.5.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks a lot for the fast replies. I can go for the S95 if I really have to, but if I can save a few bucks I'd love to.

The thing is my friend has an iPhone and I swear I could just keep tapping my thumb as fast as possible and it just keeps taking pics. I understand this is a phone with an operating system and its own processor, but I thought since I had been out of the camera "scene" for quite a long time that speed had made huge leaps. I guess it's not important to most people.

Well, for cheap, I'd say the same as I suggested to Chainclaw: see if you can't get your hands on a Fujifilm F80 and see how it grabs you. (In fact, if you're still around bud, I'd love to know how you're getting on with it - I only had a couple of days with the one I tried.) It comes in as "average" in the speed stakes, but noticeably faster than the Canon S95. And it's now $150, which is silly cheap for what it offers.

spf3million posted:

That's cool, I'd like to see it in action. Unfortunate that it has a max aperture of f/3.5.
Yeah, weird eh? Seems odd to go to all that trouble on the autofocus and then slap a slow-assed lens on it.

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 6, 2011

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hamburglar posted:

Again, I'm just guessing here, but the sensor on the iPhone is really small so there will always be a large depth of field and combined with the lack of an optical zoom, the focus throw is probably tiny (hardly any movement from near focus to infinity focus) so I wouldn't be surprised if it focused quickly. Also there is much less information being transferred from a cell phone sensor than an actual camera sensor.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
drat, the S8000 is not available anywhere near me, same goes for the Fuji camera recommended by hairysammoth. I know the Canon S95 probably takes a great picture but I know my wife, she's gonna hate it if it's one of those deals where she has to hold down the shoot button and wait and hope the exact picture she was trying to take changes (figures she likes taking pictures of crap that moves).

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

hairysammoth posted:

Yeah, weird eh? Seems odd to go to all that trouble on the autofocus and then slap a slow-assed lens on it.

There's only so much you can do with a tiny zoom lens on a cheap P&S.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Also it's worth mentioning that most of the people I know who complain about their slow point and shoots made the mistake of just buying "x gb SD card", and bought a Class 2 or 4 speed card without understanding what a huge difference slow read/write speed makes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Costello Jello posted:

Also it's worth mentioning that most of the people I know who complain about their slow point and shoots made the mistake of just buying "x gb SD card", and bought a Class 2 or 4 speed card without understanding what a huge difference slow read/write speed makes.

Nah I only buy those Ultra Sandisk cards (Ultra 2 I believe, maybe even 3). Still slow as poo poo so I'm assuming it's just because my Panasonic is pretty old.

Edit: She's down with the Canon S95 because it has something called "burst mode" which is supposed to mean it takes pics fast? But now she's asking me if there's a way to "write on the pictures".

:negative:

What she means is she gets annoyed not knowing where any of the pics are from (whose wedding, what part of the world, etc.) and wants to be able to name the files from the camera itself. She must have seen this feature somewhere, but I'd expect that in a $30 Polaroid FunCam(tm) and not this beast.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 6, 2011

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hamburglar posted:

Edit: She's down with the Canon S95 because it has something called "burst mode" which is supposed to mean it takes pics fast?
I don't know what this burst mode is but I'm going to guess that it won't be what she wants. It's a great camera but it will still take a half second or more to focus and it sounds like that's a deal breaker for her. I'd recommend trying one out in a best buy near you to see if it'll cut the mustard before buying.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I am going to go by a store and try a bunch out, but I figured the display models are gonna be all "PLEASE INSERT MEMORY CARD" when I try to see how fast they take pics.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I ended up getting the Canon S95. It takes beautiful pics and the wife was more than happy with the speed in which it took pictures. I guess she somehow expects cameras to take pictures as fast as the old disposable ones; I told her it ain't happening.

Now to figure out how to take nice pics with this thing rather than only use auto all the time.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Hamburglar posted:

I ended up getting the Canon S95. It takes beautiful pics and the wife was more than happy with the speed in which it took pictures. I guess she somehow expects cameras to take pictures as fast as the old disposable ones; I told her it ain't happening.

Now to figure out how to take nice pics with this thing rather than only use auto all the time.

you will NOT be disappointed ;) enjoy your amazing point and shoot... I just recommend shooting raw all the time if you plan on doing any correction in Lightroom or PS.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MMD3 posted:

you will NOT be disappointed ;) enjoy your amazing point and shoot... I just recommend shooting raw all the time if you plan on doing any correction in Lightroom or PS.

Thanks! I look forward to using it more and learning the ins and outs :)

scorntic
Jul 6, 2006
Are there any decent nikon point and shoots out there? I have a dslr, but I really want a point in shoot for times that I dont carry my camera case around...something I can just stash in my purse or something.

I was looking at the nikon coolpix S3100. since I have an expensive camera I'm not really looking into anything for over $200 bucks really.

I've read very conflicting reviews about this camera, so what are your inputs?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

scorntic posted:

Are there any decent nikon point and shoots out there? I have a dslr, but I really want a point in shoot for times that I dont carry my camera case around...something I can just stash in my purse or something.

I was looking at the nikon coolpix S3100. since I have an expensive camera I'm not really looking into anything for over $200 bucks really.

Why does it have to be a Nikon?

scorntic
Jul 6, 2006

Haggins posted:

Why does it have to be a Nikon?

I've only shot with nikon cameras, thats basically the only reason. The only other brand of camera I'd probably ever get is canon.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

scorntic posted:

I've only shot with nikon cameras, thats basically the only reason. The only other brand of camera I'd probably ever get is canon.

If this is concern for relearning a new interface, be aware that because point-and-shoots are so far from DSLRs in terms of handling that it won't even matter. The S90 has a fantastic interface compared to every point-and-shoot I've ever held, too, so that helps. And I've only ever used Nikon DSLRs (and FSLRs, too)

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

scorntic posted:

I'd understand that of SLRs, but the Nikon/Canon axis doesn't really exist in the Point & Shoot world. Nikon, in particular, have struggled to create truly memorable, great P&S cameras. There are exceptions, sure; but the difference is that a lot of different P&S brands share the same parts from 3rd party manufacturers. The sensors, in particular, are usually made by Sony - regardless of what brand P&S you buy. If I recall correctly, Canon do make some of their own CCDs, but Nikon don't.

That's not to say you shouldn't get a Nikon, it's just that the Nikon and Canon that make SLRs are quite different from the Nikon and Canon that make point and shoots...

If this is nothing to do with SLR cameras though, then ignore all that and go nuts! But seriously, Nikon doesn't have anything in the same league as the S90/S95 at the moment.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

scorntic posted:

I stick with canon for my point and shoots and nikon for my dslr. I went with canon for point and shoots going on 11 years now. The button layout and menus are similar for each one I bought so its easy to know where my controls are at. Started with a SD100 then SD780 now S95. I couldn't be happier with the S95 its small enough to put in my pocket and I can finally set it up in manual when I wanted and shoot raw. I have never been disappointed in any of my canons so far either so personally I would suggest checking out canon myself. And that SD100 still works, but the original battery is not holding a charge for very long anymore.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

scorntic posted:

nikon coolpix S3100

I'm thinking of getting one of these as well. Whats the best macro shots I can get out of a P&S thats $150ish? I'm wanting clear, full frame photos with a decent FOD of objects about the size of a penny.

The Nikon coolpix 950 can do this: http://www.dpreview.com/news/9905/99050701macro950.asp

Is there another model that can really get up close?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hamburglar posted:

Yeah I am going to go by a store and try a bunch out, but I figured the display models are gonna be all "PLEASE INSERT MEMORY CARD" when I try to see how fast they take pics.

I usually take a memory card with me when I go check out cameras for this exact reason. I usually know what brands I'm gonna look at and if not I bring an SD/xD/Sony charge-more-for-our-own-brand-memory stick pro.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

moss piglet posted:

The Nikon coolpix 950 can do this: http://www.dpreview.com/news/9905/99050701macro950.asp

Is there another model that can really get up close?

I don't know about picture comparison, but dpreview.com lists the closest focus the camera can achieve in macro mode for all the models. It says the Nikon 950 has a 2 cm macro focus, which is indeed less than most. Most seem to be about 5 cm, with some being 3 cm or even 10 cm. My Mom's Nikon S4000 can also achieve 2 cm.

So I'd just look on dpreview.com for cameras that interest you and look up their macro range.

edit: The s3100 would apparently be a poor choice for you because it has a 10 cm minimum macro focus range, and it also lacks image stabilization, unlike the S4000, according to dpreview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
my Canon S5 IS had a "super macro" mode which could focus from 0cm.

Problem was you were locked to the widest focal length, so it wasn't really all that close up, plus shadows from the big travel zoom were hard to deal with.

• Locked thread