Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Some Sanderlings (I think). My first birding attempt, taken with my Sigma 70-300mm APO.

Sanderlings by The original David L, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

My parent's bird feeder is popular. Crossposted from SAD.

Gold Finch by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Downy Woodpecker by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Some Sanderlings (I think). My first birding attempt, taken with my Sigma 70-300mm APO.

Sanderlings by The original David L, on Flickr

Looks like Western Sandpipers. Nice shot! I wonder if you could play with the highlights/shaddows a bit to see more of the face of the one on the left, and lower the highlights on its belly.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
I found a swan:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Looks like Western Sandpipers. Nice shot! I wonder if you could play with the highlights/shaddows a bit to see more of the face of the one on the left, and lower the highlights on its belly.

Thanks! I just looked them up on my copy of Peterson's and it seems you're right. Re-tagged. :)

Good suggestions on the shadows and highlights. I played around and brought out a bit more detail in this shot. I just noticed the two bugs in this picture too.

Western Sandpipers by The original David L, on Flickr

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Some more shots from today. I'm really loving my Tamron 70-300 APO, very sharp!

Canada Goose by The original David L, on Flickr

American Coot by The original David L, on Flickr

Tree Swallows by The original David L, on Flickr

Anna's Hummingbird by The original David L, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Had a close encounter with a meadowlark this morning. Unfortunately only had my bridge camera and no tripod, it was still almost dark, and it was windy. Still probably my best meadowlark photos, although I think I like ones of the birds singing more even if they were from much farther away.

(These are uncropped)

No flash- +2 stops in post

with on-camera flash

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Finally got a 70-200/2.8 IS, and it's everything I'd hoped it would be...except 280mm. Or maybe 400mm. I knew within an hour of getting it that my next purchase will have to be a teleconverter, probably a 1.4. I wish I had just a little bit more reach.

Where's the bird, you ask? Top of the photo, center-right. I was already hanging my rear end out over the water to get this angle, I couldn't do any better without getting wet or scaring them both away. I never did get a good shot with both of them in the same picture, he stayed behind that bush and didn't come out until the beaver left.

But when he did come out, it was pretty cool. I live a block away from a park with a good number of herons (and a lot of beavers too, I'm noticing), it should be a pretty cool summer.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The problem with teleconverters and L-glass is that L-glass is so loving good that putting a TC on it brings it down enough that it's a bummer. That and AF slows down too so forget about tracking fast-moving birds.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been hearing Sage Sparrows everywhere, but have only seen them a handful of times this year, and typically just zipping through or perched on a too-distant bush. Finally had some luck this morning though. These are cropped pretty heavily but are definitely my best pics of this guy to date.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

HPL posted:

The problem with teleconverters and L-glass is that L-glass is so loving good that putting a TC on it brings it down enough that it's a bummer. That and AF slows down too so forget about tracking fast-moving birds.
Yeah, the more I read the more I keep seeing that. Lensrentals.com has a pretty good page titled Teleconverters 101, where they say that basically for every benefit you get there are 3 drawbacks. Great for fast, L-quality prime telephotos, but their benefits drop off pretty sharply after that. You can rent one for about $50 a week, if I ever really get the itch to buy one I'll definitely do that first, if I can't find one to borrow.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

Heard some birds out back yesterday and took a peek. Seen one digging in the ground for who knows what. There was dog poo scattered around by and I didn't know till post. The top pic the bird was just standing there posing looking right at me for a bit. AF would not lock on him so I had to use manual and was lucky to get that pic.

DSC_1215.jpg by JCleasy, on Flickr

DSC_1159.jpg by JCleasy, on Flickr

Tasty treats ahead! by JCleasy, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I parked my bike one day and this guy literally fell out of the sky next to my bike. I pulled out my camera while it was standing up and got a couple of pictures, this being the best.

Shot on a 450D with a 50mm 1.8.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

American Coot by The original David L, on Flickr

Cleaned up my original picture a bit.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I was on the lookout for interesting birds on my recent trip to Hawaii, but this is the only one I got a decent shot of.

Aloof by Kiri koli, on Flickr

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Every spring, great blue herons come to roost along the James River here in downtown Richmond, VA. According to a guy I met yesterday, if you get there around 6:30am you can really get some good shots, but drat...6:30 in the morning. Haven't done that in a long time. They're normally pretty fidgety when you get close but this guy was really cooperative.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
^ Those are great shots.

A little backstory. I was quite into birds when I was growing up. One of my favorite birds was the Wood Duck, but in 20 years of looking for one during my many travels I had never seen one. Until recently I was under the impression I'd have to go to the midwest to see one, but last year a local photographer posted a photo of one that they'd taken on the Olympic Peninsula, which is only a couple hours drive or ferry ride from where I am. I made it my goal to at least see, and hopefully photograph, one this year, but figured I'd have to do a bit of traveling to make it happen. Imagine my shock when my dad texts me the other day to say that they were walking around a trail near a retaining pond a short distance from their house and saw what looked to be a mating pair of them. I'd been looking all my life for these, seemingly, rare birds and here were a couple living less than five miles from where I grew up. Safe to say I stopped by with my camera last night:

Wood Ducks by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Male Wood Duck by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Female Wood Duck by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Male Wood Duck 2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

They must call them Wood Ducks because they like to put as much wood in between you and your lens as possible.

Also saw these:

Gadwall by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Canadian Goose W/ Baby by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 17, 2011

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Western Kingbird from an interstate rest area.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Western Kingbird from an interstate rest area.

That is really nice. Really nice.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I probably would have cropped it tighter but I wanted to get some blue sky in it. I got some closer shots but they only had cloud in the background.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
We have been hearing some loud pecking lately. We finally caught the culprit! It's been a rainy day and I could not get close enough. The picture is a bit blurry but I am happy I caught him. Can someone tell me what kind of woodpecker this is?I am sure there some knowledgeable goon in here.

Northern Flicker woodpecker by J-YG, on Flickr

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 16, 2011

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

That's a Northern Flicker.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Thank you sir! edited on the picture.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Started using my d7000 and tamaron 18-270mm f35-6.3. I can't wait to actually go to a park. Apparently my lens creeps out birds too.
cardinal*

daspope fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 17, 2011

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

daspope posted:

Robin

I have some bad news for you.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

I have some bad news for you.

Maybe the cardinal's name is Robin.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

What's the other one though? Young red-tail?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
brown thrasher, but let's keep the more imaginative answers coming...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

quote:

tamaron
caradinal

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Few that I already threw up in Critterquest, but I'm reasonably pleased with from this season.

Brown Thrasher with a Cicada Nymph

thrashercicada by RReiheld, on Flickr

Redwing Blackbirds are pretty much easy-mode, they ain't afraid of poo poo, so you can walk within 10' of them.

redwing by RReiheld, on Flickr

Downy(?) woodpecker out in the out, rather than at a suet feeder.

downey by RReiheld, on Flickr

Havn't managed to get anything really close of the Orioles or Indigo Buntings that are in the swamp park, but I remain optimistic.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^really nice, Slo-tek

Shot through my kitchen window... (pacific-slope flycatcher)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I haven't been in this thread for a while and I see I missed out on some great shots. I haven't been able to do much shooting as my 7D broke, but these are a couple I did manage to get before it got fried:

Despite these robins being everywhere, this is the best I've gotten of one so far (heavy crop):

Apparently these house finches are a giant problem spreading disease to other birds, but they're at least a bit more colourful than the boring sparrows that usually come to my feeder.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Sunny day in St. James's park london spotting some wildfowl, I already posted 1 in SAD, hope that is ok.

P5214206 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

P5214233 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

P5214263 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

P5214279 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

They weren't too energetic and it was a beautiful bright sunny day so that helped.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

Went to the coast today.

Underbelly of the Poop Bomber by JCleasy, on Flickr

Put a bird on it. by JCleasy, on Flickr

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Wanted to try my new lens (70-300L) but it was windy as gently caress so not too many chances for photos. However:

IMG_0972 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

It focuses fast and is pretty drat sharp :)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I think I cheated because I was at the zoo, but I was excited to finally get some bird shots. (Do peacocks count?)

Whooping Crane by bernsai, on Flickr

Noisy Peacock by bernsai, on Flickr

Peacock by bernsai, on Flickr

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Big Floppy posted:

Went to the coast today.

Underbelly of the Poop Bomber by JCleasy, on Flickr

Put a bird on it. by JCleasy, on Flickr

:roflolmao: nice picture title!

TomR