Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Amandyke posted:

AQ sucks, just PM jamal he might be able to get you something.

:rimshot:

Is there a particular company that's good for aftermarket rads? I'm going to replace the one in the 02' wagon before I dare hook up the new motor (when assembled).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
koyos are great and pretty cheap. online they go for under $400. Oh by the way I shipped a package to Canada yesterday.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is there a common power steering line failure on WRXes? While I was under mine yesterday, I noticed that mine has been pissing a little bit of fluid onto the front subframe from around the return hose area, and I'm willing to chalk it up to hose clamps or extreme temperature changes since the reservoir is still at the "full" line.

Hopefully it's not seals or anything, I don't put the steering at the limits for more than maybe 1-2 seconds at most while parking occasionally, and the car is always in motion before I attempt to turn the wheel. I can't speak for the previous owners, I guess, but if I just noticed it now it's probably due to whatever I did.

edit: moving it while I was under the car didn't appear to leak any more fluid, so it might just be a hose sweating.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 5, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Anyone know the torque specs for the caliper mounting bolts and brake pad bracket mounting bolts for an '08 legacy wagon 2.5i?

Doing the brakes on my parents wagon tomorrow, and I haven't been able to find the spec...

Anyone? I found the service manual for an '05 2.5i, so I'll probably just use those specs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

off the top of my head it's something like 50lb-ft for the brackets and ~20 for the calipers.

rod bolts, case bolts, head bolts, and wheels are about the only thing I actually use a torque wrench for. for most everything else german spec works.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Who here has installed an aftermarket headunit in their Subaru and forgot to wire the powered antenna connection because "Hey, this car doesn't have a power antenna so I don't need to bother with it!" Only to discover it actually powers the antenna signal booster therefore you have no radio reception till you take everything apart again to rewire it. :doh:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

oh look an engine ready to be put together:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So clean, I'm afraid to use it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Gotta break it in first. :(

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

So with those nice shiny new pistons in a freshly honed block, what turbo you upgrading to?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

we have rotated kits in stock and Garrett just released their billet GTX wheels...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^
Shut up, I'm poor enough now ;)

Amandyke posted:

So with those nice shiny new pistons in a freshly honed block, what turbo you upgrading to?
None. Partially because I was to stay ESP legal (now that I have a front diff, I might be able to win locally. . . someday), partially because of CARB, and partially because I just blew a poo poo ton of cash.

GETCHA PAPER UP
Apr 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to look at a 2009 WRX tomorrow. Base model, 5000 miles. I know there's a rod bearing issue on some 09s, but haven't been able to find a clear VIN range for it. Anything else specific I should look for outside of regular wear/signs of aftermarket parts?

Also 5k seems almost like a suspiciously low amount of miles for an 09. Haven't received the carfax yet to tell if it is rebuilt or something. Hoping it was just someone's weekend toy and they decided to get rid of it.

List price is $23,980. I'm thinking $22,000 is a good price. Any thoughts?

e: link: http://bit.ly/l2CzQd

GETCHA PAPER UP fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 6, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jamal posted:

off the top of my head it's something like 50lb-ft for the brackets and ~20 for the calipers.

rod bolts, case bolts, head bolts, and wheels are about the only thing I actually use a torque wrench for. for most everything else german spec works.

Thanks! This actually matches the 05 service manual, so its exactly what I did. :)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

GETCHA PAPER UP posted:

I'm going to look at a 2009 WRX tomorrow. Base model, 5000 miles. I know there's a rod bearing issue on some 09s, but haven't been able to find a clear VIN range for it. Anything else specific I should look for outside of regular wear/signs of aftermarket parts?

Also 5k seems almost like a suspiciously low amount of miles for an 09. Haven't received the carfax yet to tell if it is rebuilt or something. Hoping it was just someone's weekend toy and they decided to get rid of it.

List price is $23,980. I'm thinking $22,000 is a good price. Any thoughts?

e: link: http://bit.ly/l2CzQd

You can get a brand new 2011 for not too much more than that...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amandyke posted:

You can get a brand new 2011 for not too much more than that...

Yeah, invoice on a base WRX is just a hair over $24k and if you aren't paying invoice for them, you are paying too much.

GETCHA PAPER UP
Apr 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Awesome. I'll use that for bargaining. And if I can't get this real cheap then I'll just buy a new one.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

the 2011 is a lot better looking and comes with wider wheels and tires. for 23-24 you could get an STi though. Depends what you plan to do with the car, but if you intend to make more horsepower or ever go to a track day you'll be better off with the sti.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

the 2011 is a lot better looking and comes with wider wheels and tires. for 23-24 you could get an STi though. Depends what you plan to do with the car, but if you intend to make more horsepower or ever go to a track day you'll be better off with the sti.

Isn't power kind of moot now that the wrx is getting that vf series turbo? Dyno's I've seen of stage 1 and stage 2 sti's and wrx's have them both being roughly the same. Obviously of course there are other more compelling reasons to get the sti, 6 speed being one of them.

Worm?
Sep 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, invoice on a base WRX is just a hair over $24k and if you aren't paying invoice for them, you are paying too much.

From the factory or what? I dont see hardly any new 2011s in inventory.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Worm? posted:

From the factory or what? I dont see hardly any new 2011s in inventory.

Yeah, they are selling as fast as they get them in. I ordered mine. It took about 8 weeks but I got exactly what i wanted for $100 over invoice.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, they are selling as fast as they get them in. I ordered mine. It took about 8 weeks but I got exactly what i wanted for $100 over invoice.

Really unless you need to have a car right this second, you'll get exactly what you want (probably for cheaper) if you just order it. The dealer get's a confirmed sale without the extra overhead of having to store the vehicle until it sells or pay for transport/swap one of theirs with another local dealer. It's a win/win and you'll know that there wasn't some young kid trying to learn stick while out on his dad's test drive with your new car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It just took me 4 dealers before I found one that was really interested in both dealing and ordering.

Most of the ones I talked with said "we don't have them, don't know when we are getting them in."

Seriously, at first things were such a pain in the rear end. I emailed out a bunch of dealers told them exactly what I wanted down to the option codes. I made them aware I knew the MSRP for that was 'x' and the invoice for that was 'y'. I told them I wasn't adverse to waiting and I was in no rush. I simply asked for their 'z' price.

The responses I got? They varied from none at all, to "you should call us so we can work out your vehicle needs", to "we don't have any in inventory and aren't sure when we are getting them." Finally, I saw one pop up in online inventory and inquired about it, they immediately spit back a quote. Then later, I got a non-automated email apologizing and telling me it was already sold, but they would do this price on an order if I wanted.

I sent that price off to one final dealer I hadn't talked with yet. They immediately shot back with "we'll do $100 over invoice on anything you want, we can order it today if you want." I was so happy to find someone that seemed to actually understand the point of internet sales (not to mention they gave me a price that was in-line with the lower bound of national pricing) that I took care of everything that day.

I was so close to writing a long letter to this other sales person at another dealership explaining in detail why they lost the sale. She was the very first one I contacted and completely and utterly failed to do anything other than "I would really rather you call me!" Sorry, I don't have time for chatty face to face talks with sales people when I already know exactly what I want. Give me a price and we'll deal. Dance around the issue and I'll buy from somewhere else. Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

:words:

I just find that baffling. When I bought my 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD back in 2006 (shut up I know) I basically walked into the closest dealer said I want it in this color, with these options, and I want to order it. They said OK, how's $100 under invoice sound?

How can so many subaru dealer's be so terrible? Perhaps I'm giving zeroing in on Subaru dealer's too much, likely it's just that there are so many dealer's in general that are terrible. ugh

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Amandyke posted:

I just find that baffling. When I bought my 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD back in 2006 (shut up I know) I basically walked into the closest dealer said I want it in this color, with these options, and I want to order it. They said OK, how's $100 under invoice sound?

How can so many subaru dealer's be so terrible? Perhaps I'm giving zeroing in on Subaru dealer's too much, likely it's just that there are so many dealer's in general that are terrible. ugh

My wife is the office manager for the local Subaru dealer. Due to what's happening in Japan, it's becoming very difficult to get inventory to sell. They are being resupplied with 60% of the new cars that they sell. (if they sell 100, they get 60 new car in)

She's thinking it's only going to get worse until the end of the summer.

daslog fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 6, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I have read on NASIOC (yeah yeah) that dealers are unable to order any more 11 WRXes due to the earthquake and will simply stop selling them until the 2012 is available.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

sanchez posted:

I have read on NASIOC (yeah yeah) that dealers are unable to order any more 11 WRXes due to the earthquake and will simply stop selling them until the 2012 is available.

I doubt that's true. I'm still getting overnight parts from japan as usual.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of, is there a better source for Subaru part numbers than opposed forces? I want to get a part number for some part of the headlight wiring harness but I can't find it on opposed forces or SGP.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

if you can't find it between opposed forces and subarupartsforyou, you need to ask the dealer, or find the dealer software.

what specific part of the wiring are you looking for?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'll check Subaru Parts For You and then if all else fails I'll give them a ring. I just hate talking to the dealers without having a part number in hand.

I'm looking for the wiring and socket for the headlight bulb itself that fits into the headlight bucket and goes into the rest of the headlight wiring harness (removing HID ballast, relay adaptor and bulbs and returning to stock). SGP just has the STI part listed.

GETCHA PAPER UP
Apr 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Went and checked out that 09. It was good, but dealer wouldn't go below 23k so I just walked out the door. Placing calls with 5-6 different dealers right now to see who is willing to work with me on a new one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

Isn't power kind of moot now that the wrx is getting that vf series turbo? Dyno's I've seen of stage 1 and stage 2 sti's and wrx's have them both being roughly the same. Obviously of course there are other more compelling reasons to get the sti, 6 speed being one of them.
Also, diffs! If you're doing track days and AXes, having a front LSD and center/rear LSDs not filled with goo can be a good thing.
It should be noted that I'm blowing $1200 on a front diff at the moment. Part only. If I hadn't broken my 5-speed and my engine :emo: the labor would likely be another grand. And that isn't including the rear-diff I might do some day.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

Also, diffs! If you're doing track days and AXes, having a front LSD and center/rear LSDs not filled with goo can be a good thing.
It should be noted that I'm blowing $1200 on a front diff at the moment. Part only. If I hadn't broken my 5-speed and my engine :emo: the labor would likely be another grand. And that isn't including the rear-diff I might do some day.

edit: way too many differential changes to keep track of. diff's at front center and rear etc.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 6, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

STIs do NOT have a torsen center differential. They have a planetary gear differential with electronically controlled clutchpacks for lockup.

The STIs center differential has remained relatively the same though all its years in the US. I believe the only real change is that they added a yaw sensor at one point (I'm not 100% sure on that one.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 6, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

edit: way too many differential changes to keep track of. diff's at front center and rear etc.
Change them all!
(On 5 speeds, except maybe the center. I'm not sure there are good options for a non-rally, non-drag strip car that drives on the street).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Front and rear diffs could be problematic on an 08+ WRX due to the inclusion of VDC. I'm not sure how they would cross interact. Presumably you would have VDC off during a performance event and could then use the diffs to the full potential, but I'm not sure how things would work out when VDC is enabled.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Front and rear diffs could be problematic on an 08+ WRX due to the inclusion of VDC. I'm not sure how they would cross interact. Presumably you would have VDC off during a performance event and could then use the diffs to the full potential, but I'm not sure how things would work out when VDC is enabled.
Huuum, I have no idea. More reasons to buy an STI.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

If the explanation at cars101.com of the VDT/VDC system is correct it would seem that having LSD diff's on the 08+ wouldn't have an effect on the VDT/VDC system at all as it's based on wheel speed differences, vehicle yaw, and steering input.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru_terms.html#VTD

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I still couldn't justify an STI for a daily driver, try as I could. The advantages of just going regular WRX overcame all the extra toys. The fact that I can cross use wheels between my '11 and '02 is a HUGE net gain for me. Then you have the fact that the STI's tune just seems way more fragile than the regular WRX.

Amandyke posted:

If the explanation at cars101.com of the VDT/VDC system is correct it would seem that having LSD diff's on the 08+ wouldn't have an effect on the VDT/VDC system at all as it's based on wheel speed differences, vehicle yaw, and steering input.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru_terms.html#VTD

Right, but most diffs and all ESP systems are reactive in nature. It really comes down to which one reacts quicker and which one has the higher lower tolerances.

If your diff reacts in half a wheel rotation while VDC allows two wheel rotations before it intervenes, then the diff is going to be resolving traction issues before VDC kicks in. However, if VDC is too aggressive, it may clamp down on wheel spin before a diff has a chance to react.

Also, different differentials can produce different results. Torsen differential react very favorably to having the faster rotating wheel braked since they are based on torque multiplication. However, if you braked one half of a VC diff, you may not generate enough difference in wheel speed to effectively transfer much power.

All that said, I do believe VDC is non-intrusive enough to have it not matter much. However, ideally you would want your ESP programming tuned to the types and strength of diffs in a car.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

$350 is a good deal for a set of stock 17" WRX OEM wheels with only some minor rash on 1 wheel, right?