Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You really should have used some dark rum. Woods Navy would probably have been a good one, nice dark colour, 57% ABV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot it was called a Pelican Shooter (I'll edit that into the title). Anyway, I was promised Double Bonus Points so I expect I'll probably get them. :v:

e. also, it turns out cats love leftover sardines!

Well, I wasn't intending for anyone to actually try that and I have no actual prizes prepared. :psyduck:

Give me a bit to think about it (or suggest something reasonable); because that deserves some sort of reward.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think the players in this scenario needs an advantage, they are getting pummeled out there. If its ok to suggest something id like to suggest that he can place a few carbombs on the map and decide when to detonate them. Or something similar.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Affi posted:

I think the players in this scenario needs an advantage, they are getting pummeled out there. If its ok to suggest something id like to suggest that he can place a few carbombs on the map and decide when to detonate them. Or something similar.

Considering the deed for which the reward will be given, I find this delightfully topical!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, I wasn't intending for anyone to actually try that and I have no actual prizes prepared. :psyduck:

Give me a bit to think about it (or suggest something reasonable); because that deserves some sort of reward.

Mech named after him! Mech named after him!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Has anyone here ever been to a BattleTech Center?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not to a Center but I did play around in a fairly nice arcade that had 4 of the pods set up. Neat but way too expensive to play for very long.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

I'm on the wrong side of the country to visit one of those.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tarquinn posted:

Hell yes. Back when the Wizards Of The Coast Game Center was still open in Seattle, I spent many hours in their pods. poo poo was awesome.

The location is now being occupied by two clothing stores and a Mexican restaurant, and that makes me sad. :(

It looks like their pods got bought by another joint somewhat near by, though. I should check that out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leperflesh posted:

OK that didn't work. I tried another match but no dice.

Yep. You need something about a minimum of 100 proof to burn at all, and upwards of that (the 151) to burn well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or you can heat it. The vapour goes really well.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jeremiah loving Rose

This. How did this. How the gently caress did this get published!? And get a sequel!? Was the editor doing lines of coke while reading the draft? Maybe the author too? Who the hell thought any of this was a good idea?

You know what the worst part is? PTN will probably make alternate reality him awesome, and we'll kill him anyway because our reality's Rose is such a humungous douchebag.

New contest idea: In five hundred words or less, write a short story in which Jeremiah loving Rose gets killed in a horrible/appropriate/hilarious fashion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KnightLight posted:

From the Warhawk wiki article:

"While unable to fire all of the ER PPCs at once it could use a volley fire strategy to manage its heat."

Noob question: What's the point of putting more weapons on a Mech if it can't fire them all? I can understand "can't fire all its weapons without serious heat buildup" but not begin unable to fire them all, period. Isn't there a better use of weight than putting redundant weapons on a 'Mech?
Arcs of Fire. The Warhawk can *always* get at least two PPCs on a target.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 11)

Chapter 11
Solaris City, Solaris
8 August 3054

Days elapsed since book start: 108
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 2
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 1 (Rose took a nap)
Protagonists introduced since book start: 4
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: 1 (Warwick is now a genuine antagonist)
Antagonists defeated since book start: 0
Chapters Spent on Northwind: 5

Is everyone ready to watch Jeremiah Rose be rewarded for his constant dickishness? I hope so, because that’s precisely what’s going to happen. We join Mr. Carstairs, Jaryl and Badicus’ boss. He’s ranting at Rose because he knows that Rose just beat up one of his fighters leaving him down a man before the final match.

Because there’s no oversight on Solaris, that means he either has to fight a man down, find a replacement for his dead alternate pilot (Jaryl), or forfeit and lose his ‘Mechs and money. Fortunately, Jeremiah Rose just happens to be checked out on Badicus’ Shadow Hawk. Carstairs, of course, calls ‘bullshit’. He then rants for two paragraphs and sits down.

Main Event posted:

[Rose] paused for just an instant to allow the nearly berserk owner to fall back into his desk chair. For most people this would have signaled the end of the confrontation, but for this main, it seemed more like a willingness to take a few rounds instead of dishing it out.

Oh, good, I’m glad he has enough moral fiber to rant but not really care whether his people get beaten up and replaced by strangers just before a match.

So Jeremiah gives a six-paragraph speech, which I will spare you from reading. It’s chock full of his impatience, the personal indignities that Rose has suffered on his quest for a Battlemech, and mentions that he got his entire command killed by Clan Wolf. Oh, and during the speech, Rose admits to beating up O’Shea and then congratulates himself for doing it before Elaine could kill him and Badicus.

Twitch twitch.

Rose then gives Mister Carstairs a choice: Let Rose buy a spot on the team and fight for no pay in exchange for battlefield salvage; or have Esmeralda (future Black Thorn #4) throw him out. It’s not an especially hard choice, which is why it’s a huge surprise that Carstairs makes Jeremiah a job offer on the spot.

Carstairs then makes Rose buy Badicus’ Shadow Hawk so that no matter what happens with it Carstairs won’t lose money; Rose loses salvage rights to the fight; and Rose loses his share of the purse for the victory. Since he’s already agreed to fight for no pay (and since he seems to have robbed an armored car and seems to have an unlimited amount of money to throw around) this is perfect for Jeremiah anyway.

Carstairs then demands to hear how Jeremiah Rose lost his command to the Wolves if he survives the match; because he’s personally convinced that Rose is either ComStar or Clan and either way he wants to hear the story.

Then the scene transitions without letting us know whether Jeremiah accepted this (far worse) deal (he did).

In any other chapter in this book, this break would be a new chapter. Instead, in a stunning lack of consistency, it’s simply a break here. Mechanically, that makes me a little upset: this book already has 33 chapters, so a 34th wouldn’t have hurt and the chapter break makes for a better cliffhanger.

Instead, any sort of dramatic tension is immediately thwarted because we learn that Rose accepted Carstairs’ offer. Rose eyes his new lancemates with caution and suspicion (and they do the same in return). Esmeralda, the lance leader (and future Black Thorn) declares herself in charge and demands to know if Jeremiah has any problems with that.

His response ( “Message received and understood, sir!” ) strikes me as stupid but not sarcastic, so Esmeralda takes it at face value. We then learn that the arena is a piece of poo poo filled with shacks and mostly open space. Rose asks how she knows that, and Esmeralda tells him to go gently caress himself.

We then learn that the oddsmakers say Rose will be the first one to die; and that Rose has placed a bet of indeterminate size on himself. Most of the rest of the lance has bet against Rose’s survival, and have pretty much decided that he’s on his own (good for them).

Esmeralda (also dies in the sequel) then pulls Rose aside.

Main Event posted:

“I’ll get to the point. I don’t know you and you don’t know me. That means we’ve got a problem. Despite what O’Shea says, Warwick’s goons are very good. I need to know, right now, just how good you really are. Look me in the eye and answer one question—how good are you?”

Rose leaned forward, his nose almost touching Esmeralda’s.

“I’m the best there is.”

“Great,” she said. “So, now I’ve got another Kai Allard. Well, I hope that’s good enough.”

No, clearly Rose is Wolverine. He was channeling G.I. Joe before when he Batman’d O’Shea; so why not Wolverine while he’s at it?

Esmeralda then wanders off, and Rose checks out his ‘Mech. He has a soft spot for the (useless) Shadow Hawk, and exposits that it was the first ‘Mech he ever piloted and that his grandfather taught him. He then wonders why he can’t remember his grandfather’s face anymore, but promptly forgets to be concerned about it because Shadow Hawk.

I would like to point out that Rose now owns the Shadow Hawk free and clear; and could just say “gently caress it,” take the ‘Mech and run.

He doesn’t, because the author needs to establish that he’s actually a capable ‘Mechwarrior. In game terms, Jeremiah is actually a p2g1; but he’ll only ever show about a quarter of that talent.

Rose then thinks about Rianna for a brief instant, then climbs into his ‘Mech. Rose is actually using a LosTech Star League era coolant suit; which covers his whole body and is small and highly flexible; and a lightweight neurohelmet. We learn that the coolant suit and the neurohelmet are priceless relics that were passed down from warrior to warrior among the ComGuards (and should probably have gotten Rose in serious trouble since he absconded with them); and Rose actually has a spare priceless thousand-year-old coolant suit and… gently caress you, Jeremiah Rose.

Rose then admits that he stole both the Neurohelmet and the Coolant Suit, and then the chapter ends.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Can we have a scenario where the players kill Jeremiah Rose in a hilariously brutal fashion? Perhaps by stepping on him somehow?

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Can we have a scenario where the players kill Jeremiah Rose in a hilariously brutal fashion? Perhaps by stepping on him somehow?

Or perhaps a flashback scenario of his command getting crushed by Clan Wolf (played by goons). Since we're in PTN's alternate timeline, who says Rose has to survive?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Leperflesh that was amazing.

Oh hey Foo! How's it going!

goatface posted:

You really should have used some dark rum. Woods Navy would probably have been a good one, nice dark colour, 57% ABV.

OK, I'll look out for that. Honestly I don't know my rums very well (I'm a whisk(e)y man) but I like rum just fine so I don't mind trying something out.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't fret too much about it PN. Being the center of attention for two minutes is its own reward.

Affi posted:

carbombs

:v: marvelous

SynthOrange posted:

Mech named after him! Mech named after him!

Hah! But, that would be weird though, given that my username is stolen from Warhammer.

ulmont posted:

Yep. You need something about a minimum of 100 proof to burn at all, and upwards of that (the 151) to burn well.

Aaah, okay. Did not know that. I did consider warming the drink, but I decided heating the fish would be a mistake.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rose then admits that he stole both the Neurohelmet and the Coolant Suit, and then the chapter ends.

Uhhhhhh... and WHY is not ComStar gunning after this dumbass for stealing their poo poo, considering their zeal?

Don't they have the most extensive spy network in the entire Inner Sphere, with fingers in every pie? :psyduck:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

paragon1 posted:

Unfortunately, because it is currently 3032 instead of 3050, Jeremiah Rose is probably not much more than two years either side of the womb yet.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Helter Skelter posted:

Hell yes. Back when the Wizards Of The Coast Game Center was still open in Seattle, I spent many hours in their pods. poo poo was awesome.

The location is now being occupied by two clothing stores and a Mexican restaurant, and that makes me sad. :(

It looks like their pods got bought by another joint somewhat near by, though. I should check that out.

You might consider The Airlock in Kent. A buddy of mine has been hanging out there pretty regularly since crazy engineer man opened the place and has nothing but good things to say about it. They put some of his photos on their site and it looks pretty slick.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Unfortunately, because it is currently 3032 instead of 3050, Jeremiah Rose is probably not much more than two years either side of the womb yet.

Then we can go after the Northwind Highlanders. They are a neat unit, but to avoid the career of Jeremiah Rose... acceptable casualties must be part of every mission's calculus.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

Then we can go after the Northwind Highlanders. They are a neat unit, but to avoid the career of Jeremiah Rose... acceptable casualties must be part of every mission's calculus.

The Northwind Highlanders work for the Capellan Confederation right? Should Colonel Comacho decide to go on a spree of vengeance the Highlanders could be a bonus objective...

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That didn't stop us from coming up with fifty scenarios to off Adam Steiner in the last scenario...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That's no reason to let him live.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Here's a few suggestions:

1. Replace one IS Mech in the next scenario with a Royal battlemech of his choice, or one Clan Mech with any valid design.

2. Fast-track the deployment of a prototype weapon (a la the 3039-era experimental weapons) to frontline units. Prototype ballistic weapons jam on 2s (or 3s if they're Ultras), while prototype energy weapons generate an additional +1d6 heat. Prototype Endosteel/FF take up an additional, IIRC, 2 or 4 crit slots, and prototype DHS cannot be mounted in the engine.

3. If the next scenario involves fighting the Clans, add in a ComStar "observer" team in Nighthawk XXI or Tornado armor using a man-portable TAG and an off-board Arrow IV loaded with homing ammo.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Could just go with one of the old reliable options. A vote of his choice can be worth ____ votes, or let him name a (couple) clan mechs. His feat does deserve some reward though.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

PoptartsNinja posted:

Let’s Read: Main Event (part 11)

I now see that my last post required many, many, more :downs: smilies. I mean, my god this guy makes Corran Horn, Kai Allard-Laio, and both Black Widows look like well thought-out, fully developed and ballenced characters.

Also, Leperflesh sounds like the nickname of a mech with faulty armor mounting brackets. The plates just fall off.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Waiting on TerrorStorm.

Leperflesh, for the unholy act of drinking a fish, I hearby reward you with a choice:

A) Your next vote counts for 3 votes
B) You can name two as-yet unnamed clan 'Mechs (no promises they'll turn up in the next scenario)
C) Mystery Box

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 7, 2011

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
TAKE THE BOX.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mystery Choice is a trap. Naming clan mechs omnimechs makes you eternal.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Door #3! Door #3! (It could be a washer and dryer, or a poorly built catamaran!)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
take the Mystery Box, it sounds mysterious.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

If you do not take the mystery box, you will be regarded as a coward. A COWARD. Fear ye the unknown, lad?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

The Mystery Box is obviously a copy of Main Event delivered right to your house. Do you really want that? Better to be seen as a coward than a person with Main Event.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

KnoxZone posted:

The Mystery Box is obviously a copy of Main Event delivered right to your house. Do you really want that? Better to be seen as a coward than a person with Main Event.

It's a box set of Main Event, the other book with that insufferable jackass, and Far Country, done in the most beautiful caligraphy you have ever seen, and bound in supple chocolate leather.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

Mystery Choice is a trap. Naming clan mechs omnimechs makes you eternal.

Eternal in the sense you have a good chance of getting atomized right after doing so :smith:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

elitebuster posted:

It's a box set of Main Event, the other book with that insufferable jackass, and Far Country, done in the most beautiful caligraphy you have ever seen, and bound in supple chocolate leather.

Or more suitably, rich Corinthian leather. Salvaged from a 1975 Chrysler Cordoba.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Don't be a surat. Take the box.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 12)

Chapter 12
Solaris City, Solaris
8 August 3054

Days elapsed since book start: 108
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 2
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 1 (Rose took a nap)
Protagonists introduced since book start: 5
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: 1
Antagonists defeated since book start: 0
Chapters Spent on Northwind: 5

This fight begins right as the duel is starting. Rose and friends are piloting a Stinger, Hunchback, Jeremiah’s Shadow Hawk, and Esmeralda’s Warhammer (guess which of our new friends is going to die!); while Warwick has sent a Javelin, Hatchetman, Centurion, and the Charger he was going to give rose; giving Warwick a ten-ton weight advantage.

Oh, and for this duel, nobody is allowed to use any weapons. It’s Steiner-rules fisticuffs; only more retarded because Carstairs actually agreed to this idiocy. You can also understand why Warwick wouldn’t really care to keep the Charger afterwards; this is a gimmick fight and Warwick stood to make a fortune betting on Rose to win (a dark horse is always worth bank).

Oh, and just to make everything even more retarded, everyone has a full load of ammunition.

Esmeralda immediately earns Jeremiah’s respect by volunteering to duel the Charger one-on-one in what may be attempted suicide.

The Javelin and Hatchetman then move in on Rose, who should’ve attempted to kite them around the battlefield and let his team gang up on the Centurion and Charger. Instead, he just stands there like a moron and lets the Javelin get within punching range.

Main Event posted:

The Javelin began to smash down on the Shadow Hawk’s head with both arms in an attempt to finish Rose with a single raining of blows to the cockpit.

What?

How does that even…

Rose takes the hit on the arm, dodges, then kicks the Javelin in the knee; shattering its leg. The Javelin falls over and Rose tries to punch it (not possible to punch a prone opponent, dumbass); and then has to dodge the Hatchetman.

Anyway, Rose is doing a good job keeping both the Javelin and the Hatchetman out of the fight when the Stinger shows up and rams the Javelin. Rose then kicks the hatchetman in the leg, and takes a cockpit hit for his trouble… and thus you see the problem with the Hatchetman. At 45 tons, the hatchet only does 9 damage; so no critical hits sustained.

Oh, and remember Rose has been fighting with two needler wounds this whole time; which have just reopened. It’s a good thing he’s plot-invulnerable or he’d have died of blood loss days ago. The Hatchetman then takes another couple of swings and eats a Stinger to the back for being too single-minded.

The Hatchetman then takes the Stinger apart; so Rose punches it in the back (because Rose does best when he’s bushwhacking something). We then learn that Esmeralda has killed the Charger with a gyro-hit, and the Hunchback has body-slammed the Centurion and the two are just sorta laying pinned inside a building. The centurion gives up when it realizes the fight is a 3 vs 1 which should help you understand why Warwick didn’t want to count on his pilots.

Rose smugs about not getting any of his lance mates killed this time; and vows payback on the Clans. :psyduck:

Then the chapter ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

elitebuster posted:

Did none of you learn from Wheel of Fish? I could have sworn it was brought up in this very thread even.

Take option 1 or 2, Leperflesh. Don't be stupid.

• Locked thread