Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

A Typical Goon posted:

So what was everyone's favourite book? I'd have to say mine is Starfighters of Adumaar. I can't put my finger on why I love it so much, I just do.

I'm at Isard's Revenge at the moment, and I'm looking forward to Starfighters so much. I need more Wes Janson in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
This is from a few pages back, but...

Chairman Capone posted:

In the script of ANH, I believe the Death Star conference room scene originally had Vader intimidating the Imperial officers by using the Force to levitate a coffee cup and drink from it, but Lucas had to abandon it because he couldn't film it (also, how exactly would Vader drink coffee?)

I know this sounds like I'm joking but I'm not.

...you're really not.

From Marvel Star Wars #1, July 1977:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Dave Syndrome posted:

I'm always amused by how suicidally overconfident that guy is.

"I totally disagree with this cyborg killing machine death cultist who acts as the Emperor's personal enforcer and leaves mounds of corpses in his wake (including people on his side who annoy him). I should definately tell him to go piss up a rope"

Seriously dude, just take his criticism and write him a strongly-worded memo to him later on asking him not to browbeat you in front of your colleagues.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Cleaner of Imperial High Command Deadwood is one of his lesser known official titles did you not know?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The lighthoolahoop is the newest weapon in the Jedi/Sith arsenal...

:stare:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alien T&A and impractible lightsabers the future of the franchise people.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
The thing that annoys me the most about the LightHulaHoop is that it's still somehow more practical than the loving whip.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
If the whip could be made to work it seems like a legitimately dangerous weapon when used in group combat. 1v1 it would be a disaster.

This hula saber, though - completely useless for anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Azzmo posted:

What about illuminating interior spaces?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Azzmo posted:

If the whip could be made to work it seems like a legitimately dangerous weapon when used in group combat. 1v1 it would be a disaster.

There is no situation where the whip wouldn't be a loving death wish. You ever tried to use a whip? You gently caress yourself up with it more often than you actually hit what you're aiming at. You only get Cowboy/Indiana Jones good at it after a decade of pitting your own flesh.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Please please tell me this is just a cross over for soul caliber.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Congratulations, Extended Universe! A new low stupid weaponry!

At very least a whip (however difficult to use) has obvious applications in combat. I can honestly think of no way to wield that ... thing... effectively in combat with conventional lightsabers, or blasters.

It's only use would be as a never-ending hula-hoop (thanks to the gyro effect) for rich kids who hate their siblings.

That all being said, I admire the spirit of coming up with new ideas for Jedi weaponry. They just need to remember that some things aren't done for a reason.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has anyone tried a light saber gun?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Aren't there any other traditional Jedi weapons? Has there ever been a Jedi who just went "gently caress this close combat poo poo, I'm getting a blaster"?

e. the weirdest thing about that picture are the handles on the hoop. I really don't see how it's meant to be used.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 6, 2011

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Aren't there any other traditional Jedi weapons? Has there ever been a Jedi who just went "gently caress this close combat poo poo, I'm getting a blaster"?
Not technically Jedi, and in fact the Jedi order actually looked down on them, but yes, there have been.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I actually have the first Coruscant Nights lying around here somewhere, is it worth a read?

v v Sweet, I'll put it on my reading pile :)

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 6, 2011

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

I actually have the first Coruscant Nights lying around here somewhere, is it worth a read?

Yeah. Hell yeah. That's a really good book that I always forget to recommend to people.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Kyle loving Katarn was much more known for his blaster than his saber. Also, there was that one time he punched Krayt dragons to death with his bare loving hands.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Would steering some idiotic goon into your blaster fire consist of a dark side power or not?

Trick question, do not answer this!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Crowetron posted:

Kyle loving Katarn was much more known for his blaster than his saber. Also, there was that one time he punched Krayt dragons to death with his bare loving hands.

That part of the game made me feel 100x more badass than anything Force Unleashed ever did.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Would steering some idiotic goon into your blaster fire consist of a dark side power or not?

Trick question, do not answer this!
The better question is: Why is it that killing effectively defenseless mooks, when you're powerful enough to avoid or non-fatally disable them, not considered the Dark Side?

Seriously, the Jedi just rip their way through a bunch of pathetic stormtroopers or gangsters or Sith lackeys every twenty minutes, but the Jedi code is okay with that? What the hell, man?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

The better question is: Why is it that killing effectively defenseless mooks, when you're powerful enough to avoid or non-fatally disable them, not considered the Dark Side?

Seriously, the Jedi just rip their way through a bunch of pathetic stormtroopers or gangsters or Sith lackeys every twenty minutes, but the Jedi code is okay with that? What the hell, man?

Clearly the real Jedi code is this: Swords are cool guys.

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot
Wasn't there some quote from Lucas where he basically said that any use of the Force at all puts you onto a path to the dark side?

yronic heroism posted:

"No, see, they have to do that to control the blade because GYROSCOPES!" :spergin:

It would actually be a pretty cool experiment to see how a blade made of gyroscopes would actually handle. Attach them together in a row until you've got something about a meter long, turn it on, and see how long you can hold it before it goes flying wildly out of your hands

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Obi-Wan killed General Grievous with a blaster.
Thus exhausts my supply of answers to any loving question asked in this thread.

Here's a question.
What happens if one drops a lightsaber on the ground, point-down?

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

My Exile in KOTOR 2 used nothing but blaster weapons. Sith Lords? Pfff, just whip out my Mandalorian Rippers and no problem.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Flavor Bear posted:

Here's a question.

EU to the rescue! Lightsabers turn off when the person holding them let's go. However, there is also a switch you can push to keep it locked on so you can throw it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

A Typical Goon posted:

EU to the rescue! Lightsabers turn off when the person holding them let's go. However, there is also a switch you can push to keep it locked on so you can throw it.

That's stupid. I always thought that it was because you used the force hold the dead man's switch down.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
The next EU superweapon should be a gigantic ball of lightsabers with blades outwards.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ninja_Orca posted:

My Exile in KOTOR 2 used nothing but blaster weapons. Sith Lords? Pfff, just whip out my Mandalorian Rippers and no problem.

In both KOTOR games regardless of whether I was lightside or not, I would just pour all my points into force lightning until I could unleash a gigantic Force Storm that would incinerate any attacker.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Flavor Bear posted:

Here's a question.

http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicken/jedi-butter-fingers.html

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Ninja_Orca posted:

Punching Atris and Sion to death was incredibly satisfying.

I was a consular with next to no innate strength as well. Sweet mercy that game is broken.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So where is the light hulahoop from? Is that actually official art?

It's actually hard to tell what's supposed to be taken seriously and what's a parody in Star Wars any more...

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

ZeeToo posted:

So where is the light hulahoop from? Is that actually official art?

It's actually hard to tell what's supposed to be taken seriously and what's a parody in Star Wars any more...

I pulled it from a friend's album on Facebook. I'll ask where he got it. Probably just fan-art.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

LLJKSiLk posted:

I pulled it from a friend's album on Facebook. I'll ask where he got it. Probably just fan-art.

It is fan-art:http://chewyli.deviantart.com/art/Sith-Tira-196735215. It's a sith version of Tira from Soul Calibur.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I was wondering if anybody has .gif from Episode 3 where Obi-Wan and Anakin kind of just swing their lightsabers around without coming close to hitting or actually attacking each other?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

LLJKSiLk posted:

I need proof that this is actually from Star Wars.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

^^ Now that's smart.

What does it say about the rest of us that we all thought it had to be true...

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot
What does it say about the state of Star Wars that we all thought it had to be true

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Canopus250 posted:

So I was wondering if anybody has .gif from Episode 3 where Obi-Wan and Anakin kind of just swing their lightsabers around without coming close to hitting or actually attacking each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Watch this while listening to "All the Wine" by The National. It's like a sad music video piece showcasing one of the last gently caress yous from George Lucas to the fans.