Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

I'm sure I'll still listen to every episode, but try as I might, I can't get behind the name "Comedy Bang Bang." I vote Mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

substitute posted:

They seemed to be agreeing that just changing lyrics to dirty words is funny on its on, and not a bit hacky. Gervais seemed baffled and I was surprised as well.
It's just childish humor. It's stuff you laugh at before you're able to logically process things or understand irony. Sometimes poo poo is just funny.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Cromulent posted:

It's just childish humor. It's stuff you laugh at before you're able to logically process things or understand irony. Sometimes poo poo is just funny.

This is the exact reason why Larry the Cable Guy was (still is?) so enormously popular for a time. Brain-stupid fart jokes are pretty funny sometimes.

Those videos were great, although I agree that Gervais and Seinfeld are mediocre stand-ups at best. Not that they aren't funny people, but there is a reason why everyone's hack-y comedian impression always starts out with "So what's the deal with x?"

Vainglory
Apr 15, 2010

Goonies Never Eat Pie

Mogambo posted:

Those videos were great, although I agree that Gervais and Seinfeld are mediocre stand-ups at best. Not that they aren't funny people, but there is a reason why everyone's hack-y comedian impression always starts out with "So what's the deal with x?"

I'd posit that every hacky comedian was trying to be Jerry Seinfeld.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Gervais gave an interview to Front Row in which he said that he didn't like doing gigs in small rooms or on weekends because then he's more likely to be heckled which he is unable to deal with.

widunder
May 2, 2002

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

In 2011 it might be easy to say that Seinfeld's a lovely stand up, but you have to admit that he's sort of the proto-stand up of the modern era of comedy. The stereotype of what a stand up is, largely, is based on him. Brick wall, blazer, "what's the deal with...", etc. He's not a bazillionaire for not being funny. (Tim Allen is, however)

I'm only two-thirds of the way through, but the thing I keep seeing is that Gervais keeps trying to deconstruct everything, while the other three just snk ay, "What are you talking about? That poo poo is just funny!" I wonder if that's a Gervais thing or a British thing. But admittedly I myself sometimes think about "Now, exactly WHY is that funny?" when sometimes I should just let it go and realize that funny isn't something you can contemplate too much.

Still, I can't help but think about comedy in an intellectual sense. And that may be to my detriment.
Well, I dunno. I don't think Seinfeld's a bad comedian, just a bad standup. His show was loving brilliant (obviously, he's the least funny thing about the show), but I've always thought his standup (back from the 80s and 90s at least) just is lame.

E: Moreover, as much as I like Gervais (especially his radio show and podcast series), I've always felt that he's more intelligent and clever than outright funny (to me, Stephen Merchant is the funnier and wittier of the two).

widunder fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 6, 2011

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Mr. Squishy posted:

Gervais gave an interview to Front Row in which he said that he didn't like doing gigs in small rooms or on weekends because then he's more likely to be heckled which he is unable to deal with.

Good lord, how does he do comedy this long and is unable to handle heckling? That kinda makes his whole golden globes thing even sadder doesn't it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

shotgunbadger posted:

Good lord, how does he do comedy this long and is unable to handle heckling?

He only started doing stand up after The Office, Extras, and the movies.

widunder
May 2, 2002

t3ch3 posted:

Yeah, it's a bit weird, he didn't really have to work his way up through the clubs to bigger venues because of his fame.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

t3ch3 posted:

Oh, well ok then, still weird that someone in entertainment can't handle that stuff.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

shotgunbadger posted:

Oh, well ok then, still weird that someone in entertainment can't handle that stuff.

Maybe he just meant he can't take control of the show and shut up the heckler as well as someone like Louis CK would, not that he can't handle it emotionally.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

shotgunbadger posted:

Not really. No other art form expects you to deal with rude assholes who interrupt the show. If you heckled an actor during a play, that actor would feel really weird, probably try to ignore it, and you'd get kicked out.

Gervais didn't come up doing standup, so he woukdn't have that muscle.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I stand by my theory that the entire Talking Funny special is more just an excuse for Gervais to get personal validation from people he respects, than explore the inner workings of comedy. Doesn't make it worse, but I think that says a hell of a lot about his rise to fame, and the isolation that brings with it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Maarak posted:

I stand by my theory that the entire Talking Funny special is more just an excuse for Gervais to get personal validation from people he respects, than explore the inner workings of comedy. Doesn't make it worse, but I think that says a hell of a lot about his rise to fame, and the isolation that brings with it.

I kinda agree with this in that Gervais seemed to be aggressively seeking approval from everyone (his overacted laughing drove me crazy), but I also liked that he was trying to dive into the inner workings of comedy, and get three legends of comedy talking about those things, more than just talk about the first bit you knew would work or why you do/don't curse (these were both interesting topics as well, just less cerebral). He brought up some pretty cool points so for me he served his purpose. I would prefer to watch CK and Chris Rock talk about doing the Chris Rock Show for a couple hours, but this was fun to watch.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Honestly despite my Gervais hate, I enjoyed that show very much actually, basically for everything caveman said. Gervais came off desperate, but at the very least he had the dignity to wrap it up in an honestly good probing of 'inner workings' of major comedians and all.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Gervais actually laughs like that for real. Has no one watched The Office extras, or seen him crack up during an interview?

It's been a while since I've seen his stand-up specials (Animals and the other one) but Gervaus seems to do more of a humorous one-man show, instead of typical stand-up. He has long build-ups and a more story oriented act, so I could understand him not wanted to deal with a rowdy audience that ruins his momentum.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

substitute posted:

Gervais actually laughs like that for real. Has no one watched The Office extras, or seen him crack up during an interview?

Eh, I guess you're right but it seemed like he was cracking the gently caress up at poo poo that was only moderately humorous (he got out of his chair and literally knee-slapped himself* while everyone else kinda chuckled). There was some weird editing in there so I'm willing to chalk some of it up to that, even though I pretty much just made it up to give him an out 'cause I like the guy, but some of it was over the top. That's really the only thing that rubbed me the wrong way though.

*And ~what's the deal with~ all the unnecessary touching on Seinfeld's behalf? Hands to yourself Jerry!

\/\/\/ speaking of weird editing :whatup:

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 7, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Eh, I guess you're right but it seemed like he was cracking the gently caress up at poo poo that was only moderately humorous. There was some weird editing in there so I'm willing to chalk some of it up to that, even though I pretty much just made it up to give him an out 'cause I like the guy, but some of it was over the top. That's really the only thing that rubbed me the wrong way though.

No, there is no chuckle for him. He always laughs like he's just heard the funniest loving thing ever. I still like the guy, though.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Also all this talk about Gervais got me thinking about Jimmy Carr, who I think is twice as funny as Ricky. Does he do any podcasting (this is still the podcasting thread, and I use parenthesis way too much but I love them so eat a dick yall)

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Ricky talks too much. I wanted to hear more from Chris and Louis :(

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
While we're on the subject of Talking Funny, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK were on Opie and Anthony to promote it recently. Also sitting in were Jim Norton, Jay Mohr, and Ron Bennington. It was a great segment, kind of like a mini Talking Funny. You can find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shmp3y7PVyw

After their appearance, Jay Mohr called in on a later show and trashes Louis and Gervais (complete with spot-on impressions), saying they froze out the others like a bunch of freshmen eating with seniors in a high school lunch room. Calls them out on ballwashing each other, ballwashing Jerry Seinfeld, doing the same poo poo to Chris Rock during the special. it's one of the first times that I've heard someone really go after Louie and thought they really had a point. And it's also loving funny in its own right, especially his Gervais laugh, you be the judge of whether or not you think Jay sounds jealous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxYDcuYwH6o&t=7m

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Peter North posted:

While we're on the subject of Talking Funny, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK were on Opie and Anthony to promote it recently. Also sitting in were Jim Norton, Jay Mohr, and Ron Bennington. It was a great segment, kind of like a mini Talking Funny. You can find it here:

After their appearance, Jay Mohr called in on a later show and trashes Louis and Gervais (complete with spot-on impressions), saying they froze out the others like a bunch of freshmen eating with seniors in a high school lunch room. Calls them out on ballwashing each other, ballwashing Jerry Seinfeld, doing the same poo poo to Chris Rock during the special. it's one of the first times that I've heard someone really go after Louie and thought they really had a point. And it's also loving funny in its own right, especially his Gervais laugh, you be the judge of whether or not you think Jay sounds jealous:

Jay Mohr is coming off as a big baby here. He doesn't like Seinfelds poo poo so Louis shouldn't either? So Louis should be kissing Jays rear end? What the gently caress was he even complaining about here.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

To be fair Pang does own.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pang still hasn't won yet after all of this time :(

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bro Dad posted:

Pang still hasn't won yet after all of this time :(

And he's gone according to today's DLM.

Someone did bring his name tag though!

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 7, 2011

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Pang should be an alternate in the Tournament of Championships, just a consolation prize (also for being awesome).

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Jay Mohr is coming off as a big baby here. He doesn't like Seinfelds poo poo so Louis shouldn't either? So Louis should be kissing Jays rear end? What the gently caress was he even complaining about here.

Mohr's always been kind of a weird sore spot for me as a comedian. On the one hand he's a prototypical urban upper east coast rear end in a top hat, in that he's got this weird, unjustifiable superiority complex, yet he's so sensitive about any kind of criticism. He acts like anything that isn't a direct compliment to him is nothing short of a direct attempt to destroy him. On the other hand, the guy's got crazy talent, and I can't help but like him in just about any artistic endeavor that he's a part of.

Gervais as a stand-up, to me, is a brilliant performer, but a lackluster writer. I enjoy the way he brings his material to life, but I don't think it's very strong on its own. That one Kevin James Comedy Central special (the title's got something to do with sweatiness) is a great example of this.

I've really not enjoyed the last two CDRs, for whatever that's worth. Two honest to god stinkers in the wake of about three months worth of amazing shows.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I looked at the website for the UCB theater in LA: The weekly live Comedy Death Ray show has also been renamed "Comedy Bang Bang".

So, the most probable reason for the name change is that Scott and BJ Porter don't get along, or something, and that Scott is now going solo.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

-Atom- posted:

To be fair Pang does own.

Doug should seriously make him a guest. Or would that destroy the mystique?

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008

Peter North posted:

"They're like a bunch of school girls"

*goes on to gossip about some stupid poo poo that happened backstage*

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
Isn't it pretty well accepted by now that Jay Mohr is a petulant little rear end in a top hat?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

The_Rob posted:

I will never not laugh at the Josh Fenderman Micheal Jackson dance being used over and over again.

I've shown this sketch to people off and on for at least six years and it's still just as loving funny the first time I see it.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Isn't it pretty well accepted by now that Jay Mohr is a petulant little rear end in a top hat?

Yea I thought everyone knew he was one of those 'great comic, loving terrible dude' types.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

The way I've heard it, he used to be absolutely unbearable, but then changed his life around and is pretty nice now. That might just be his spin, though.

e: I didn't listen to that clip until now, though. Yeah, he is acting like a little bitch there.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 8, 2011

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Majorian posted:

The way I've heard it, he used to be absolutely unbearable, but then changed his life around and is pretty nice now. That might just be his spin, though.

e: I didn't listen to that clip until now, though. Yeah, he is acting like a little bitch there.

From what I heard he went from 'literally always an insufferable cock' to 'only usually an insufferable cock and can behave pretty well in social settings', which, to be fair, is an improvement.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Awesome, new Tompkast is available!:dance:

And with regard to Seinfeld's standup at least, part of the reason why he doesn't seem funny nowadays is because, as someone mentioned, every standup after him tried to emulate him. If you look back at a lot of legendary comedians from past generations, their acts seem pretty passe by today's standards as well.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I just had a thought pop into my head.

I wonder where Jay Johnston has gone to? He'd be a perfect guest on CDR. All the improv he does in the Mr. Show commentary is great.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjmgIMsRUfw

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

substitute posted:

I liked Talking Funny quite a bit even though they all talked over each other -- especially over Rock, who seemed to never get to finish his points.

This is what bothered me the most. They, particularly Gervais, treated Chris Rock like some kind of scrub. They wouldn't let him talk. I like Louis CK a lot, but in this group isn't Rock arguably the biggest draw?

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

NotWearingPants posted:

This is what bothered me the most. They, particularly Gervais, treated Chris Rock like some kind of scrub. They wouldn't let him talk. I like Louis CK a lot, but in this group isn't Rock arguably the biggest draw?

I just got around to watching this and I really didn't notice any of the big complaints I'm reading here.

One thing I found funny was when Louis, Jerry and Chris would talk about old bits and how young comedians are usually hackey Ricky would have absolutely no input or just say something they all found to be wrong.

• Locked thread