Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Well, lowsided the GSX-R today. Riding like a dong in front of one of our local photographers. Best I can figure is that I went for too much lean angle too quickly on a tire that was still fresh/slick on the edges.

Before:

After:

I had on full AGVSport leathers, Joe Rocket gloves, a Scorpion EXO helmet, and Axo armored boots. I escaped without a scratch luckily. The bike lost the left mirror/turn signal and the windscreen. Scrapes on the tail fairing. Frame slider protected the rest. My leathers are scuffed but fine, and none of my other gear appears to have been damaged. My helmet never touched the ground.

TheUltimateCool fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

TheUltimateCool posted:

I went for too much lean angle too quickly on a tire that was still fresh/slick on the edges.

They are supposed to burn most of that off at the shop when you get new tires.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

TheUltimateCool posted:

Well, lowsided the GSX-R today. Riding like a dong in front of one of our local photographers. Best I can figure is that I went for too much lean angle too quickly on a tire that was still fresh/slick on the edges.

Before:

After:

I had on full AGVSport leathers, Joe Rocket gloves, a Scorpion EXO helmet, and Axo armored boots. I escaped without a scratch luckily. The bike lost the left mirror/turn signal and the windscreen. Scrapes on the tail fairing. Frame slider protected the rest. My leathers are scuffed but fine, and none of my other gear appears to have been damaged. My helmet never touched the ground.

I have those leathers. They crash well :D

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Fraser CDN posted:

They are supposed to burn most of that off at the shop when you get new tires.

Uh, no? :confused:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

KARMA! posted:

Uh, no? :confused:

Im a motorcycle mechanic, you are supposed to do a burnout to get the oils off of it to make it less slippery.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
How do you burnout the edge?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

nsaP posted:

You do one of those walk next to the bike while you do spinning burnouts with it leaned all the way over etc.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

nsaP posted:

You could burnout two bikes back to back and then kind of nuzzle the two tires together so you got good coverage.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Fraser CDN posted:

Im a motorcycle mechanic, you are supposed to do a burnout to get the oils off of it to make it less slippery.

Oil? I hope you're not talking about mold-release.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

KARMA! posted:

He's talking about the tea oils that tire dealers often rub on their product to offer an enticing essence of lilac or cedar to potential customers who, after all, in shopping for the right tire, have very little to differentiate their product and make it 'pop'.

Another approach is pin cinnamon or cloves to the sidewall to offer a autumnal experience, both for the customer and the mechanic who mounts and balances the tire. It's critical to remove these pins, however, because when leaned over, they can drive all the way through and cause a puncture.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

KARMA! posted:

Im not sure exactly what it is but its standard operation procedure for putting on a new tire. There are tech tips and court cases making it mandatory for shops to break in a new tire. Most shops have signs by the bay doors reminding techs to do it.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I would be super pissed if some rear end in a top hat did a burnout on my brand-new tires.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

aventari posted:

I would be super pissed if some rear end in a top hat did a burnout on my brand-new tires.

Would you rather slide through an intersection when you try and stop?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Depends, am I on a sumo?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Come on guys, you mean you haven't seen the enormous black streaks and smell of burned rubber outside every dealership?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I only went to a dealership once long enough to figure out they don't test ride bikes (Japanese Company duh). I doubt I'll ever buy a bike from a dealer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fraser CDN posted:

Would you rather slide through an intersection when you try and stop?

Why miss a perfectly good opportunity to lay her down?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Was pouring rain tonight, on my way home from a friend's with the '89 GSXR and got a little overzealous with the throttle from a stop light. Spun the tire all the way through the intersection, trying to keep it inline before it high sided me off. I'm okay, couple bruises but I was ATGATT so nothing worth mentioning. The GSX-R on the other hand has a broken mirror, front fairing, dent in the gas tank and a hole through the clutch cover. :(

If I'm not blowing up engines I'm crashing. loving motorcycles, why do they have to be so awesome yet so.. hurtful :smith:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

I only went to a dealership once long enough to figure out they don't test ride bikes (Japanese Company duh). I doubt I'll ever buy a bike from a dealer.

Yeah I really hate this. I kind of understand why they do it, but it sucks that I can ride just about any other manufacturers bikes to get my own opinion of them but for some of the largest and most diverse groups I have to rely on magazines.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Drifter posted:

I kicked it into neutral without realizing it at first (I wanted to shift up) and as I went to apply throttle I panicked a bit

I seriously have no idea why people keep doing this. I've heard it a lot though, but only from Americans. Is the loving car-autobox an issue here or what?

This is not intended as a flame, I'm just genuine curious. I've never heard that crash excuse from any European.

Riding really fast is 30% knowing your gearbox, 30% knowing your brakes, divide the remaining 40% between clutch, frame, suspension and torque-curve.

I just have a really hard time trying to understand this. Why panic? It should take 1/10 of a second to realize that you're not in gear. You should realize this by just half releasing your clutch. 1/10 sec. later you should be fine.

Anyway. I'm glad you survived and the bike only took "minor" damage. I surely wouldn't like any of my bikes in your "minor damage"-zones though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yeah man you pretty much nailed it, sad to say but us Americans simply aren't as good at things as Europeans.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

LO Technology posted:

I seriously have no idea why people keep doing this. I've heard it a lot though, but only from Americans. Is the loving car-autobox an issue here or what?

This is not intended as a flame, I'm just genuine curious. I've never heard that crash excuse from any European.

Anyway. I'm glad you survived and the bike only took "minor" damage. I surely wouldn't like any of my bikes in your "minor damage"-zones though.

You don't use the clutch to upshift on a track. Minor damage is being able to pick it up and keep riding, how loving pristine is your bike?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

LO Technology posted:

Riding really fast is 30% knowing your gearbox, 30% knowing your brakes, divide the remaining 40% between clutch, frame, suspension and torque-curve.

I just have a really hard time trying to understand this. Why panic? It should take 1/10 of a second to realize that you're not in gear. You should realize this by just half releasing your clutch. 1/10 sec. later you should be fine.

I don't know why, but I am reading this in the accent of Valentino Rossi.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

LO Technology posted:

Well, mainly because he's American, but since he's only been riding a few months maybe it's just him being a new rider? I know Europeans never make mistakes as new riders, you'll have to bear with us here. New riding Americans have "oh poo poo" moments.

RE: Clutchless upshifts, even the 1-2? Maybe it's just my bike, but the times I've done the 1-2 upshift have either been really hard or it would just pop to N. 2-3 etc. are all pretty smooth, as long as I am.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

LO Technology posted:

Your posting has been pretty terrible across the board. Is that a European skill?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

He's talking about the tea oils that tire dealers often rub on their product to offer an enticing essence of lilac or cedar to potential customers who, after all, in shopping for the right tire, have very little to differentiate their product and make it 'pop'.

Another approach is pin cinnamon or cloves to the sidewall to offer a autumnal experience, both for the customer and the mechanic who mounts and balances the tire. It's critical to remove these pins, however, because when leaned over, they can drive all the way through and cause a puncture.
This is true. While shopping for new tires for the Vino, I had my heart set on Michelin S-1's, but ultimately went with some Cheng Shins because gosh darnit, I love lavender and chamomile.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If it helps someone else in a similar situation I thought I'd respond to this. I don't want to contribute to any derailment.

LO Technology posted:

Riding really fast is <simple arithmetic>.

I nudged it up when I should have kicked up harder. No real mystery. I've done it on the streets early on riding my bike coming up from 1->2.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that in order to get better at what you do, you will,, inevitably make mistakes as part of the learning process. Small ones, big ones, whatever. I've long thought that going to classes that feature time on a controlled course and professional feedback opportunities are the best arenas to push past your current limits and gain additional skills and knowledge.

quote:

My rpm matching is so smooth you wouldn't be able to tell if you're off gear. :smugbird:

If anyone has better feedback than my own conclusions please feel free to add that input. Maybe I could still learn something.

Panic wasn't the best verbage. No one shat their pants.

I was really concentrating on other things at the time and when I lost control initially by not being able to accelerate or engine brake, for an instant I thought I had shut off my bike accidentally. It didn't make any sense, but there you go - I couldn't feel anything going on beneath me so I jumped to a wrong conclusion. By the time I realized the problem I had already decided on some level that I (would be more comfortable with) and the other riders were safer with me riding off the track than me potentially sliding down the road with them behind me getting caught along in my possible path of destruction. My biggest mistake with that crash was trying to brake in the dirt at my speed, rather than just ride straight through and slowing down naturally. A whole lot went on during that time. :kakashi:

Of course, after some coaching with a trainer I was able to realize that trusting the physics of the machine rather than my rather new instincts on a bike would have let me stay on the road and resolve my situation way more effectively.

The combination of hitting the corner (having a limited distance to act) and missing the shift was the issue for me, had it been a straight path in 1/10 of a second I'd have re-shifted up and been on my way with no one even aware I'd missed the gear the first time. As it stood, I should have just taken the turn which would have given me more time to figure out and resolve my actual problem, loss of throttle.

quote:

:master::fry::nattyburn:
I'm not sure what else to call paint scoring and a wobbly but easily reattached turn signal. A fairing is there to direct wind pressures and protect the engine area. No loss of function occurred at all. All of the damage was visible on the other picture beneath my right hand. Seems minor to me when a motorcycle is traveling 40 mph on any part of itself that aren't the wheels. I do, however, honestly thank you for the expression of concern for my well being. As long as we're not dongs, we're part of a family of shared experience that most people will never take part in.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
loving Americans.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Drifter posted:

The combination of hitting the corner (having a limited distance to act) and missing the shift was the issue for me, had it been a straight path in 1/10 of a second I'd have re-shifted up and been on my way with no one even aware I'd missed the gear the first time. As it stood, I should have just taken the turn which would have given me more time to figure out and resolve my actual problem, loss of throttle.

This is really what it comes down to. At the track there's not a lot of margin for error, because even if a person isn't pushing the limits of the bike, they are pushing their personal limits, and sometimes that leads to stupid mistakes when they're forced to compensate for something they wouldn't have normally had to deal with.

Rear brake only when you're offroading it on the track, and do try and slow down quickly unless you've scouted the runoff area and know there are no ditches or anything out there.

You're alright, that is what's important, the best thing you can do for situations like that is start building mental plans for what happens when things go wrong. Having a bit of mental planning for a lovely situation can be the difference between the right decision and a panic reaction.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

sigtrap posted:

Your posting has been pretty terrible across the board. Is that a European skill?

I can confirm this. I'm from Europe and my posts are generally terrible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Forty Two posted:

I can confirm this. I'm from Europe and my posts are generally terrible.

I'll second that.

I'm from Europe and my posts suck.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll second that.

I'm from Europe and my posts suck.

I think as americans, we often forget that our sucking came from a proud tradition of sucking that came from Europe, Africa, and Asia. We're a melting pot, and no matter how our unusual culture has succeeded in bringing together sucking from all over the world, we have to remain aware of how people were sucking for 1000s of years before us, and never forget their sacrifices in OH HEY this is a thread about crashing:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/european_motorcycle_crash_study/index.html
http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?pagename=News&action=display&content=D74601B1-CF1B-F812-3A0A505FA8383611

Oh god the harlemanity

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
WEAR YOUR GEAR...

About 4 hours ago a lady decided that she needed to pass a semi-truck. Unfortunately I was directly next to her passing her and the semi... The infamous no-look pull out. She nudged me pretty hard and I went down. I have no road rash but two busted ribs and a mild concussion...

BTW for all that loved and envied it, I have not seen the Bandit1250 yet... I was told the guy that picked it up rode it up the truck to haul it away... but at the same time they handed me my left mirror in the hospital...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
You know you're supposed to be physic and avoid these things right?

Skreemer posted:

but at the same time they handed me my left mirror in the hospital...

There was one survivor. *insert imagery from fifth element*

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Nerobro posted:

There was one survivor. *insert imagery from fifth element*

That would be sweet if you could revive an old bike if all you had left was a rear blinker and a clutch lever.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Skreemer posted:

WEAR YOUR GEAR...

About 4 hours ago a lady decided that she needed to pass a semi-truck. Unfortunately I was directly next to her passing her and the semi... The infamous no-look pull out. She nudged me pretty hard and I went down. I have no road rash but two busted ribs and a mild concussion...

Did she stop/someone get her plate?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

aventari posted:

Did she stop/someone get her plate?

The local sheriffs have her information, I supposedly put a 7 - 8 inch diameter dent in her car. The fun part is supposedly the bike and I flipped into the median and the oncoming traffic thought I was destined to meet them... So they all came to a sudden stop and I caused a 3 car pile up on the other side of the road... awesome that I am the mere thought of me coming at them I caused 3 other vehicles to wreck.

I'm hoping to get enough out of the settlement to try and buy a Bandit GT next time...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sorry for the lovely cellphone camera pic:

That's me, alone in the woods, with a spiral fracture on my left tibia and a regular-style fracture on my left fibula.

Stupid mistake number 1: Riding like a dong alone in the woods

Stupid mistake number 2: Wearing hiking boots "in case I had to push the bike out of any mud." I don't know for certain if my A* boots would have protected my leg bones any better, but it's possible.

Stupid mistake number 3: Not calling 911. I called my girlfriend who, being a trooper, drove down to where I was riding (10 minutes from my house) and hiked out to get me (an additional 10 minutes). She overheated herself and twisted her ankle in the process, and then called 911 for me.

While the paramedics were coming (my girlfriend hiked back to the trailhead to lead them to me) some guys on ATVs found me. They were friendly and stayed with me until the paramedics got over to me, told us the quickest way out of the woods, pushed my bike out, and let me ride one of their ATVs (very slowly, sidesaddle, with my foot flopping all over the place) out of the woods.

I spent two nights in the hospital, and I'll have to stay off of this leg for about six weeks.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Safety Dance posted:

Sorry for the lovely cellphone camera pic:

That's me, alone in the woods, with a spiral fracture on my left tibia and a regular-style fracture on my left fibula.

Stupid mistake number 1: Riding like a dong alone in the woods

Stupid mistake number 2: Wearing hiking boots "in case I had to push the bike out of any mud." I don't know for certain if my A* boots would have protected my leg bones any better, but it's possible.

Stupid mistake number 3: Not calling 911. I called my girlfriend who, being a trooper, drove down to where I was riding (10 minutes from my house) and hiked out to get me (an additional 10 minutes). She overheated herself and twisted her ankle in the process, and then called 911 for me.

While the paramedics were coming (my girlfriend hiked back to the trailhead to lead them to me) some guys on ATVs found me. They were friendly and stayed with me until the paramedics got over to me, told us the quickest way out of the woods, pushed my bike out, and let me ride one of their ATVs (very slowly, sidesaddle, with my foot flopping all over the place) out of the woods.

I spent two nights in the hospital, and I'll have to stay off of this leg for about six weeks.

Scary stuff dude. Do you remember what happened with the wreck that cause you to break your leg? Heal up quick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hughmoris posted:

Scary stuff dude. Do you remember what happened with the wreck that cause you to break your leg? Heal up quick!

Yeah. I was going too fast on dirt/gravel and hit a nasty rut. My back end came out from under me and I wound up on the ground.

• Locked thread