Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Omerta posted:

right click save as. Thanks a lot, that looks awesome. I haven't figured out how to do super cool things with the program yet. I kinda want to go to Kinkos and print this out on a big poster.

Acrobat lets you print one image to multiple pieces of paper if you're into cutting and taping, 6 pages did it for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
I am a 1L (now 2L I guess, jesus that's fast) at Northwestern and I enjoy the company of all of my sectionmates and most of my classmates and I get kind of crappy grades and I really like law school and I am happy with my summer job and I am excited to be a lawyer

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

mutism posted:

So turns out six clerking interviews and six functions in ten days is not very enjoyable.

You're in New Zealand, right? Which firms did you like most?

I didn't go to one of the pre-interview functions last year because I had a contract midsessional, but that firm still gave me an offer anyway and I ended up accepting. I was kind of glad to have the excuse because goddamn the atmosphere at those things is way too intense. I can't imagine going to six in such a short time.

After summer clerking I accepted a graduate offer from them for 2013. Pretty sweet to have it lined up this far in advance. Except that I'm with the Christchurch office and they won't have a permanent office till 2014 or so, but hey, whatever.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Lancelot posted:

How hard is it to get into the NYU/UMich Tax LLMs? I've got an article published in international tax law, will have a couple years' experience practicing in tax law in a top-tier New Zealand law firm, and my university grades are good but not amazing (A minus-ish). Do I have a shot, or should I set my sights lower?

You're at least very competitive. My friend who was 10% at a T2 and LR got it with no tax work experience or publications and two tax classes (one of which he didn't have a grade for yet). I think the fact that you have a gig in it and that you're interested enough in it to sweat out a note means you fall into the class of people where it's not a terrible idea. I'm not sure if Mich is the place to go for it yet, most people say GULC is the #2 program.

mutism
Feb 17, 2011

Chocolate Milk posted:

You're in New Zealand, right? Which firms did you like most?
I didn't have a strong reaction against any of the firms except one. I'm going to keep which one it was to myself until after offers come out!

It hasn't been so bad really. Everyone was generally super nice and welcoming. I've had good feedback concerning my interviews so fingers crossed.

Just Monday to go. Two more interviews/meetings, a dinner and written submissions due for a moot. At least it's character building.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

entris posted:

You'll get in, I'm sure. There were a bunch of T2 and even T3 kids in the GULC tax program who had median JD grades who got in at GULC.

NYU might be a little more competitive but I'm sure you could get it.

Does UMich's tax program have a good reputation? I've never heard it mentioned.
UMich only accepts international students, so that's why you've probably never heard of it. I'm not sure how it stacks up to Florida/GULC though.

prussian advisor posted:

Uh, sounds like you're probably the most competetive candidate either program will probably get this year? I expect you'll easily get into both and should be very competetive for NYU's tax law review/scholarship program thing.

The question is, why do you want to do that? I'm assuming you're a New Zealander and not an American JD degree holder--are you trying to get licensed to practice in America? If so, why?
Yeah, I have a New Zealand LLB. I haven't decided where I want to work yet — maybe the UK or Hong Kong — but US LLMs have very good standing internationally, while New Zealand LLBs do not. I think I'd be better able to market myself to firms outside New Zealand with something other than a kiwi bachelor's degree.

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

This is definitely the sort of advice that I find very helpful. Right now I'm just trying to get a grasp on what the good prep supplements/outlines are. This is the first time I've heard of the Conviser Mini Review, whereas people seem to be all about the much longer and in-depth E&E series put out by Aspen. I of course know about elements and all that, I'm just not sure what else I should bother learning, as so much seems tailored to the professor, particularly at top schools.

Believe it or not you may find the top-law-school forums useful in terms of figuring out what the universe is for supplements that people have had success with over the years. I've bought quite a few supplements, but I never found them useful enough to crack open more than a few times.

Also, a possible pro-tip is signing up for BarBri and using the online BarBri materials. If you have a product in the iPod/iPhone family you can load up multiple choice questions to break up your studying monotony and you can pre-load video/audio BarBri lectures for 1Ls. I believe they re-do them every year so the lectures stay relevant. I have only used Freer's lecture for Civ. Pro. as I found out about BarBri late. And it was glorious; I credit this guy for helping me to see the big picture of Civ. Pro. clearly. Plus he made sitting and listening to someone talk about the FRCP for 6 hours interesting and engaging.

For Civ. Pro: The big guns are Freer's book and Glannon's Guide to Civ. Pro. + the E&E he wrote. Freer gives the most detail and writes the most exhaustive analysis of Civ. Pro. Glannon's stuff is probably better for drilling the black-letter law. I didn't use the books very much; I used them several times in the beginning of the semester and almost not at all after the midterm. I also bought Law in the Flash flashcards. Didn't use those much either. The Freer 1L BarBri lecture was amazing though. Do listen to that if you want the most straightforward ways to work the big rules / statutes and want to understand how all the parts of civil procedure fit together.

For Torts: Did not use supplements. Our professor hated regurgitation and wanted people to cut to the chase and directly discuss problematic elements. I did spend an inordinate amount of time figuring out how to quickly and coherently *write* the analysis for long chains of causation involving negligence (even now I have a soft spot in my heart for the word "supra"). If your professor writes a racehorse style exam (don't know if this will really happen if your exams are take-home) you just need to practice issue spotting and writing. A lot. And read past exams. Professors are only so creative when it comes to writing fact patterns (although ours was pretty hilarious. Some dudes tried to create firebreaks in their town by dropping crates of dynamite from planes to strategically flatten houses. And the fire was caused by marijuana).

For Contracts: Did not use supplements. Our professor liked seeing creative answers which captured many alternative theories of offer/acceptance. I didn't do much exams, only two. I think for this class, I got a lot of mileage out of simply attending class and just absorbing the thought processes of the professor. Although he was receptive to all kinds of theories of contract, he clearly had certain theories he would give more weight to and certain pieces of evidence he thought were more compelling. You'd only know these things by going to lecture and actually listening to the professor, and believe it or not, seeing how he reacted to different arguments by students. Oh, and I learned how amazing model answers are in this course. I had a big writer's block as I just couldn't figure out a writing style/format that would let me get through the material with depth and speed. I read a student model answer, and something about his/her style just clicked with me. After internalizing this person's style, writing the exam was easy.

For Crim. Law: It doesn't really matter what I think for this course because I got a B here. I guess the only useful nugget I have is don't skip class. I skipped this class regularly to sleep in since it was so drat early. Also, our professor taught crim. law in a really, really unorthodox way (as in we spent a lot of time talking about policy and evidence and playing judge, and not actual crimes). So the other moral would be don't think you can supplement your way out of not going to class. You need to go to class to know what your professor expects, and sometimes that professor is going to expect you to know his non-standard approach to a subject.

For Property: If you have Singer or someone who teaches from his casebook, you may find it worth your while to get his treatise. It is also 900+ pages but it is much more to the point than the casebook.

Con. Law: Chemerinsky. He also does a BarBri lecture but his speaking voice is horrible and he tries to show off by doing the whole thing memorized.

Damn Phantom fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 7, 2011

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Lancelot posted:

I haven't decided where I want to work yet — maybe the UK or Hong Kong — but US LLMs have very good standing internationally, while New Zealand LLBs do not. I think I'd be better able to market myself to firms outside New Zealand with something other than a kiwi bachelor's degree.

From what I've heard it's relatively common for young New Zealand lawyers to work in the UK for a few years - is that not true anymore?

mutism posted:

Just Monday to go. Two more interviews/meetings, a dinner and written submissions due for a moot. At least it's character building.

Good luck! When's offer day this year? It'll all be worth it then. :)

mutism
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks! All comes out on the 12th.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Red Bean Juice posted:

I just use Photoshop, plunk down blocks of text wherever and draw in lines, but for courses like Corporations that usually just ends up resulting in 200 MB PSD files.

This is awesome. Thank you.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
JD - done
Bar Exam - done
LL.M. - Sitting in the last exam I will ever take. 3 hours / 6 questions = 30 minutes per question. Each question clearly identifies the issue, all we have to do is write our analysis. No hunting around to figure out the issue, no worrying that we've missed anything, no hiding the ball.

So. Awesome.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Yo MrToodles email me when you get a chance. I still want to buy the Chemerinksy fed supplement.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

NJ Deac posted:

If you have the 40 credits in a hard science sufficient to qualify for the USPTO exam, why not just finish out whatever degree program you've almost completed and take a double-major? If the classes aren't technical/sciency enough to satisfy the core requirements of a CS degree or whatever, they're probably not good enough to satisfy the USPTO requirement either (e.g. courses for a Information Systems degree generally won't be sufficient).

The ability to sit for the patent bar is really only important for patent prosecution. Patent prosecutors are hired based on their technical area of expertise. For example, as a CS guy, I don't write patents for chemical or biological inventions. Without a strong background in a particular scientific discipline, your USPTO registration isn't going to be helpful for much of anything.

The science courses will take a hit on my GPA, and I want to give myself the opportunity for the best law school possible. Plus most of my credits are in the life sciences, and from the sounds of it- biotech and EE are the big patent areas.

This is going to sound dumb but what if I just get an EE degree after law school?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

The science courses will take a hit on my GPA, and I want to give myself the opportunity for the best law school possible. Plus most of my credits are in the life sciences, and from the sounds of it- biotech and EE are the big patent areas.

This is going to sound dumb but what if I just get an EE degree after law school?

get an EE degree after undergrad and then see if you want to do law school.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

J Miracle posted:

get an EE degree after undergrad and then see if you want to do law school.

If my undergrad GPA after getting an EE degree makes me competitive for only T2 and T3's will law school still be worth it?

drawkcab si eman ym fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 7, 2011

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

If my undergrad GPA makes me competitive for only T2 and T3's will law school still be worth it?

Law school isn't even worth it now. Don't go.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Linguica posted:

I want to add that I have these same qualifications and despite having heard just how awful and ego-destroying her job is, I've asked HooKars to let me know if there's ever an opening because that's how desperate I am

Did you get my PM that says we're hiring for my exact position? They just put it up the other day. Which means me or my coworker is getting laid off, but I already know it's not me because they've taken him off most poo poo which is a shame because then I could get unemployment. When I quit they'll be even more desperate.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
For MEET ME BY DUCK and other 0Ls:

1. Skim Getting to Maybe. That's it. Enjoying the time before school begins is the important thing. I think there's a lot to be said for walking into a new academic situation fresh, ready to rock and in a good mood.

3. Civ Pro: Glannon is good.

4. Crim: We used Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law for our one assigned book, but we did exactly one case so my class was a little strange. Might be good to use Dressler as a supplement if you get a casebook.

For any other class I used a briefbook, but it was only to get easy summaries of the facts of a case and make class discussion easier. Can't remember the names of any of them but I'm sure your library will have tons.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

I know some people who went out and got their EE degree after going to law school, but they graduated at least ten years ago. I imagine that things are pretty different these days, but it's better than being a political science major with just enough life science credits to sit for the patent bar.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

rsvandy posted:

I know some people who went out and got their EE degree after going to law school, but they graduated at least ten years ago. I imagine that things are pretty different these days, but it's better than being a political science major with just enough life science credits to sit for the patent bar.

see but why not go for EE first, that way if you need to work instead of going for yet more school you actually have a shot at being employed, plus if he likes being an engineer then he'll actually have a good career and maybe a good life.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

sigmachiev posted:

For MEET ME BY DUCK and other 0Ls:

1. Skim Getting to Maybe. That's it. Enjoying the time before school begins is the important thing. I think there's a lot to be said for walking into a new academic situation fresh, ready to rock and in a good mood.

I agree. The hardest part about 1L year is that your professors say lots of things and you read lots of cases and it's difficult to know what ultimate goal you are working toward. Getting to Maybe is a pretty simple guide to what law school exams tend to look like and how you should generally approach them. It's easier to read casebooks and take notes in class when you know the purpose of the material that you're reading/hearing.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

jake1357 posted:

I agree. The hardest part about 1L year is that your professors say lots of things and you read lots of cases and it's difficult to know what ultimate goal you are working toward. Getting to Maybe is a pretty simple guide to what law school exams tend to look like and how you should generally approach them. It's easier to read casebooks and take notes in class when you know the purpose of the material that you're reading/hearing.

I can't remember if Getting to Maybe explicitly says this but one thing I picked up from it that has been really valuable is to be a little playful with exams. Law professors think they're the great unappreciated scholars of all academia and I know I got As in a couple classes specifically because I brought up creative arguments that they thought were interesting. At least that's what a couple said when I met with the after the exam to figure out what I did right.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

I can't remember if Getting to Maybe explicitly says this but one thing I picked up from it that has been really valuable is to be a little playful with exams. Law professors think they're the great unappreciated scholars of all academia and I know I got As in a couple classes specifically because I brought up creative arguments that they thought were interesting. At least that's what a couple said when I met with the after the exam to figure out what I did right.

Yes it did and this is great advice and I know it helped me on exams.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 17, 2011

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

What's the normal career paths for biglaw transactional attorneys vs litigation attorneys (ignoring the common ones like "get fired" "get laid off" or "make partner (heh)"?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Now it's not just the New York Times on the Don't Go bandwagon, The Economist has hopped on as well.

And thank you to this thread: I had a biglaw associate I dated briefly tried to convince me that I should go to law school part-time and go from my well-paying IT job into patent law. This thread has destroyed any desire I might have had to do that.

fordan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 8, 2011

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Omerta posted:

Jobchat: Any opinions here about any Atlanta firms? OCI is coming up and I'm looking at all of them, but particularly interested in Alston, K&S, PaulHasting, Troutman, Sutherland.

Eh, I'll throw it out there - K&S is where I started at but I was in their NY office. I had a lot of issues with them but that may be more office specific. The layoffs of first years though was definitely firm wide, but I dont know if that's really an issue anymore.

I am still really bitter though that I asked for litigation and they put me into a transactional practice group.

HooKars fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 7, 2011

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

HooKars posted:

Eh, I'll throw it out there - K&S is where I started at but I was in their NY office. I had a lot of issues with them but that may be more office specific. The layoffs of first years though was definitely firm wide, but I dont know if that's really an issue anymore.

I am still really bitter though that I asked for litigation and they put me into a transactional practice group.

I haven't heard anything about other K&S offices besides the Atlanta office. That really sucks they completely flopped you from lit to transactional.

evilweasel posted:

What's the normal career paths for biglaw transactional attorneys vs litigation attorneys (ignoring the common ones like "get fired" "get laid off" or "make partner (heh)"?

Transactional:
slave --> slightly higher slave --> partner
Slave -3 to 5 years-> In-house
Slave -laid off-> ???
Occasionally slave --> buy side slave

Litigation: make partner at big firm or join smaller firm. Maybe in-house if your focus was Labor and employment or IP. Or RIDE THE PERSONAL INJURY GRAVY TRAIN

Most biglaw refugees I've spoken with form firms with other biglaw refugees. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Omerta posted:

Yo MrToodles email me when you get a chance. I still want to buy the Chemerinksy fed supplement.

Ok ok i emailed you.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

If you do this it is extremely unlikely you will be able to find an entry level firm job that will actually train you how to be a lawyer. Firms hire 2Ls and occasionally graduating 3Ls - not attorneys who got their degree several years ago and then didn't practice. It is incredibly difficult to get a job with no experience after you are more than a couple years out from your law degree, as many recent grads who were unable to find employment are finding out now.

If you think you may be interested in patent law, you need to get your science degree first before you consider law school. You should take the opportunity to get a couple of years of experience in your technical field too, as that is something many firms look for in their patent associates.

Or better yet, forget the idea of going to law school altogether and find gainful employment in whatever field poli sci prepares one for.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

NJ Deac posted:

If you do this it is extremely unlikely you will be able to find an entry level firm job that will actually train you how to be a lawyer. Firms hire 2Ls and occasionally graduating 3Ls - not attorneys who got their degree several years ago and then didn't practice. It is incredibly difficult to get a job with no experience after you are more than a couple years out from your law degree, as many recent grads who were unable to find employment are finding out now.

This cannot be overstated. If you're out of law for over a year, maybe two max, your only choices are doc review or opening your own shop. And doc review has gotten harder to find.

Opening your own shop does *not* always require you to know anything about law (if you aren't braindead you can fill out basic immigration forms (or perform loan modifications (lol Dan Dargon))) but you'll be lost when anything complicated comes up; getting clients is bad enough to begin with, but getting them when you have to let all the hard cases go or risk malpractice is next to impossible. In addition, as I've said several times, the stuff that doesn't require you to know law usually does require you to be bilingual.

No jobs unless you die alone while speaking Russian/Spanish/Chinese/etc.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Omerta posted:

I haven't heard anything about other K&S offices besides the Atlanta office.

This is just a minor point but the Atlanta office was still business formal when I worked there and I think it still is. I don't know how you feel about suits, but personally, I found wearing a suit all day, everyday even in the summer to be kind of obnoxious. I was really happy when the NYC office changed to business casual.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Omerta posted:

Jobchat: Any opinions here about any Atlanta firms? OCI is coming up and I'm looking at all of them, but particularly interested in Alston, K&S, PaulHasting, Troutman, Sutherland.

I'm from Atlanta and I'm going back there when I graduate (IN LESS THAN A WEEK). Email me at HiddenReplaced@gmail if you want to discuss.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Adar posted:

This cannot be overstated. If you're out of law for over a year, maybe two max, your only choices are doc review or opening your own shop. And doc review has gotten harder to find.

Opening your own shop does *not* always require you to know anything about law (if you aren't braindead you can fill out basic immigration forms (or perform loan modifications (lol Dan Dargon))) but you'll be lost when anything complicated comes up; getting clients is bad enough to begin with, but getting them when you have to let all the hard cases go or risk malpractice is next to impossible. In addition, as I've said several times, the stuff that doesn't require you to know law usually does require you to be bilingual.

No jobs unless you die alone while speaking Russian/Spanish/Chinese/etc.
Honestly, if you graduate law school, have no job, and you still want to be a lawyer (why, who knows?), you need to volunteer to get real skills. Really, the only options for this are public defenders, district attorney, and county counsel (and maybe city attorney's) offices. Can't afford to work for free? You're hosed.
This is really the only way to no make a year unemployed after law school make you non-employable. I'd recommend the options that get you jury trials as those can actually make you marketable to civil lit firms (where your 3-10 jury trials gives you more jury trials than the partner who runs the lit dept.) and pd or da volunteer work can may you eligible for one of the very few PD or DA jobs out there.

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS
So how much do you guys love Med/law student mixers?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Forever Zero posted:

Is this a thing? Here at GULC the law center is across town from the rest of the campus, including the med school, so the law students exist within their own bubble.

edit: All law students should love Med/law mixers, because it gives the law students a chance to find a mate who a) works just as hard, if not harder, than lawyers (which means the mate won't divorce you) and b) gets paid much, much better for it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

why not look into becoming a patent examiner (once we get a budget that lets us get rid of the hiring freeze)?

mutism
Feb 17, 2011
Got asked 'do you feel as though you let yourself down?' concerning some past poor non-Law marks in an interview this morning. Oof

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mutism posted:

Got asked 'do you feel as though you let yourself down?' concerning some past poor non-Law marks in an interview this morning. Oof

What an rear end in a top hat question.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

Forever Zero posted:

I got coerced into attending one of these. It was just like the dances we had in 6th grade, only instead of all the boys staring at all the girls from across the gym, the med students balefully congregated by the karaoke machine and stared at the law students getting wasted on $1 Lone Star tallboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

why not look into becoming a patent examiner (once we get a budget that lets us get rid of the hiring freeze)?

I'm thinking about this, but in Canada, but I also want to get a law degree so I can go in house and whatnot eventually if I wanted to. I have a job in patent prosecution right now and will have a couple of years of experience before I go to law school though, so I'd have enough money for the degree without loans and can get in as a "mature student" so my comparatively low engineering GPA wont matter as much.