Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Take the option to name the mechs. Name one of them the Honey Badger. You know you want this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I keep wondering why some girl named Rose keeps showing up in this story...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

We then learn that Esmeralda has killed the Charger with a gyro-hit

While missing a leg, IIRC. :black101:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I... that... I... melee... just... what?

Okay, I'm better now. My mind has purged any concept that.

So... when are you going to do chapter 12?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

I... that... I... melee... just... what?

Okay, I'm better now. My mind has purged any concept that.

So... when are you going to do chapter 12?

The best part is, we still have three chapters to go before we're off Solaris, and another 3 past that until we reach the end of 'book 1', AKA the loving prologue, and start in on Book 2 AKA the actual loving plot.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 7, 2011

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Dunno if anyone cares, but Steam has a weekend sale on Crysis titles ($5-10). Crysis Warhead and the complete pack both come with Crysis War, the multiplayer add-on which is the basis of the total conversion mod MechWarrior: Living Legends!

I'm looking forward to checking out stompy robots of death, and I thought some here might enjoy as well...

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OH GOD

I really want to name me some clan mechs.

But

A mystery box

What's in the mystery box

It might be fish! Or two smaller mystery boxes, each containing a fish!

Or it might be an all-expenses-paid trip for four to Omaha, Nebraska!

I'LL TAKE THE MYSTERY BOX ALEX! Gimme #3?

Was there ever any doubt? A man who will drink a fish is always going to pick the mystery box

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
oh hell yeah I know this is going to be good.

pfft that would make it easy, how about shadowhawks versus the clans :v:
VVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 7, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mystery choices are always the best! Just you wait. Next mission, everyone pilots a Charger.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

We then learn that Esmeralda has killed the Charger with a gyro-hit, and the Hunchback has body-slammed the Centurion and the two are just sorta laying pinned inside a building.

Wait a second. How did the Warhammer get any hits on the gyro? It can't make punch attacks, which mean it had to kicked the thing. Can you hit the central gyro with a kick?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It can punch, but at a penalty to hit and damage.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Gothsheep posted:

Wait a second. How did the Warhammer get any hits on the gyro? It can't make punch attacks, which mean it had to kicked the thing. Can you hit the central gyro with a kick?

1: You can punch without hands, you just take a penalty.
2: Your kicks can land on the CT/CTR if you're 1H above your target.
3: Your kicks can land on the CT/CTR if your target is prone.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

1: You can punch without hands, you just take a penalty.
2: Your kicks can land on the CT/CTR if you're 1H above your target.
3: Your kicks can land on the CT/CTR if your target is prone.

In other words, the author doesn't know much about the setting he was writing about. Who else would put a Warhammer in a physical combat only fight? Hell, who would agree to pilot it (Clanners don't count)?

Terror storm
Oct 23, 2010

Your head is worth nothing,
and that's a good thing.

quote:

Waiting on TerrorStorm.

Just saying I'm still here, just back at uni so free time is a bit of a luxury at the moment.

Also orders sent.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Leperflesh posted:

I'LL TAKE THE MYSTERY BOX ALEX! Gimme #3?

Yay! :)

Too bad about the carbombs! It was an unintentional pun :P

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

paragon1 posted:

In other words, the author doesn't know much about the setting he was writing about. Who else would put a Warhammer in a physical combat only fight? Hell, who would agree to pilot it (Clanners don't count)?

I was going to say, a Warhammer seems like an extraordinarily stupid 'mech to agree to use in a no-pewpew-allowed fight. I guess Warwick double-dared Carstairs to fight him at a weight disadvantage and with a no-hands 'mech in the lead, and everyone knows that you have to take double-dares on Solaris.

Or, as you say, the author's incompetent. I WONDER.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Rivensteel posted:

Dunno if anyone cares, but Steam has a weekend sale on Crysis titles ($5-10). Crysis Warhead and the complete pack both come with Crysis War, the multiplayer add-on which is the basis of the total conversion mod MechWarrior: Living Legends!

I'm looking forward to checking out stompy robots of death, and I thought some here might enjoy as well...

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

Yeah, noticed that as well. I'm installing Warhead right now, gonna check out some stompy 'bots later on today.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm buying warhead, do I need crysis too?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nope, standalone.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
FYI- The MW:LL installation is pretty painful. You download version 0.4.0, then download and install sequentially each new update through 0.4.9. Also, make sure you have Crysis Wars installed and set up with a profile before doing this. And that you have a GameSpy account.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Rivensteel posted:

FYI- The MW:LL installation is pretty painful. You download version 0.4.0, then download and install sequentially each new update through 0.4.9. Also, make sure you have Crysis Wars installed and set up with a profile before doing this. And that you have a GameSpy account.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. The only tricky thing is dealing with gamespy and that's hard to blame on the mod team.

Step 1: Install crysis wars. If not on steam, patch it.
Step 2: Download the MWLL installer and run it.
Step 3: Click OK several times during installation whilst it self updates, until completed.
Step 4: Run crysis wars. Set up gamespy account from within it.
Step 5: Run MWLL through the launcher (perhaps use the launcher to check your keybindings first). Pick any server other than Huntress, enjoy making big stompy robots explode!

E: This is noising up the LP thread, go to this one in games instead?

Nullkigan fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 7, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The contents of the Secret Surprise Box were secret. But I have beheld them and am joyful.

The rest of you will find out the nature of my reward in due time.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Leperflesh posted:

The contents of the Secret Surprise Box were secret. But I have beheld them and am joyful.

PTN you bastard.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Why does your post fill me with dread?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Leperflesh posted:

And why does it make me anxious to see the results? :allears:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Leperflesh is now a full company of paratroopers.

Well, yea, I know he isn't. But that was the first thing I thought of, and the phrasing is hilarious.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 7, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
He was given opfor <Redacted> to control for the next mission where we face the Clans. He will always win init.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

raverrn posted:

PTN you bastard.

It's not going to be another one of those "call down airstrike on your own goon team," is it? Because if it is, and given our current streak of bad luck on missions, the next team could be enjoying a lot of FUN soon.

Dwarf FORTRESS FUN. :gonk:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Goon Company has had surprisingly good luck overall in recent missions. They got amazingly close to total victory against the Vipers. While I applaud the ingenuity of the goons to get that done, if they had actually been on a bad luck streak there, the clanners would have absolutely mopped the floor with them. The tech level divide there is insane.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Goon Company has had surprisingly good luck overall in recent missions. They got amazingly close to total victory against the Vipers. While I applaud the ingenuity of the goons to get that done, if they had actually been on a bad luck streak there, the clanners would have absolutely mopped the floor with them. The tech level divide there is insane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic

There were a good few points in that mission where the players got unlucky.

The occasional good roll if you engineer it so that you get a lot of chances to get lucky isn't called luck, it's called statistics, and it's how you win at battletech.

This thread doesn't need another derail, please don't start one.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Delicious pancakes? Why yes, I would love some. I just hope they aren't LosTech.

Edited for civility.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 8, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

You let people ramble on about random poo poo for two+ pages, and then hit me for derailing for answering a post about luck?

gently caress you. There's no logical response to that. Just flat out, gently caress you.

Zaodai post about luck = People WILL derail hard and furiously. Derails on tenuously related topics that are civil and PTN is participating in are different than angry shouting wars about luck. I'm not a mod, and I'm not hitting you for anything. I'm just asking you not to inflict goon fury on everyone who wants to read a nice, fun thread.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
New update will be coming tonite. I know everyone's getting anxious and I do understand that we're goons and all, but I'd like to ask everyone to please keep things civil.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It wasn't my fury though. It was a polite post pointing out that Clan tech is ludicrously unfair against L1 IS tech. That was all.

If I had been raging out or bashing the guy, I'd completely understand. Anyway, now it's becoming a derail about not derailing, and your underlying point (we need less derails) is valid, so I'll drop it. I just wanted to clarify that and why my response to your post was so severe.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH SHADDUP BOTH OF YOU

So how about them giant robots?

To business. I wonder if the super secret box will be something to take effect in this scenario, such as reinforcements... perhaps it may be the Clans' next big target in the invasion, or another faction's big plan that will take effect in the next few missions.

My pet theory is that the mystery box contained the mechlist, loadout, and objectives of the Comstar mission, which I'm hoping we vote for at the end of this particular juncture.

Waiting tensely for the next update! Let's see our team pull this one out of the fire!

Edit: Zaodai, we don't all think you're a douchebag. At least not all the time. Let's everyone try to stay civil, can't we?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Let’s Read: Main Event (part 12)

Does this count as accomplishing a second ThingTM happening? I think it's telling that there has only been one giant robot fight in this book twelve chapters in. My favorite battltech novel growing up was Wolves on the Border which had like an entire company being killed by this point, and would have a battle on lava flows later.

By the way PTN, can we have a giant robot fight on a lava planet? That would be either pretty rad, with loads of ammo explosions and flamer abuse, or pretty boring if everyone brings lasers and overheats I guess.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
What IS the optimum weapons loadout for a lava planet fight? Gauss rifles and hatchets all around?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Notgothic posted:

What IS the optimum weapons loadout for a lava planet fight? Gauss rifles and hatchets all around?

Air conditioning and a mech with hands so you can push people into a volcano.

Or like you said, probably Gauss Rifles, melee, and maybe energy based loadouts with way more heatsinks than they need. Though at some point, you'd think they'd just give up and let the other side take the planet. It's made of lava! Or maybe it's just a punishment for the really dishonorable clan warriors and the most hated of mercenaries. "Oh, rough break. Your regiment drew lava planet guard duty again. Keep up the good work, guarding our strategic molten rock and sulphuric atmosphere reserves."

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 8, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Air conditioning and a mech with hands so you can push people into a volcano.

Or like you said, probably Gauss Rifles, melee, and maybe energy based loadouts with way more heatsinks than they need. Though at some point, you'd think they'd just give up and let the other side take the planet. It's made of lava!

An entire lance of Quickdraws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Zaodai posted:

"Oh, rough break. Your regiment drew lava planet guard duty again. Keep up the good work, guarding our strategic molten rock and sulphuric atmosphere reserves."

This is where the Steel Viper Mechwarriors who are to old and stupid to even pilot the Nagas go. Either that or someone keeps one around so they can be really smug when they chose a circle of equals.

"Hey, you think I made a bad decision stomping on that tank? gently caress you! We're fighting on the lava planet"

• Locked thread