Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ExtraNoise posted:

It's weird that the game will suddenly spawn a vehicle and the entire world will be flooded by that one vehicle. Then you will go back and none will be around.

Makes sense for memory contraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

csidle posted:

Yes. Great car for fast driving. Probably my favourite, although I prefer the Sultan XS over the stock. Are there no mods to remedy the car-spawn thing? :(
You mean Sultan RS, not XS.

There is a Sentinel XS, however. It's still just called a regular sentinel when you get inside though.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

You can find a Sultan RS behind the abandoned bum house on the third island every time you go there.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Just remembered how fun MTA SA can be. I shall provide no further descriptions as these images speak for themselves:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ExtraNoise posted:

It's weird that the game will suddenly spawn a vehicle and the entire world will be flooded by that one vehicle. Then you will go back and none will be around.

When the engine is spawning new cars, it gives priority to cars in the same class as the one you're driving. So if you drive an Infernus, you'll be surrounded by expensive sports cars (Cheetah, Banshee etc). If you're in a low-rider, you'll be surrounded by those. There are still rules covering different areas and where each vehicle category can spawn, so that you don't end up with a bunch of farm vehicles in the downtown area etc. And there are special rules that I think are individually programmed (for example in Vice City a garbage truck would drive past the stadium each morning at ~6am, regardless of what car you were driving).

Every GTA since GTA3 has worked this way, and as Doc Hawkins mentioned above it's solely because of memory constraints.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Starhawk64 posted:

So, what's everyone's favorite car in GTA4? I'm partial to the Sabre GT. It's semi-common, tough enough to survive crashes, and has a sweet exhaust note to boot.

I also like the Blista Compact.

Vanilla cars: SabreGT all around, but if I know that things are gonna get interesting, I'll take a Futo GT.

It's surprisingly durable!

Modded cars:

gently caress I can't choose just one :v:

(Also god drat jpg compression ruined that picture.)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I love the Coquette, just because I'm a Corvette fan, and I always look for a silver one if I can get it. Infernuses are always nice too. Inferni?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Vanilla cars: SabreGT all around, but if I know that things are gonna get interesting, I'll take a Futo GT.

It's surprisingly durable!

Modded cars:

gently caress I can't choose just one :v:

(Also god drat jpg compression ruined that picture.)
Those models look really great. Do you happen to have a list of the models you've installed?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

csidle posted:

Yes. Great car for fast driving. Probably my favourite, although I prefer the Sultan XS over the stock. Are there no mods to remedy the car-spawn thing? :(

Get the simple native trainer and just spawn the car you want; its not really cheating if you only use it for that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

csidle posted:

Those models look really great. Do you happen to have a list of the models you've installed?

Buick GNX
Chevrolet Chevelle
'69 Charger
'06 Charger (Replaces civilian Buffalo in TBOGT, but you could use it for any four door you want in the regular game)
Ferrari F430 Scuderia
Mercedes SLS

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Give me all the muscle cars in GTA IV

They are the best.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

organburner posted:

Give me all the muscle cars in GTA IV

They are the best.

Right on. Also like the rustbuckets though.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
I was disappointed to discover that you can't take a beater through the Pay and Spray and give it a fresh coat of paint. The guy just says "not much I can do with this one" or something to that effect and it comes out looking just as lovely as it did before, if slightly cleaner.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there any way to fix the horrible building and texture pop-in? I tried lowering the view and detail distance to no avail, I'll still often be turning down a road that has gray soup for a texture. Running a E8400 with 4GB RAM and a 5750 1GB.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Lee Van Queef posted:

I was disappointed to discover that you can't take a beater through the Pay and Spray and give it a fresh coat of paint. The guy just says "not much I can do with this one" or something to that effect and it comes out looking just as lovely as it did before, if slightly cleaner.

Yes, that struck me as weird too.

SplitSoul posted:

Is there any way to fix the horrible building and texture pop-in? I tried lowering the view and detail distance to no avail, I'll still often be turning down a road that has gray soup for a texture. Running a E8400 with 4GB RAM and a 5750 1GB.

It happens on the Xbox too, even on a clean and otherwise empty system. The 2 expansions are worse; concrete dividers, trees, flowerbeds, etc. popping up just before you crash into them, and sometimes all textures in the Booth tunnel are gone, so you're sort of floating through disconnected 3D panels.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Underflow posted:

It happens on the Xbox too, even on a clean and otherwise empty system. The 2 expansions are worse; concrete dividers, trees, flowerbeds, etc. popping up just before you crash into them, and sometimes all textures in the Booth tunnel are gone, so you're sort of floating through disconnected 3D panels.
I finished the Gold Star achievement recently in TBoGT and this problem was somewhat frustrating. You'd be going for the fastest possible time in a lot of missions, so you're typically driving around Liberty City as fast as humanly possible. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases it doesn't give the game enough time to render all sorts of obstructions until after you've already smashed into them trying to take what looked like a very inviting shortcut.

romantic thug
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tewratomeh posted:

Apparently it's an unpopular opinion, but I think Roman is the best GTA IV friend. By the end of the game I'd spent more time with him doing random activities than any of the others. I just couldn't say no to the guy... by the end of the game he actually kind of felt like a cousin.

This. I don't have any cousins IRL, but the emotional bond with Niko that I felt while playing GTA IV was pretty special.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

A Quiet American posted:

I finished the Gold Star achievement recently in TBoGT and this problem was somewhat frustrating. You'd be going for the fastest possible time in a lot of missions, so you're typically driving around Liberty City as fast as humanly possible. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases it doesn't give the game enough time to render all sorts of obstructions until after you've already smashed into them trying to take what looked like a very inviting shortcut.

Some say cleaning the Xbox's disk cache and installing the game to be first on the drive should help, but that only seems to give minimal improvement. Others say it's better to play straight from the ROM, but apparently that may increase the risk of a RRoD. Pretty disappointing, 'cause driving in the IV instalments is great fun, I think.

For that Gold Star, do you have to drive the vehicles chosen for you when you start the mission segment or is it possible to grab another?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

So, what's everyone's favorite car in GTA4? I'm partial to the Sabre GT. It's semi-common, tough enough to survive crashes, and has a sweet exhaust note to boot.

My favorite was the one that looked like a Chrysler 300M. I'm terrible at driving and that car had the best balance of speed, durability and handling to me. Plus the black ones paired with a suit were the perfect look for a hitman :c00l:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

My favorite was the one that looked like a Chrysler 300M. I'm terrible at driving and that car had the best balance of speed, durability and handling to me. Plus the black ones paired with a suit were the perfect look for a hitman :c00l:

That would be the PMP600.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wait, what the hell? I hated the Washington with a passion. :stare: Please inform me of its redeeming qualities.

The Blista Compact is good, and the rusty junkers were cool just because they weren't really as bad as they looked. I very much like the Miami from TBOGT also.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

nerdly_dood posted:

Wait, what the hell? I hated the Washington with a passion. :stare: Please inform me of its redeeming qualities.

Only the Washington and the Cognoscenti make this soothing flop-flop rubber on rough road sound in the Alderney port district. Quiet Self Actualization track on the stereo and you almost automatically reach for the cooler of booze on the backseat.

quote:

The Blista Compact is good, and the rusty junkers were cool just because they weren't really as bad as they looked. I very much like the Miami from TBOGT also.

Which one's the Miami? Can't seem to find it.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma

Underflow posted:

Which one's the Miami? Can't seem to find it.

There's no car called the Miami; he's probably thinking of the Tampa, the two-door muscle droptop with go-faster stripes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I was so bummed that your car delivery buddy in Gay Tony didn't get a Tampa on his list :( Yes these supercars are nice and all but do you have something more classic looking? No? Oh, ok :smith:

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

Taxi. I realized I was playing too much GTA4 when I saw a Taxi in real life and thought about hijacking the passenger compartment so I could teleport to my destination. After that, Banshee

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Fudge for Hands posted:

Taxi. I realized I was playing too much GTA4 when I saw a Taxi in real life and thought about hijacking the passenger compartment so I could teleport to my destination. After that, Banshee
I've had that reaction seeing a Harley and a fire truck. I don't even like real life Harleys, it's just a nearby Freeway is usually the best choice available.

I started watching some speed runs from Speed Demos Archive. GTA is an interesting challenge. The traffic and the spawn randomness is such an uncertain factor that it has to be incredibly frustrating to even attempt. Since there's been a lot of discussion about annoying travel in San Andreas, I figured I'd link this guy's Badlands runs. He's a wizard with a Sanchez.
video 1
video 2

His San Andreas run and his VC single-segment have commentary tracks if you download the videos. He goes into minute detail about how he selects paths, parts that are frustrating and his :spergin: level of perfectionism. The San Fierro Jizzy missions he said took him three months and hundreds of tries.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Lee Van Queef posted:

There's no car called the Miami; he's probably thinking of the Tampa, the two-door muscle droptop with go-faster stripes.
Miami, Tampa, Tallahassee, somewhere in Florida. Whatever it is, it's a good car.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

awesome-express posted:

Just remembered how fun MTA SA can be. I shall provide no further descriptions as these images speak for themselves:

Sometimes pictures like this make me want to rethink being so stubborn about sticking to SA-MP. But apparently I find roleplaying (In the loosest sense of the word fathomable) with large numbers of angry prepubescents and/or Eastern Europeans 'fun'.
One day I will find a new great server. There was Godfather RP (The original when the mode was exclusive), Spark's Protect the Prime Minister (Again an 'official' server for a mode) and Public Enemy Number 1 or something like that - a kind of precursor to Cops n Robbers. Ah 2007, I miss you.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
I have never had more fun with a multiplayer game than I did with the old Goon Theft Auto freeroam servers. I wish someone would revive them again, but I don't even know whether the source still exists or who has it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Huh... so apparently they made massive improvements to Multi Theft Auto, and people have made all kinds of crazy game modes and such through the magic of scripting. Here I was wading through Brazilians and poop-sockers on lovely role-playing servers hosted in Yugoslavia. I'll have to give MTA another shot, if anybody is still playing it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I was going to take a picture of some of my car mods like the other goon but I just decided to make a video of one of my favorites.

Nissan 200SX

Linked because you should watch it in HD. :l

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I don't know where you can find it; but this is the best car mod for gta4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOEnbJYn1Bc

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So is the DLC for gta4 worth it? Do they actually expand the base game and improve it or is it just slapped on mission packs and some new vehicles?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

So is the DLC for gta4 worth it? Do they actually expand the base game and improve it or is it just slapped on mission packs and some new vehicles?

I thought GTA4 was a pile of poo poo but loved the DLC. They're actual expansion packs that manage to have more mission variation, weapons, side missions and a better story than the vanilla game. Should take you around 25 hours to finish both of them.
Just remember to play The Lost and Damned first then The Ballad of Gay Tony.

They're worth it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Bobnumerotres posted:

The two of them add so much to the core GTA4 experience that I can't stress enough how much I suggest them, even if you weren't partial towards GTA4 proper.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

The DLC together are more or less the next full GTA release, hell they are both individually longer then a lot of newly released games nowadays.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Bobnumerotres posted:

TLAD and BoGT are to GTA4 as San Andreas and Vice city are to GTA3. By that I mean go buy them right now.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I hope the next game is set in like 2025 or something, with electric cars and hologram TV channels and poo poo.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I hope it's going to be a '60s/'70s setting with muscle cars and boatsized sedans.

Plainrides from a Chicago-like city to the SW states, blasting along dusty highways in a Shelby Cobra or Dodge Charger, elaborate drugdeals, flying in product from Mexico, escaping to Tijuana, corrupt cops, weird hippie communes and cults, Vietnam, race riots, undercover cop work, and so on.

Multiple branching storylines depending on choices you make, characters getting older and put in situations at different times of their lives, stretches in prison and mental hospitals; the lot on 100+ DVDs so the game basically never ends or at least never plays out the same way.

GTA Forever: Play Till You Die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
Do you think they'll loving fix the cover shooting system in the next one? It's not that hard: you go in cover, left trigger to pop out and aim, right trigger to shoot either while aiming or to blindfire from cover while not aiming. Instead in GTA4 the left trigger just sort of makes Niko poke his head up, and the right trigger makes him pop out and shoot (which moves the reticule). Please God tell me someone else found this as annoying as I did. loving clunky-rear end wordy game why won't you let me love you?

• Locked thread