Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

$350 is a good deal for a set of stock 17" WRX OEM wheels with only some minor rash on 1 wheel, right?
Sounds like an OK deal to me, assuming they balance right and haven't been repaired (check the inside of the spokes). Mine are fairly lightweight but not as good as my UK17s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GETCHA PAPER UP
Apr 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Found a 2011 WRB sedan in transit to a dealer 2 hours away. Putting down a deposit on it tomorrow morning, should have it late this month. Thanks for the help y'all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Guy on LGT.com is insisting that a "top" subaru shop is saying his 100psi compression is healthy
What 100psi might look like

The one with less material missing is my 100PSI one I think (that's cyl2 right jamal?)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sanchez posted:

I have read on NASIOC (yeah yeah) that dealers are unable to order any more 11 WRXes due to the earthquake and will simply stop selling them until the 2012 is available.

I ran this by my wife. They are only able to order a Subaru made in America. (Outback, Legacy, and Tribeca) If a customer wants any other model, they have to do a dealer swap to get one, but no dealer will do swaps for the stuff made in Japan anymore.

Edit: The Parts shortage, if it happens, won't be for a few months.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

daslog posted:

I ran this by my wife. They are only able to order a Subaru made in America. (Outback, Legacy, and Tribeca) If a customer wants any other model, they have to do a dealer swap to get one, but no dealer will do swaps for the stuff made in Japan anymore.

Edit: The Parts shortage, if it happens, won't be for a few months.
I've heard they're throttling production in Indiana as well, though nothing near Japan.

Worm?
Sep 24, 2004
Still been looking around at bugeyes.

Notice any red flags? http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/2367580974.html

:science:

:roflolmao:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
beside it having a mismatched wheel...?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Aside from that wheel it looks like a pretty reasonably clean 02 bugeye.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

CharlesM posted:

beside it having a mismatched wheel...?

Oh wow I really suck at this game.

So I washed my car today. Took the dog to the store, and right after I got out, he pissed all over one of my tires. :doom:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Worm? posted:

Still been looking around at bugeyes.

Notice any red flags? http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/2367580974.html

:science:

:roflolmao:

Someone else already mentioned the front right wheel. The bumper/hood alignment on the corner with the wrong wheel looks like poo poo too, so it's surely been crashed into something which broke the wheel and I wouldn't doubt there's some residual frame/suspension/body damage on that corner too. I'd keep looking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Lowclock posted:

Someone else already mentioned the front right wheel. The bumper/hood alignment on the corner with the wrong wheel looks like poo poo too, so it's surely been crashed into something which broke the wheel and I wouldn't doubt there's some residual frame/suspension/body damage on that corner too. I'd keep looking.
Yeah, I'd pass.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Might just be the photo but something looks weird on the bumper under the passenger side headlight, which might indicate that they cheaped out on trying to get the body to fit properly and the bumper is now sagging from gravity and vibration.

It also looks like they reused the grille part of the front end without repainting any damage done to it properly, so the paint is starting to flake off near where it was originally damaged.

You can get way better for $8k.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
also the passenger side headlight looks way more clear than the driver side light

annnnnd in other news RCE springs might finally arrive, my car will be slightly less rolly-polly and hopefully have a bit less wheelgap :allears:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

also the passenger side headlight looks way more clear than the driver side light

annnnnd in other news RCE springs might finally arrive, my car will be slightly less rolly-polly and hopefully have a bit less wheelgap :allears:

nice. I'm really happy with mine

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Can you cut up KYB GR-2's for Konis? I need some replacements and there's a good deal on a new set.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

group n mounts, killer b oil pickup, pistons, gears, and a fixed accessport. Differential's going to have to be overnight from japan it seems.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cobb sent the AP OBDII dongle back too, right?

Something something cusco diff something something racewars

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Are koni yellows my best option to make my car handle better and the ride more firm, I currently have sti pink springs on stock shocks, and a 20mm rear sway bar, on a 2005 wrx wagon.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
can I get a sucker check here? I took my 2005 Saabaru wrx in for a 60k mile tuneup (at 70k miles) This is the first time I've taken it to this shop and it's in a convenient location and comes highly recommended for a Subie specialty shop in Portland, OR.

The quote was $500 for the tuneup and then they recommended replacing the drive belts for ~$75 and replacing the rear brakepads and turning the rotors is $190... Are these reasonable estimates? Even if they're not it's too late for me to do anything about it now but it'd be good to know how this compares for the next time I need some service work done.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Wait, by drive belts do they mean timing belt? Even though thats not due, $75 is several (or at least a couple) hundred less than the cost of parts for that job.

mattmofob posted:

Are koni yellows my best option to make my car handle better and the ride more firm, I currently have sti pink springs on stock shocks, and a 20mm rear sway bar, on a 2005 wrx wagon.
Springs are for firm, not struts. Struts are for damping.
Also, it has been my experience that subarus don't want the ultra-firm ride all the JDM tyte kids want.
That said, Koni makes a good shock. I personally prefer Bilstiens though. Bilstiens at this price range are not externally adjustable though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

looks about right to me. the oem 60 service includes this:

oil
trans fluid
rear diff
coolant
spark plugs
brake fluid flush

and air filter and acc belts if necessary, plus an inspection.

500 is fair not including the brake fluid which we offer as an optional extra for $120. I would usually just charge for parts on adding the belts and filter but it seems that they're adding like 20min to the bill on top of parts which is reasonable.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

nm posted:

Cobb sent the AP OBDII dongle back too, right?

Something something cusco diff something something racewars

yes got everything and yes diff is coming overnight from japan. well, EMS which should be here next monday or tuesday and give us plenty of time (barely enough time) to get it done by the weekend.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 10, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

yes got everything and yes diff is coming overnight from japan. well, EMS which should be here next monday or tuesday and give us plenty of time to get it running by the weekend.
Sweet. Unfortunately the me who was a high school senior when FF came out will not shut up about overnight parts and racewars for the next two weeks. God, it is going to be unbearable, that guy's annoying.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

nm posted:

Sweet. Unfortunately the me who was a high school senior when FF came out will not shut up about overnight parts and racewars for the next two weeks. God, it is going to be unbearable, that guy's annoying.

sweet are you getting vtech added? :D

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

no, but we are putting on a full motec exhaust system.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

no, but we are putting on a full motec exhaust system.
I'm hiding my credit card from my high school self :)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Sometimes... just sometimes, I wish I'd gotten the completely irresponsible STi instead of the snowmobile Outback.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Dropped off my alloy control arms to get the whiteline bushings pressed in. Didn't want to have a moment like Safety Seat Switch did. :3:

Also dropped off the rear diff carrier to get the bushings pressed into the cradle.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

nm posted:

Guy on LGT.com is insisting that a "top" subaru shop is saying his 100psi compression is healthy
What 100psi might look like

The one with less material missing is my 100PSI one I think (that's cyl2 right jamal?)

jeez those guys on lgt are hopeless.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Dropped off my alloy control arms to get the whiteline bushings pressed in. Didn't want to have a moment like Safety Seat Switch did. :3:

I went ahead and ordered some Ask An Adult For Assistance. Hopefully they should be ready tomorrow!

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

Sometimes... just sometimes, I wish I'd gotten the completely irresponsible STi instead of the snowmobile Outback.
Sometimes I wish I hadn't bought such a nice car (2010 WRX... bought it brand new).

-- I curbed the wheel a few weeks back and almost cried like a little girl.
-- I'm constantly on the lookout for where I park, because it seems my car attracts people who park super close and smash other cars with their doors, or 'rub' their way into a parking spot.
-- I'm also terrified of having to park it downtown where hobos or teenagers or whatever might touch it and or gently caress with it.

I didn't used to be this up tight about my car. :(

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

syphon posted:

Sometimes I wish I hadn't bought such a nice car (2010 WRX... bought it brand new).

-- I'm constantly on the lookout for where I park, because it seems my car attracts people who park super close and smash other cars with their doors, or 'rub' their way into a parking spot.
-- I'm also terrified of having to park it downtown where hobos or teenagers or whatever might touch it and or gently caress with it.

Where as I rip fenders off my RS racing or drive it into ditches and don't give a gently caress :smug:

Beaters4lyfe

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Where as I rip fenders off my RS racing or drive it into ditches and don't give a gently caress :smug:

Beaters4lyfe

:hfive:

Washing the impreza? What is that?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

jeez those guys on lgt are hopeless.

Ok, it turns out that his shop is a like 10,000 feet or something.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

syphon posted:

Take it to a rallycross, you'll have tons of fun and then stop caring.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've got a 2096 CEL code. It's related to the front O2 sensor. I have nearly 100k miles on the car. Should I replace the sensor? I've also heard about cleaning the MAF might help.

Any ideas/tips?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I installed Whiteline KDT903 (rear diff inserts) last night on the car and realized they're only for one side. Is this on purpose, or should I have bought two kits?

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
My '99 Outback Sport has been paid off for a couple years and I've put basically zero money into maintenance. I bought it in '05 with 100k miles on it. Now it's got 150k miles, it's idling a little rough, and the AC is dead.

I took it in to my local shop (that I trust) and told them to look it over from front to back, with an eye toward longevity, even though the car is starting to rust out. Here's what they say:

- Recharge the AC: $110

- Tune-up to fix the worn-out plugs and the wire that's shorting out on the block intermittently: $254

- It needs pads, rotors/drums, and cylinders all the way around. Not too surprising; I haven't done anything with the brakes since I've owned it: $550

- They strongly recommend replacing the timing belt. Not a bad idea since I have no idea if it was ever done in the first place: $325

So I'm looking at about $1300 when all is said and done. Is it just me or does that seem excessive, especially the price of the tune-up?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh hey the fuel filter is utterly disgusting. I dont get why Subaru put the filter in the tank, bitch to change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

infrared35 posted:

So I'm looking at about $1300 when all is said and done. Is it just me or does that seem excessive, especially the price of the tune-up?

Those seem like great prices to me, especially the $325 timing belt. Brakes are on the high side perhaps but I'm sure it'll be a miserable job for someone.