Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
He's shopping for Audis, he probably already knows that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Black88GTA posted:

This looks loving awesome for $575. Oh, to have more space, time, and money...

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2334363377.html

That thing looks like a heap and would only be worth parts value. The taillights aren't even correct for 83. :wtc:

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Tongsy posted:

I am tempted to go look at this. Any reasons this is a bad idea?

car ad posted:

Owned for five years... over 10k in maintenance... Things like cruise, a/c and other small items not working.

I think I've made my point...

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Tongsy posted:

Can't tell if this is actual gold or not.... http://ottawa.en.craigslist.ca/cto/2363031927.html

I had the sedan version of this for my first car. It was a colossal pile of poo poo.

Parts were hard to get and expensive, and it liked to self destruct regularly with absolutely no notice.

Stay far, far away.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Tongsy posted:

Can't tell if this is actual gold or not.... http://ottawa.en.craigslist.ca/cto/2363031927.html

It will break down every two months, costing you $500-1000 each time. I wouldn't take that car if it were free.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Up until recently, I thought my area was immune to this sort of thing. Oh well...

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Jay-Zeus posted:

Up until recently, I thought my area was immune to this sort of thing. Oh well...

How much NAWS does it have?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
5 large for a 14-year-old J-body? Sign me up! Why yes I did have a lobotomy last week, how did you know?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Only posting this because why does it say 5-cylinder?

98 Volvo V70 Tuner Wagon - $4200 (Indian Harbour Beach)
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/2368503654.html

Otherwise want nothing to do with the thing.

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m

The Scientist posted:

Only posting this because why does it say 5-cylinder?

98 Volvo V70 Tuner Wagon - $4200 (Indian Harbour Beach)
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/2368503654.html

Otherwise want nothing to do with the thing.

Because Volvos of this generation actually WERE 5 cylinder.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Is that right? What orientation? Like, inline-5? How bizarre, I don't even want to begin thinking about what the timing is like.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Scientist posted:

Is that right? What orientation? Like, inline-5? How bizarre, I don't even want to begin thinking about what the timing is like.

Probably very similar to Audis and VWs with I5 engines.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Scientist posted:

And most kei-cars, some motorcycles, and the Geo Metro have 3 cylinders.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Scientist posted:

You can still get cars like the C30 with a "T5." The T stands for turbo, guess what the 5 stands for :)

Correction: Apparently the only engine the C30 comes with is the T5, in the US anyway.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Probably very similar to Audis and VWs with I5 engines.

Acura also put out an inline 5, that completely boggled my mind when I went to check the oil for my dad. We'd had this car in the family for ~10 years and I'd never noticed, had to count the plug wires three times to make sure I wasn't losing it.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Boat posted:

Acura also put out an inline 5, that completely boggled my mind when I went to check the oil for my dad. We'd had this car in the family for ~10 years and I'd never noticed, had to count the plug wires three times to make sure I wasn't losing it.

I didn't notice this until they stopped making them, but the early Acura sedan with a 5-cylinder engine had a 5-letter name (Vigor) and the one with the 6-cylinder engine had a 6-letter name (Legend).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Scientist posted:

Is that right? What orientation?

Transverse. They even packed in an I-6 that way.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

DeNofa posted:

You can still get cars like the C30 with a "T5." The T stands for turbo, guess what the 5 stands for :)

Correction: Apparently the only engine the C30 comes with is the T5, in the US anyway.

The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon can be had with a 5-cylinder as well.

exhaust heat
Dec 23, 2010

by Lowtax

el topo posted:

I didn't notice this until they stopped making them, but the early Acura sedan with a 5-cylinder engine had a 5-letter name (Vigor) and the one with the 6-cylinder engine had a 6-letter name (Legend).

I really liked the Vigor. Too bad nobody else did. Definitely an underappriciated car.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

el topo posted:

Yeah, and the integra had a 7 cylinder engine.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i know this is next to impossible, but was anyone ever dumb enough to attempt a front transverse engine going to a rear drive?

I know volvo did a reversed longitudinal for no reason. Just curious.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I know volvo did a reversed longitudinal for no reason. Just curious.

You're thinking of a Saab 900.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

scapulataf posted:

This would be amazing.

madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!

scapulataf posted:

I heard that the NSX had 3 cylinders because Honda didn't want to make a V8.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

madattheinternet posted:

I heard that the NSX had 3 cylinders because Honda didn't want to make a V8.

They were really BIG cylinders.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

i know this is next to impossible, but was anyone ever dumb enough to attempt a front transverse engine going to a rear drive?

Honda's S600 was chain drive to the rear wheels, but even there, they mounted the engine longitudinally. Probably because they didn't want a large offset and an even longer chain.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^
well, gently caress.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Lamborghini-Espada-/200604076796?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb4ef4afc

Now that's great and all (if it had an engine....), but check the description:

GIRLY MAN WARNING

We do not sell to girly men, or lazy rah-tard’s. Not to be mean (as I am accused by my wife), but this car is not for the timid or weak. [/b](Girly man screening test: hold hand in front of face, make fist, look at tips of fingernails, are they clean and smooth like a young girl? If yes, don't bid. )[/b] (Lazy rah-tard’ screening test: You have a flat tire with your lady, on the side of the interstate: Do you stand back and gaze in wonderment? If yes, don't bid) It is better to be harsh up front than have someone disappointed after the sale. Experience indicates that happy buyers of these type cars have type "A" personalities, with a "get it done yesterday" attitude.

This is awesome.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Why the gently caress do they have it on dune buggy tires?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Rocket Salad posted:

Because a type A personality will just throw any old loving tires on it and DRIVE it...loving yesterday, while a girly man will wait for Tire Rack to deliver.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

The Rocket Salad posted:

More importantly, what magic did they use to mount them on the "four original knock off wheels"... :psypop:

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I would love to see them try to enforce that $5,000 penalty in court.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Ford did!

Read yourself up some T-drive! http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-ford/FMC-engines/t-drive/default.htm

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

salt the fries! posted:

well, gently caress.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Lamborghini-Espada-/200604076796?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb4ef4afc

Now that's great and all (if it had an engine....), but check the description:

GIRLY MAN WARNING

We do not sell to girly men, or lazy rah-tard’s. Not to be mean (as I am accused by my wife), but this car is not for the timid or weak. [/b](Girly man screening test: hold hand in front of face, make fist, look at tips of fingernails, are they clean and smooth like a young girl? If yes, don't bid. )[/b] (Lazy rah-tard’ screening test: You have a flat tire with your lady, on the side of the interstate: Do you stand back and gaze in wonderment? If yes, don't bid) It is better to be harsh up front than have someone disappointed after the sale. Experience indicates that happy buyers of these type cars have type "A" personalities, with a "get it done yesterday" attitude.

This is awesome.

I want to buy this and shove that 401 I'm buying from MetalClawWolf in it.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Only $17,000 for a 25 year old Cadillac? Whats more, its powered by what might be the second least reliable engine to power a Cadillac? Tell me more about this fine automobile.

Also of note, the rear end is stock, just in case you thought the Aunt was going to throw on a Chevy 12 bolt and some ladder bars onto this FWD car.

In fairness, it only has 29K miles, but still. http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2310386989.html

some dude with very high hopes posted:

This is a great car! My aunt only drove it to church, store and back home. This car is very clean and runs great. Offered at $17,000 OBO-
Blue Book Value: $31,000.

Features include:

ENGINE: 4100 V8
Body Style: Hardtop

TRANSMISSION: Auto
EXTERIOR COLOR: Powder Blue

MILEAGE: 29,363 (actual)
INTERIOR COLOR: Navy blue

REAR END: Stock
GEARS: Stock

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

VideoTapir posted:

Because a type A personality will just throw any old loving tires on it and DRIVE it...loving yesterday, while a girly man will wait for Tire Rack to deliver.
While a man with enough money to take care of an Espada will probably overnight decent rubber from Tire Rack :chord:

Those shits he has on there now - the shiny balloons half covered in spray paint - look like they're as old as the car.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Tai-Pan posted:

Only $17,000 for a 25 year old Cadillac? Whats more, its powered by what might be the second least reliable engine to power a Cadillac? Tell me more about this fine automobile.

I live within pretty easy driving distance of this guy. I almost feel like going to look at this car just to mess with the seller.

"Blue Book Value $31,000" my rear end. Maybe in Monopoly money.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

1985 is too old, but this is my best try to get the poor seller some value:
http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/cadillac/eldorado/1992/private-party-value/pricing-report?condition=excellent&id=11500&mileage=1

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But the 1985 model is a collector's item.

(Or maybe a hoarder's item. Whatever.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tai-Pan posted:

REAR END: Stock

Maybe that's why it's so expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Rocket Salad posted:

While a man with enough money to take care of an Espada will probably overnight decent rubber from Tire Rack :chord:

While this guy is out pulling mad tail in his Lambo while Mr. Beta waits 24 hours and misses out on the action.