Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

OK! Over the last month or so I've been transferring all of the tips to a NEW wiki.

The old one was running on PMwiki, which I liked because it used flat files.

But I decided to switch to MediaWiki (Which is what Wikipedia runs on).

So what reasons did I have for doing all that work?

1) Category support means that I can add a tag to every article and it'll automatically generate a game list for me.

2) It's prettier.

That's pretty much it.

Anyway, the web address is the same: http://www.beforeiplay.com

Check there before you ask for tips in the thread, since otherwise you're being redundant.

Anyone who had access to the old wiki for editing etc. will no longer have access to the new wiki. Email me again if you want to contribute something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any tips for Kings Bounty: Armored Princess? I've played the first one, but I got stuck about half way through. I started facing lots of enemy dragons, and I was suffering so many losses with each fight that the game got too tedious to continue...

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Whats a good thing to know before tackling the Splinter Cell series? I picked up the entire catalog when it was on Steam earlier, tried the original, hadn't aged well, tried the last one, fun action game, not really a stealth game anymore.

Which one has good stealth, but still has fun gameplay?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Everyone here is going to tell you to get Chaos Theory. And they will be right.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Centipeed posted:

OK! Over the last month or so I've been transferring all of the tips to a NEW wiki.

The old one was running on PMwiki, which I liked because it used flat files.

But I decided to switch to MediaWiki (Which is what Wikipedia runs on).

So what reasons did I have for doing all that work?

1) Category support means that I can add a tag to every article and it'll automatically generate a game list for me.

2) It's prettier.

That's pretty much it.

Anyway, the web address is the same: http://www.beforeiplay.com

Check there before you ask for tips in the thread, since otherwise you're being redundant.

Anyone who had access to the old wiki for editing etc. will no longer have access to the new wiki. Email me again if you want to contribute something.

Thank you! Having such an easy way to look up hints has encouraged me to go back and actually play some of these games I ignored the first time. Badass domain name too, I was sitting around the other day trying to remember it without having to come all the way back to this thread and I guessed it on the third try.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Anyone have any tips for Kings Bounty: Armored Princess?

To a large extent, it depends both on your class and on the artifacts and decent stacks of monsters you find in-game. Where possible, kite things as much as you can to get access to more resources and fame early, and try to complete the fame-boosting trophies and get the Glory skill as soon as possible. Knowing what class you are would probably help, but generally speaking you want to experiment and switch between whatever troop types are in greatest supply at a given time.

Have at least one high-HP, high-defence unit to block chokepoints - probably paladins, since their innate ability to ressurrect is very useful throughout the game.

Spam your dragon as much as possible early on to bolster his level, especially if you're a warrior. Paladin and mage will have a tougher time of things at the start but mage will start to become the best class around once you have Dual Cast under your belt. Paladin... I didn't ever really see much improvement, and would bet it's the worst class.

Slow and Haste remain kings of the spell list. Traps are also pretty handy to force people to stop movement at choke points, but expect to really have to work to get the trophy for them.

Late-game wise, if you can complete the Princess set, you have basically won the game: it provides a massive attack and morale boost for female troops (fairies and demonesses) and it stacks with he female troop-boosting companion. Since their leadership cost is so low it suddenly becomes possible to have three stacks of thousands of fairies, each with somewhere in the range of 40-60 strength, for a ridiculous set of glass cannons.

One thing I always forget is that any castle you actively take over automatically includes a couple of slots for you to store troops in.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Everyone here is going to tell you to get Chaos Theory. And they will be right.

Yep, Chaos Theory is the only correct answer. If you thought the first game didn't age well, you won't like Pandora Tomorrow either, it's pretty much the same in terms of gameplay. Chaos Theory makes a lot of gameplay and graphic improvements while still maintaining the stealth elements that the game started with. Double Agent (the xbox360/PC version anyway) tries to change things a little, make the game a little more fast-paced and action packed while still keeping the core gameplay of Chaos Theory and it just...doesn't really work for some reason. It also has a really stupid plot because they tried to make Sam all gritty and mean instead of charismatic like he'd always been before. You want Chaos Theory.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Tips for Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit?

Last racing game I played was Burnout: Paradise, wondering how different this game is.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
You want Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, if nothing else for the improved save system over the previous titles in an unforgiving stealth series.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Gerblyn posted:

Anyone have any tips for Kings Bounty: Armored Princess? I've played the first one, but I got stuck about half way through. I started facing lots of enemy dragons, and I was suffering so many losses with each fight that the game got too tedious to continue...
After clearing a couple of islands, you may get stuck with seemingly everything everywhere being massively stronger than you.

When that happens, remember that there are big dwarven lands with reasonable enemies on the other side of that huge bridge in Verona, so that's where you need to push.

Demonologists are the best units in the game, hire and take care of them whenever you find them. They can summon cannon fodder (best ability in the game), resurrect troops (another best ability in the game), and they're even classified as Neutral so they can fit any lineup without penalties.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

Thank you! Having such an easy way to look up hints has encouraged me to go back and actually play some of these games I ignored the first time. Badass domain name too, I was sitting around the other day trying to remember it without having to come all the way back to this thread and I guessed it on the third try.

The domain name was not my idea! Quarex suggested it in this post.

And I would say that you can find the address to the wiki at the end of the OP, if you ever forget it again, but it turns out there's still an old address there.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Alter Ego posted:

Anyone have suggestions for Darkspore? I just started playing.

The first three chapters (1-1 through 3-4) are dead easy, but that's because they're essentially the tutorial. Once you hit 4-1, you're going to have to actually start grinding for better equipment and the going will be slower. However, chaining the hardest few levels you can do reliably will grant you good rewards upon returning to the ship.

Weapons are by far the most important item of each hero's equipment. Use the highest-damage one you've got, and don't be leery of buying weapons from the store if they're a step up. DNA will be a little tight when you're starting off, but once you start to replay levels, you'll soon have more to play around with.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Can I just say, for posterity's sake, that I am super-excited for the day when someone asks seriously in this thread "what should I know before I play Duke Nukem Forever?"

Gerblyn posted:

I suppose using the Baby Dragon to solve all your problems might not be much advice (and wait a minute, you are in the middle! This is for BEFORE YOU PLAY!#$!#$!), and maybe the Baby Dragon got jacked up in Crossworlds, I would not know as I never played Armored Princess as a stand-alone. But seriously, that thing would take out anywhere between 1/3 to 100% of the enemies I encountered depending on relative level (dragon dive/awaken/dragon dive) before the fight even got going most of the time.

Oh, someone else already answered this. But if you never built up your dragon by incessantly using dragon dive every single fight at the beginning of the game, it may be hard to do so now--but you can still try to get mana/rage-boosting items/potions/et cetera and go crazy using it now to try to make up for lost time.

Centipeed posted:

The domain name was not my idea! Quarex suggested it in this post.
:911: (in a good way)

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Quarex posted:

:911: (in a good way)

I'm English, so that emoticon only works if you feel patriotic after exporting your domain name ideas to the Brits.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I'm English, so that emoticon only works if you feel patriotic after exporting your domain name ideas to the Brits.

Well, you're already drinking deep of our culture. I'd say it's a victory.

Yes I know we've swallowed celebrity TV from you guys.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Just started up Suikoden 2, about an hour into it and I was wondering if anyone had some tips or whatnot?

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.

mcvey posted:

Just started up Suikoden 2, about an hour into it and I was wondering if anyone had some tips or whatnot?

On this same note, should one have a perfect Suikoden 1 save before beginning this game, as to make sure to get the cross-over characters? Is it worth it?

I'm just about to start Grim Grimoire or possibly Odin Sphere, because I figure I'd just catch up on some ps2 games I missed. Anything I should know, especially as I don't have the manuals for either?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Herobotic posted:

On this same note, should one have a perfect Suikoden 1 save before beginning this game, as to make sure to get the cross-over characters? Is it worth it?

You don't need a perfect save, just a complete one. Just use whatever you've got, but do use something.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Herobotic posted:

I'm just about to start Grim Grimoire or possibly Odin Sphere, because I figure I'd just catch up on some ps2 games I missed. Anything I should know, especially as I don't have the manuals for either?

Doesn't help you now I'm sure, but the European release of Odin Sphere fixed all of the slow down issues, and can be run in 60Hz.

The main thing about Odin Sphere is to not try to treat it like a hyper active action game, try to be a little slow and deliberate and be aware of enemy attacks and how to avoid them.

Likewise I recommend playing on Hard mode as it makes the gameplay feel a lot better balanced and more challenging overall. You can change it on the fly anyway, so if it becomes a big issue you can always turn it down.

If you end up having a lot of trouble with bosses with Mercedes, make some more Unlimited Power potions.

That's pretty much it really, don't really need to know much going into the game.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm starting Final Fantasy 6, and I've read through the tips on the wiki, but I'm wondering if there are any ultimate weapons / awesome relics that are missable, that I really should get?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gonna have another go at Red Dead Redemption, anyone have any advice to offer? (Besides "don't shoot Nigel West Dickens even though you really really want to")

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 7, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ledneh posted:

Gonna have another go at Red Dead Redemption, anyone have any advice to offer? (Besides "don't shoot Nigel West Dickens even though you really really want to")

There are two missions that end with you automatically on your horse. 1) After riding a raft to Mexico. 2) After raiding a fortress in the snowy mountains you'll be told to go to a ranch.

Ride to the next location after these missions and don't get off your loving horse.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Duels are a good way to get Honor if you can shoot the guns out of people's hands. If you aim right it only takes one shot.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ledneh posted:

• Do Missions for Bonnie first, at least until you get the lasso.
  • If you have a choice, take the non-lethal option for more fame/honour.
  • The good honour rewards are better then the negative ones

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Centipeed posted:

HAhahahah. Well, that is awesome, since I was just trying to say generally that I was touched by the whole exchange. Not that I demanded vengeance for my country.

Perhaps we can still find a different good metaphor for the whole thing, where America feels proud of its tiny contribution to an immense project.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

Ledneh posted:

The Ambient Challenges (Master Hunter, Sharpshooter, Treasure Hunter, and Survivalist) are a fun and easy way to get Fame. They have some of the best rewards in the game attached to them, and are all pretty intuitive. Buy Survivalist Maps for the Survivalist Challenges, it will make them so much easier it is not even funny.

Don't buy any guns until late in the game, you'll eventually find most of them in Gang Hideouts (and get a big discount depending on which honor path you take.)

Treasure Hunting will get you a lot of money if you follow it through. However, money won't be a problem for you by the time you can finish the Treasure Hunter Challenges. Doing Nightwatch and Bounty missions the non-violent way will get you all the money you need.

Hanging on to some of the flowers you pick is a good idea, there are two Stranger missions that require you to collect them. (They are also not worth very much money.)

If you are really low on cash, there is a high stakes game of Liar's Dice that you can play during a certain Stranger's Mission. Even though you only need to win once, you can play it as many times as you want.

The Improved Campsite is also not really worth the money, so don't worry about buying it.

The only three horses worth using are the three that you can't buy deeds for right away, Bonnie's missions will give you one of these horses for free. If you keep it alive and only use it for twenty missions, you get an achievement.

You can complete the Master Hunter Challenge up to level five in New Austin and get access to the Buffalo Rifle very early, it's a pretty useful gun.

Thrillhou fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 7, 2011

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

Centipeed posted:

I'm starting Final Fantasy 6, and I've read through the tips on the wiki, but I'm wondering if there are any ultimate weapons / awesome relics that are missable, that I really should get?

It's probably already on the wiki in some form, but here's the most important thing: Wait for Shadow

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

al-azad posted:

There are two missions that end with you automatically on your horse. 1) After riding a raft to Mexico. 2) After raiding a fortress in the snowy mountains you'll be told to go to a ranch.

Ride to the next location after these missions and don't get off your loving horse.

Can you explain to me in spoiler tags what you're talking about? I beat that game recently but I don't quite remember what you mean or if I missed something.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Stelas posted:

<King's Bounty>

Is it true that the previous games are "included" in the later ones?

HicRic
Dec 4, 2006
To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.

OilSlick posted:

Can you explain to me in spoiler tags what you're talking about? I beat that game recently but I don't quite remember what you mean or if I missed something.

It's not really a spoiler - the game plays unique songs at those points, but if you jump off the horse it cuts short.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Centipeed posted:

There's an Atma Weapon/Ultima Weapon in the Sealed Cave that's missable, make sure to check around the area after you miss a switch.

Wait for Shadow.

Early in the game, you're offered a choice between Mog and a relic. You can recruit Mog later in the game, but you'll miss the opportunity to get one of his Dances, so if you care about that, that's probably what you should go for. The relic's nice, but you can get more later.

When you go through the dungeon between Figaro Castle and South Figaro, don't pick up any chests. Check back way later in the game and all the items will have upgraded. Nothing important, but it's a neat way to get some useful items.

I'd recommend not doing any of the super power-gamey stuff your first time through the game, it's not a hard game to begin with and if you powergame pretty much at all, it'll be a cakewalk.

Cool stuff in the second half of the game that you might not know about your first time through:

Take a nap in Doma Castle with Cyan in your party
Check the wall behind Mog after you recruit him in the second half of the game
Go to the cabin with the crazy old dude with Gau in your party
Sleep in inns a bunch of times with Shadow in your party
Get eaten by a Zone Eater
Bring Mog with you when you check out the area behind the frozen esper
Move between continents with Figaro Castle at least once

Edit: there really aren't a whole lot of important missable things and what there is is pretty much covered by the wiki. Just enjoy the game, man, it's really good

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Raccoon Leaf posted:

It's probably already on the wiki in some form, but here's the most important thing: Wait for Shadow

When there's a timer and you can either leave or wait? Yeah, I had planned to do that. And it's in the wiki.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Is it true that the previous games are "included" in the later ones?

Not quite. You've got Legends, Armored Princess, and Crossworlds. Legends is a standalone game, AP is a standalone game, and Crossworlds is an expansion that modifies Armored Princess' main campaign and adds a couple of smaller, new campaigns, but it does require AP installed to play it. If you preordered Crossworlds you did get Legends for free, but that offer's expired now.

Steam offers AP + Crossworlds as a combined package, though, and also offers the 'Platinum Edition' with all three games.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Centipeed posted:

There's a really useful artifact you can only get (from what I can tell) in the Colosseum. In the 2nd half of the game, there's an island in the northwest. On that island are some strong enemies (hint: dinosaurs) that drop Imp Halberds. Bet one of these in the Colosseum and keep betting your reward until you get the Shoes (there are a couple of other rare items along the way; the Merit Badge is an interim prize and the Economizer is an even rarer drop in that forest)

There's also a really powerful item for one of your characters hidden in Zozo that can only be found there. The key to the puzzle is to remember that everyone in that town is a liar.

And if you're playing the GBA remake, each character has an "ultimate" weapon you can win in the new Dragon's Den area.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Stelas posted:

Not quite. You've got Legends, Armored Princess, and Crossworlds. Legends is a standalone game, AP is a standalone game, and Crossworlds is an expansion that modifies Armored Princess' main campaign and adds a couple of smaller, new campaigns, but it does require AP installed to play it. If you preordered Crossworlds you did get Legends for free, but that offer's expired now.

Steam offers AP + Crossworlds as a combined package, though, and also offers the 'Platinum Edition' with all three games.

I bought all three as part of a Steam Sale, so I guess if I wanted to play "everything" I'd play Legends and then Armored Princess, then maybe the legends campaigns?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, but when you play AP you want to start it up via Crossworlds, so you get the version of the campaign with all the extra bits included. The bonus campaigns are tough if you haven't got a handle on which units work well together.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stelas posted:

Crossworlds can be bought on its own, and if you do you only get the bonus campaigns and nothing else. This is not at all recommended.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

HicRic posted:

It's not really a spoiler - the game plays unique songs at those points, but if you jump off the horse it cuts short.

Oh, right. I remember that now. Yeah, that was pretty cool. Especially the one when you're going to that ranch. That one was pretty good.

Also, I do recall someone saying to not bother with medicine since your health regenerates. While this is true, you can't really take that much damage, there's no health meter to let you know how close you are to death, and the save system in the game is a bit clunky, so it's a good idea to have some in case of emergencies. Saving is a fairly interrupting experience, and if you die you lose any collectibles since the last save. I found I was losing a good chunk of work because I would get hosed over by a cougar or a gunfight or something because I didn't feel like finding a camp site to save my game at. So yeah, have medicine handy.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
In Fable 3, once I become king/queen, will I ever be able to go back to the game proper? Exploring, doing quests and jobs, that sort of thing? Or should I have done everything before that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Kinda, you have the option on certain days to go off exploring in search of treasure, use that opportunity to gently caress about