Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Dush posted:

Do you think they'll loving fix the cover shooting system in the next one? It's not that hard: you go in cover, left trigger to pop out and aim, right trigger to shoot either while aiming or to blindfire from cover while not aiming. Instead in GTA4 the left trigger just sort of makes Niko poke his head up, and the right trigger makes him pop out and shoot (which moves the reticule). Please God tell me someone else found this as annoying as I did. loving clunky-rear end wordy game why won't you let me love you?

In GTA5 you will take control of one Roman Bellic who has two cover-fire options.

Left mouse: leave cover to fire toward crosshair target
Right mouse: vent exposition

That's what you mean, right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Zedd posted:

I don't know where you can find it; but this is the best car mod for gta4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOEnbJYn1Bc

Wow, holy poo poo. That guy's car mods are insane! I've only ever played GTA4 on the 360 and had no idea mods like that even existed :psyduck:

Almost makes me want to buy and install it on my PC! Almost...

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I would like to see a GTA built on 4's platform that takes place in San Andreas around 2001.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
I hope the next GTA has a lot of non-city locations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, one of the best parts of San Andreas was being able to just take off into the country for some high speed driving, added a lot of extension to the "just loving around" that is inherent to GTA games. As for fixing cover based shooting, the best way to fix it would be to get rid of it, GTA should be fast paced, not the slow and clunky mess that IV's combat was.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Prey 2 is looking like a sandboxy-type action game set on an alien planet... Might scratch some of the "futurey/alieny gta" itches some of us have.

Or it'll totally suck.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Are there any graphics mods that make the PC version of San Andreas look a little more modern (without just adding loads of bloom)? Playing GTAIV is making me want to be CJ again.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If anyone wants to buy the two episodes, keep in mind that it's cheaper to buy them both on disc now than it is to buy them digitally.
http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-Episodes-Xbox-360/dp/B002DC8GMM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1304798859&sr=8-13

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Underflow posted:

Some say cleaning the Xbox's disk cache and installing the game to be first on the drive should help, but that only seems to give minimal improvement. Others say it's better to play straight from the ROM, but apparently that may increase the risk of a RRoD. Pretty disappointing, 'cause driving in the IV instalments is great fun, I think.

For that Gold Star, do you have to drive the vehicles chosen for you when you start the mission segment or is it possible to grab another?
I hadn't tried any of those solutions, but after a couple of runs you'll probably remember where "hidden" obstacles are, especially if you just smashed into one. It's only a minor irritation and to be honest there's something kind of comical about preparing to weave through what appears to be a gap in concrete barriers only to launch poor Luis directly through his windshield.

For the achievement you can drive anything you want so long as you've acquired it after you've started the mission. I started them all via cell phone, and when you do that it gets rid of any vehicles you've left hanging around the mission start area (I think it also does this during the course of the story). If you spawn any vehicles with cheats or take a cab at any point during a mission you won't get any credit toward completing that mission for the achievement.

It sounds fairly liberal in theory, but in practice most of the missions require you to drive other characters around who refuse to get out of whatever vehicle you start in. To be honest, the best way to make par time is to ignore your GPS and take unconventional routes to your destination. There are usually plenty of YouTube clips for each mission showing significantly faster alternate routes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Underflow posted:

I hope it's going to be a '60s/'70s setting with muscle cars and boatsized sedans.

Plainrides from a Chicago-like city to the SW states, blasting along dusty highways in a Shelby Cobra or Dodge Charger, elaborate drugdeals, flying in product from Mexico, escaping to Tijuana, corrupt cops, weird hippie communes and cults, Vietnam, race riots, undercover cop work, and so on.

Now that you've said it I'll be disappointed with anything less.

If the Vice City teaser ends up being real, I hope we get a "whole Florida" game; Orlando, Miami, Tampa, the Everglades for some weird/spooky/redneck stuff, hell throw in Key West.

The only problem with this, of course, is that there would not be a single hill in the entire game.

As for time period, I have a feeling they're going to keep it modern, for some reason. If they don't, the 70s would be pretty good, especially for music. Krautrock, Velvet Underground no-wave, the beginnings of punk, classic rock anthems, the golden age of Motown, DISCO :supaburn:!

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

mutata posted:

Prey 2 is looking like a sandboxy-type action game set on an alien planet... Might scratch some of the "futurey/alieny gta" itches some of us have.

Or it'll totally suck.

Looking at the recent screens makes me feel like it could go either way. Most likely totally suck though :( Such a shame, as I share the same itch as you sir.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009
Jesus Christ I hate Games For Windows Live.
I beat GTA4 yesterday so wanted to play the episodes; installed GFWL client, created an account, created gamertag, and now the loving client crashes on startup and not even the official forum is any help.

Then I found out doing all this wiped out my basic GTA4 saved games. :(

Pirating the game and both expansions would've been easier and taken less time at this point.

(edit) deleting GFWL made GTA4 unplayable. gg microsoft! gently caress you!

nnnnghhhhgnnngh fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 8, 2011

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
So do the DLC add anything to the base game for GTAIV, or is it just a story continuation? Playing through it for the first time right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Myriad posted:

So do the DLC add anything to the base game for GTAIV, or is it just a story continuation? Playing through it for the first time right now.

Nothing gets added to GTAIV. They are each two new games.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But there are some additions to the world, such as new music for some of the radio stations! So its a bit different than either of the choices listed.

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
I just discovered the replay editor. Yesssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PXFXtLNcHQ

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

This thread made me dig out my old copy of GTA IV, and lo and behold, The Lost and Damned took a price cut on Xbox Live. I picked it up, and I'm finding it really loving fun. I tried to play multiplayer but no one is on anymore I guess. If any goons are up for some crazy free roam poo poo send me a friend request at GT: Omega This, I should be on quite a bit in the next few days, usually late late at night.

Also let me share a multiplayer memory. I was playing around in the airport on free roam just cruising around on my hog when I saw a helicopter coming towards me at drat near ground level. I took a quick mental inventory of my option and decided to try and turn out of the way. I turned too late and turned my bike on its side, sliding just barely underneath the helicopter. It was glorious.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Untrustable posted:

This thread made me dig out my old copy of GTA IV, and lo and behold, The Lost and Damned took a price cut on Xbox Live. I picked it up, and I'm finding it really loving fun.

It's the closest that we have to "Sons of Anarchy - The Game" :D

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
My fondest memory of GTA4 online would have to be griefing everyone in the races, specifically the times square race on motorcycles, just jump off right at the beginning, grab a bus and go backwards around the track. If you were lucky enough you could kill every single other person in a matter of seconds. You might say "Isn't that kind of the point?", but I guarantee that my account got so many complaints and I got booted on several occasions, but it was just so goddamned fun.

Coagulated
Jul 19, 2010

by Fistgrrl
The two things that I want most of all in the next GTA game are the return of VW Beetles and Andy Milonakis as an integral part of the main story arc.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Gta4 runs like absolute lovely rear end on my pc, while Portal 2, a brand new game (admittedly less intensive im sure) runs like glass. Are there any config files for an ageing PC?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Zedd posted:

I don't know where you can find it; but this is the best car mod for gta4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOEnbJYn1Bc

That mod is more detailed but the true BTTF experience is found in Crysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAaKH0FYO8

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

henpod posted:

Gta4 runs like absolute lovely rear end on my pc, while Portal 2, a brand new game (admittedly less intensive im sure) runs like glass. Are there any config files for an ageing PC?

The config file is put everything to low and pray to the PC gods. They didn't optimize the game at all.

I've been wondering if the expansion packs are just as unoptimized?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 9, 2011

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

The config file is put everything to low and pray to the PC gods. They didn't optimize the game at all.

Mind you it doesn't exactly look BAD with everything on lowest settings. I just turned it down and it's still playable :)

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.

Coagulated posted:

The two things that I want most of all in the next GTA game are the return of VW Beetles and Andy Milonakis as an integral part of the main story arc.

You have the strangest taste.

Picked up a copy of Episodes from Liberty City to purely for Euphoria (already played through them, but I didn't own them). I don't know how, but I missed the "Explosive Punches" cheat the first time around. It's just too much fun to punt people 20-30 feet in the air.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bobnumerotres posted:

I've been wondering if the expansion packs are just as unoptimized?

In my experience they run much better for whatever reason.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Picked up a copy of Episodes from Liberty City to purely for Euphoria (already played through them, but I didn't own them). I don't know how, but I missed the "Explosive Punches" cheat the first time around. It's just too much fun to punt people 20-30 feet in the air.

This sounds like an entertaining way to thrash the crap out of Brucie after failing the race mission again.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Lurchibles posted:

Mind you it doesn't exactly look BAD with everything on lowest settings. I just turned it down and it's still playable :)
The biggest performance hog is shadows. Unfortunately, they do make the game look better but I can get 5-10 fps more by turning them off. That and view/detail distance seem to be the big ones.

The next GTA game needs the classic "Graaand Theft Autoo" announcer when you first start the game. I still imagine it in my head whenever I play GTA4.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Cage posted:

The next GTA game needs the classic "Graaand Theft Autoo" announcer when you first start the game. I still imagine it in my head whenever I play GTA4.

And rows of NPCs jogging in unison for you to splatter consecutively for bonus points.

I feel like they've kind of worn out the attempts at serious character-driven narratives and I just want the next GTA to fully embrace its arcadey roots while still making use of the Euphoria engine et al. Chinatown Wars was a step in the right direction and Saints Row 2 was closer still, but just too rough around the edges.

Basically I want running over people and blowing up vehicles to add to my cash total again. It can actually make a rampage worthwhile!

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a sequel to Zack & Wiki.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Got a problem. I just bought San Andreas from GamersGate and SA keeps stuttering like crazy. I am beyond minimum specs but am using Win7 so I have a feeling it might be the culprit.

I run as admin, tried different compatibility modes, lowered graphics settings to minimum but nothing works. Anyone have any ideas as to solving the problem?

Win7
6GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

If you haven't already seen them, racistman3d makes some pretty amusing GTAIV videos.

http://youtu.be/WKQj_i2LYXw

Coagulated
Jul 19, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Made, you mean to say :(

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Not really. If you think about it there will there be children in any Grant Theft Auto game. You can invent a time machine and travel as far as possible into the future but never will you land in a year where you get to take gun rampage missions from a weed smoking 13 year old. This's just the next best thing.

Coagulated fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 12, 2011

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mr.Bond posted:

If you haven't already seen them, racistman3d makes some pretty amusing GTAIV videos.

Hahaha holy poo poo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Ri6dhsnoU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Whenever I listen to I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls, I want to play VC and drive at dangerously high speeds and run people over.

Here's to some of the songs in Vice City to be included in the newer GTA5.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Mr.Bond posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa0KWhsWrhc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O33UDPpcsnA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPVAdM43kQs
the best gta4 vids you will ever lay eyes on

vvv classic

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 12, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qo6I-jILM&feature=related Holy loving poo poo.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I just realised that billionaires always do these boring things with their money; golden toilets, 1000s of Ferraris, eradicating diseases and stuff. I think I'd seriously consider funding privately developed remakes of my favourite games using IV's engine. "Beeep" - "JC, it's Brucie baby, let's go bowling, be genetically different" - "Suuure" {spydrones phone up Brucie's rear end}. Then again, maybe they're doing it.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

Got a problem. I just bought San Andreas from GamersGate and SA keeps stuttering like crazy. I am beyond minimum specs but am using Win7 so I have a feeling it might be the culprit.

I run as admin, tried different compatibility modes, lowered graphics settings to minimum but nothing works. Anyone have any ideas as to solving the problem?

Win7
6GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Im not sure which setting it is, but in the nvidia control panel under the 3d settings where you can set AA and crap is an option that makes SA stutter like crazy. I dont know which it is but i reset the card to defaults and SA started running fine again.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Also for the next game: No more social club. I wanted to have a game of MP but the social club website is undergoing maintenance, which means I cant log in which means I cant play online, even though I dont use any aspect of it besides logging in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.

Coagulated posted:

Not really. If you think about it there will there be children in any Grant Theft Auto game. You can invent a time machine and travel as far as possible into the future but never will you land in a year where you get to take gun rampage missions from a weed smoking 13 year old. This's just the next best thing.

I think you might have meant to quote someone else. :confused:

• Locked thread