Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

omgitstheinternet posted:

Welp. 83 Fiat X1/9 Bertone. Despite everyone I know telling me to run, I picked it up yesterday for $1500. Despite it breaking down 4 (four) times on my way to work today (most of which I have attributed to bad gas from sitting) it's probably the coolest thing I've ever spent money on. Needs a few things but really very little.

That looks really good.

But something must be wrong with it, no Fiat of that vintage exists today without being at least 25% rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

That looks really good.

But something must be wrong with it, no Fiat of that vintage exists today without being at least 25% rust.

You're being too generous. 35%.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Crowley posted:

You're being too generous. 35%.

You're being too generous. 40% This could go on for a while.

Looking at it again, though... it does look damned fine. Is the interior in tatters?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 5, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That's cool. I have an '87 Bertone X1/9. They are fun but super fuckin' slow, even with the 1.5 and 5 speed. Need to see if you can make/buy some '74 style bumpers for it, the later ones look awful. Check for water under the distributor cap. That happens really easily on these.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Needs a few things but really very little.

You know what it needs. :colbert:

Nice car, drat.. where are you hiding the rust?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Picked up one of these a couple weeks ago:

This is a 2011 Camaro V6 LS. Yes, I am aware the six makes me look like a poser but I'm not out to impress anyone, and the LLT V6 has plenty of giddyup. The LS package doesn't have fancy poo poo like leather seats or a rear backup camera or Bluetooth, but then I didn't have to pay for poo poo I didn't need either, and what I do want I can install. Besides, the steel wheels are prettier than the factory rims.

So far have installed the secondary instrument cluster (no more relying on idiot lights!) and a CAI since I got a really good deal.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

An 800 Pound Dog posted:

Love how sharp the contrast is exactly at the middle of your car. Great way to show why lighting is so important for a good photograph. I'm not ragging on you, I know you probably just grabbed a snapshot. Just having some fun.

I don't think you're a poser at all. Your six makes more horsepower than the previous V8 in the Mustang. I also don't care for leather, a dumb back up camera, etc, and agree that those black/silver lip steel wheels are sick. I like the cut of your jib, friend (just tell me you got a manual, and we are on the same wavelength).

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

AF posted:

(just tell me you got a manual, and we are on the same wavelength).

Thought about the tranny a long time before buying. My commute is pretty much through the heart of Houston traffic, and I've had sticks in the past doing that drive but the whole act of driving just got old in a hurry. Faced with committing to a daily driver for the foreseeable future...I bitched out. The auto has a paddle shift mode, but without a clutch it's not the same.

This of course leaves totally open the possibility of a weekend stick in the future, or if I find another less commute-y job I could leverage the Camaro's good resale value and change.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

Viggen posted:

Nice car, drat.. where are you hiding the rust?

Under the paint :v:

Really though the car is immaculate. It's got some rust bubbling up under the paint in a few spots, but they are tiny, and considering it was sprayed about 10 years ago that's really not so bad. I've searched high and low on the car for hidden rot just waiting to kill it but I haven't found anything close to serious. On top of that, using the tried and true tapping on every inch of the car with my knuckles technique it's mostly metal, only a few spots of bondo, which I'd say is to be expected on a car that old.

That being said, it was sitting for a while in a very old mans garage before I purchased it from him, and the garbage old gas sitting in the tank definitely showed me what's what. Driving to work today (50 mile drive, in a 30 year old italian car) it started losing power over 3k RPMs, which got worse and worse until the car wouldn't idle. Finally I pulled off to the shoulder and let it sit for a few minutes, which made it run fine for a while, until the same problem happened again. After consulting my dad (who was a fiat/alfa romeo mechanic back in the 80s) we decided it was most likely lovely old gas and maybe some sediment in the tank. It took forever to get to and from work (100 miles round trip!) pulling over every 5-10 miles to let the tank settle. Tomorrow I'm going to drain the tank and change the fuel filter, and hopefully that will help.

Overall though, the car is amazing. When it's running correctly it runs beautifully, and is so much fun to drive. I still don't regret buying it for a second. I showed it to my dad and he says it's in better shape than half the X1/9s he worked on 25 years ago. For $1500, I made out like a bandit.

Wow that was a whole lot of words, I promise to make up for it with a bunch of cool pictures right away!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

An 800 Pound Dog posted:

Thought about the tranny a long time before buying. My commute is pretty much through the heart of Houston traffic, and I've had sticks in the past doing that drive but the whole act of driving just got old in a hurry. Faced with committing to a daily driver for the foreseeable future...I bitched out. The auto has a paddle shift mode, but without a clutch it's not the same.

This of course leaves totally open the possibility of a weekend stick in the future, or if I find another less commute-y job I could leverage the Camaro's good resale value and change.

I have two joke responses in reply to your post, which I will demonstrate below:

1. [Look at your avatar] I am dissapoint.

In the chance that a lame meme is not allowed in here:

2. Can't you find a hairdresser job with less of drive through traffic?

e: To make this more of a joke post I drive a miata and I called you a hairdresser

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

I have two joke responses in reply to your post, which I will demonstrate below:

e: To make this more of a joke post I drive a miata and I called you a hairdresser

Your jokes fuckin suck

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dreesemonkey posted:

What possessed you to think this was a good post?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Obviously I was completely serious about ragging on his new camaro which I generally find to be nice cars regardless of powertrain.

Lighten up gaylords, it's Friday.

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
I thought it was p. funny.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
It may be small, it may have a french engine but I love it!

1.6 turbo diesel fiesta, had the ECU remapped so consequently it goes slightly more "like gently caress" and is faster than the petrol version of the car.

Doesn't look like much but it's a 'rare' type of fiesta - bought it with 30,000 miles from a main ford dealer, at the time it was the only diesel one, in that colour, in the entire group stock (over 20,000 cars). Spent a good while looking for one just like this, and I bought it the same morning it came in as a part exchange.. travelled over 200 miles to get it!

Should be getting the plastics colour coded soon along with sideskirts and wheels from the fiesta ST.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
It is a soft top away from being a hairdresser's car though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Scabrous Teat posted:

It is a soft top away from being a hairdresser's car though.

Relevant since I'm making GBS threads up the thread today:

I will admit, I cut my own hair.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

standardtoaster posted:

Me too! I'm keeping it forever and forcing my children to drive it.

Really want to order these plates for my Element:

Nobody take my idea!

:argh:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

standardtoaster posted:

Me too! I'm keeping it forever and forcing my children to drive it.

Really want to order these plates for my Element:

Nobody take my idea!

I want these plates for my MS3.

Nobody take my idea either!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

An 800 Pound Dog posted:

Wow, base Camaro actually comes with paddle shifters?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Sometimes hairdressers like to let their hair down and have a little fun. :rimshot:

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

What's good about a paddle shifter mated to a regular automatic? If it's anything like the "manual" mode on most automatic transmissions then you will use it once or twice the get frustrated and never touch the paddles again.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Scabrous Teat posted:

What's good about a paddle shifter mated to a regular automatic? If it's anything like the "manual" mode on most automatic transmissions then you will use it once or twice the get frustrated and never touch the paddles again.

Not always. The ZF autos in the 370Z and the Aston's (and I'm sure others) are regular automatics in the tradition sense. (Torque converter etc) However they can interface with the engine and perform some really nifty revmatching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCWkQFJ2lwQ

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless it's significantly improved from the 6L80E in the Corvette - and I really doubt it is - the paddle shifters in the Camaro are bound to be garbage. Hideous amounts of delay between pressing the button and actually getting the shift done.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
No offense but an automatic Camaro (with a LS1 or otherwise) would rape just about anybody's idea of a sporty car here.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless it's significantly improved from the 6L80E in the Corvette - and I really doubt it is - the paddle shifters in the Camaro are bound to be garbage. Hideous amounts of delay between pressing the button and actually getting the shift done.

The paddle shifters in the camaro (including the SS) are significantly worse than the C6 vette paddle shifters. I've rented both, both are miserable, but the camaro might as well just call them shift suggestion buttons, as half the time the car just decides that it's smarter than you and overrides your shifts.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

wav3form posted:

No offense but an automatic Camaro (with a LS1 or otherwise) would rape just about anybody's idea of a sporty car here.

What if your idea of a sporty car is one with a manual? :smug:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

bidikyoopi posted:

I suppose that depends on which sporty car you're talking about. :D

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

wav3form posted:

It's a 300 hp sports car that does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. That's not exactly impressive and definitely doesn't "rape" anyone's idea of a sports car, unless your ideal sports car has the size and ergonomics of a WWII battleship.

Souness
May 1, 2008

1999 Porsche 911 (996) Cabriolet. Low miles and beautiful condition. My only complaint is that the navigation is a dinosaur, but I'll fix that with a new HU. Other than that, couldn't be happier.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

bidikyoopi posted:

My idea is one with a lot of soul and passion.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scabrous Teat posted:

It's a 300 hp sports car that does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. That's not exactly impressive and definitely doesn't "rape" anyone's idea of a sports car, unless your ideal sports car has the size and ergonomics of a WWII battleship.

Hey, gently caress you buddy. If Lindemann and Günther were double clutching like they should have been then those pussies on the King Geoge V and Rodney would have been sucking fumes.

:colbert:

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
I guess I'll join the club of 300HP sports cars with babby automatics :sissies:

Picked 'er up today. Smiling ever since. Can't sleep :D

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The paddle shifters in the camaro (including the SS) are significantly worse than the C6 vette paddle shifters. I've rented both, both are miserable, but the camaro might as well just call them shift suggestion buttons, as half the time the car just decides that it's smarter than you and overrides your shifts.

Christ, I can't stand the ones in my dad's C6 because there's just so much delay. Best way to drive that car by far is just to put the shifter in S and let the computer figure it out.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

illamint posted:

I guess I'll join the club of 300HP sports cars with babby automatics :sissies:

Picked 'er up today. Smiling ever since. Can't sleep :D

Pick up a JB4 and you can join the 400hp club. Great color combo!

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I'm sorry, a sports car can't have a torque converter.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

"timb" posted:

I'm sorry, a sports car can't have a torque converter.
My Tesla converts torque into speeding tickets.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Here's my 2004 Pontiac GTO:

I honestly couldn't fathom buying this car with an automatic, it just wouldn't work for me:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Scabrous Teat posted:

Where do you get your details? A 2002 Z28 is 350 hp and the automatic version gives up virtually nothing compared to its 6-spd counterpart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

wav3form posted:

Where do you get your details? A 2002 Z28 is 350 hp and the automatic version gives up virtually nothing compared to its 6-spd counterpart.

In a straight line maybe. In other areas your at the mercy of a transmission which would rather shift for economy and comfort when you care nothing about those two things. That, and you have worse ratios and more powerloss.