Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ok. Question:

So my girl started Yaz a month ago, Day 1 Start. She is prone to abnormally long periods. This one lasted 17 days. We used condoms afterwards, as we are paranoid and wanted to wait one full pack. Last night, two days into her 4day placebo pills (approx. 8 days after her period ended) the condom broke :v:

Should I be making a Plan B Run? I understand you are protected during the placebos, but is this affected by an abnormally long period/irregular cycle? Obviously she's not having her period during the placebos.

Nervoussnype

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
You're probably fine. If she's taking her birth control properly and on time without any mishaps, the chances of her being pregnant are slim. Break through bleeding and weird cycles are often part of the game with birth control, especially within the first 3 months. Hopefully after she's on her BC awhile her periods will shorten and be on a more regular schedule.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

You're probably fine. If she's taking her birth control properly and on time without any mishaps, the chances of her being pregnant are slim. Break through bleeding and weird cycles are often part of the game with birth control, especially within the first 3 months. Hopefully after she's on her BC awhile her periods will shorten and be on a more regular schedule.

Yeah she's taken the first pack perfectly, no misses or late pills. She's breaking out the way she normally does before she gets her period, so it seems like it should hit within a week or so, roughly on time despite the longer bleeding last month. I'd prefer not to throw PlanB into the mix, as we did hope the pill would help regulate things and I know that would mess it up.

Any more advice is welcome too :v:

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.
Weird, non-standard bleeding during your first month(s) on the pill is 100% normal. It doesn't mean the pill isn't working; it's a byproduct of your body adjusting to new hormone levels it doesn't know how to deal with, basically. Most likely what she was experiencing for those 17 days wasn't medically a period so much as egregious breakthrough bleeding, although the two can look similar enough.

If she took her pill on schedule, she shouldn't need Plan B, and taking it may add to the irregular bleeding as she'd be throwing additional odd hormone doses into the mix. If the breakthrough bleeding and prolonged periods don't clear up within the next two months, she should talk to her doc about trying something different, but for now, it's totally normal.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks a ton folks, right as usual. Period kicked in this morning!

Happy non-mothers day!

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
So often all we hear are the complaints about birth control. I would like to share multiple tales of birth control success!

To make a super long story short, I have a freakishly long list of medical problems for someone my age.

When I was 16 I went on Lutera. I was still having two periods a month, and I was rupturing ovarian cysts all the time, so my gyno suggested that I start stacking my packs. This worked wonderfully! I haven't even had any spotting in the last three and a half years (22 now)! The only change I noticed when I started the Lutera was that my face cleared up! Other than that, no horrible side effects.

But I wanted a more permanent solution. I decided several years ago that under no circumstances would I ever reproduce. I just refuse to risk my life when there are other options in life. So I set out to find a doctor willing to permanently sterilize me. After several years and a ton of lectures on how I'm young, and I'll change my mind, what if they find cures, blah, blah, blah, I found Dr. Brill.

I made an appointment and I pleaded my case, also making sure he had access to my full medical records, and had the knowledge that my ENTIRE family was on board. I even gave him my therapist's contact information and made sure he called her as well. Eventually he agreed to tie my tubes!

This past March I had Filshie clips placed on my fallopian tubes hysteroscopically, a tubal ligation. By the very next day I was up and able to completely care for myself all on my own. I was shocked at how easy the recovery was.

I seriously could not be happier. I feel a million pounds lighter knowing that pregnancy isn't even a risk anymore, especially because I'm still on the Lutera for my horrific periods.

The question I get asked the most is what will happen if you fall in love with someone who wants biological children? And my response to that is, well, if that person would seriously rather I risk my life to pass on these lovely genes, then that just isn't the one for me anyway.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Newbie question here. I take my ortho tri around 10 every night. Now, sometimes "around 10" means close to 11:30 and sometimes a little later. Some girls I know take it anally at the stroke of their hour, others are laid back. I've heard when its within a four hour time period, it's okay. We use other protection, too, so not extremely worried, just wondering the time frame here. I have a phone alarm but sometimes I'm not around my phone when it hits 10 and then I have this panic when I see the clock...

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Flantastic posted:

Newbie question here. I take my ortho tri around 10 every night. Now, sometimes "around 10" means close to 11:30 and sometimes a little later. Some girls I know take it anally at the stroke of their hour, others are laid back. I've heard when its within a four hour time period, it's okay. We use other protection, too, so not extremely worried, just wondering the time frame here. I have a phone alarm but sometimes I'm not around my phone when it hits 10 and then I have this panic when I see the clock...

That four-hour time period (actually 3 hours) applies only to the progestin-only pill. For the combined pill, you're good as long as you take it that day (or within the same 12-24 hour period).

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Thanks so much! I feel really bad about it, but the directions aren't too harsh when you actually miss an entire pill, so I knew it couldn't be too bad.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Olive Bar posted:

The question I get asked the most is what will happen if you fall in love with someone who wants biological children? And my response to that is, well, if that person would seriously rather I risk my life to pass on these lovely genes, then that just isn't the one for me anyway.

Aurgh, I can't get over how weird people get if a woman gets sterilized. It's none of your business if she doesn't ever want to squirt a kid out of her vagina. I'm very glad you found a doctor willing to do the procedure!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Flantastic posted:

Thanks so much! I feel really bad about it, but the directions aren't too harsh when you actually miss an entire pill, so I knew it couldn't be too bad.

You aren't alone. I once had a several hour stress out when I was ~10 whole minutes~ late for my new Nuvaring and came crying to this thread. :j:

it has to be perfect

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Couple that with just having a semi-strange not very heavy and early period, I was pretty scared. But I had just gone from a month break from the pill, ortho tri legit brand, and then ortho tri generic brand - so I'm fairly sure that makes sense.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Flantastic posted:

I think the main idea with the combination pill is to just encourage you to get into a routine so you remember to take it every single day. And what better routine than picking a time and sticking with it? :v: After that, I guess people just get paranoid and kind of spread the fear of missing a pill around.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Flantastic posted:

This is not how it is supposed to be administered :crossarms:

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eggplant Wizard posted:

This is not how it is supposed to be administered :crossarms:

Good news everyone, it's a suppository!

Sadsy Kitten
Sep 12, 2009
I've got a question about the mini-pill (Jolivette is the one I'm on). I took my pill tonight at 10pm, as I always do. I've felt like puking all day, and about half an hour after taking the pill, I finally did. I then came up with the questionably sound idea of taking another pill at 10:45 in an attempt to avoid having to use condoms for the next week or so. Two questions:

1. Have I just doomed myself to any unpleasant/harmful side effects (other than maybe making my period all wonky)?
2. Will the second pill work as I thought it would? I'm not really making the wisest decisions at the moment :downs:

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

I have a quick question for you ladies. I just got the Depo shot today for the first time. I would like to know how long it takes for it to be effective at preventing pregnancy. The nurse that gave it to me said it would be effective immediately, but then she said "as far as I know" which makes me wonder a little. I finished my period last Wednesday or Thursday, and started it on April 26. But my periods are waaaay wacky, and my gyno said today I probably have PCOS. Dunno if any of that matters.

Edit: Also a few days ago I started spotting a lot, almost like a mini-period (for me anyway).

So, am I good now, or should I wait a day or a week or anything?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

evelynevvie posted:

I have a quick question for you ladies. I just got the Depo shot today for the first time. I would like to know how long it takes for it to be effective at preventing pregnancy. The nurse that gave it to me said it would be effective immediately, but then she said "as far as I know" which makes me wonder a little. I finished my period last Wednesday or Thursday, and started it on April 26. But my periods are waaaay wacky, and my gyno said today I probably have PCOS. Dunno if any of that matters.

Edit: Also a few days ago I started spotting a lot, almost like a mini-period (for me anyway).

Because it's beyond 5 days since the start of your last period, it'll be effective 7 days after the injection.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

evelynevvie posted:

The Depo Wikipedia article says that there is a chance of pregnancy within the first 14 days if given after the first five days of the period cycle. Effective immediately if given during the first five days of the period cycle.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Fire In The Disco posted:

The Depo Wikipedia article says that there is a chance of pregnancy within the first 14 days if given after the first five days of the period cycle. Effective immediately if given during the first five days of the period cycle.

Yeah, I saw that, but I thought I should ask just in case. Wiki and all that. Alright, well, thanks both of you!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

So hey, I just had a consultation at P.P. today vis a vis getting Implanon. They were super nice and gave me a little pamphlet thing so I could read it over, and said they'd call my insurance company to make sure I'm covered. The lady who talked to me also talked about the Mirena, which I have also seen mentioned in this thread. I just... don't think I'm prepared to try that. The Implanon seems nice and non-invasive, whereas Mirena is pretty painful to insert. I am not so good with pain. :ohdear:

Anyway they said all I have to do to get the Implanon is call them the first day of my next period. So yay! :neckbeard:

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Egad! posted:

Good news everyone, it's a suppository!

Oh wow, that was spoken in Professor Farnsworth's voice in my head.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Fire In The Disco posted:

When I started on Depo it was about a week into my cycle and my doctor did recommend we use barrier protection for 2 weeks. She said the chance of pregnancy was very small especially after the first 7 days, but she would recommend it for 2 weeks. So we did, no big deal.

Silver Falcon, be aware that the local injection they give you to numb your arm hurts like hell, and your arm will be sore for a bit afterwards (though it's more of an ache, or was for me). So Implanon isn't pain free, but it isn't that bad. Not trying to scare you off it as I love it, just being honest.

Also for the record my insane bleeding appears to have stopped. That's how it goes for me, I suffer in silence for awhile then finally ask someone publicly, then the problem magically disappears. So I did deal with about 2 months of constant (light) period but that's the only period I had in a year so I'm okay with that. Menstrual cups are also your friend with Implanon I am discovering. It's nice to be able to just stick it in there if you think you might bleed, and not worry about it. edit: Just to be clear I don't mean I use a menstrual cup all the time, just after heavy spotting or during my weird 60 day period there.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

2tomorrow posted:

Silver Falcon, be aware that the local injection they give you to numb your arm hurts like hell, and your arm will be sore for a bit afterwards (though it's more of an ache, or was for me). So Implanon isn't pain free, but it isn't that bad. Not trying to scare you off it as I love it, just being honest.

Oh, needles I can deal with. It's the prospect of fingers in my uterus that bothers me. Seriously, my cervix! :ohdear: Fingers do not belong up there. :cry:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh, needles I can deal with. It's the prospect of fingers in my uterus that bothers me. Seriously, my cervix! :ohdear: Fingers do not belong up there. :cry:

Fingers don't go up there? :confused: There's an insertion thingy that goes through your cervix and pops the IUD in. No fingers.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Silver Falcon posted:

Uhhh the worst thing about the IUD is they use a little dilation rod to open your cervix just big enough for the IUD to slip in. That's it. Otherwise it is the same as a pap smear.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ok clearly I was operating on some misconceptions. Pardon me. :shobon:

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Silver Falcon posted:

So hey, I just had a consultation at P.P. today vis a vis getting Implanon. They were super nice and gave me a little pamphlet thing so I could read it over, and said they'd call my insurance company to make sure I'm covered. The lady who talked to me also talked about the Mirena, which I have also seen mentioned in this thread. I just... don't think I'm prepared to try that. The Implanon seems nice and non-invasive, whereas Mirena is pretty painful to insert. I am not so good with pain. :ohdear:

Anyway they said all I have to do to get the Implanon is call them the first day of my next period. So yay! :neckbeard:

Am I the only one where PP said it doesnt matter when its inserted? I got mine put in a week after my period ended

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Lanthanum posted:

Am I the only one where PP said it doesnt matter when its inserted? I got mine put in a week after my period ended

As I recall, it doesn't matter when you put it in if you're already on the pill. You get it inserted and then stop taking your pills. If you're starting Implanon as your first birth control you still have to wait 7 days and it has to be put in during your period.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Lanthanum posted:

Nope, I'm getting mine put in tomorrow, almost right in the middle of my pill pack, a week or so after my "period" ended. I just grabbed the first appt my dr had after she said it doesn't matter when I get it done.
Edit: just read the post above mine and I guess it's a pill thing, so nvm.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
IIRC, Implanon should take effect more quickly than other types of birth control. I think a lot of clinics either aren't used to this (since they're used to dealing with older methods), or else they want to stay way, way on the safe side. If you do some research and some talking, you should be able to get it on any day of your cycle that's convenient for an appointment. It's almost guaranteed to disrupt your cycle anyway, so that shouldn't be a big concern either.

PS I'm getting mine redone :toot: I'm so glad this wasn't my first one or I would've thought it was supposed to hurt like crazy! It's not. Don't leave until it feels like the example they show you!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 12, 2011

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

PS I'm getting mine redone :toot: I'm so glad this wasn't my first one or I would've thought it was supposed to hurt like crazy! It's not. Don't leave until it feels like the example they show you!

I sure won't, though I know that's a general statement. It's actually thanks to your post that I realized I should probably pay attention to that.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

ilysespieces posted:

Nope, I'm getting mine put in tomorrow, almost right in the middle of my pill pack, a week or so after my "period" ended. I just grabbed the first appt my dr had after she said it doesn't matter when I get it done.
Edit: just read the post above mine and I guess it's a pill thing, so nvm.

At the clinic where I work we insert IUDs and Implanon at any time, regardless of whether the patient's already on BC. We just make sure they've been using a reliable method of contraception (including condoms, withdrawal or abstinence) for at least two weeks so that we can reasonably ensure they're not pregnant.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 13, 2011

Helvetica Neue
Sep 1, 2004

I've used NuvaRing for just over three years now, and I love it! I have a longer cycle, typically 28 days between periods, so 35 days including my period. However, my body has been acting strange lately.

My last period started after just 20 days of having the ring in. Typically, I take the ring out at day 28 and spot for 2 days, then 3 days of actual flow on day 30-33, tapering off. This period, started full force on day 20, ring still in. Weird. Took the ring out, had my period, put a new one in.

Now I am on day 13 and I have been spotting for the last 4 days. This is really weird for me, this never happens. It's not red either, it's much darker black/brown. What does this mean? I have had a regular cycle for so long, it's really freaking me out. Is spotting ever a sign of pregnancy..? :ohdear:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Helvetica Neue posted:

I've used NuvaRing for just over three years now, and I love it! I have a longer cycle, typically 28 days between periods, so 35 days including my period. However, my body has been acting strange lately.

My last period started after just 20 days of having the ring in. Typically, I take the ring out at day 28 and spot for 2 days, then 3 days of actual flow on day 30-33, tapering off. This period, started full force on day 20, ring still in. Weird. Took the ring out, had my period, put a new one in.

Now I am on day 13 and I have been spotting for the last 4 days. This is really weird for me, this never happens. It's not red either, it's much darker black/brown. What does this mean? I have had a regular cycle for so long, it's really freaking me out. Is spotting ever a sign of pregnancy..? :ohdear:

It's sounds like breakthrough bleeding. I've been taking the same pills for over a year, but even now some months I'll just get spotting for a week or two for no apparent reason (it's never been pregnancy related either). It's just one of those things that happens with birth control sometimes. And yeah, it's usually kind of dark/brown looking.

That said, if you're really freaked out about it or start having other symptoms don't be afraid to call your doctor or head in to get checked out. A pregnancy test is also an option to ease your mind.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Just got back from my Implanon appointment, everything went great but I have a question that I got conflicting information about. The doctor asked when my last period was and when I started my most recent pack of BC and said I could stop taking it today, but the information packet from the actual device says to continue using a back up method for 7 days after getting it inserted. I was planning on just finishing the pack of pills I have now (2 weeks of pills left, I started my new pack a week ago, today), to try and hold off the irregular bleeding I know to probably expect. So, I have 3 options, finish the pack, take just the next 7 days of pills, or stop cold turkey and don't take my pill tonight.
What should I do? Does it matter? If I need to use a backup method for 7 days can I just take the other 7 days I'll have left? Will I die of a terrible hormone overdose and my obituary will read "too much birth control, she really didn't want babies"?
Thanks.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Helvetica Neue posted:

When this happens to me it's from stress. I use Nuvaring too fwiw.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
You should never double up on BCs unless you&apos;ve got some extremely clear instructions from a doctor to do so. The implant should be taking the place of the pills you normally take, so you are probably fine immediately, but backup methods are probably not a bad idea any time you're switching BCs.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

keseph posted:

You should never double up on BCs unless you&apos;ve got some extremely clear instructions from a doctor to do so. The implant should be taking the place of the pills you normally take, so you are probably fine immediately, but backup methods are probably not a bad idea any time you're switching BCs.

Thanks, I just got nervous seeing as the Dr said one thing and the implant instructions said another. Right now I'm leaning towards following the instructions that say use a backup method for 7 days, but if anyone else has anything to say, please do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

ilysespieces posted:

What should I do? Does it matter? If I need to use a backup method for 7 days can I just take the other 7 days I'll have left? Will I die of a terrible hormone overdose and my obituary will read "too much birth control, she really didn't want babies"?
Thanks.

Stop taking your pills. Back-up method doesn't mean take extra hormones, it means to use non-hormonal back ups like condoms.

If you are covered or not depends on the type of pill you swapped from. When changing from combination pills you have to insert it at the end up the pack during the placebo week to be covered. For progestin-only pills, anytime you insert it will leave you covered. Since when you swapped you were already into your new pack, use a back up method for a week (unless you were on a progestin-only pill of course).

• Locked thread