Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhiley
Apr 20, 2005
Fuck you autoban piece of shit
It looks like you can go to home depot and get 4 pounds of damp rid for $10 which stacks up pretty favorably to buying generic online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhiley posted:

It looks like you can go to home depot and get 4 pounds of damp rid for $10 which stacks up pretty favorably to buying generic online.

But 4 lbs of damp rid can only remove about 1/2 a gallon of water from the air.

Ever run a dehumidifier? You're talking GALLONS a day in most places.

Rhiley
Apr 20, 2005
Fuck you autoban piece of shit
Right I wasn't saying get that instead of a dehumidifier but rather people saying buy silica gel online.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Sockser posted:

So I live in a tiny apartment (college yay) and I'm trying to sort out my kitchen a bit more. I'd like to move my myriad of cookie sheets out of my cabinets and replace the space with, I dunno, something else.

My plan is to just attach some big fuckoff magnets to the wall with command strips and then slap the sheets on the big fuckoff magnets. Problem is, I'm not sure where to get myself a handful of big fuckoff magnets. Hook me up, dudes.

e: I can do other stuff with magnets on my walls too, but I need magnets.

Would like to add shelves but the walls are loving concrete so I can't really drill into them without wrecking a few bits and probably burning out my old-rear end drill.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

I have bought from them on multiple occasions, and they always ship what you order very fast and professionally. I even got a "sample pack" of little random shaped mini magnets a couple of times.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

NancyPants posted:

It'd be extremely creepy if the pellets were noisy. I imagine they'd hum annoying songs.

I don't know what it costs at the stores and that site doesn't seem to have prices listed anywhere, but you could get bulk silica gel online that probably does the same thing. Non-indicating is cheaper than an indicating version, since the second version has chemicals added that change color when exposed to moisture.
The best way to make dehumidifying packets for a large area is to go to Wal Mart and get a bucket of store brand crystalline cat litter (bulk silica,) one or two packs of store brand tube socks, a package of zip ties, and a gutter cleaning scoop (perfect size and shape for filling socks with cat litter.)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good "best value" interior paint?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

taqueso posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "best value." My wife and I like to wait for Sherwin-Williams to have 40% off sales and then just buy whatever quantity of Super Paint we need.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "best value." My wife and I like to wait for Sherwin-Williams to have 40% off sales and then just buy whatever quantity of Super Paint we need.

I mean something that is cheaper than BM Aura but will still cover well and have a nice finish. A paint that is not the best or the cheapest, but a good balance of the two. I would like to get things painted in the next couple weeks, so I don't have a lot of time to wait for a sale.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 3, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

taqueso posted:

I mean something that is cheaper than BM Aura but will still cover well and have a nice finish. A paint that is not the best or the cheapest, but a good balance of the two. I would like to get things painted in the next couple weeks, so I don't have a lot of time to wait for a sale.

Yeah, that would put a damper on things. I bet Memorial day would have a ton of good sales.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, that would put a damper on things. I bet Memorial day would have a ton of good sales.

I did some googling and it does seem like Memorial Day historically has been a paint sale bonanza. I am moving to a new apartment and have some overlap time where I can use both places. I was hoping to paint before I was entirely moved in, but 40% is hard to ignore.

e: I'd still love to hear some goon paint recommendations, though

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 3, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

taqueso posted:

I'd still love to hear some goon paint recommendations, though

Sherwin Williams "Super Paint" is one of my favorites.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

e: I'd still love to hear some goon paint recommendations, though

Consumer Reports just did paints a month or two ago. They rated the following as best buys for interior paints:
Kilz Casual Colors Satin
Glidden Premium Satin
Behr Premium Plus Satin Enamel
Behr Premium Plus Flat Enamel
Glidden Premium Flat

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

taqueso posted:

You could also scope out Home Depot and Lowes "oops" paint as well. Just check back every few days and wait for a paint color you like. Typically you can get really good paint such as Ralph Lauren and Behr for about $10 a gallon. That is if you only need a gallon because good luck on finding matching colors if you need more than a gallon of paint for your project. Other than that, get the contractors 5 gallon bucket. We use the Home Depot brand du jour in semi gloss for our rentals and that works out well but you can get it in any finish you want. If you need bathroom paint though, all Behr has a base in it that won't mold or mildew.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Moron here. The only power tool I own is a screwdriver. Got two small projects:

One, just got a wall mounted display cabinet that has a mirror backing and so weighs about 30 pounds. To hang it, there's two small tabs at the top. I think the previous owners had it in a stone wall. I need it to go on drywall and not come crashing down, which I think it will with the hang tabs. I'm hoping maybe two small L brackets from HD/Lowes will do the trick?

Two, I'd like to put some shelves in a nook, just boards on the wall cut to the right dimensions, preferably painted and beveled. I assume there's an area in HD/Lowes where they'll cut wood for you over by the lumber, but I've never even been to that side of the store. Do they do things like beveled edges? Or do they just deal with larger pieces of lumber?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Elijya posted:

Two, I'd like to put some shelves in a nook, just boards on the wall cut to the right dimensions, preferably painted and beveled. I assume there's an area in HD/Lowes where they'll cut wood for you over by the lumber, but I've never even been to that side of the store. Do they do things like beveled edges? Or do they just deal with larger pieces of lumber?

They do cut wood to size, but they won't do anything fancy with it. Your best bet is borrowing a router from your dad/neighbor/grandpa for a day or two.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Elijya posted:

One, just got a wall mounted display cabinet that has a mirror backing and so weighs about 30 pounds. To hang it, there's two small tabs at the top. I think the previous owners had it in a stone wall. I need it to go on drywall and not come crashing down, which I think it will with the hang tabs. I'm hoping maybe two small L brackets from HD/Lowes will do the trick?

These are cheap and work beautiful. They are rated @ 159 lbs: http://www.lowes.com/pd_114823-10337-50325_0__?productId=3181731&Ntt=wall+anchor&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dwall%2Banchor

Also, has anyone in here done stained concrete? If so, how big of a pain in the rear end is it or is it something that you would have just hired out since it's a time consuming process? My wife wants to go with it for our rear living room/kitchen hangout area where the kids spend alot of time.

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 6, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Elijya posted:

The Lowe's where I live will cut full sheets to size for you, but that's about it. I don't know what their policy is exactly, but I don't think they're going to make more than a few cuts in a 4x8' sheet of plywood for you. No way will they do any finishing like bevels.

Black Jasper
May 8, 2009
I'm in the process of excavating my backyard to build a patio. Today I found what seems to be some sort of large old drainage system (house was built in the 1950's).

About 8 feet from the house there is a large 4'x12'x5' concrete cellar with two open pipes on each end. This drain cellar is half full with standing water. The entire construct was built with cinder blocks and had three 6"-thick concrete slabs on top. The slabs are badly cracked and had they failed my backyard would have caved in, swallowing my family into the earth. Itlooks like a tomb with two pipes.

What's the best way to deal with this? Am I right that this is some sort of drain? Can I just fill it with dirt or gravel and build my patio on top?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

stubblyhead posted:

The Lowe's where I live will cut full sheets to size for you, but that's about it. I don't know what their policy is exactly, but I don't think they're going to make more than a few cuts in a 4x8' sheet of plywood for you. No way will they do any finishing like bevels.

So without access or space to the necessary tools, where would one go for stuff like this?

I spent an hour each at Lowe's and HD today. Lowe's employees were so utterly useless theylost me as a customer, but the HD guys were so unbelievably helpful that's where i'll be going back to. What's the consensus on the two companies?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Elijya posted:

I spent an hour each at Lowe's and HD today. Lowe's employees were so utterly useless theylost me as a customer, but the HD guys were so unbelievably helpful that's where i'll be going back to. What's the consensus on the two companies?
It varies greatly from store to store. I have three Lowes and a HD within about 20 minutes of me, and go out of my way to one particular Lowes to buy most things because the people are helpful and it's better stocked.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Black Jasper posted:

I'm in the process of excavating my backyard to build a patio. Today I found what seems to be some sort of large old drainage system (house was built in the 1950's).

About 8 feet from the house there is a large 4'x12'x5' concrete cellar with two open pipes on each end. This drain cellar is half full with standing water. The entire construct was built with cinder blocks and had three 6"-thick concrete slabs on top. The slabs are badly cracked and had they failed my backyard would have caved in, swallowing my family into the earth. Itlooks like a tomb with two pipes.

What's the best way to deal with this? Am I right that this is some sort of drain? Can I just fill it with dirt or gravel and build my patio on top?

Decommissioned septic tank?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Elijya posted:

So without access or space to the necessary tools, where would one go for stuff like this?

It entirely depends on the store. I have a HD and 2 Lowe's in my area, and we go out of our way to visit one Lowe's because the employees there are so friendly. We call it "the good Lowe's." The Home Depot is okay, but the other Lowe's has pretty crappy employees. In other words the companies are practically identical.

I would recommend looking at premade shelving kits and seeing if you can't find something that meets your needs that way.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

quadpus posted:

Decommissioned septic tank?

That sounds more like a bomb shelter than anything else, considering the time period. Expect it to be larger than you think. You'll want to rent a pump to get the water out first, probably to a storm sewer on the street. I would remove the top slabs, fill it with gravel then build on top of that. Hell, rent a jackhammer too and bust up the top slabs for use as fill.

Elijya posted:

Instead of a bevel you could just get boards cut to length, then glue and tack on some moulding on the front edge with finish nails. That would look nice.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
During excavation to build a patio in Washington DC we found a concrete slab and brought out the jackhammer. Punched through the slab and found a hole 8' deep and appearing quite large. Turns out it was a several hundred foot tunnel that was an unknown part of the underground railroad from Civil War days. A little exploration with a flashlight showed the client's house had a bricked-over entryway to the tunnel from their cellar. Queue complete job shutdown while archeologists or historians or some business were brought in.

But it sounds like you have a old septic tank. You need to either remove it completely or drain it, break up the bottom(lest the whole area retain water), fill it with well compacted progressively larger material(riprap, drainage stone, #57, topsoil). Your patio will fail spectacularly if you don't take care of it properly. I suggest you just build a deck with footers outside of the septic area.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I have just become the owner of a very nice antique dresser. Unfortunately, it is the smelliest goddamn thing I have ever has the misfortune of owning. The previous owner was a chain smoker, and the reek of stale tobacco sets my teeth on edsge at the best of times. The room I have placed it into smells like an old ashtray now, and after only a day, the articles of clothing I have placed into it smell like the carpet of a bingo hall.

I need a very, very powerful deodorizer. Preferably something passive as I'd rather not ruin the wood, but some sort of scrub or spray is fine at this point, because gently caress it, if I can't get the smell out it's going to the curb.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Walgreens has some stuff in the cleaner aisle called Lord Byron's Smoke Remover, it's really good but I don't know how antique wood would hold up to it. I think the ideal thing to do would be to seal off a closet or small room and stick it in there with an ozone generator for a few days.

artificialj
Aug 17, 2004

You're the gourmet around here, Eddie.

Vergeh posted:

smoke 'em if you got 'em

You can try a bowl of baking soda in the interior of drawers. Generally works ok.

For getting the tar residue off, I like witch hazel with a couple drops of dawn in it. Scrub with that mess and a scotchbrite or something, then use some warm water and a wash cloth to wipe it off. Change water if it looks too gross and tarry.

As always, test first on a small, hidden area to make sure it's not messing up the finish.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Oh god, that water was disgusting. Changed it about eight or nine times. I ended up using Borax, because I couldn't find any witch hazel. It's a shade lighter now... though to be honest it looks a lot more like natural wood. I think most of the colour came from a thick layer of grime and nicotine. We're going to give it a nice rub down with Murphy's Oil Soap and then bring it back inside. It already smells significantly less funky (hey, it actually smells like wood!), but that could be due to it being out in the open air. I'm going away for a week, so I plan to leave it empty with baking soda in every drawer. I think it's gonna be okay.

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach
We're buying a 1959 slab home in Texas. The owners took out most of the carpet, so the floor is just concrete slab. Slab is in good shape, appears flat, no cracking. I hate concrete floors and want to add wood floors. I've learned that installing solid hardwood flooring over concrete slab is a really really bad idea, thus I'm looking an engineered wood floors. These can either be floated on the slab or plywood can be laid over the slab. Any downsides to floating the floors?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Seventyfour posted:

We're buying a 1959 slab home in Texas. The owners took out most of the carpet, so the floor is just concrete slab. Slab is in good shape, appears flat, no cracking. I hate concrete floors and want to add wood floors. I've learned that installing solid hardwood flooring over concrete slab is a really really bad idea, thus I'm looking an engineered wood floors. These can either be floated on the slab or plywood can be laid over the slab. Any downsides to floating the floors?

I actually just saw something about this on This Old House this weekend. They were using some sort of flooring with a synthetic surface, but with a real wood substrate. They put down a vapor barrier first to prevent the flooring from warping. I would imagine that real hardwood would be fine if you put a vapor barrier down first, but I'm not an expert.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Where did you get the idea that hardwood on concrete is a bad idea? If you've ever walked through the terminals at MCI that's exactly what it is and it's nice and well-trafficked; been in service a long time. If you do decide to go the veneer route, it should also be fine to place directly on the concrete. Watch out for your finishes, though. The concrete needs to breathe so if you use a petroleum base (urethane) sealant or something that doesn't permit moisture exchange the concrete will eventually pop.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Seventyfour posted:

As others have said, wood over concrete is fine as long as the two don't meet. Concrete needs to breath, and wood will just absorb moisture from the concrete and do all sorts of Very Bad Things. A vapor barrier is critical for that purpose.

Or at least that's what watching an obsessive amount of Holmes has taught me.

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach

Hed posted:

Where did you get the idea that hardwood on concrete is a bad idea? If you've ever walked through the terminals at MCI that's exactly what it is and it's nice and well-trafficked; been in service a long time. If you do decide to go the veneer route, it should also be fine to place directly on the concrete. Watch out for your finishes, though. The concrete needs to breathe so if you use a petroleum base (urethane) sealant or something that doesn't permit moisture exchange the concrete will eventually pop.

I didn't have that idea until I started doing some research, and the universal response is never put solid hardwoods on concrete as you'll have problems with moisture. Might just apply to Texas and more humid places, don't know.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Seventyfour posted:

Any downsides to floating the floors?

I'm going to add one thing... put down your vapor barrier, then a layer of rigid insulation which will help keep the slab from transferring outside heat/cold to the inside, then a slip layer to protect the insulation from the floating floor, then your flooring. I would do the whole house. With that, even a wood floor should be fine. To answer the question, no, there should be no problems floating the floors.

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach
OK, in addition to flooring, we're also thinking about adding a couple of Solatubes (14" diameter) or equivalent products; it looks like parts + install (including the part where they properly seal up the hole in your roof) will be about $1000 per.

Anyone have any experience with this product? Any downsides (condensation, heating up the house, ceiling falling in, etc)?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Has anyone here DIY'd invisible fence for dogs? I'll be taking in my fiancee's chow and chihuahua in a few weeks and I'm wondering if its a feasible option. I don't want to put up a real fence because my yard continues into a nice open city park, and I have a rear-entry garage that would require a big drive-in gate.

The soon-wife's snobby coworkers have convinced her that it's not something I can properly do myself, but I've remodeled a kitchen, swapped a transmission, and covered the house in vinyl siding this year, so they can be quiet.

I'm just curious if anyone has any tips. I'm also worried about my liability if a kid has an encounter with a dog while using my yard as a shortcut to the park.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

eddiewalker posted:

Has anyone here DIY'd invisible fence for dogs?

I have and it wasn't a big deal but my dog was grown and he never adapted to the fence, instead he would just getting a running start and bolt right through it. Then he was afraid to come back into the yard. The installation was just burying a wire and putting up some flags.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'd like to build a new crawlspace hatch cover for my house. I think I have enough scrap wood to make it, so I'm hoping to avoid a trip to the store. I'd like to use exterior grade plywood, which I have some of, but I have some interior grade as well. How can I tell them apart?

Pheloz
Apr 15, 2011
Moved into a new place and when I went to take a shower I bumped into the soap dish and this happened. How should I go about fixing this without to much work because I can probably get maintenance to fix it since it happened on day one but this would take a week or so and I'd rather have it done sooner but depends on what I would have to do and cost.

http://i.imgur.com/oIlrR.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pheloz posted:

Moved into a new place and when I went to take a shower I bumped into the soap dish and this happened. How should I go about fixing this without to much work because I can probably get maintenance to fix it since it happened on day one but this would take a week or so and I'd rather have it done sooner but depends on what I would have to do and cost.

http://i.imgur.com/oIlrR.jpg

What consistency is the brown poo poo? looks like some kind of adhesive, scrape as much of it away as possible, then get some more & stick it right back on.