Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

dexefiend posted:

I am also pissed at this idea of "banging supermodels ... awesomeness" and then he can't even beat up two soldiers. I find it silly to build up this guy as superman, and then have him be useless. It almost comes to the idea of unreliable narrator. If he didn't have Bast licking his boots I would think we had a Usual Suspects thing going on. If Rothfuss wanted to show him as less than omnipotent, he picked a rather blunt way to do it.

Of all the things in the books, this actually makes me happy instead of angry. But I enjoy "fallen from grace" badasses who get their mojo back so I might be predisposed to like the structure. I can definitely envision plot-driven reasons for why he's no longer the same Kvothe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Sophia posted:

Of all the things in the books, this actually makes me happy instead of angry. But I enjoy "fallen from grace" badasses who get their mojo back so I might be predisposed to like the structure. I can definitely envision plot-driven reasons for why he's no longer the same Kvothe.

Yeah, this part actually bothered me less than most of the problem areas in WMF. After all, Bast has pretty much come out and said that Kvothe is a shadow of the person he once was, that he's lost all belief in himself, and that this is why he wanted the Chronicler to push him to tell his story - in the hope that it helps him remember who he used to be / what he used to be like.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Sophia posted:

I enjoy "fallen from grace" badasses who get their mojo back so I might be predisposed to like the structure.

I like badasses who excel in badassery, even if they are one dimensional. I wanted him to call the name of blood and have them paint the walls of the inn.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

Habibi posted:

Bast has pretty much come out and said that Kvothe is a shadow of the person he once was, that he's lost all belief in himself

Yup
a man waiting to die as mentioned in both books so far.

...the third silence, right guys?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Bantaras posted:

Yup
a man waiting to die as mentioned in both books so far.

...the third silence, right guys?

The third silence is the people speaking up to defend Rothfuss for the Felurian part of this book.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Benson Cunningham posted:

The third silence is the people speaking up to defend Rothfuss for the Felurian part of this book.

Yeah. I liked the book a lot and that segment made me cringe (except for the Cthaeh, but that doesn't really count as a Felurian part).

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah. I liked the book a lot and that segment made me cringe (except for the Cthaeh, but that doesn't really count as a Felurian part).

As with most things, the problem wasn't with the story idea but with the execution (and lack of stern editing). I liked Cthaeh, and that we learned about Jak and that he got into a baller fight and kicked some rear end and earned some respect even from magical creatures because the world of the books is fascinating and Kvothe is supposed to be a badass. The fact that he went led to a lot of things that I liked. But all of the sex and the :smug: was so distasteful and eye-roll-inducing.

And dexefiend, I totally get why you like to see badasses kicking rear end, but in this case he tells us at the beginning of the entire series that Kvothe has lost his badassery. I guess I just don't feel like you can complain when later on it's like "yep, he really has lost it". I mean, it might not be the kind of story you like, which is fine, but you can't say he didn't warn you. :)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Sophia posted:

And dexefiend, I totally get why you like to see badasses kicking rear end, but in this case he tells us at the beginning of the entire series that Kvothe has lost his badassery. I guess I just don't feel like you can complain when later on it's like "yep, he really has lost it". I mean, it might not be the kind of story you like, which is fine, but you can't say he didn't warn you. :)

I totally agree with this. I was hoping he just was like "Yeah, I am a badass but :effort:." In actuality, he is like :effort: + :smithicide:.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Well, take heart! Maybe Bast will get him back to his awesome ways by the end of the next book and he will punch through an entire horde of demons in one shot.

(Or maybe he'll write a long poem about Denna's cheekbones)

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

dexefiend posted:

I totally agree with this. I was hoping he just was like "Yeah, I am a badass but :effort:." In actuality, he is like :effort: + :smithicide:.

I think the issue many of us have is that there is, as of yet, no real indication why Kvothe isn't still a badass. I can accept that he can't use magic, which we've known since book one, but given his training he should be able to hand two guys their asses. He kills a horde of loving demons with an iron rod in the first book, and now suddenly two people are too much?

I think a much more realistic answer is just that Patrick Rothfuss realized Kvothe was too powerful and too smart in the first book. He is noticeably less capable in the second novel, his flaws are more emphasized than his strengths, and Rothfuss just turns him into some suave mother fucker to make up for making him shittier. It's really seems more like a retcon than something planned.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just got to:
The part in the creek where Denna's slip is showing... and then he says "LOVE ME" I just about :barf:. I almost don't want to finish. I am afraid he is going to Terry Goodkind this in the third book.

I totally agree that he made Kvothe too awesome in the first book, and is now toning him down. It is the classic issue of tension I think. If the A.C. Slater gets Jessi and wins the weightlifting challenge in the first 5 minutes of the episode WHERE DO YOU GO FROM THERE?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

dexefiend posted:

I totally agree that he made Kvothe too awesome in the first book, and is now toning him down. It is the classic issue of tension I think. If the A.C. Slater gets Jessi and wins the weightlifting challenge in the first 5 minutes of the episode WHERE DO YOU GO FROM THERE?

Rothfuss could have better spent his time having Kvothe in situations that annul his super powers, like the Chandarin or women, rather than pretending they suddenly don't exist.

Oh wait, Kvothe almost killed Cinder and he gets loving hand jobs from every woman he winks at. He probably doesn't have time to study with all the dick yanking going on every time he turns around.

I have to imagine Rothfuss thinks having a sex is what makes someone an adult, and this book is Kvothe's coming of age tale. Yes, I made that pun.

DirtyDiaperMask
Aug 11, 2003

by Ozmaugh

soru posted:

Did anyone notice the bit at the very end where he walks out to the common room in the middle of the night, stands where his fight took place, and takes one tiny perfect step? It seems like another hint that Kvothe may be just playing the role of an innkeeper who's getting his rear end kicked.

There are several passages about how people are defined by who they pretend to be, etc., and so by pretending to be just an innkeeper that's all he's becoming, and it seems that's what he desires because he's racked with guilt by....something. That's why Bast is so insistent that Chronicler try to rekindle Kvothe's memories of the good he's done, to try to convince him that it's worth being Kvothe and just not let himself slip away. Book three is going to have to be one hell of a downer for the framing story to make sense.

That framing story is what saves these two books from being C-list fantasy, but goddamn Rothfuss really needs a better(stricter) editor.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

Liesmith posted:

It kind of makes you wonder what his editor was thinking.

Habibi posted:

Who the hell is this guy's editor and why did she allow this book to hit the shelves in its current form?

Tolli posted:

It should have been edited more.

Above Our Own posted:

His editor really needs to grow a pair and tell him that his stuff just rants on and on.

Sophia posted:

As with most things, the problem wasn't with the story idea but with the execution (and lack of stern editing).

DirtyDiaperMask posted:

but goddamn Rothfuss really needs a better(stricter) editor.

Nope, Benson Cunningham,
I think I figured out what the silence of the third part was.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Bantaras posted:

Nope, Benson Cunningham,
I think I figured out what the silence of the third part was.

Kind of looks like the vocal majority to me. yes I got the joke.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Sup guys. I'm a fan of the series, first read Name of the Wind pretty much when it first came out. My critiques of the new book are, I suppose, somewhat the same as many of the others. Lots of sex, Kvothe seems to be just too awesome to be believable, hurf durf, seems to go off and at times not really advance the plot.

There are still gems in there, though, so I enjoyed reading it. The idea of the Cthaeh, and a few of the other mystical plot advancements, were rather disconcerting to me (in a good, thoughtful way).

Kvothe has always suffered from a touch of the Marty Stu syndrome, even dating back to book one, so I hope Rothfuss finds his balance between the tragically flawed character and the hero of song and legend that he keeps shooting for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dexefiend posted:

I am also pissed at this idea of "banging supermodels ... awesomeness" and then he can't even beat up two soldiers. I find it silly to build up this guy as superman, and then have him be useless. It almost comes to the idea of unreliable narrator. If he didn't have Bast licking his boots I would think we had a Usual Suspects thing going on. If Rothfuss wanted to show him as less than omnipotent, he picked a rather blunt way to do it.

I thought it was pretty obvious that he was faking the whole "can't fight" thing. After it was done Kvothe states that he "almost forgot who he was" in regards to the fight. He's supposed to be Kote the innkeeper, it wouldn't look good for a "simple innkeeper" to beat two soldiers in a fistfight. Then at the very end he's still able to practice the Ketan.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

muscles like this? posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious that he was faking the whole "can't fight" thing. After it was done Kvothe states that he "almost forgot who he was" in regards to the fight. He's supposed to be Kote the innkeeper, it wouldn't look good for a "simple innkeeper" to beat two soldiers in a fistfight. Then at the very end he's still able to practice the Ketan.
I actually hadn't considered this. I guess it's plausible, but other things seem to hint that he actually is just the innkeeper and genuinely got his butt kicked.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

drat you, I was going to say this and then I'd look like the smart one! That'll teach me to ignore the thread so long...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just finished The Wise Man's Fear yesterday and while I like the series as a whole god drat, Rothfuss does not know how to end a book. Neither books feel like it ends at a natural stopping point and instead just seems like he cuts it off. Also, he's spent one and a half books of Kvothe at the University, it'd be nice if he would actually move on from there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I just finished The Wise Man's Fear yesterday and while I like the series as a whole god drat, Rothfuss does not know how to end a book. Neither books feel like it ends at a natural stopping point and instead just seems like he cuts it off. Also, he's spent one and a half books of Kvothe at the University, it'd be nice if he would actually move on from there.

Yeah, I finished it a few days ago and this is pretty much how I feel. I don't really mind him being back at the University at this point, but I'm glad that most of the book didn't take place there. And I'm not sure of the ending.

It took me awhile to actually get into it, because it was just the same University stuff that the last book ended with, but once the stroy started taking palce elsewhere, it flew for me. That is, until the Fleurian section. I've never felt like putting a book down more than I did during that part. It led to something neat in the Ctaeth, but uggghhh. I mean it's one thing to make a character undeniably awesome, but this was jsut going too far. It was just kind of embarassing to read.

I won't comment on whether it's good book or not, because I honestly don't know good books from bad, but I was entertained enough, and I'm looking forward to the final book.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

I got a different impression from this scene. After telling this story about being a badass, he gets into a fight with the soldiers, thinking he could easily take them. The way I viewed it was he forgot that he was no longer able to whup rear end. One of the key parts was when he was trying to break the hold but was surprised that it failed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

McGrady posted:

I got a different impression from this scene. After telling this story about being a badass, he gets into a fight with the soldiers, thinking he could easily take them. The way I viewed it was he forgot that he was no longer able to whup rear end. One of the key parts was when he was trying to break the hold but was surprised that it failed.
This is pretty much what I got from it too. He was able to flash some of his skill, like a flower opening, particularly when he blindsided the first guard. But the vibe I got was that he would have just put on the modest barkeep face and handed over his money if the storytelling hadn't gotten his hackles up. He didn't fake it per se, but it did awaken something in him, as was Bast's intention, thus him starting to practice the Ketan in the night for perhaps the first time in years.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Why do you think that he's telling the truth with the "almost forgot who he was" in the fight thing? I took it as a kind of justification for getting beaten up ("I'm not weak, I was just pretending to be").

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
gently caress,

MarshallX posted:

*Read 3 pages*
*Flip ahead 3 pages*
*Flip ahead 10 pages*
*Furiously flip ahead 60 pages*
*Deep Sigh*
*Flip back and continue reading*

was exactly what I did when I got to that part. I don't really know why or how I keep reading Rothfuss, I think a part of me misses being younger and enjoying books like this, and the rest of it is my almost pathological completionism. You can tell he really loves to write and it's easy enough to just sort of follow the story along and get a mild enjoyment out of reading it, but it's seldom very suspenseful and certain parts of it are some of the most :awesome: :goonsay: poo poo I've ever read in my life, to the point where I'm sure I'm being trolled. I think it bugs me most that there is the kernel of an awesome story in there, but Rothfuss seems to run with it in the opposite direction most of the time.

I'm tempted to leave a Post-It note in it somewhere around page 632 (it's a library book) with a big :rolleyes: and instructions to skip ahead to the tree, then skip ahead to the inn.

I will read the next thousand-page doorstop to see how it ends.

Liesmith posted:

I don't think comparing one set of fantasy novels to another set of fantasy novels fits any definition of blasphemy that I've ever heard.

There's an almost peerlessly :smug: atheist joke in here, but I'm too hungover to take a stab at it.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
WMF would have been so much better if he would have summarized the parts in the Fae and expanded the summarized parts of the trial.

But I guess Rothfuss' rationale was that we really needed the Ctaeh or something. Too little murdering of darlings.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Just finished this book, loved and hated it.

I nearly put it down twice: first, when he's off to see the Maer and suddenly says "I spent 16 days nearly dying, fighting pirates, starving and stabbing, but you don't want to know about that. Seriously?

Second, (as seems to be this thread's opinion) the entire fae Felurian bit. Jesus christ. It absolutely stank of an author living out his imaginary fantasies and not having an editor with balls to cut it out. The "I'm now irresistible to barmaids/ casual sex-having Adem/ any woman near the university" was just as bad.

Anyways, quite a few bits made up for that: the stabbing bandits/ calling down lightning was loving awesome.

My girlfriend is pretty sure that Master Ash (Denna's patron) is Cinder, which would fit pretty nicely. Edit: didn't know that was a common theory!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 8, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

Anyways, quite a few bits made up for that: the stabbing bandits.

This reminds me: wouldn't that be pretty much cut-and-dried malfeasance? Like, the kind that would get him burned at the stake (or whatever the equivalent punishment is), regardless of who he was attacking? He obviously got away with it, but wonder if it could come back to haunt him in the next book.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This reminds me: wouldn't that be pretty much cut-and-dried malfeasance? Like, the kind that would get him burned at the stake (or whatever the equivalent punishment is), regardless of who he was attacking? He obviously got away with it, but wonder if it could come back to haunt him in the next book.

Absolutely. I figure his fellow mercenaries aren't gonna rat him out considering he saved their lives with it.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

The Supreme Court posted:

My girlfriend is pretty sure that Master Ash (Denna's patron) is Cinder, which would fit pretty nicely. Edit: didn't know that was a common theory!

The 'prevailing' theory is that Master Ash is Bredon, who is also one of the (human) Amyr. And he is training Denna to become an Amyr; and what Kvothe assumes (in his rush to be her knight in shining armor, with the nudging of the Cthaeh) to be marks of her being beaten are actually from her training.

Both Bredon and Ash use a walking stick, the times of their comings and goings in Severen seem to coincide, and it's possible Denna's rescuing of the prostitute may have been part of Amyr training.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 8, 2011

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sophia posted:

Well, take heart! Maybe Bast will get him back to his awesome ways by the end of the next book and he will punch through an entire horde of demons in one shot.

(Or maybe he'll write a long poem about Denna's cheekbones)

Couldn't it be both? "I split my mind in two and composed a lovely poem about Denna's Cheekbones, you've probably heard of it, while I demon punched a horde of demons right in their demons."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Absolutely. I figure his fellow mercenaries aren't gonna rat him out considering he saved their lives with it.

I'm also fairly sure that his fellow mercenaries were not particularly aware that he was a sophomore at Magic High, and if they were, probably are not too familiar with the intricacies of underage magic law.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

The 'prevailing' theory is that Master Ash is Bredon
Son of a bitch, I never thought of any of this but in retrospect it makes so much goddamn sense. "The Maer will deliver you onto the Amyr's doorstep", and he only meets Bredon after meeting the Maer? I suddenly need to reread this terrible book.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Just making a start on Wise Mans Fear and 120 pages in I'm losing any enthusiasm to read it. I'm just re-reading the same old poo poo over and over again. Being poor, getting tricked by Ambrose, playing lute, interviews for admission, borrowing money, making lamps etc etc. It's boring the second time round.

I'm glad to hear it picks up after all this, but I'm not the kind of person that will wade through 100, 200, 300(??) pages to get to new content. Kind of annoyed I paid £15 for this book.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dr Scoofles posted:

Just making a start on Wise Mans Fear and 120 pages in I'm losing any enthusiasm to read it. I'm just re-reading the same old poo poo over and over again. Being poor, getting tricked by Ambrose, playing lute, interviews for admission, borrowing money, making lamps etc etc. It's boring the second time round.

I'm glad to hear it picks up after all this, but I'm not the kind of person that will wade through 100, 200, 300(??) pages to get to new content. Kind of annoyed I paid £15 for this book.
Keep reading, it delves into a solid 500 pages of wildly different territory fairly soon. I was pretty surprised that the book lingered in the University as long as it did, but it's not a retread. Most criticisms are on... other fronts.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Dr Scoofles posted:

Just wait 'til you get 300 pages in. Nothing's happened so far and he springs a "I had an incredible week! Nearly died twice. But you don't want to hear about that, back to the tedium"

:psyboom:

Things do get more interesting later, but it's a long slog.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

In retrospect the entire first half of the book (though it does have some good parts), particularly two "these awesome things happened, but you don't want to hear about that" sections, may have been an intentional troll by Rothfuss.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

JT Jag posted:

In retrospect the entire first half of the book (though it does have some good parts), particularly two "these awesome things happened, but you don't want to hear about that" sections, may have been an intentional troll by Rothfuss.

This would've been funny if the book itself was much shorter. Doing that 2 or 3 times while spending how many chapters one amazing fairy sex is somethign else entirely. I'm not sure what, but it's not funny, so it can't be a troll.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

SpacePig posted:

This would've been funny if the book itself was much shorter. Doing that 2 or 3 times while spending how many chapters one amazing fairy sex is somethign else entirely. I'm not sure what, but it's not funny, so it can't be a troll.
No that thing was spotty writing and terrible editorial control, no way around it. That said, he had to do some sort of substantial Felurian section because Kvothe talks about it so much in the first book, it being one of his "favorite stories" and all. He painted himself into that corner. It just should have been a... edited down corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

From where I'm sitting, he could have spent a bunch of chapters in the Fae realm as long as it wasn't all about how he was becoming a Level 20 sex god. I think going to other worlds and learning mystical secrets about monstrous trees and creation mythology stories and whatever is neat.

He could have had lots of Fae adventures that taught him about the Chandrian or how to call on the true names of things. Instead he learned strangely named sex moves and then was given an edict to bang as many women as possible when he left.

• Locked thread