Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Man, Return Fire has to be the single most asked-about game in these threads.

Not that there's anything wrong with that because it was pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Yep it was Return Fire. Thanks mate. :)

quote:

Not that there's anything wrong with that because it was pretty awesome.

Yeah, me and a bud had a lot of good times with the split screen mode.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
This is going to be a bit of hard one, mostly because all I remember about it are bits and pieces.

It was a PC-game released around the year 2000. The small parts of the game (demo?) I can remember was that I controlled a bipedal robot. Somehow this robot was actually a bald man who had gotten "jacked in" Matrix-style into a world where people handled pent-up aggression by blowing eachother up (while being robots). In one of the first sequences a non-bald man helps him out and introduces him to the world.

The game was played in third-person straight-behind view, but I remember being able to build other robots and attack an enemy base. The "coolest" thing I remember is I could morph the bipedal-robot into a flying robot and fly around the skirmish map.

This ring a bell with anyone? I've tried to google around, but it's pretty drat hard when you can't remember the name itself.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
I've got a massive urge to play this and I'm dying if I can remember more than a couple of details:
DOS or PC RTS game with a fantasy theme, players chose from a large array of element based factions ((Earth, Fire, Light, Dark, Chaos etc) from a large circular menu. The battles themselves took place on a large chessboard patterned terrain area. It was very similar in layout to the total war games, i.e. large campaign map, autocomplete battles if you want etc (as a kid I remember autocompleting the battles seeming netting you a shitload more reward than doing them yourself). I dont think it had a particular licence, just fairly generic Greyhawk style wizards n dragons style units. Please help, because I remember it being great. Thanks :)

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

boner meter posted:

I've got a massive urge to play this and I'm dying if I can remember more than a couple of details:
DOS or PC RTS game with a fantasy theme, players chose from a large array of element based factions ((Earth, Fire, Light, Dark, Chaos etc) from a large circular menu. The battles themselves took place on a large chessboard patterned terrain area. It was very similar in layout to the total war games, i.e. large campaign map, autocomplete battles if you want etc (as a kid I remember autocompleting the battles seeming netting you a shitload more reward than doing them yourself). I dont think it had a particular licence, just fairly generic Greyhawk style wizards n dragons style units. Please help, because I remember it being great. Thanks :)

Maybe it's Master of Magic, or one of the Age of Wonders games.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lamquin posted:

This is going to be a bit of hard one, mostly because all I remember about it are bits and pieces.

It was a PC-game released around the year 2000. The small parts of the game (demo?) I can remember was that I controlled a bipedal robot. Somehow this robot was actually a bald man who had gotten "jacked in" Matrix-style into a world where people handled pent-up aggression by blowing eachother up (while being robots). In one of the first sequences a non-bald man helps him out and introduces him to the world.

The game was played in third-person straight-behind view, but I remember being able to build other robots and attack an enemy base. The "coolest" thing I remember is I could morph the bipedal-robot into a flying robot and fly around the skirmish map.

This ring a bell with anyone? I've tried to google around, but it's pretty drat hard when you can't remember the name itself.

This sounds like it could be the second One Must Fall game (OMF Battleground?). I only played the first game in the series, which was a Mortal Kombat-esque fighter, but I believe the second was that style of play, and that sounds like the same backstory.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i'm trying to remember a game i played around 2001-2003, where you you played a spaceship/hovertank thing. it was Top down and either 3D or pseudo 3D. what i really remember is the weapons were quite wacky, you had all these bouncy shots and stuff like that, very futuristic as well.

it was for PC, i got it off of some shareware disc i believe.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Lamquin posted:

doubleposting, but i remember some more of this game, where the backstory was that someone had figured out to kill people via the game. it was also a pretty drat good game too!

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X

Frobbe posted:

i'm trying to remember a game i played around 2001-2003, where you you played a spaceship/hovertank thing. it was Top down and either 3D or pseudo 3D. what i really remember is the weapons were quite wacky, you had all these bouncy shots and stuff like that, very futuristic as well.

it was for PC, i got it off of some shareware disc i believe.

Space Tripper? It's recently been ported to iOS.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Here's one for you oldies.

It was a BBC game from the mid 80s. It was a single screen game where you were a little plane bombing buildings beneath you (each bomb would only remove a few floors of the building). The plane would fly across the screen and when it reached the edge, you'd reappear on the other side but be flying a little lower. The idea was that you'd have to destroy all the buildings before you got so low that you'd crash into them.

Good luck! It's been driving me mad!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SecretOfSteel posted:

Here's one for you oldies.

It was a BBC game from the mid 80s. It was a single screen game where you were a little plane bombing buildings beneath you (each bomb would only remove a few floors of the building). The plane would fly across the screen and when it reached the edge, you'd reappear on the other side but be flying a little lower.

There's a ton of these on various platforms of that era. The BBC had 'Bomber Baron', which matches your description, but there would have been loads of versions I'm sure. 'Bomber' might be one as well.
If that's not it, the VIC-20 had 'Blitz', so perhaps you can search on that as well?

I think I typed one out of a magazine at some stage, too.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

duckfarts posted:

Twinsen's Odyssey/Relentless/Little Big Adventure?

Holy poo poo. It was totally Twinsen's Odyssey. You people are amazing.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I just remembered a game from probably the nineties - It was a Star Wars game, and it required a special keyboard for it - I know because I had to use that keyboard if I wanted to play it, and not my regular keyboard. I also remember that one of the levels you played as Chewbacca - I think it was the 2nd - and the last one was you destroying the death star. I think.
I mostly remember the keyboard, that most of it took place in space, but there was one ground level [that one with Chewbacca, which I could never for the life of me figure out what I was supposed to do]
I don't actually want to play this ever again, but I just remembered it this morning and trying to find the name has been bugging me all day. Also note that most of the specific details might be wrong, I'm going off vague recollection of what was at least 10 years ago.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

boner meter posted:

Could also be a Heroes of Might and Magic one. 3 or 4.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

boner meter posted:

I want to suggest Fantasy Empires, but only because fighting battles yourself was such a worthless undertaking that there was no point but to auto-complete them.

Joe
Dec 2, 2002

Sit perfectly still. Only I may dance.

scamtank posted:

I could swear that's Nightlong.

Oh God, thanks! The name's so simple as well... now to try to track it down, I remember the demo clearly for some reason!

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So I'm looking for an old game, but I have no idea at all what it's called.It was lets played here but I can't find that. It was an older game, from the 90s, 2d graphics, strategy type (4x?) game set in space. It was a dune knock-off type game. Had factions vying for control of the emperor and a patriarchate, like a byzantine empire in space. Thats all I can remember and I'd love to find it again.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds sort of like master of orion or fragile alliance.

It might also be something else entirely.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

organburner posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds sort of like master of orion or fragile alliance.

It might also be something else entirely.

Master of Orion is what it's closest like, but still no :smith:. It Really is along the lines of a dune rip-off.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Twitch posted:

This sounds like it could be the second One Must Fall game (OMF Battleground?). I only played the first game in the series, which was a Mortal Kombat-esque fighter, but I believe the second was that style of play, and that sounds like the same backstory.

It wasn't a fighter sadly, but thanks!

Frobbe posted:

doubleposting, but i remember some more of this game, where the backstory was that someone had figured out to kill people via the game. it was also a pretty drat good game too!

That sounds like it, yeah! Any chance you remember the name? :)

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Quantumfate posted:

So I'm looking for an old game, but I have no idea at all what it's called.It was lets played here but I can't find that. It was an older game, from the 90s, 2d graphics, strategy type (4x?) game set in space. It was a dune knock-off type game. Had factions vying for control of the emperor and a patriarchate, like a byzantine empire in space. Thats all I can remember and I'd love to find it again.

Emperor of the Fading Suns

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Psychorider posted:

Emperor of the Fading Suns

Exactly it! Thanks so very much!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The game I'm thinking of was a ps1 game I'm pretty sure.

It was top down view adventure/action game kind of like Zelda. I think you were Hercules, but maybe not because the only ps1 Hercules game I can find is a sidescroller. Anyway you kind of rolled around ancient Greece and poo poo fighting minotaurs in his maze and I remember I got stuck in a part with amazon chicks.

You could get money and spend it on poo poo, I remember you healed by buying gyros from some fat dude. I think it was 2 player. Graphics were kind of cartoony.

Help!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

It was top down view adventure/action game kind of like Zelda. I think you were Hercules, but maybe not because the only ps1 Hercules game I can find is a sidescroller. Anyway you kind of rolled around ancient Greece and poo poo fighting minotaurs in his maze and I remember I got stuck in a part with amazon chicks.

You could get money and spend it on poo poo, I remember you healed by buying gyros from some fat dude. I think it was 2 player. Graphics were kind of cartoony.

Help!

It's called Herc's Adventure which is probably why a search under "Hercules" didn't bring up anything.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Captain Beans posted:

Help!

Herc's Adventures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hut5wzdYNbw

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was this adventure game that came out free for the PC within the past 5 years. You played as two friends who went on an adventure through all these different settings, like a superhero world, an evil haunted house, an alien spaceship...

I was recommended it off these forums, and I cannot for the life of me remember a name well enough to get to replay it, but I know it exists.

It was very brightly colored, point-and-click adventure game. Like a Sam and Max, but with two people not unusual enough to be rememberable.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Lord Chumley posted:

Herc's Adventures.

This game is loving fantastic, especially as a co-op game. It feels like Zombies Ate My Neighbors or Toejam & Earl, but with a big explorable map like a Zelda game.

rotinaj posted:

There was this adventure game that came out free for the PC within the past 5 years. You played as two friends who went on an adventure through all these different settings, like a superhero world, an evil haunted house, an alien spaceship...

I was recommended it off these forums, and I cannot for the life of me remember a name well enough to get to replay it, but I know it exists.

It was very brightly colored, point-and-click adventure game. Like a Sam and Max, but with two people not unusual enough to be rememberable.
Ben There, Dan That, a game I really need to play through sometime?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Lord Chumley posted:

Herc's Adventures.

gently caress me I saw the other Hercules game on the PSN store a while back and got excited, but I don't think they have this one :(

e: gently caress and clowns want like 45 bucks for it on the internet noo

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 12, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Edit: Already answered.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Can't remember the name of this game anywhere but I'm positive it existed.

Mid 90's shareware game that you flew a plane around in first person, you could land the plane and get out on the ground. Point of the game was to destroy alien structures, if I'm remembering right they were inside these large forcefields that you had to fly the plane into in order to shoot it. And on the ground, the aliens were little black spheres with stick limbs poking out of them, you had a weapon but I don't think it was modeled on the screen, just put crosshairs over them and shoot.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Mouser.. posted:

Can't remember the name of this game anywhere but I'm positive it existed.

Mid 90's shareware game that you flew a plane around in first person, you could land the plane and get out on the ground. Point of the game was to destroy alien structures, if I'm remembering right they were inside these large forcefields that you had to fly the plane into in order to shoot it. And on the ground, the aliens were little black spheres with stick limbs poking out of them, you had a weapon but I don't think it was modeled on the screen, just put crosshairs over them and shoot.
This could be Corncob 3D/Deluxe.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
I've asked about this in the past but I'm pretty sure it was another thread since I can't find any posts I made in this one.

This was an old PC game I had on floppy discs that I borrowed from a friend of mine, in the early 90's (Pretty sure it was 1992 or 1993). The game was a top-down view similar to smash tv, and I believe the gameplay was similar. You played as a little man with a skull head and a cape (at least that's what it looked like to me) and basically ran around a room slashing enemies with your sword until they were all dead and you advanced to the next level.

I could have sworn this game was called Mordor, or had the word Mordor in it, but searching for that doesn't reveal anything that looks similar, and I have no idea if it was in any way associated with LOTR.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
I've been trying to remember a game I used to play on my family's old Tandy back in like 90-93. You flew a space ship and battled people in space. You could also land on planets and drive around in a tank like thing. I remember one planet reminded me of Hoth.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

This could be Corncob 3D/Deluxe.

That's definitely it, thank you very much. Game's incomparably ugly but I still have fond memories of it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

There was a thread about a driving game that came out and wasn't very good but has been fan patched to be awesome. I can't remember the name of the game or thread or anything. It was apparently made into a really impressive wide open driving experience where tons of vehicles could race one another. Anyone remember what it was?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

doctor 7 posted:

There was a thread about a driving game that came out and wasn't very good but has been fan patched to be awesome. I can't remember the name of the game or thread or anything. It was apparently made into a really impressive wide open driving experience where tons of vehicles could race one another. Anyone remember what it was?

I'm pretty sure this is the PC version of Pure?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the PC version of Pure?
Or perhaps Fuel.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

MMAgCh posted:

Or perhaps Fuel.
That's it, thanks!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

This is a long shot since I'm pretty sure that it's never been translated into English but I'll ask anyway:

The game in question is a Japanese freeware action-RPG I played quite a bit about 5 years ago or so, though I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It had extremely high production values for a freeware game and looked almost commercial-quality compared to what was out at the time. It was entirely in 3D and seemed like it really wanted to be a MMO but was single-player. I vaguely remember the plot involved two warring countries hanging out in a newly-discovered ancient city or something that was a neutral zone while they explored it looking for...something, I don't remember. Though you were just some neutral guy looking for an old war buddy out for revenge or something. You only controlled one character but could have several other party members whose AI you could fine-tune, like FF12's Gambit system only much more granular. The game was very grindy, with a lot of farming enemies for rare parts to repair or hopefully upgrade your weapons or rings, which you used to cast magic. In addition to the story mode, there was a free mode where you could play as any of your companions (and I think this might have been the only way to level them up)

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Genpei Turtle posted:

Japanese freeware action-RPG

The Ruins of the Lost Kingdom maybe?