Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I guess I have to be the one to say that the original Alladin was set in China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Aladdin is nominally about a Chinese dude in the original. Disney made him Arabian, presumably because it was less confusing for the audience.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I don't think you can blame Disney for that. I never thought he was a Chinese guy.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

"What are these guys talking about, Aladdin being Chinese? They're joking. Everyone know Aladdin comes from the tale in The Book of One Thousand and One Nights, which is Arabian."

Wikipedia posted:

Aladdin (Arabic: علاء الدين, ʻAlāʼ ad-Dīn; literally, "nobility of the faith") is a Middle Eastern folk tale. It is one of the tales in The Book of One Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights), and one of the most famous, although it was actually added to the collection by Antoine Galland (see sources and setting).[2]

"Ha! I knew it. I can't believe they got me to look it up."

Wikipedia posted:

Although Aladdin is a Middle Eastern tale, the story is set in China, and Aladdin is explicitly Chinese.

:psyduck:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I'd disagree with that, China doesn't really mean China as such, but is instead used as the most distant place imaginable at the time. In the story its fairly obvious that everyone in the story is meant to be middle eastern.

It's similar to the way that a European fairy tales might be set in a "far away land" but everyone in the story is still European.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'd disagree with that, China doesn't really mean China as such, but is instead used as the most distant place imaginable at the time. In the story its fairly obvious that everyone in the story is meant to be middle eastern.

It's similar to the way that a European fairy tales might be set in a "far away land" but everyone in the story is still European.
Or when you have stories about Jesus and the Apostles in Judea but everyone's White.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw some sort of D&D Monster manual in the library and started flipping though it. I soon realized two things:

1. There are way too many were-creatures. There is even a were-sealwolf, a person that turns into a seal/wolf on a full moon. Also a Jackalwere which is a jackal that turns into a person.. Mixing animal a with animal b or making a animal/human hybrid also seems to be very popular.

3. Almost all evil races live in tribal societies :stare: ....yeah.

But all of you nerd probably know this already.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 9, 2011

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

I saw some sort of D&D Monster manual in the library and started flipping though it. I soon realized two things:

1. There are way too many were-creatures. There is even a were-sealwolf, a person that turns into a seal/wolf on a full moon. Also a Jackalwere which is a jackal that turns into a person.. Mixing animal a with animal b or making a animal/human hybrid also seems to be very popular.

But all of you nerd probably know this already.

Your library has AD&D in circulation?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It was on one of those plastic display stands next to the video game and hobby magazines. One of the librarians must be a hardcore D&D player.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

It was on one of those plastic display stands next to the video game and hobby magazines. One of the librarians must be a hardcore D&D player.

"Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: As Seen at Half-Price Books!"

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Battletech Loves the 80's

Featuring one of the best, and coincidentally most-80's, images of any WTF article.

Edit: Speaking of Battletech and by extension Robotech, I think they'd make good subjects for a Blue Stripe article. I've always been fascinated by the number of maintenance hours fighter jets need for every hour of flight, but imagine adding the wear and tear of transforming into a robot onto that.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 20, 2011

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

quote:

It looks like the family unit from one of the later Heinlein novels.

Hardest I've laughed in quite a while. :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This most recent article on Battletech managed to be several orders more bizarre than the material it was commenting on.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

FreudianSlippers posted:

They don't all happen to be wielding... spears right? :blush:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

Battletech Loves the 80's

Featuring one of the best, and coincidentally most-80's, images of any WTF article.

I agree. This was one of my favorite "WTF D&Ds?" and it completely reinforced my love of classic 80's Battletech. I still say that Fourth Succession war Battletech of the 80's is the best Battletech, both because it is what I grew up playing and being affected by and because of the ridiculous but undeniably bad-rear end aesthetic. It's not entirely unlike throwing giant robots, lasers, Lita Ford, and the costume designer of Zardoz into the film Red Dawn.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Mindisgone posted:

Well, not all of them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mindisgone posted:

No one wields spears. 1d8 x3 is awful.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

Schwarzwald posted:

No one wields spears. 1d8 x3 is awful.

they don't have enough GP for anything else :(

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

quote:

Zack: They're just staring at me because I am the hideous monster in their world. It's like that Twilight Zone episode.

Steve: That was on an airplane not a bus.

No, Steve, that's not the episodes Zack's talking about! He means the episode that follows this one woman in a hospital where everyone keeps reacting to her as if she's hideous and needs plastic surgery even though she looks normal, and at the end we find out all the other people have really ugly pig faces but they don't see themselves as ugly because ugly pig faces are the norm for them while the lead woman's normal face actually looks hideous in their eyes.

Steve, the episode you're thinking of is the one where there's a man riding in a passenger airplane who sees a gremlin on the wing of the plane that no one else sees. It's a completely different episode. How the hell could you get them confused? It doesn't even make sense!

Seriously, it's just... :psyduck:

Miss Hime
Jun 14, 2008
I'd just like to point out that the skeleton king on page 10 appears to be jacking off.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Schwarzwald posted:

Seriously, it's just... :psyduck:

It's like an episode of the Twilight Zone!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Some of those pictures were clearly drawn by an artist with some genuine artistic talent. Maybe no AAA-grade stuff, but surely someone who can find something better to do with their time and skills than draw ghouls ripping apart a chainmail bikini babe.

Have you tried looking closely at the person being ripped apart? I tried to, in order to figure out the exact level of loving detail put into it. They were painfully professional about drawing the whole mess, no obscuring cloud of blood or anything. Bleugh. I know nothing but regret, that "you cannot unsee" label was no joke.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I read this with the distinct feeling that what I was looking at was quite possibly illegal.

doctor clockwork
Oct 22, 2004

It's a dark day for mad science
Anyone else notice that zombie is reaching UP between her legs to rip into her guts :psyduck:

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

James Edward Raggi IV e-mailed me to point out that the image posted above, of the woman being torn apart, literally was done by the guy who did all the Cannibal Corpse album covers.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
I'd like to see you guys do the Book of Erotic Fantasy. One of my friends did some of the illustrations for it (and as a result I playtested it), and it had all kinds of fun controversy surrounding it with the D20 label and so on. Plus I mean it's pretty much boobs. Boobs and furries. And rules for magic condoms.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

StealthStealth posted:

I'd like to see you guys do the Book of Erotic Fantasy. One of my friends did some of the illustrations for it (and as a result I playtested it), and it had all kinds of fun controversy surrounding it with the D20 label and so on. Plus I mean it's pretty much boobs. Boobs and furries. And rules for magic condoms.

I think EPG did a solo walk-through a while back, but it would be enjoyable to see him and Steve play off of each other with it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Nucleic Acids posted:

I think EPG did a solo walk-through a while back, but it would be enjoyable to see him and Steve play off of each other with it.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/role-playing-corner-2.php

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

quote:

Steve: We may be super nice, especially if your game is not at all about giant monster heads coming out of a babe's private area. Like if you sent us an RPG that was like "hot babes swimming and suntanning and doing karate moves topless to relax the RPG" we would give it great comments.

Zack: Does that mean you're soliciting copies of Anima: Beyond Fantasy?
You know, I'd like to see this. It would open with Zach thinking he's finally caught a break, only to stumble onto the horrible truth: pages upon pages of tables, mechanics seemingly copied from a junior-level stats class, confusing and nonsensical translations, and a ridiculous 'Copied From the Wikipeida Page on Christianity' world setting.

That would probably result in a pretty dry article, though.

TheBigC
Jan 22, 2007
Hey, I was going through the WTF, D&D section and I noticed that the FATAL review (which was really a non-review, but whatever) wasn't in the table of contents.

If you are new to the feature, check it out, it's terrifying!

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/fatal-worst-rpg.php

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

TheBigC posted:

Hey, I was going through the WTF, D&D section and I noticed that the FATAL review (which was really a non-review, but whatever) wasn't in the table of contents.

Huh, that's weird that it isn't in the list. Let me try to figure out what's going on with that.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

elpintogrande posted:

Huh, that's weird that it isn't in the list. Let me try to figure out what's going on with that.

Do you think that your Book of Erotic Fantasy review could be added to the WTF D&D section, even though it's actually front page news? On a somewhat related note, the first few Fashion SWAT articles were also front page news, and are therefore not on the Fashion SWAT index.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Can articles be in more than one index? It might be worth having some in Front Page and the relevant subcategory of feature, to account for those front page updates that became their own offshoot series.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

TheBigC posted:

I figured they excluded it on purpose, but on the other hand it is probably necessary to have it in the listing no matter what so people won't ask them to look at FATAL.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Just wanted to say that because of WTF, DnD I've bought a bunch of 2nd Edition AD&D stuff and am going to be DMing a Spelljammer campaign. Thanks?

dogbox
Mar 19, 2007

Give me back my stick.

Koos Group posted:

More importantly though, did Zack ever admit that Steve Sumner was his brainchild?

So... Steve doesn't really exist?

Nooooooo

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

dogbox posted:

So... Steve doesn't really exist?

Nooooooo

Steve is real. I gamed with him once. He kept on making fun of my bard and when I told him in-character that I didn't know what a "guitar" was and that I was playing a citerne, he rolled initiative on me.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Does Steve have enough material yet for another Barbarian's Dojo or is that dead & buried?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

Does Steve have enough material yet for another Barbarian's Dojo or is that dead & buried?

Barbarian's Dojo gave the best review of Bioshock I think I've ever heard. My memory of it other than that is dim, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

At long last, WTF, D&D!? returns... and with a new contest!?

Haha, holy cow, I heard that the fourth monster manual was full of lackluster ideas, but those were all just so awful. Oh look, another air elemental. With FISTS. My favorite was the deathdrinker, though. Just reclining, all saucy impertinence.

• Locked thread