Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Kaninrail posted:

People are pretty abusive to operators.. but then, they're pretty abusive to retail people too, and the job is a lot easier and usually has less rear end in a top hat managers, because it's pretty hard to tell someone to answer the phones faster.

I technically have a drat good job for retail; I don't work in the store direct but deliver things store to store so I don't deal with customers much. But it seems bad luck has hit my coworkers in the past month: one coworker got into two accidents in two days, another got dinged by a red-light camera and has to pay a big ticket, and I myself got into a preventable accident. Another accident or red-light or anything on my record and I'm done driving for the company, possibly forever. I do love my job and the benefits are great, but there's the issue if I do gently caress up again, I might be forced back into a store, if any of them are hiring.

Then there's rumors around that a driver is being fired/let go/quitting but no one knows who, so everyone is on edge; the managers aren't saying a word otherwise.

I don't know. If the hospital offers me more money, I might have to go that way. They're also a lot closer to my house, and if all else failed, after a year my driving record would be cleared with the company I work with now, so I could always chance going back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!

homeless poster posted:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I was busy not working retail this weekend. :D

I guess I'm not quite sure about giving general interview advice, because in my experience twenty different interviews conducted by twenty different managers will result in them looking for twenty different (sometimes mutually exclusive) answers. Additionally, there seems to be a fair amount of 'good old boy' bullshit that goes on, whether anyone will cop to it or not, and the majority of the interviews for a position are really being conducted because they legally have to, in spite of the fact that there is already one candidate that they are planning on hiring anyway. So, with all of that in mind, here goes:

1. Depending on how close of a relationship you feel that you have with your bosses (GM / assistant manager / other supervisors) it can be beneficial to just ask up front if the position being filled is truly an open interview, or if there is a candidate that is strongly being considered. It also doesn't hurt to ask the people who will be conducting the interview (provided you know who they are) what type of person or behaviors they are looking for. The tricky thing here is that if you are told "Well of COURSE it's a open interview we're going to hear what everyone has to say and then pick the best candidate based upon their responses" you've now got to try and read the bluff, and determine for yourself whether this person is being honest, or giving you the HR approved answer to weasel out of telling you the truth. There's really no easier way to approach this.

2. Always have a 30/60/90 day plan, in writing, and bring multiple copies just in case you end up interviewing with a panel of people (which is pretty common for supervisor positions and above) and be prepared to explain what behaviors and results you anticipate at each step of the plan. It doesn't have to be super detailed, and should definitely not be longer than one page of paper, but it does need to have specific, measurable goals. Stuff like "improve the attachment of accessories and branded payment applications" sounds good but is generally too vague, instead say something like "engage in weekly 1 on 1's with employees to coach the proper execution of branded payment offerings and establish weekly goals during these meetings that can be used to track individual and department progress weekly/monthly/quarterly". You're basically saying the same thing here, but being extra specific gives you a better leg to stand on if you get asked to give details about your plan.

3. Here's a snap-shot of feedback I was given during my half-decade in retail, with regards to interviews that I did not pass:

"Your answers were good, but got a little lengthy. Try to keep your responses short and to the point."

"Sometimes it can benefit you to elaborate further on your responses. Giving short answers can make it look like you aren't sure about your response."

"You used the word "I" very frequently and we felt that it may indicate that you miss opportunities to solicit the feedback from peers and subordinates."

"You gave a lot of examples that referred to your success as part of a group effort. In the future, don't be afraid to say "I accomplished XXX" because it shows that you are a confident leader who stands by their decisions."

"You mentioned that you frequently use trackers and monthly employee interactions to measure your department's success. That's all well and good, but it seems like you spend too much time in the back office to be an effective floor leader."

"You talked about how you are a dynamic presence on the floor, moving frequently from manager calls to employee concerns to spending time coaching and training in the heat of a sale. We were really hoping for someone who has a better system of tracking performance and developing their associates with month over month interactions."

So in conclusion, you're either going to get the job because they already consider you a strong candidate, or you're going to end up pissing in the wind. Best of luck on the interview!

Thank you again for the great responses! Yeah I know exactly how it goes with the ambiguously open promotion stuff. Last time we were essentially told no one from our store would get the position I applied to, but I interviewed anyways. This time I was told by a sales manager that he thought "it would be a really good idea for you to apply for the 2 supervisor openings, between us. We talked about you and a couple other guys in a leadership meeting the other day being good candidates. Even if you don't get the job, we're going to see what we can do about giving you a raise."

In any other job that would sound like a sure thing, but drat are these managers backhanded and poo poo haha. This time they are doing one of those panel interviews, never had an interview with more than 1 or 2 people doing the interviewing before. I'm currently going over my notes and writing down a 90 day plan for my interview tomorrow, great idea!

Apocalypse Please fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 6, 2011

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Our men's room is a single toilet deal, not a big line of urinals and stalls. Today, someone decided to just go full blast and piss everywhere in the men's room other than the toilet. Then, they decided to take a couple of piss-soaked paper towels and stuck them in a little fake potted plant we have in there, so someone would HAVE to touch them. This loving job...

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

silversiren posted:

I have no idea. But I was given any grief about it, I had my argument all ready: "Are YOU going to compensate me the $25 copay plus the $10 worth of gas it will take me to get to the doctor's office?"
Actually instead of letting it get to that point, I just wrote up a fake doctor's note for myself. If they're going to treat us like children, might as well act like one and forge a note.

I had an opening shift today, 7 in the loving morning. We hadn't even been open for 30 minutes when some lady comes through my line, since I was the only cashier there, and slams her poo poo on the belt.
"Hi ma'am, how are you thi--"
"EXCUSE ME, I COULD NOT FIND THE PLASTIC GALLON JUG OF THIS MILK AND IT IS THE ONLY KIND MY KIDS CAN DRINK SO I SUGGEST THAT YOU GIVE ME THESE TWO HALF GALLONS FOR FREE RIGHT NOW."
"*stammering* Uhm.. uh, I mean where did you look? I can go ask someone if you like me to--"
"YEAH YOU BETTER GO ASK SOMEONE BECAUSE I WANT THIS MILK FOR FREE."
Apparently she's caused trouble before, bitching and literally yelling and screaming to get her way, so the manager took one look at her and just went, "Give it to her."
I mean jesus loving christ lady, it's just loving MILK. What the hell happened in your day already that's made you such a bitch?
And I kid you not, 3 customers later, a man came through with the exact kind of milk, in the plastic gallon jug she was looking for.
Sometimes I wish and hope and pray that I can find a better job just so I can put in my 2 weeks here and get to say whatever the hell I want to customers who act that way.
Eugh, I dislike your manager. When people are being that difficult and you reward them for it, they're just going to keep coming back.

I'd have sent another employee to find the milk she wanted - since it was apparently there, and since milk tends to be restocked multiple times daily, is highly unlikely to have gone out of stock in the first half hour of the day - made her wait a bit for it, and then eventually had the employee show up with it. There's virtually nothing to complain about there; she wanted a product, the store sent an employee to find the product, found it, and now she can have it.

If people are known to be difficult and want ridiculous poo poo for free, the worst thing you can do is reward them for their behaviour.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Rohaq posted:

Eugh, I dislike your manager. When people are being that difficult and you reward them for it, they're just going to keep coming back.

If people are known to be difficult and want ridiculous poo poo for free, the worst thing you can do is reward them for their behaviour.

Absolutely agree with this. Keeping the customer happy has to have SOME kind of limit. Wanting two smaller things for free just because the large one wasn't available is just crazy, I couldn't believe the manager just let that go. Even if the item WAS out of stock completely, which it wasn't.

Crazy people like this need to be told that their ridiculous demands are just that. Ugh, seriously, who goes to a shop, sees that the item they want is out of stock, and immediately thinks "Must mean I get two smaller packs free then"..?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Rohaq posted:

One of the biggest lessons my mom taught my brother and I when we were really young is "No matter how big a tantrum you throw, you will not get what you want."

Working retail has shown my mom was a dirty liar. :)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Today was Free Comic Book Day, Where thousands of people I'll never see again stampede to the comic book stores to get free poo poo.

We gave away more than 1000 comics, and when we ran out, people became assholes. I'm proud of myself though, I only actually snapped at one guy.

:mad: I came all this way, and waited in line for half an hour, I should get something free.
:hehe: All I have for you is lots of Sarcasm.

That shut him up pretty quickly.

Edit: His tone of voice was much more rear end in a top hat-ish than mere typed words can convey.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

One of the biggest lessons my mom taught my brother and I when we were really young is "No matter how big a tantrum you throw, you will not get what you want."

Working retail has shown my mom was a dirty liar. :)

Yeah, it's fun. We had one lady who was NOTORIOUS for being a colossal bitch to everyone including technicians who would go to her house. At the start of the call, she bragged "I'm such a bitch I get whatever I want because you'll give it to me." Unfortunately, thanks to our managers, yes, yes she did get whatever she want. It's tragic that woman gets techs whenever she wants and some polite old lady gets hosed.

That said, her issue was that her house and lines kept getting hit by lightning. I personally feel it's a divine entity of some sort telling her not to be such a cosmic rear end in a top hat.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

The General posted:

Today was Free Comic Book Day

WHY DO I KEEP loving MISSING THIS DAY. This has to be the third year in a row, too. :negative:

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Guests, we'd LOVE for you to have a party of 50 on a Saturday night! It would be absolutely fabulous and wonderful and I'm all for it. However, please call ahead and let us know that you'll be coming so that we have enough servers on the floor/food in the restaurant/preparations made. I say this to ensure that that the people who just wanted to come in with one other person and chow down on some sushi don't have their meal ruined because you're throwing a colossal bitch fit at the host stand about how we should be prepared for an impromptu party of 50.

also I would like to go one, just ONE, shift without one of my managers being in tears or this one coworker of mine complaining about absolutely everything humanly possible to complain about

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Guests, we'd LOVE for you to have a party of 50 on a Saturday night! It would be absolutely fabulous and wonderful and I'm all for it. However, please call ahead and let us know that you'll be coming so that we have enough servers on the floor/food in the restaurant/preparations made. I say this to ensure that that the people who just wanted to come in with one other person and chow down on some sushi don't have their meal ruined because you're throwing a colossal bitch fit at the host stand about how we should be prepared for an impromptu party of 50.

also I would like to go one, just ONE, shift without one of my managers being in tears or this one coworker of mine complaining about absolutely everything humanly possible to complain about

God, that sounds familiar. (especially the manager in tears part... I love you, J, but crying doesn't help when your staff is a bunch of hardcore type-As)

I work for a trio of restaurants at a hotel, and we host a big extravagant brunch on mothers' day. We opened up for reservations at the end of march, and we've been at >90% capacity in the restaurant since late april. People were calling us all night tonight, as late as 11:30, begging for a seat for their party of 15. Maybe people just don't realize that we're a popular destination? Parties of 12 walking in at 7:00 on a saturday night, 25 people coming in for lunch out of nowhere, all sorts of this nonsense happening CONSTANTLY.

We also host the biggest NYE event in the city (a tourism destination in the midwest), and people were pissy that our restaurants wouldn't take walk-ins. Insane how entitled some people are.

e: Since I'm posting anyway, I REALLY wish it was easier to fire incompetent people, and harder to fire competent people who happen to smoke pot. All the best people that have been fired from here were fired for miniscule drug offenses, and all the idiots are useless sober idiots.

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 8, 2011

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
For all the poor guys who have to work today for Mother's Day serving bitches who feel entitled that it's Mother's Day, my mom says good luck. We went out to dinner today to a nice buffet and relaxed and Sunday is going to be hell for pretty much all restaurant workers. I hope time goes by fast for you.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
Friday night was... Interesting.

120 portions of fish and chips. In one order. During the busiest period of the busiest day of the week. And then they arrive twenty minutes early and bitch that it's not ready.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
It still blows my mind that people just don't plan ahead for large orders. If your place is anything like my local chippie then even on a Friday night it would have three, at most four staff total. What the hell is a place like that meant to do with an order like that?

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

We had to call the police on Friday after a creepy homeless guy wouldn't stop harassing me and a coworker. Where were all you posters who fantasize about stepping in and helping other retail workers deal with lovely people? My poor coworker was in tears after ten minutes of this creep making filthy comments and trying to put his arms around her while she tried to pack up the stall and escape, and despite this being a crowded area of town nobody did a goddamn thing to help her out.

Earlier in the day I was covering her lunch break while this creep passed by and about five people were sitting on the nearby benches listening to the following conversation and doing nothing:

:zombie: How old are you, sweetheart?
:j: Sixteen. [I'm not, but I was hoping this would scare him off. Bad idea.]
:zombie: Baby, you are so loving sexy.
:j: That is so creepy! Stop harassing sixteen year olds! We do not want to talk to you. Leave us alone.
:zombie: I know you like it!
:j: Go away! Do not speak to us!
:zombie: I'm coming back for you later.

Thankfully it's being dealt with now and hopefully we'll never see him again, but the total apathy of all those bystanders was really loving disappointing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"if those girls really didn't want to talk to him then they would get a better job! "

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

SpartanIV posted:

"if those girls really didn't want to talk to him then they would get a better job! "

This and the bystander effect. Apparently people have been murdered while onlookers walked on by.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I feel bad for something similar to that but not so extreme. I have a coworker who was on the register while I was tending to something at the front of the store, and she's a small girl- all of 4'11, very petite.. These two older women were talking about how tiny she was and how young she looked and how she looked 12 instead of 21.. Oh, yeah, I'm sure she's never heard any of that before, ladies. I didn't know what to say, but she's used to it so she just let it roll off. I don't know what I'd do if I had to go through every day with someone telling me how tiny I was. (no innuendo intended...)

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

TShields posted:

I don't know what I'd do if I had to go through every day with someone telling me how tiny I was.

Oh, just like your wi-

TShields posted:

(no innuendo intended...)

I'll be good. :(

to contribute: I hate people who don't get the concept of clearance merchandise. If something is sitting on a shelf with a big red and yellow label showing a very low price with a price more typical of the rest of the shelf saying "WAS: $$$" then you should assume it's on clearance, even if you can't read the word "CLEARANCE!" on that same label. All our sale signs say "excludes clearance merchandise" right on them, every single one, I hang them myself so I drat well know.

This bitch tried to stop me because her frames weren't coming up on the BOGO. I told her they were clearance and already far more discounted than they would be for the sale, but this wasn't good enough. The manager of the framing department did a price check for me, and confirmed it. She still wanted to get one of them free. I kept telling her she was already getting $70 worth of frames for less than $20, but that just wasn't good enough. My store manager even said if she wanted the drat sale so bad I could override them to their original price and she just got fed up with it all and put them back.

I checked them later that night and it looks like someone had torn the clearance tag off. I would have been more than happy to sell her $20 worth of frames on sale for $35 if she had wanted it so badly!

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

rolleyes posted:

It still blows my mind that people just don't plan ahead for large orders. If your place is anything like my local chippie then even on a Friday night it would have three, at most four staff total. What the hell is a place like that meant to do with an order like that?

Five staff. One of whom is the most incompetent rear end in a top hat you'll ever meet (I've been into this before), the other speaks barely any English and a trainee who is still in the more-hinderance-than-help stage. That left two competent workers dealing with this.

Also, god drat. Creepy homeless guys don't sound like fun. The homeless guys we get in can be a bit blunt, or unsociable at times, but they're never creepy like that.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

The RadioShack I used to work at gave me a ton of good homeless people stories. Right by the dumpsters of the shopping center was a trail into the woods that led to a little tent town a bunch of them made in the woods, so they would come by for pay-as-you-go phones and batteries. And to steal. So much stealing.. It always blew my mind what useless poo poo some of them would buy. One pair put their begging cash together and got a PSP and a couple games. I mean, I know it gets boring, but drat, if I was flat broke and had a PSP, it'd be the first thing out the door!

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I really, really hate it when people treat me like I'm absolutely stupid just because I'm a cashier. Sorry in this economy I can't find a better job, but I know how to count, I know how to ring things up, I know that's BOGO, I know that's.. etc etc etc. They talk to me like I'm a child.
I also can't stand it when people act like I've committed murder just because I put something else with eggs or with meat. Ok, I don't think some cilantro or a loaf of bread is going to crush your eggs. Actually I'm pretty certain they won't. And you put your meat in like 3 plastic bags already and your bagged each of your fruits/vegetables, do you REALLY think they're going to be touching each other? If I'm on express and I ask, "Do you mind if I bag your meat with your fruits/vegetables?" they do that child talk again, or they get really snarky and go, "Uh, do you think you should?" or "Didn't your parents teach you not to put meat and veggies/fruits together?"

copy of a fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 8, 2011

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

silversiren posted:

They do that child talk again, or they get really snarky and go, "Uh, do you think you should?" or "Didn't your parents teach you not to put meat and veggies/fruits together?"

Regardless of what you are doing or who you are talking to, there is no excuse for this.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
You don't have good homeless - or at least, dirty transient people stories, until you've worked the closing shift at a record store with a porn section.

:gonk:

Having to make them leave every night scarred me.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Luquos posted:

Also, god drat. Creepy homeless guys don't sound like fun. The homeless guys we get in can be a bit blunt, or unsociable at times, but they're never creepy like that.

There was one creepy homeless guy from my first retail job who I hear still shows up. He smells like a mixture of decay and listerine. He'd been barred from all the liquor stores in the area, so he drank listerine for the alcohol content.

He'd show up and ask us to lace up his shoes for him. :gonk:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

froglet posted:

There was one creepy homeless guy from my first retail job who I hear still shows up. He smells like a mixture of decay and listerine. He'd been barred from all the liquor stores in the area, so he drank listerine for the alcohol content.

He'd show up and ask us to lace up his shoes for him. :gonk:

Someone buy that man a pair of Crocs.

Abercrunchie
Jun 9, 2009
You know how 99% of retail stores have closing annoucements? (IE: "Attention shoppers, the store will be closing in ten minutes!") Well, ever since our store went from franchised to corporate about a year ago a decision was made to stop doing this.

I've been working there for a few years and it was sometimes hard enough getting people to quit shopping WITH the announcements. They just plain ignored 'em. Now every night it's pretty much a guarantee to have at least five shoppers remaining after the store closes. Also, there is only one cashier available at this time, AND we only have half an hour after closing to do our nightly cleaning duties after close.

I'm just... totally clueless as to HOW those people in upper management concluded that the closing announcements were a bad thing. If any of them are in the store that late then us cashiers get reprimanded if we decide to make any announcements.

Has this happened to anyone else? I guess it kinda sounds petty now that I think about it, but it's snowballed into a retarded situation for the closing cashier every night.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have one of the creepy customer stories.

When I was 18 and at university I worked at an electronics store in Ottawa, in a major mall. A couple Nigerian guys came in (their nationality is actually important to the story later on, I'm not being racist) looking for a SIM card for their phone while they're in Canada on business.

They didn't want to pay $25 for a SIM card plus the money for the credit, so we told them to go to the Rogers store in the mall since we couldn't actually discount the price to zero but figured they might be able to.

Anyways, 10 minutes later they're back because Rogers wouldn't do it either, and one of them "really, really liked my beautiful face". OK, creepy customers, get it over and done with. Anyways I ring up the transaction, and the guy asks me for my name. I give him my first name since it's on the receipt anyways, and he tells me it's a beautiful name. Then he tells me about his business in Canada, and his family in Nigeria. I think ok, this is less creepy, the fact that he's showing me pictures of his wife and 12-13 year old son.

Then he tells me that according to Nigerian law, he's allowed to have four wives, but only has one at the moment, and wants to know if I would be willing to join him in Nigeria and be his second wife. So I tell him no, I have a boyfriend anyways. He literally picks up our store phone and asks me to dial my boyfriend so he can ask if he can take me to Nigeria to be his wife.

Anyways, after about 40 minutes of this, the mall closed and he had to leave, and my coworkers walked me out of the mall after we'd finished up to make sure he didn't hang around to follow me home or anything.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I have the worst headache in the world and an interview today to do hospital switchboard work. It's overnight and part of me is is very nervous. I loving love my delivery job but if I get hit by a red-light camera or anything of the kind then I lose it. So it's good behavior and luck for a year or gone for good. I don't know if I should be excited or not, chances are this is just a routine interview.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Why do you keep making a big deal about getting dinged by a red light camera? I get all your other concerns because sometime poo poo happens, but avoiding a ticket for running a red light just involves...not running a red light. Or even a yellow one, because the cameras can be real assholes about when they snap the photo.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
I'm assuming he drives a large truck for delivery jobs, probably a stick shift. It can be difficult stopping and starting again with a stick shift, especially if you're driving in an urban environment. Running a red light often lets you keep your momentum and not hold up traffic like you would if you had to stop and shift back up to speed.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Ornamented Death posted:

Why do you keep making a big deal about getting dinged by a red light camera? I get all your other concerns because sometime poo poo happens, but avoiding a ticket for running a red light just involves...not running a red light. Or even a yellow one, because the cameras can be real assholes about when they snap the photo.

I'm not sure if it's related, and I'm a fairly new driver (about 2-3 months since getting my license), but I've developed a paranoia of lights going red too fast for me to stop, either getting me an expensive ticket or causing me to have to slam on my brakes at the last minute, neither of which is preferable.

This is probably just bias after being with SMG for so long, but last night I finally got a chance to visit Alamo Drafthouse after so many goon recommendations, and it seemed like most of the policies there were designed to be as convenient to employees as possible. It's like, who gives a poo poo if their pants don't always match? If they're dressed comfortably they'll be able to work harder. Or for that matter, why does the entire atmosphere have to be "professional"? The only people who would care are old nancies.

If anyone works there, feel free to correct me, but it just seemed like everyone was generally working an even pace there all the time, even during the pretty busy night that it was. Instead of SMG's retarded order of servers doing very little for a lot more pay while runners do all the poo poo work and get constantly disrespected. It's like they copied the very basic stuff from the Drafthouse and then designed it all specifically to be ideal for uptight middle-class couples and obnoxious families, while retaining the laid back atmosphere for only half the workers.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ninja_Orca posted:

I'm assuming he drives a large truck for delivery jobs, probably a stick shift. It can be difficult stopping and starting again with a stick shift, especially if you're driving in an urban environment. Running a red light often lets you keep your momentum and not hold up traffic like you would if you had to stop and shift back up to speed.

If you own a stick shift and are at a disadvantage to other drivers in terms of getting "off the line", practice more.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

baquerd posted:

If you own a stick shift and are at a disadvantage to other drivers in terms of getting "off the line", practice more.

I'm just going off of what I know from riding around with my dad, who is routinely pulling heavy equipment through big cities.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ninja_Orca posted:

I'm just going off of what I know from riding around with my dad, who is routinely pulling heavy equipment through big cities.

That was my fault, I didn't scale it up to a semi, which would make more sense.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Most cities will systematically shave yellow light times by a specific amount (a half second?) when installing a red light camera. Larger vehicles often can't stop in time anymore. This isn't very safe, but it has to be done in order to produce enough violations to pay for the camera.

But anyways, the world would be better if everyone treated a yellow light as a "stop if possible" light, rather than a "warning" about a red light. Most people I know believe that if the hood of the car overlaps the white line at any point before red, then this means go.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Orange means step on the throttle right?

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Ninja_Orca posted:

That has less to do with the fact it's a stick shift and more with how much weight they have to move. It's much slower and harder to stop or start if you are driving a large vehicle or pulling/carrying a lot of weight.

As for trouble with lights, if you are paranoid about lights going red too fast for you to stop, learn to look ahead and see what the lights are doing before you get to them and you can avoid this. If there is a walk symbol then you are in no danger of the lights suddenly changing on you, if the hand is flashing then you might have to stop but its not a given so take your foot off the gas and be ready to brake and just let yourself coast forward depending how far back you are.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Wow, these last few posts have amazed me. People think running red lights is acceptable over there? For reasons like "I can't drive a manual vehicle properly"? If you can't stop reliably for red lights, you shouldn't be driving that vehicle. Red lights are there for a reason, and sooner or later someone's going to get killed with that attitude.

Here in the UK everyone is expected to learn to drive a manual car, and although you can take the easy option and get a lesser automatic license, you're then not allowed to drive manual cars on the road. The majority of people learn to drive properly and get a full manual license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Wow, these last few posts have amazed me. People think running red lights is acceptable over there? For reasons like "I can't drive a manual vehicle properly"? If you can't stop reliably for red lights, you shouldn't be driving that vehicle. Red lights are there for a reason, and sooner or later someone's going to get killed with that attitude.

Here in the UK everyone is expected to learn to drive a manual car, and although you can take the easy option and get a lesser automatic license, you're then not allowed to drive manual cars on the road. The majority of people learn to drive properly and get a full manual license.

In some areas, yellow lights last under three seconds.