Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Econosaurus posted:

If I were to study abroad in Turkey next summer, would it be feasible to go visit Poland, Germany, Russia, SE Europe, etc over weekends? Would it be prohibitively expensive?

It depends a lot on where you live in Turkey. If you are in Istanbul, you might find some cheap flights here and then. If you live anywhere else, you won't find flights for less than 300 euro and you'll still have to go through Istanbul, which usually screws weekend getaways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Pegasus flies from Istanbul and other Turkish cities and is a budget airline. There are also trains and buses.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
The problem with Pegasus is that, excluding flights from Istanbul, the rest is either inside Turkey, to Germany or to the Turkish occupied part of Cyprus.

There are some flights here and there to other countries from Ankara, for example, but they only flight a couple of times a week and are usually more expensive than what you'd expect from a budget airline.

There's also Anadolujet, AtlasJet and OnurAir.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm planning on taking a trip to Italy, Austria and maybe Croatia or Slovakia in August. The stereotype of European clubs is that it is mostly Techno. Is that true? If so does anybody know a good way to learn to dance to techno music? Here it is pretty much all hip-hop and occasionally some Lady Gaga or Ke$ha so I have no idea. Techno sounds a lot more danceable though.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm planning on taking a trip to Italy, Austria and maybe Croatia or Slovakia in August. The stereotype of European clubs is that it is mostly Techno. Is that true? If so does anybody know a good way to learn to dance to techno music? Here it is pretty much all hip-hop and occasionally some Lady Gaga or Ke$ha so I have no idea. Techno sounds a lot more danceable though.

It's basically the same top40 from the last 2 years that everyone in north america plays in your average club, you have to go to a themed place for it to be different usually

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Landsknecht posted:

It's basically the same top40 from the last 2 years that everyone in north america plays in your average club, you have to go to a themed place for it to be different usually

Oh, darn. Thanks anyway though.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

duralict posted:

I've been in Europe for two weeks now and couchsurfing is exhausting using only wifi, I spend half my time looking for hotspots. What's the most cost-effective way to get a cell phone that I can use all over Europe (or better yet, all over Eurasia)? I know there are prepay plans available but they all seem expensive and all I really actually need is SMS ability.

Hey I've just come back from a month backpacking round Europe. I managed to find a job in Rotterdam so briefly returned to swop my bags round, then go back next Thursday to resume working in a call centre :( But it's money to keep travelling right?

Anyway, in response to your question, most places in Western Europe have a prepaid phone that has amazingly cheap SMS and call rates to most of Eurasia and costs about 10 euros a month, if you use it a lot. I find prepaid much better so I can go without a phone in tough times instead of say, food. Keep an eye out for internet cafes and ask around.

Oh, and if anyone knows anywhere to rent cheap in Rotterdam or the surrounding area I would love some help. I don't mind sharing, I just need a roof and hopefully a mattress. People have mentioned rents from about 250 euros a month which would be awesome. Plus I've received so much help from random people offering me their couch that I have a lot to repay, so any goons in need in the area (from Thursday) let me know :)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

OctaviusBeaver posted:

In Croatia techno was really popular some 10 years ago but even then mainstream tourist clubs wouldn't normally play it. It's always a combination of top40 (dance/house/hip-hop), local music and occasional rock evergreen.

But I would anyway suggest getting slightly drunk (to relax) and looking at how people around you dance, instead of breaking into some routine that you copied of Youtube.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Techo is only more danceable than hip-hop if you are awkward and goofy. That said, please don't try to teach yourself how to dance off Youtube, it's really easy to not dance like an rear end.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Desdinova posted:

Oh, and if anyone knows anywhere to rent cheap in Rotterdam or the surrounding area I would love some help. I don't mind sharing, I just need a roof and hopefully a mattress. People have mentioned rents from about 250 euros a month which would be awesome. Plus I've received so much help from random people offering me their couch that I have a lot to repay, so any goons in need in the area (from Thursday) let me know :)

Look up "anti-kraak". Basically you will be put in a building / house for a relatively short time (depends, some of my friends have been in there for nearly a year) to prevent squatting. It's extremely cheap though you don't nearly have as many rights as you would have if you're actually renting something.

Good luck though, I've been looking at a cheap place to move out to for about 1.5 years now.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Doctor Malaver posted:

In Croatia techno was really popular some 10 years ago but even then mainstream tourist clubs wouldn't normally play it. It's always a combination of top40 (dance/house/hip-hop), local music and occasional rock evergreen.

But I would anyway suggest getting slightly drunk (to relax) and looking at how people around you dance, instead of breaking into some routine that you copied of Youtube.

Yeah now that you put it that way this was probably a bad idea to begin with. In my area dancing in clubs and bars is pretty much grinding and absolutely nothing else (nobody knows how to do anything else), is that how Europe is too?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Yeah now that you put it that way this was probably a bad idea to begin with. In my area dancing in clubs and bars is pretty much grinding and absolutely nothing else (nobody knows how to do anything else), is that how Europe is too?

There is no specific name for dancing in the clubs over here, but I would definitely go easy on grinding. If you want to press your crotch against a girl's body, make sure she's really into you and that no guys in her party are watching you threateningly.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Doctor Malaver posted:

There is no specific name for dancing in the clubs over here, but I would definitely go easy on grinding. If you want to press your crotch against a girl's body, make sure she's really into you and that no guys in her party are watching you threateningly.

Haha, ok thanks. I'll just keep an eye on what everyone else is doing first.

Anyway does anyone have any strong feelings about travelling to Croatia vs Slovenia vs Slovakia vs Hungary? I really know very little about any of those countries but I am definitely interested in hitting one or more of them. Are they cheaper than say Italy or France? I've talked to people who traveled and they said they found hostels for $7-$15, which sounds cheaper than what I heard quoted for most of Europe, so I figured I could extend my stay a little by going there.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Anyway does anyone have any strong feelings about travelling to Croatia vs Slovenia vs Slovakia vs Hungary? I really know very little about any of those countries but I am definitely interested in hitting one or more of them. Are they cheaper than say Italy or France? I've talked to people who traveled and they said they found hostels for $7-$15, which sounds cheaper than what I heard quoted for most of Europe, so I figured I could extend my stay a little by going there.

You said you'll be traveling in August so I recommend Croatia. With its long coast and hundred islands, it's a definite summer destination. That is, if you're at all into swimming, beach parties and other stuff that comes with summer on the Mediterranean coast. And yes, it's cheaper than France and Italy.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Desdinova posted:

Oh, and if anyone knows anywhere to rent cheap in Rotterdam or the surrounding area I would love some help. I don't mind sharing, I just need a roof and hopefully a mattress. People have mentioned rents from about 250 euros a month which would be awesome.
http://www.wonenmvm-rotterdam.nl/index.htm
https://www.kamernet.nl
jaap.nl

Rooms start at €200, appartments start at ~350. Some organisations have requirements for renting such as a steady job.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 8, 2011

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Slovenia is pretty similar to austria/north italy in terms of outdoor things to do, there's a lot of hiking trails, huts to sleep at and mountain biking that's gotten really huge. The country also has autobahns now, so it's pretty easy to get around.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
I'm currently in the process of booking accommodation for Dublin, Berlin, Rome and Paris. I've been using all the sites from the recommendation thread but am looking for some personal goon experiences. Places that are social but not too noisy, close to attractions/city centres and secure. Price isn't really important. I was also thinking of staying in hotels in some of my stopover places (where I'm staying <2 days) just to get a bit of rest from people.

I have this place bookmarked but I don't know why (I think it may have been mentioned somewhere in the thread):

http://www.hostels247.com/checkavailability.php?day=6&month=7&year=2011&nights=2&book.x=20&book.y=3&hid=2681&tid=35&ccid=17 - Bunkhouse Dublin.

Anyone?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Thank you very much for the links!

Although the price is right, 120 euros a month for a empty garage without even a sink seems a bit daft. I'll find something. Besides, I have to survive till payday on the 10th of June first. Is there no legal squats anymore?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

gregarious Ted posted:

I'm currently in the process of booking accommodation for Dublin, Berlin, Rome and Paris. I've been using all the sites from the recommendation thread but am looking for some personal goon experiences. Places that are social but not too noisy, close to attractions/city centres and secure. Price isn't really important. I was also thinking of staying in hotels in some of my stopover places (where I'm staying <2 days) just to get a bit of rest from people.

I think I stayed at the Circus Hostel in Berlin. It was easy to find, the rooms were really nice, bathrooms were clean, it was relatively cheap (though still one of the more expensive hostels). It has like a 98% rating on hostelworld. The bar in the basement is nice, they had karaoke and a hilarious shrine to David Hasselhoff. Plus it's well-located.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Desdinova posted:

Thank you very much for the links!

Although the price is right, 120 euros a month for a empty garage without even a sink seems a bit daft. I'll find something. Besides, I have to survive till payday on the 10th of June first. Is there no legal squats anymore?

Antikraak that Jeoh-Kun mentioned is still legal. Downside is that you have pretty much no legal rights. But it's cheap.

(just some random links i have no experience with these companies)
http://www.be-zet.nl/particulier/en/aanmelden.htm
http://www.interveste.nl/
http://www.adhocbeheer.nl/

edit: Just to clarify Antikraak isn't squatting. Squatting is now illegal.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 9, 2011

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
Today, my brother offered to use his frequent flier miles and hotel points to take me and him on vacation for my college graduation, but he needs to know by next week.

He was thinking of going to England, Ireland, and Netherlands, but we haven't planned much out yet, but I'm still open to travel elsewhere in Europe.

The only concern is that I have to pay for everything else, food, alcohol, etc and I have no idea how much that is going to cost. He was thinking it would be up to $1,000 USD for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks? Is this a realistic cost, I've never done much traveling before, but I figured if I was careful with my money it would be less? He is giving me relatively little notice, so I have not had much time to save up for it. Sorry if this is really vague, I just don't have much planned yet.

Also, I've always been a big soccer fan and wanted to go to a game but I believe the EPL season is almost over and Man U is pretty much guaranteed to win and I'm guessing Champion's League tickets would cost a TON. Any recommendations??

Edit: He wants to leave early June

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
If you don't have to pay for hotel or transportation, it's definitely realistic - I spent about a hundred pounds in my week in London. I drank excessively and ate in nice restaurants twice, but I also didn't do anything that charged an entrance fee, bought food from supermarkets and walked everywhere. That works out to more or less your budget (100 pounds/person/week adds up to about $750-800), so long story short: you can definitely manage it on that budget, and you can afford to class it up a few times as long as you don't get extravagant. But think seriously about how much you want to go to Ireland, England AND the Netherlands, because if you want to do it on that budget you'll have to be much more watchful about when you spend your money.

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
I'm just paying for my own food and etc.

Its not set in stone yet on where we are going.. Been busy with finals this week and graduation. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up some more hours and add a bit more to the cash fund as well as get some graduation money!

I'm just trying to determine is this is feasible and a preliminary estimated budget.

I've always wanted to go to Europe..and now that its a possibility, I can't decide where and what I want to do there!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Premier League Season finishes on the 22nd of May and the Champions League final is on the 28th. Your only chance of competitive football this summer is the under-21 European Championships in Denmark.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

The Sock posted:

I'm just paying for my own food and etc.

Its not set in stone yet on where we are going.. Been busy with finals this week and graduation. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up some more hours and add a bit more to the cash fund as well as get some graduation money!

I'm just trying to determine is this is feasible and a preliminary estimated budget.

I've always wanted to go to Europe..and now that its a possibility, I can't decide where and what I want to do there!

As much as I love going on last minute trips, can't he postpone the trip by a couple months into the summer/end of summer or something? Gives you more time to prepare though I think $1000 not including airfare is doable provided that you stay in hostels and eat smart (i.e., buy food from grocery store).

e: How are you getting around in Europe though? Your brother can most likely just fly you into and out of Europe so I'm assuming LHR (London). From there you'll (or your bro) probably have to pay your own way to Ireland and then to Holland and back.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 10, 2011

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

duralict posted:

If you don't have to pay for hotel or transportation, it's definitely realistic - I spent about a hundred pounds in my week in London. I drank excessively and ate in nice restaurants twice, but I also didn't do anything that charged an entrance fee, bought food from supermarkets and walked everywhere. That works out to more or less your budget (100 pounds/person/week adds up to about $750-800), so long story short: you can definitely manage it on that budget, and you can afford to class it up a few times as long as you don't get extravagant. But think seriously about how much you want to go to Ireland, England AND the Netherlands, because if you want to do it on that budget you'll have to be much more watchful about when you spend your money.

He's staying for 1 1/2 weeks not 1 1/2 months. If you go through $1000 in London in 10 days and you're not paying for transportation or the hotels, then you should hold off ordering so much Dom P. and Beluga caviar for high-end prostitutes on Regent Street.

If you're splitting the hotel, then $1000 will cover your trip comfortably (but not extravagantly).

E: If you're just buying food and alcohol for both of you, a budget of ~$300/week is reasonable assuming you eat out several times a week and drink a lot. You can easily spend less than that though (but not under $100/week unless you're digging through trashcans and eating ramen).

VVVVVV
You almost literally cannot spend $1000 on food and alcohol for yourself in 10 days without ODing and dying, even if you're eating at the finest restaurants in London every single night. $500 will easily cover your expenses for the entire trip.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 11, 2011

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
He is paying for has enough points to cover air fair and hotel points for the whole trip for both of us. I'm only paying for my OWN food, drinks, etc.

That sucks about the soccer matches, maybe some other time.

He is coming down for my graduation this Friday, so we will discuss it further there. It might be better to push it back a bit more if possible. I was thinking 1,000 would be alright, but it might be better if I can get some more money just in case.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
dude seriously a grand is enough to travel however you want for that time frame. The only thing you have to think about is whether it's worth the extra couple hundred dollars to make it to Holland and Ireland, too, or if you'd rather buy a couple hundred dollars worth of booze.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!
Here's a cool, yet dishonest trick I learned on the fly in Paris.

If you're ever in Paris on the 8th, you can easily scam the Museum pass by writing a really bad 8 on your pass, and then once it's stamped and is the next day, turn the 8 into a 9. To play it safe, you should activate the pass at Les Invalides to get their stamp, as they're open more days of the year than any of the other museums.

VOILA, you've now added another day to your pass.

On a side note, Les Invalides is a great museum that is rarely ever crowded, and is probably my favorite in Paris. You also get to see the old French army and foreign legion veterans hanging around the place, which gives it a sense of humanity.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

gregarious Ted posted:

I have this place bookmarked but I don't know why (I think it may have been mentioned somewhere in the thread):

http://www.hostels247.com/checkavailability.php?day=6&month=7&year=2011&nights=2&book.x=20&book.y=3&hid=2681&tid=35&ccid=17 - Bunkhouse Dublin.

Anyone?

http://www.pfefferbett.de/en/ this is a really good hostel in Berlin, right next to the Senefelderplatz U-Bahn station.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
Hooooaky. So I'm flying into Germany with my partner in less than a week. We've got a hotel booked in Frankfurt (where we land) for one night, a train ticket from Frankfurt to Hamburg for the next day (ICE), and a night in a hotel in Hamburg. After that, her distant relatives from somewhere near hamburg are meeting us, and we're off to stay with them for a week or so. While I'm going through the whole anxious "Oh, god, what if I can't find the hotel/miss the train/can't find the other hotel" thing, I'm pretty sure that that part will be fine. We have some Euro cash in hand already. We'll be ok. I hope.

Anyway, what we're planning next is the actual freak-out bit.

We're buying a van.

At least that's the plan - buy a van, do our own "on the road" touring, and (hopefully) save money (other than the cost of the van, obviously).

So basically, here's what I feel I really should know (and probably should have tried to find out long before now):

Buying a vehicle
We're buying in Germany. From everything I have read, this is a good idea because older camper vans and the like are much, much, cheaper there. We can also use my partner's relo's address for registration/insurance, so that should be fine. What I'm not certain about, though, is the budget. We're thinking 3000-4000 EUR for a van, which should be roadworthy-ish? Are we entirely insane?

Phones
We're planning on being in Europe for a while - up to a year. I would much prefer to get a local, pre-paid phone (or stick the sim in my current phone), than pay international roaming charges to my current provider. What providers are worth looking at, in terms of cost and coverage? If I get a phone in Germany, then go to France, does that mean that I'm using international roaming anyway, or do phone plans/carriers cover "Europe" in general?

Mobile Internet
Essentially the same/similar dilemma with the phone - what's worth it? Should I just find a really good phone deal with stacks of data, and use tethering (keeping in mind that that would probably involve me buying a phone which supports tethering)?

Budgeting
When we leave, we'll have about $15k AUD, which equates to about 11k EUR. Keeping in mind that a huge chunk of that will be going on a van, how long should we expect to be able to survive? I don't want to get down to the absolute wire before looking for work, but I don't want to be jumping into a job as soon as I get there, either. It's meant to be a holiday, damnit. I'm hoping for at least like 2-3 months of travelling before I have to seriously look for work.

Euros/Pounds
How interchangeable are the two, and perhaps more importantly, how likely is it that I can get away with using mainly my MasterCard Debit, rather than cash? Should I go and buy up a bunch of Euro now before I leave, or just buy it, as needed, while there?

I get the feeling that I've been a giant idiot about all this, that our plan is retarded, and that we'll run out of money in 2 weeks and get stranded somewhere. But that's just the "Oh, poo poo; what comfort zone?" thing.

tl;dr - I'm probably a giant idiot, and our plan is retarded. Probably.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

bobthecheese posted:

I get the feeling that I've been a giant idiot about all this, that our plan is retarded, and that we'll run out of money in 2 weeks and get stranded somewhere. But that's just the "Oh, poo poo; what comfort zone?" thing.

tl;dr - I'm probably a giant idiot, and our plan is retarded. Probably.

First off: your tourist visa is only valid for 3 months. You have that figured out? If you're driving around Europe for a year without valid documentation, I can basically guarantee you will be caught, fined €500/person, and deported to Australia.

You might consider leasing the vehicle instead, since registering the car at the beginning and then selling the car at the end will be a hassle, unless you plan on keeping it somehow, and you can lease a much nicer vehicle than any POS you can buy for €4000. You can get a roadworthy car for €4000 but it won't be nice.

Just get SIM cards in every country, or get something like WorldSIM which will be good in all of them but more expensive per-minute. Don't get a phone plan, since you'll be fixed to one country, and I doubt you're really going to use a telephone all that much anyway; just use Skype when you call people from home.

You can buy 3G wireless keys for fairly cheap, like 1 GB bandwidth for $10. I don't know of any that are good in more than one country, but probably such keys exist.

If you spend €4k on a car, then €7k should last y'all 3-4 months if you're travelling all the time and eating/sleeping frugally. Gas is expensive--seriously consider leasing a fuel-friendly vehicle like a diesel or hybrid.

You can pull money out of the ATM with your MasterCard debit; you don't need to exchange any money beforehand except maybe a little for buying food in the airport. Just make sure your bank knows you're travelling to Europe. Euros and pounds are easily converted in any major city and at the border crossings, but an ATM is still easier.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

Saladman posted:

First off: your tourist visa is only valid for 3 months. You have that figured out? If you're driving around Europe for a year without valid documentation, I can basically guarantee you will be caught, fined €500/person, and deported to Australia.

You might consider leasing the vehicle instead, since registering the car at the beginning and then selling the car at the end will be a hassle, unless you plan on keeping it somehow, and you can lease a much nicer vehicle than any POS you can buy for €4000. You can get a roadworthy car for €4000 but it won't be nice.

Just get SIM cards in every country, or get something like WorldSIM which will be good in all of them but more expensive per-minute. Don't get a phone plan, since you'll be fixed to one country, and I doubt you're really going to use a telephone all that much anyway; just use Skype when you call people from home.

You can buy 3G wireless keys for fairly cheap, like 1 GB bandwidth for $10. I don't know of any that are good in more than one country, but probably such keys exist.

If you spend €4k on a car, then €7k should last y'all 3-4 months if you're travelling all the time and eating/sleeping frugally. Gas is expensive--seriously consider leasing a fuel-friendly vehicle like a diesel or hybrid.

You can pull money out of the ATM with your MasterCard debit; you don't need to exchange any money beforehand except maybe a little for buying food in the airport. Just make sure your bank knows you're travelling to Europe. Euros and pounds are easily converted in any major city and at the border crossings, but an ATM is still easier.

OK, thanks.

Re: visas, yes, I'm aware that the tourist visa for Germany lasts only 3 months, but I'm also aware that you can apply for a longer visa while in the country (which has to be easier than trying to contact the German consulate here).

I also have a Youth Mobility visa for the UK (good for up to 2 years, live and work), so if something goes wrong on the "getting a longer German visa" front, I can fall back to that for the rest of the stay.

My partner is fine because she's technically a British citizen (her mother was born in London in a brief window of time when such citizenship was passed on, while her family was emigrating to Australia). She's got a British passport as well as an Australian one, and will probably be using that for mobility while there.

Registering/Selling the car may be a hassle, but there are people on the ground in Germany (her family), who can help us out with the registration and selling side of it. Leasing just sounds like it would be too expensive. "Nice" isn't a particular priority any more than "roadworthy and running". I can guarantee that whatever it is, I've owned worse vehicles. I guess I haven't tried to live in them, but hey, that's what adventure is about, right?

I'll look into WorldSIM, but yes, skype will probably be more important/reliable than an actual mobile.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Okay, so I'm planning a trip to Europe (USA citizen), and I'd like an indefinite stay. Let's say a few years. What's the easiest way to work that out, legally? I mean, I know I could probably overstay a visa and most likely would never get caught but I'd rather make it work proper. (Especially since the EU may now be bringing back passport controls between countries) The ideal setup is that I'd be free to travel basically whenever or wherever I want without restriction (without having to get citizenship). Or as close as I can get to it.

Obviously, a standard tourist visa (or rather, the visa exemption) is out of the question. What's the alternative?

1. a. I don't need a work permit. Just assume I can prove that I can financially sustain myself. Would a residency permit in an EU country be the best way to go? Where would be the best place to get residency?

b. What does a residency permit in an EU country allow me to do outside of the country I obtain it in? Say I get a Spain residency permit and then travel to France. Am I restricted to the standard 90 days then, or will be residency "follow" me there? If I am restricted to the standard 90 days, does that 90 days extend to every country in the Schengen dealie?

2. If there's an easier option, what would it be?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

1. a. I don't need a work permit. Just assume I can prove that I can financially sustain myself. Would a residency permit in an EU country be the best way to go? Where would be the best place to get residency?

This comes up way too often.

Yes, you need a work permit. Residency and work permits are tied together in the European Union. You can go the EU and get hired and apply for a work permit for one year only. You can get one from home if you apply for a job and are hired, which will only happen if you are highly qualified. However, the European job market is as bad as the American job market at this moment and you will not be hired. You will not get a work permit. European companies can hire Bulgarian and Romanian immigrants to do their menial labor without needing to go through or pay for additional paperwork. Unless you're a medical doctor or engineer or otherwise unduly qualified for a job, you will not find one, either before you come to the EU or while you're here.

The best option is to enroll in a university and get a student visa, which will allow you to work part-time as well. Other than that, you're pretty much out of luck. Overstaying your visa by 'a few years' isn't really an option. What if a family member dies and you have to return home? All your stuff is left in Europe and you can't get it back.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
So even if I have means of financially sustaining myself without working, there's no way to get residency? And no alternatives?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

So even if I have means of financially sustaining myself without working, there's no way to get residency? And no alternatives?

If you're literally a multi-millionaire, then you can probably get some sort of special exemption, but otherwise no, you have to get a job and get a work permit.

VVVVVV I'd still be surprised if they actually approve such an application. Also you need to show proof of ownership/leasing/rental property in Spain, so you'll have to have something set up beforehand. (I'm also surprised renting property is enough--maybe they mean like a real place and not just a small apartment. Switzerland has special deals for residency, but then you actually have to own property. But, I guess the Swiss are particularly restrictive too, so maybe you'll be in luck.)

If you somehow do get a permanent resident card for Spain, it's good for unlimited, untimed travelling in all of the Schengen zone, by international law. Plus let us know, I've literally never heard of this working out for young, middle class, working-age people (but maybe it's because usually they get a job or go to school instead of going this route).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 13, 2011

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
At risk of at least partially answering my own question, I got linked to this over IRC:

http://www.maec.es/subwebs/Consulados/LosAngeles/en/MenuPpal/RequirementsEntrSpainVisas/Residencia/Paginas/noticia1.aspx#secc2

Which seems to indicate that with sufficient funds and a ton of documents, you can get a residency permit for Spain. But I still don't know what exactly that means, or what rights I would get as a traveler. Or if there are better options. I'll keep researching this, I suppose.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Are you married to your partner? If she's a British citizen, you have pretty much no problems, you're guaranteed a residency permit in any country in the EU as the spouse of an EU citizen. Even without said residency permit, if you're accompanied by her on every border crossing you go through (important! don't split up, you should both go through the same line, even if there's an EU citizen / non-EU citizen line) the officials can only question or detain you if you're believed to be a threat to national security, and not for visa overstay issues.

Secondly, obviously there's no guarantees, but saying you absolutely will be caught for overstaying a Schengen visa is a massive overstatement. People regularly overstay their visas and even work without getting caught. Your odds are actually quite good so long as you're not crossing Schengen boundaries often and not crossing any borders with a reputation for being tough, like Turkey -> Greece. I knew many, many people who lived and worked in Germany and regularly flew home to visit family, all for multiple years without a residency permit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

enki42 posted:

Secondly, obviously there's no guarantees, but saying you absolutely will be caught for overstaying a Schengen visa is a massive overstatement. People regularly overstay their visas and even work without getting caught. Your odds are actually quite good so long as you're not crossing Schengen boundaries often and not crossing any borders with a reputation for being tough, like Turkey -> Greece. I knew many, many people who lived and worked in Germany and regularly flew home to visit family, all for multiple years without a residency permit.

My understanding of his post was that he is going to Europe is to travel around the continent for a year, in which case he does have like a 100% probability of being caught if he doesn't have proper authorization. I cross Schengen borders by car maybe twice a month on average and I've been checked about 10% of the time in the past year and had my information run in the station twice. Once was even an internal check 20 km from the border inside France.

Anyway it sounds like he probably has the visa stuff worked out, so the rest is relatively less serious.

VVVVV I meant internal country crossings within the Schengen zone, not crossing from Schengen to non-Schengen states. Internal crossings are still pretty frequently manned, even more so now because of the influx of illegal North African immigrants.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 13, 2011