Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
I don't shoot huge bands but when I've been bored on a night without assignment I just show up and shoot. If you look like you belong, people assume you do (including bands).

I usually use them for portfolio use but they have turned directly into promo assignments after the band sees them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

RizieN posted:

What do you guys do with some great concert shots (like the one of the singer laying down, thats awesome)? Do you send the band's PR people a link to a gallery and hope they wanna use one? Just have it for personal use? Or are you doing assignments for publications?

I work for a music blog. I find the band management/press people for a local show and then send them an email saying:

quote:

to: person
subject: Photo pass request for Sleigh Bells 4/22 @ Granada Theater.

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a photo pass for this Friday's show at the Granada Theater in Dallas for Sleigh Bells & CSS?

I work for InYourSpeakers.com, an indie music blog.

Thanks,

dunkman
Photographer
InYourSpeakers.com
The f/1.2 and the Furious http://tfatf.com/

The response;

quote:

Hey dunkman!

You’ve got a photo pass.

I’ll send you a contact asap.

Thanks!

Then a few hours later I'll get an email saying something like "hey dunkman, here are the names of the people on site if you have trouble at the door." Sometimes I will never get this 2nd email.

If I can't find the press people for a band, I'll often call the venue itself and ask who the management contact is for the band I want to see. Something like, "Hi, my name is dunkman and I'm a photographer for a local music blog, I'm trying to get a photo pass for the BLAH show, and know I need to go through the Management company, but can't find their info..." They'll usually give you the name of the person, or their email. If not, at least the company. Once you have the company, just go to their site and poke around for a contact email. I try to email at least a week in advance, and follow up a few days before the show.

Some of the bigger management sites:

http://www.biz3.net These guys rep a ton of, uh, relevant bands Daft Punk, and have their poo poo together. Just use their contact page to ask about press passes. They're pretty permissive, I would say. I got in to shoot Chromeo when it was just me and my portfolio site. They appreciate it when you email them back after the show with a link to coverage.

http://www.pressherenow.com/ Press Here is also pretty big, roster right on their front page. I emailed in, got no response, then called up their office, and spoke to someone instantly who had seen my email but hadn't taken care of it yet. She had to call the venue 45 minutes before doors opened to get me on the Photo list. It all worked out, but they're probably understaffed.

http://www.bighassle.com/publicity/index.html BigHassle is one of the other big ones. They never got back to me on two different emails, so maybe I'm not big time enough or emailed the wrong person.

If you're just starting out a new blog or something, go ahead and ask to be put on their press release list, because you will then get FLOODED (make a new email for this, like press@blogname.com) with all of their shows, for all of their acts ever. If you ask for a press pass, and get coverage for their experimental xylophone solo artist touring coffee shops, you're more likely to be on their good side when you ask for a press pass to Lady Gaga. Also the press releases usually have the direct contact email/name/number for the show you want, making it easy.

Once you have a repoire with a person at a management company, you can do things like ask for interview time before the concert, and possibly get a backstage pass. Then you can do the cool green room photos or whatever.

I hope this helps, if you have any more specific questions, let me know. I've only been shooting for a blog for, uh, 6 weeks. But I've been getting in to shows since last year with just a Big Camera. Now it's easier.

Edit: Always email the band people, even if you don't think you'll get it. The worst that can happen is they never get back to you, or say it's only for daily newspapers or something.

Double Edit: My reading comprehension skills failed me, you ask what the goal is. I guess to get exposure for my photos. For the Cut Copy Show, the press people who got me the photo pass asked me they could put my photos up on their facebook page.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 25, 2011

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Found out a couple things today about my photos. First Man Overboard contacted me and asked to use a couple of my photos in a photo/story book they were working on. They'll send me a free copy of the book when it's finished so I said yes.

Second is that I've got a photo on a t-shirt of Transit's which I've posted below. I'm pretty stoked about that and should be getting the t-shirt at some point soon

Photo for reference

Transit-92 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 25, 2011

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

dunkman posted:

Lots of awesome information.

Thanks so much for this post, I just emailed one of the labels on your list about covering some of their bands at Lollapalooza. Fingers crossed!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

dunkman posted:

Double Edit: My reading comprehension skills failed me, you ask what the goal is. I guess to get exposure for my photos. For the Cut Copy Show, the press people who got me the photo pass asked me they could put my photos up on their facebook page.

Either way thats still a lot of good information. Thanks! Looking at the Black Angels website it seems I took the same photos as everyone else who gets a photo pass for them, but mine have more noise (stupid D80 :argh: ) but it was still fun, and who knows, maybe they'll put em on the website under 2011.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensemisch/5659674591/]

Here's a shot of a band I've shot many times before. They're an instrumental band, so I thought it'd be interesting to shoot them "anonymously" since no one in the band is singing/talking. The band ended up loving the idea.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nice concept and awesome execution!

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Last night was an interesting evening.

http://www.tfatf.com/album/8b946k
Chromeo w/Erykah Badu

Rio Room (a Dallas super-lounge) was having it's Grand Opening (soft opening) and it was being hosted by Dallas native Erykah Badu and Chromeo.

The place was pretty much pitch black. And I was told I couldn't use the flash near the DJ booth, but it was fine for pictures of patrons.

This other photographer there was one of those like TMZ.com / DirtyD sites. There were a couple Dallas-ish Celebrities there (Marion Barber of the Cowboys, Owen & Luke Wilson). He was being a complete rear end in a top hat photographer, stopping waitresses carrying drink orders to take their picture while they obviously were just trying to get by in a packed house, going through roped off table areas to step over their couch to get around. Standing on poo poo, it was a mess. Unfortunately we were both dressed the same, luckily I am shorter and fatter. He ended up getting his camera confiscated and all the pictures deleted. One of the owners of the club actually came up to me yelling about how I can't act like I was (standing in a corner near the DJ booth) until I explained that it was the other guy behind him acting like a moron.

IMG_5034-2.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_5084-2.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_5163.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_5288.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

IMG_5540.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

Not a fan of

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I try to run as stealth as possible when shooting a concert. I've occasionally had musicians tell me later that they saw my photos online and were surprised because they honestly didn't know anyone was taking photos. If I'm shooting a band where I'm good friends with the guys then I might mess around but generally I try to get more of a natural photo as opposed to an intentional one. I work to avoid getting in the bands way and avoiding interfering with the fans having a good time. It doesn't always work out that way, but I try.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Okay the photo is a little bit larger in the new issue of AP than I thought. Not really a BAD thing, just surprising to me. I thought it was going to be smaller.

I think this issue hits shelves on the 3rd so I'll have to go pick one up (my friend who has a subscription sent me this picture)

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 30, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
That is really fantastic.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
haha, seriously awesome.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
I got a chance to shoot The Dillinger Escape Plan on Thursday at First Avenue in Minneapolis. Totally worth the drive.

The Dillinger Escape Plan. by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

The Dillinger Escape Plan by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

The Dillinger Escape Plan by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

A Wizard
Jan 9, 2007

pr0digal posted:

loving awesome

Friend supported my band so I took some pics:

first time using my flashgun and I also tried some split toning in post, I am honestly not sure if it looks over done or not?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Alright, I was messing around with a few pictures in my overflowing reject pile and decided to try to salvage some because, well, why not.

3 Inches of Blood by Abnegātus, on Flickr

3 Inches of Blood 175 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

The empty space in them really throws me, and although I like the poses, the whole lack of a background (or anything else in the picture besides the subject) really seems to mute the energy. I didn't edit out the backgrounds or anything, the show was just pitch black, and what wasn't black was illuminated by red light. The few people who have seen these said they were great - but to be frank I would rather have the opinions of people who are more adapt than I at concert photography give me an opinion on these two.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I'm a little biased because I like high contrast pictures but those look really awesome. As far as the composition goes, that sort of a "Huge negative space" has been popular with a few photographers from my area, so It's not a huge leap.

I also think the second one would be perfect for an ad of some sort. I can just imagine "New Album In Stores Now!" below the logo.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I know this isn't entirely the thread for it, but I and a buddy of mine ended up shooting a last minute music video the other day. Its being edited as we speak, and I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

awesome photo dunkman, and those inches of blood photos would go great on a tour flyer as well.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Alright, I'm going to be shooting a few bands on the 20th (Heathen, Destroyer 666, etc.) and I was hoping for some advice.

I've only shot one show before hand, and out of 250/300ish pictures I salvaged 5. Yes, salvaged - I didn't particularly think any were really good. Anyway, that night I switched between aperture and shutter priority modes (trying to figure out if I could get more depth of field vs a sure and steady ability to be able to capture or drag motion); ultimately I focused on shutter priority and tried my best. Auto ISO set up to 3200, and I ended up doing evaluative metering because I could not for the life of me now destroy the exposure of a picture with spot metering. To be safe, I underexposed every picture by 1ev and then fixed what was needed in CS5 (this actually seemed to work really well).

Honestly though, I really don't want to repeat my previous mistakes. So here are some probably REALLY stupid questions.
When using spot metering, everything I've read has said essentially aim for the head of who you are shooting to set exposure, and then recompose. Now here is the part I've gotten confused on (internet can be full of misinformation after all): If I center the exposure on the musicians head, then the camera is internally thinking that this areas exposure will be equivalent to an 18% gray card, and this is why bright lights behind a musician can be blown out of proportion.

Also, should I always expose for the face? Or should I spot meter the brightest thing in the scene? I was fiddling around and noticed that my camera really liked to jump between perfectly exposing the subject/blowing out highlights or underexposing everything.

Should I purposefully underexpose my shots with spot metering? I ask because everything I have read/shot so far goes on and on about blown highlights, and underexposing under my previous settings was a sort of like a safety net during my first show because nothing was over-exposed/no detail was lost.

Should I forgo the Av & Tv modes and focus solely on manual? The only problem I've had with my T2i is adjusting aperture in manual. I know I probably forgot a button somewhere but it's irking me. More than likely though I'm probably going to have to keep it at 2.8 anyway, but beingable to switch on the fly is a good piece of knowledge to have.

AI servo mode combined with a AF/AE Lock reversal (back button focus, shutter used for exposure locking); good or bad idea?
Also, the T2i would display a star for exposure lock with its original orientation set, but with this I don't get a heads up display; I'm wondering if this is why I was getting funky results between overexposed light sources or completely underexposed pictures.

6. How do you guys protect your gear at shows where people thrashing is the norm?

7. Should I actually use the auto ISO feature? I know my camera has a tendency to jump high (in low light, if I put the max as 3200 it will measure between 2200+-3200). Would it be better to stick with a set ISO, like 1600?

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 5, 2011

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Abnegatus posted:

Alright, I'm going to be shooting a few bands on the 20th (Heathen, Destroyer 666, etc.) and I was hoping for some advice.
I feel like you're overthinking this, but others here do this a lot more than I do so I'd love to hear their advice. Here's how I do a concert:

When I'm shooting a show I'm almost always shooting wide open, both for the blurred background and (more importantly) to squeeze from the room every bit of light I can get. I said "almost always," but I honestly can't remember a time when I wasn't shooting wide open the whole night.

Really good lighting:
On those rare occasions when the lighting is really good I'll try to have ISO at 400, then put it on Av set to wide open. Spot metering, aim for the face; I'm not thinking about 18% grey when I do this, I just want the eyes in focus if I can get 'em. With the changing light colors you'll go crazy worrying about white balance, just put it on auto and save it for post production. Somebody's going to absolutely rip me for saying that, but it's what I do. :)

poo poo lighting:
Since the lighting is usually A) pretty lovely and B) fairly constant (colors may change, but the overall level of light probably won't change by much - it's gonna be dim at best) I usually put it on manual; I set the aperture to wide open, the ISO to whatever I can get away with (800 to 1600), and then adjust the shutter accordingly.

I use one-shot autofocus, although now that I actually know what the hell AI Servo does (there's been some discussion of it in one of the other threads) I might try it more often.

I wouldn't recommend auto ISO. Either it's going to go way too high (I don't know about the T2i, but my 40D is worthless at 3200), or it'll go too low and compensate by slowing your shutter speed. What good is an ISO 400 shot if it's taken at 1/10? Maybe the camera's smart enough to not do that though, I don't know. I guess if you could tell it "Do auto ISO but only use 800 to 1600," then that would be great.

If cameras were just a little bit smarter, we could program in some neat if/then/else statements. Like "if using auto-ISO always use between 800 and 1600." Or "if ISO is 800-1600 and aperture is wide open, never let shutter go slower than 1/40." Or even "If using Av and the shutter wants to do 1/10, beep really loudly and flash warning messages on the screen." That would make Av more useable in low-light, but I guess it would also take some of the fun out of it.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Abnegatus posted:

AI servo mode combined with a AF/AE Lock reversal (back button focus, shutter used for exposure locking); good or bad idea?

In this case won't you be re-exposing with your spot sensor whenever you recompose and shoot?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

jackpot posted:

I guess if you could tell it "Do auto ISO but only use 800 to 1600," then that would be great.

You can do this on Nikons, set the Auto ISO range, the minimum and maximum.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Rukes stopped shooting for Insomniac and is now deadmau5's photographer.

Good job Rukes!

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

RizieN posted:

You can do this on Nikons, set the Auto ISO range, the minimum and maximum.

Well, with the T2i you can set a max limit; I could for example set the maximum as 3200; from there it will alternate between ISO 100 all the way to 3200. However, I don't think I can set a minimum. Plus the camera likes to be more safe than sorry, and will take a shot at ISO2200 when it could have done it at ISO1600. So that sucks.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

In this case won't you be re-exposing with your spot sensor whenever you recompose and shoot?

I don't think so. If it locks exposure at a half-press then all I have to do is fully press the shutter and it should be fine. Plus my focus would be a separate button, so the shutter button is now just used for exposure and, well, the shutter. If I need to refocus I just hammer that back button.

I really would like the ability to play around with aperture, because there may be instances where I really want multiple members at different distances to be in focus, but ultimately I bet that won't happen. I also may not be fast enough to switch up my settings when I need to, so if that ends up being true and I royally gently caress up Manual I can just switch back to Tv or Av.

So for spot metering should I always just expose on the face? Or should I actively seek out something that would equate to 18% grey and recompose from there?

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 5, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Abnegatus posted:

Well, with the T2i you can set a max limit; I could for example set the maximum as 3200; from there it will alternate between ISO 100 all the way to 3200. However, I don't think I can set a minimum. Plus the camera likes to be more safe than sorry, and will take a shot at ISO2200 when it could have done it at ISO1600. So that sucks.

I just double checked, I can set minimum shutter and maximum ISO, check if you can set a minimum shutter on yours.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

So, I did a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRUxpHLrrQ

It is probably full of rookie mistakes, but I will blame that all on the guy who edited it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

dunkman posted:

Good job Rukes!
Not trying to be an rear end, but isn't this rather old news?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=www.google.com

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

teethgrinder posted:

Not trying to be an rear end, but isn't this rather old news?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=www.google.com

I heard he'd changed jobs, but I didn't know where!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Abnegatus posted:

I don't think so. If it locks exposure at a half-press then all I have to do is fully press the shutter and it should be fine. Plus my focus would be a separate button, so the shutter button is now just used for exposure and, well, the shutter. If I need to refocus I just hammer that back button.

So for spot metering should I always just expose on the face? Or should I actively seek out something that would equate to 18% grey and recompose from there?

So you keep the shutter half-down after you meter?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This show had constant dim red lighting. I did my best.

But I think it would be an insane amount of work to get the flesh & clothing tones accurate. So ... when in doubt, black & white!

An example of what I was working with:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jackpot posted:

If cameras were just a little bit smarter, we could program in some neat if/then/else statements. Like "if using auto-ISO always use between 800 and 1600." Or "if ISO is 800-1600 and aperture is wide open, never let shutter go slower than 1/40."
Buy a Nikon SLR :unsmith:

e: auto ISO is programmable and will push it up, but only when it hits the user-defined minimum shutter speed (and aperture wide open in P), and only up to your user-defined acceptable max, and only from then on will it push the shutter speed down. If your manually selected ISO is too high for what your shutter is capable of (but more realistically you just forgot to turn it back down) it'll select a lower sensitivity.

Basically shooting Aperture Prio at base ISO with auto-ISO turned on, it won't let you make an exposure mistake but you retain creative control.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

You spot-meter with half-press beforehand. It's kinda the point of putting AF on a dedicated button (that and you can stop continuous AF whenever you want).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 6, 2011

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Abnegatus posted:

I really would like the ability to play around with aperture, because there may be instances where I really want multiple members at different distances to be in focus, but ultimately I bet that won't happen.
You're right that there are situations when it would be great to do this, but for a lot of indoor shows it's very hard to do. I mean if you were outdoors in daylight and you wanted to shoot this band so they're all in focus, you'd just put it at f/8 or something and fire away. But there have been shows I've gone to lately that I've shot almost entirely with my 50/1.4, because my f/2.8 lenses are too slow to use, even at ISO1600. Concert lighting is the worst - that's the hardest part about it, but it's also what makes it such a fun challenge.

evil_bunnY posted:

Buy a Nikon SLR :unsmith:

e: auto ISO is programmable and will push it up, but only when it hits the user-defined minimum shutter speed (and aperture wide open in P), and only up to your user-defined acceptable max, and only from then on will it push the shutter speed down. If your manually selected ISO is too high for what your shutter is capable of (but more realistically you just forgot to turn it back down) it'll select a lower sensitivity.
I can't lie, that's pretty cool.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

So, I did a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRUxpHLrrQ

It is probably full of rookie mistakes, but I will blame that all on the guy who edited it.

Sure blame the editor!

Also what framerate were you guys shooting at? It looks like 24p to me but seems to change around 1:54.

Looks pretty sick otherwise. I need to start doing more freelance video work.

Also AP contacted me again and said they really liked my style. Looks like I'm shooting more shows this summer. Any MA concertgoons in here?

For content: I need to shoot a show like this again

Title Fight-38 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 7, 2011

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

It was 24 mostly, but 60 for the high speed stuff. He may have forgotten to convert a clip back down to 24. I need to learn how to edit on my own, but adobe premier just looks scary every time I open it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
It's really not so bad. Video is tedious as hell, more so than photos in my opinion (all the different angles and shots and cutting em up and splicing em together and matching beats and ugh...), but its pretty straight forward until you get into really funky effects and compositing.

I didn't see anything in that video that you couldn't do with a day (maybe two) of loving around yourself.

I must stay out of videography though, We kind of threw a "taping" of the last wedding in as a bonus, and I still haven't imported it into Final Cut because I dread the tedious hell that is editing, even though editing a wedding really won't be anything at all...

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

RizieN posted:

It's really not so bad. Video is tedious as hell, more so than photos in my opinion (all the different angles and shots and cutting em up and splicing em together and matching beats and ugh...), but its pretty straight forward until you get into really funky effects and compositing.

I didn't see anything in that video that you couldn't do with a day (maybe two) of loving around yourself.

I must stay out of videography though, We kind of threw a "taping" of the last wedding in as a bonus, and I still haven't imported it into Final Cut because I dread the tedious hell that is editing, even though editing a wedding really won't be anything at all...

Video is wicked tedious. Hell I went to school for four years for it and I still have a bunch to learn

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Does anybody have a generic "music photography" contact that they can link me to, or offer any hints? A band I shot a few weeks ago for a local magazine wants to hire me to shoot them during a music video. I've agreed to do the shoot for next to nothing, because I enjoy doing it (and they don't have much money), but I'd like to hang onto rights so I have some control over future use of the images.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
You know what's fun? When the performer brings his own bazillion watt lighting and illuminates drat near everything.

Rusko @ Granada-20110509-006 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

You know what's not fun? When they hide behind poo poo :(

Rusko @ Granada-20110510-018 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

I still love the whole chaotic mess to death, though.

Rusko @ Granada-20110509-013 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

dunkman posted:

Good job Rukes!

Haha, it's just a bad rumor some SoCal photogs start spreading whenever I go on tour with him. If you can find a forum/place where that rumor is from, let me know, still don't know who starts it...

I am still Insomniac's main photographer and I am still Giant's main photographer when I am in LA.

I have been Deadmau5's photographer for almost 4 years now, so that's nothing new. The only thing that has changed are more/larger tours, so I miss some more work in LA.

Ironically I haven't even missed a SoCal Insomniac massive since working with Deadmau5, so I don't get where people make up this rumor. My best guess is that I have missed some Palladium gigs recently (like Above & Beyond, Kaskade) but that's only due to tour overlapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
So I just got on the list for the Symphony X / Powerglove / Blackguard show in Springfield, VA in a couple weeks.

I think I may rent the Canon 35mm 1.4L or the Sigma 30mm 1.4... Cost would be 60 and 45. (Unless one of you in the DC area would lend me one :))

How do you normally charge for photos? Lump sum or per photo? I'd at least like to cover the cost of the rental.