Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I really like Gervais but it stuck out to me on several occasions that he was just trying to validate himself to these 20+ year standup comedians. He interrupted too much and there wasn't nearly enough Chris Rock.

But hey, he set the whole thing up so kudos to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

"-Atom-" posted:

I really like Gervais but it stuck out to me on several occasions that he was just trying to validate himself to these 20+ year standup comedians. He interrupted too much and there wasn't nearly enough Chris Rock.

But hey, he set the whole thing up so kudos to him.

This is exactly how I feel. It's pretty amusing too since all four of them are apparently really good friends. I really enjoyed it overall though, and hope HBO let's Gervais do more episodes. If they do I really hope he takes more of a backseat role and bring in other comedians to just shoot the poo poo about being funny. HBO really loves Gervais right now so it probably comes down to what he wants to do.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
Well, since the OP encourages linking our own podcasts, here is a link to mine.

Hardcore Nerdography

You can find it at http://www.crosstawk.com/. CrossTawk is my friend Karl's brain-child. It's basically just a website where we can record podcasts with our friends and post them. We've all got some experience in writing for the web and recording podcasts (I'm a founding member of Nintendo World Report's "Radio Free Nintendo").

As for Hardcore Nerdography, I'm not even sure how to really describe the show. It's basically myself, my girlfriend, and our friend Dante just sorta shooting the poo poo for 30-60 minutes once a month. It's a total work in progress, and definitely hasn't landed on a format yet. Essentially, our friend Dante is really loving funny and my girlfriend and I just sort of act as foils for him so he can tell his absurd life stories.

The first five episodes are mostly the same with the exception of the 2nd episode containing a news segment which we will never ever do again because it was completely awful. But the sixth episode, which I just finished editing yesterday, is a experiment. It's a sort of "clip show" spectacular that's basically a couple of short skits broken up by two clips from past shows. It's also loaded down with stupid GarageBand loops and drops. I think it is really drat funny, but I'm not sure anybody else will agree. I'm super inspired by the "so dumb it's smart" style of comedy propagated by the members of The State. It should be posted in the next few days.

If anybody actually listens to it, I would love to hear your thoughts.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

NotWearingPants posted:

This is what bothered me the most. They, particularly Gervais, treated Chris Rock like some kind of scrub. They wouldn't let him talk.

That's definitely not true. Not at all. I think you watched the wrong show.

BigOldSkullRing
Mar 28, 2010
http://nessthewise.tumblr.com

THE REALEST poo poo I EVER SPOKE. I EVER SPOKE.

I enjoy this show very much and so do all of my friends and most of the strangers I encounter. I hope you will too. RECORDING LIVE FROM THE DEPTHS OF HELL.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Chris Rock is a pretty quiet dude from what I understand. Funny, given his stage personality.

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.
Lou Reads: If you're disgusted by this kind of thing, keep listening, it'll make you stronger.

Also KingLou please do the one-star reviews of classics again, one of my favorites.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I see Nick Offerman will be on tomorrow's Professor Blastoff - would love to see him do CDR, so hopefully that's a first step. Has he done anything else on the podcast circuit?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

NotWearingPants posted:

This is what bothered me the most. They, particularly Gervais, treated Chris Rock like some kind of scrub. They wouldn't let him talk. I like Louis CK a lot, but in this group isn't Rock arguably the biggest draw?

Rock is usually a fairly quiet guy so that has part to do with it. More than anything though he's just a victim of editing. The conversation was originally a 4 hour one that was editing down to what, 45 minutes? Louis CK and Rock have known each other for years, and CK used to write for Rock so I don't think he's treating him like anything. I agree there's a couple of moments where he seems to get cut off, but that happens to the other guys too. There's also parts where he doesn't say anything at all so I think it's a case of people looking too deeply into this.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

SKULE123 posted:

I see Nick Offerman will be on tomorrow's Professor Blastoff - would love to see him do CDR, so hopefully that's a first step. Has he done anything else on the podcast circuit?

It's a shame he's on Professor Blastoff then, goddamn Tig Notaro is an awful, awful host.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Ricky just wants to be American and 'cool' so bad which will never ever happen so that's why he's always so anxious.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SKULE123 posted:

I could see that leading to the most flat and terse conversation ever.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Penis envy posted:

Lou Reads: If you're disgusted by this kind of thing, keep listening, it'll make you stronger.

Also KingLou please do the one-star reviews of classics again, one of my favorites.

Ha! I'm glad you liked that one. I haven't thought about it in a long time. I'll see if I can squeeze it into the plan. Of course, the plan is no plan at all. I keep getting all these great suggestions and finding crazy stuff on my own. Too much internets!

I should actually record something today...

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

I know the Smodcast stuff gets mixed reviews around here but they started their live stuff on https://www.smodcast.com today, about 15 minutes ago. I think it'll be rough for a couple weeks but there's some real potential for live recordings like this.

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011

SKULE123 posted:

He has been on some radio shows, but I don't know about the "proper" podcast circuit, although I was pretty sure I heard him somewhere (the Adam Carolla Show?), but I can't remember where.

EDIT: 'twas the Adam Carolla Show: http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/2010/04/28/adam-and-nick-offerman/

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

King Lou posted:

I should actually record something today...

Yes, yes you should.
I converted a few people to your podcast and was just saying the other day how funny the one star reviews were.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Clovis Sangrail posted:

He has been on some radio shows, but I don't know about the "proper" podcast circuit, although I was pretty sure I heard him somewhere (the Adam Carolla Show?), but I can't remember where.

EDIT: 'twas the Adam Carolla Show: http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/2010/04/28/adam-and-nick-offerman/

I'll give that a listen - thanks a lot for the link! I don't know a lot about Offerman except that he absolutely slays me on Parks & Rec, and that the one glimpse into his personal life when the link of his real-life woodworking shop was making the rounds made me think he was an awesome dude all-around. (Pro-click alert: http://www.offermanwoodshop.com/)

edit: Bonus Offerman read http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/handy-work

Agreed that I wish he was on a different show than Professor Blastoff, but will listen to it in the hope that he can cover up some of the shortcomings from the first episode.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 9, 2011

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

etcetera08 posted:

I know the Smodcast stuff gets mixed reviews around here but they started their live stuff on https://www.smodcast.com today, about 15 minutes ago. I think it'll be rough for a couple weeks but there's some real potential for live recordings like this.

If he's taking live phone calls, this could be pretty entertaining if people start calling in to troll him.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Kevin Smith says he edits the poo poo out of his podcasts, it'll be interesting to see how the shows are if he can't edit out every extra breath.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Wow, Eardrop really fell off quickly.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Started listening to Uhh Yeah Dude for the last week, on episode 17 and I'm hooked. This Week in Florida and Jonathan's poems are what sealed the deal. This show is excellent and I hope the quality keeps up.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

substitute posted:

Wow, Eardrop really fell off quickly.

I haven't listened to it lately, but I liked the one where the only call was Harris's Phone Corner. I was hoping that one day I would download it and all it would be is just the Eardrop intro and the Earwolf outro.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CortezFantastic posted:

Started listening to Uhh Yeah Dude for the last week, on episode 17 and I'm hooked. This Week in Florida and Jonathan's poems are what sealed the deal. This show is excellent and I hope the quality keeps up.

It's a shame that Jonathan run out of poems. I miss some of those regular features, I could listen to the Craigslist personals for hours.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
Well, here's the new episode of my show I was talking about earlier. If anybody downloads and listens, I'd love to hear your thoughts. We're really making this thing up as we go so any advice is much appreciated.

http://www.crosstawk.com/newbusiness/2011/5/9/hardcore-nerdography-episode-6.html

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

StrikerObi posted:

Well, here's the new episode of my show I was talking about earlier. If anybody downloads and listens, I'd love to hear your thoughts. We're really making this thing up as we go so any advice is much appreciated.

http://www.crosstawk.com/newbusiness/2011/5/9/hardcore-nerdography-episode-6.html

Is there a way to play it "in browser"? I'd rather not have to download it. I mean I already did but thats a drag.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

King Lou posted:

Is there a way to play it "in browser"? I'd rather not have to download it. I mean I already did but thats a drag.

I don't think there is currently but I'll talk to my friend (who runs the site) about adding flash players or something similar to the episode pages.

StrikerObi fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 9, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
My Brother My Brother and Me is coming to Cincinnati in June.

Is anyone here planning to attend?

Real Killer
Aug 22, 2004

SKULE123 posted:

I'll give that a listen - thanks a lot for the link! I don't know a lot about Offerman except that he absolutely slays me on Parks & Rec, and that the one glimpse into his personal life when the link of his real-life woodworking shop was making the rounds made me think he was an awesome dude all-around. (Pro-click alert: http://www.offermanwoodshop.com/)

edit: Bonus Offerman read http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/handy-work

Agreed that I wish he was on a different show than Professor Blastoff, but will listen to it in the hope that he can cover up some of the shortcomings from the first episode.

Offerman is supposed to be on the Kevin Pollak chat show in a few weeks. Its usually a good 1.5-2 hour interview with the guest.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

CortezFantastic posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty new to it as well. Been working my way through it and am currently on ep 36. They're great, really crack me up. It's just been getting better and better and I can't believe I still have over 200 episodes to go. And for it having started in 2006, most of the stuff doesn't feel too dated.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
Anybody coming out to Neil Hamburger and Brody Stevens in Seattle next week? (ENJOY IT!)

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 10, 2011

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

/\I loving love both of those guys, but I don't know if I could handle both of them on the same bill.

CortezFantastic posted:

I'm also fairly new to the show (I think I'm at about 136 right now), and so far the show holds up very well. Someone said that it gets to be kind of background noise after awhile, but they'll kick your rear end every now and again. I very recently heard an episode that had Seth bitching about how annoying sobriety is throughout the episode, and it's hilarious. Jah's poetry and This Week In Florida dry up pretty quickly, but they've so far kept it pretty fresh with whatever goofy poo poo has caught their fancies. The Craigslist stuff later on is very funny.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I'm midway through 225 of UYD and I have to say it's still as funny as ever.

EDIT: poo poo, that's 225 episodes since August last year! gently caress me.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
So usually I am one to defend Joe Rogan, but on yesterday's podcast with Bryan Callen he was insufferable with his Osama conspiracy stuff. Bryan Callen was speaking nothing but logic, explaining to Joe how hard it would be to pull off a fake assassination like this. Joe was clearly not listening/surfing the internet while he was talking, and pretty much no matter what Callen said, Joe would respond with "Yeah. I mean, I agree with everything you said, but the government has lied to us before. Remember the Jessica Lynch story?" He just kept saying that over and over, despite the fact that Callen was shooting down every dumb conspiracy idea Joe had. Really annoying, usually Joe isn't that hard-headed about stuff like that, not sure why he's going with Alex Jones on this one.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I liked that someone challenged Joe for a change, since most people just generally follow his viewpoint.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Cromulent posted:

So usually I am one to defend Joe Rogan, but on yesterday's podcast with Bryan Callen he was insufferable with his Osama conspiracy stuff. Bryan Callen was speaking nothing but logic, explaining to Joe how hard it would be to pull off a fake assassination like this. Joe was clearly not listening/surfing the internet while he was talking, and pretty much no matter what Callen said, Joe would respond with "Yeah. I mean, I agree with everything you said, but the government has lied to us before. Remember the Jessica Lynch story?" He just kept saying that over and over, despite the fact that Callen was shooting down every dumb conspiracy idea Joe had. Really annoying, usually Joe isn't that hard-headed about stuff like that, not sure why he's going with Alex Jones on this one.
Yeah he was unusually annoying. Callen, even if I don't agree with everything he thinks, has lived such a weird life and seen so much weird poo poo and is all in all just more entertaining when he goes off tangents. You kind of just have to remember how high Rogan usually is.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I'm a Rogan fan, I didn't listen to it yet but Rogan can usually see both sides of the story. He isn't usually hard headed about something. My roommate is the same way about the Osama killing but he "just wants the photo". There is no amount of convincing that it isn't fake, even if you say "Well what if Osama wasn't dead, he could just be like sup and that would gently caress everything up" or "Why would Al Queida confirm it", but it doesn't really work. It's more annoying because there currently isn't any interesting conspiracies to come from it (mostly because it actually happened).

edit: also Callen is always in my top 3 favorite guests, along with Joey Diaz and Duncan Trussel.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
This week is a pretty heavy dose of the Joe Rogan Experience.

Yesterday was Bryan Callen, today Steve Rannazzisi and tomorrow Doug Benson.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Can someone explain Tig Notaro to me or maybe point me to something where she's actually funny?

Is it supposed to be an anti-comedy thing where it's funny because she's never funny?

In her latest CDR appearance she not only did her normal monotone thing, but the only time you really seem to get anything out of her is when she's trying to step on someone else's bits. I don't care if chupacabra mispronounced a word Ms. Notaro, stop getting in the way of my laughs!

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 11, 2011

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
When She was going along with Kevin Nealon saying she was dry dry dry dry dry in her style of comedy, I laughed my balls off.

She's not the worst. I'd say she makes me laugh on random occasions, but I can probably only count them on one hand.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011
I'm about 400+ posts behind, and it'll take me a while to get caught up. But in the meantime, I'd be pretty interested in a top 5-10 comedy podcasts from the various posters.

My own list would be:
1) Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast
2) Jim Jeffries and Eddie Ifft Talking poo poo
3) The Joe Rogan Experience
4) CDR/CBB
5) Cyberthug, but srsly, 'assorted' including 'Who Charted?' and the Greg Fitzsimmons podcast.

It's been a long, long time since CDR/CBB has really made me laugh (the hardest I've ever laughed at a podcast was the 2010 Halloween episode with Cyberthug + Messmore/Bueford/and Ghost Boy), and I find it to be pretty inconsistent lately. The 100th anniversary show with Chupacabra/Huell Howser/Jessie 'the Mind' Ventura, etc. was pretty good; whereas I thought the ones with Tim Heidecker and Paul Reubens were terrible. 'Who Charted' seems like it got off to a slow start, but is slowly coming into its own, whereas the Fitzsimmons podcast would easily be one of my favorites if I didn't find his voice so very annoying (the one he does with Bill Burr is hilarious).

Also, a question: My office blocks anything off of libsyn, so I can't stream about 95% of podcasts. Is there an alternative, say, web-based streamer I could use that would pipe in my libsyn rss's to me so I don't have to access them directly? Otherwise, any ideas on how I can get around the libsyn block on those days I invariably forget to bring/refill my ipod with new shows and help make my soul-crushingly dull job a tad more bearable?

A Fistful of Dicks fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 11, 2011

• Locked thread