Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Here in the UK everyone is expected to learn to drive a manual car, and although you can take the easy option and get a lesser automatic license, you're then not allowed to drive manual cars on the road. The majority of people learn to drive properly and get a full manual license.

However, there are no shortage of people here in the UK who run yellow and red lights. This includes myself, because some genius decided to put traffic lights on a dual carriageway (that's a 2 lane 70mph road for US goons) just so that a tiny little minor road can have a junction, so if it flicks to yellow as I approach I'm drat well running it rather than executing a hard stop from 70mph.

On that note, I've always taken yellow to mean "stop if it's safe to do so" and red to mean "stop, you have no excuse for not doing so" which is how I justify running that yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

rolleyes posted:

However, there are no shortage of people here in the UK who run yellow and red lights. This includes myself, because some genius decided to put traffic lights on a dual carriageway (that's a 2 lane 70mph road for US goons) just so that a tiny little minor road can have a junction, so if it flicks to yellow as I approach I'm drat well running it rather than executing a hard stop from 70mph.

My town has the exact same thing. It's the stupidest positioned set of lights since the ones on the roundabout in the middle of town.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Wow, these last few posts have amazed me. People think running red lights is acceptable over there? For reasons like "I can't drive a manual vehicle properly"? If you can't stop reliably for red lights, you shouldn't be driving that vehicle. Red lights are there for a reason, and sooner or later someone's going to get killed with that attitude.

In the Southeastern US, at least, traffic lights are often viewed as mere suggestions - maybe you should think about stopping, if you feel like it. I've almost been hit countless times because the goddamn light was red well before I got to it, so I stopped, but the guy behind me wanted to blow on through, so he swerves over into other lanes to make that happen.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Ornamented Death posted:

In the Southeastern US, at least, traffic lights are often viewed as mere suggestions - maybe you should think about stopping, if you feel like it. I've almost been hit countless times because the goddamn light was red well before I got to it, so I stopped, but the guy behind me wanted to blow on through, so he swerves over into other lanes to make that happen.

In my little town, they put cameras at every intersection, then put the lights on the most god-awful timer imaginable at night, just daring you to make an illegal left after 10 pm. I work until 10 most nights, and once I'm in town, its all right turns to get home. But when I get there, I change and go about 3 miles down the road to the gym, which requires 2 lefts. On a good night, it takes 15 loving minutes.. I can sit at the light across from the gym and watch an empty road for 4-5 minutes, PLENTY of open space for a turn, and just have to sit there...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My coworker got a ticket when he went through an intersection on a yellow light; he was more than halfway through when it changed to red and he got dinged. That particular city he was in doesn't have countdowns on the crossing walk lights and the intersection he got hit at is apparently very profitable for the city, so they don't want to add the countdown. Also driving around several cities, some have the countdowns and once the hand hits 0, yellow light for a second and then red, others the yellow light is on for a few seconds.

It is worrisome because I had a no-fault accident recently and company policy is that you can have one infraction, ticket, accident, etc, in a year period without being let go from the driving position.

Lately I have been super careful about lights, speeds, and everything else, but there is no appeal process and you're off driving for this company for life if you gently caress up, apparently. Something I wish they had mentioned during driving training.

The second deal is if you can't drive anymore, you have to take a job in the retail store, if any stores are hiring. And the third deal is that you often have no clue about the tickets since it takes the cities up to a month to mail them out to you.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

TShields posted:

In my little town, they put cameras at every intersection, then put the lights on the most god-awful timer imaginable at night, just daring you to make an illegal left after 10 pm. I work until 10 most nights, and once I'm in town, its all right turns to get home. But when I get there, I change and go about 3 miles down the road to the gym, which requires 2 lefts. On a good night, it takes 15 loving minutes.. I can sit at the light across from the gym and watch an empty road for 4-5 minutes, PLENTY of open space for a turn, and just have to sit there...

So make a right and a u-turn? No cameras for those.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

T0MSERV0 posted:

So make a right and a u-turn? No cameras for those.

Not really feasible in my case. They give the main road 5-7 mins of green time, then cycle to the cross streets for 30 seconds or so. I'm trying to turn left onto the main road from a cross street, then turn left off the main road into a shopping center. Nowhere to u-turn in town that doesn't have a stop light.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
so the other day I posted about being treated stupid as a cashier. Today was the last straw and from now on I'm standing up for myself.
We're selling 12 ears of corn for $3, and people come through with a lot of corn. I usually ask how much someone has so I don't have to waste time counting. This couple came through today and I asked how many they had. In his best talking-down-to-you-like-you're-an-absolute-loving-retard voice, the man goes, "Well I have 6 in one bag and 6 in another. ...how many does that equal? 12! Gooooood giiiiiirl!!!"
So i just stopped, looked straight at him and went, "sir, don't be rude. I passed high school, I went to college, and I'm a pilot. I think I know how to count." And he rightly shut the gently caress up. After, I was so pissed and insulted that I ran to the bathroom just to calm down. I couldn't stop shaking.
I asked for full-time the other day. Now I'm not so sure I want it.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

Most cities will systematically shave yellow light times by a specific amount (a half second?) when installing a red light camera. Larger vehicles often can't stop in time anymore. This isn't very safe, but it has to be done in order to produce enough violations to pay for the camera.

Did you just make this up / hear it from a friend - or do you actually have a source?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
There have been news stories and court cases about this, one pops up on Fark every month or so.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

rolleyes posted:

On that note, I've always taken yellow to mean "stop if it's safe to do so" and red to mean "stop, you have no excuse for not doing so" which is how I justify running that yellow.

Yeah, carrying on if the light is yellow, especially in your given scenario is perfectly understandable. People should be making sure it's safe to cross/merge/whatever before doing so. However, people who run red lights are dicks, no question, no matter where they're from.

Silversiren - Proud of you for telling that prick off. I would've done the same, no way I'd let anyone talk to me like that, customer or not.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

silversiren posted:

Amazing poo poo.

I really hate how American retail culture has somehow come to regard "Sir, please don't be rude/short/foul with me, I am a human being just like you" as somehow 'being rude' to customers.

That said loving kudos on not taking that poo poo. Seriously, I think if people are going to be shitheads to other human beings, they need to get called on it and confronted. You can be civil about it and not descend to their level, but something needs to be said. Otherwise it's just going to keep getting worse (who am I kidding nothing can stop it from getting worse but at least this makes one feel better).

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

LonsomeSon posted:

I really hate how American retail culture has somehow come to regard "Sir, please don't be rude/short/foul with me, I am a human being just like you" as somehow 'being rude' to customers.
Its "bad customer service" because if they can't dehumanize our employees they might take their purchase to a store where they can!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Abercrunchie posted:

You know how 99% of retail stores have closing annoucements? (IE: "Attention shoppers, the store will be closing in ten minutes!") Well, ever since our store went from franchised to corporate about a year ago a decision was made to stop doing this.

I've been working there for a few years and it was sometimes hard enough getting people to quit shopping WITH the announcements. They just plain ignored 'em. Now every night it's pretty much a guarantee to have at least five shoppers remaining after the store closes. Also, there is only one cashier available at this time, AND we only have half an hour after closing to do our nightly cleaning duties after close.

I'm just... totally clueless as to HOW those people in upper management concluded that the closing announcements were a bad thing. If any of them are in the store that late then us cashiers get reprimanded if we decide to make any announcements.

Has this happened to anyone else? I guess it kinda sounds petty now that I think about it, but it's snowballed into a retarded situation for the closing cashier every night.

One thing I've noticed about retail management is this colossal fear of telling customers "no" even if it's perfectly reasonable. The biggest problem with American retail culture is that infamous belief that "a customer with a good experience will tell one person about it, a customer with a bad experience will tell three". I really do not believe that there exists statistics or science to back this up. Telling customers to "get out", even indirectly will freak out the retail management lifers who believe the lies that empower them.

It's also why you see returns two months later or gift cards being handed out like candy. Usually done with a wave of the hand without asking WHAT the issue was to begin with. Going up to a manager, starting to explain the issue and just getting a "JUST DO IT!" snapped at you followed by a passive-aggressive sigh is the most frustrating part of my job.

I really could go on about retail management and how it's for the people that couldn't hack it in serious management positions. Thus, they kind of float around their retail chain and take it out passive-aggressively on 20-somethings who work to pay for their courses they need to pursue a dream or career that retail managers have given up on.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

LonsomeSon posted:

This, seriously. I don't understand how I'm not allowed to stick up for myself. Someone could be threatening me with violence and the manager or whoever would probably take the customer's side. We're expected to be doormats and act like brainless robots and to subject ourselves to this but why? I completely fail to understand, and I don't understand why the customers think it's ok to treat us this way. Something obviously went wrong in their upbringing and they weren't taught how to be a decent person.
If I didn't need this job so badly, I wouldn't restrain myself so much and I'd say whatever I wanted to customers. Actually sometimes even when I do restrain myself, I'm terrified because you can't predict how some people are going to react. Some people will fly completely off the handle because you tell them you can't take their 55 cent coupon from Walgreens, some people don't care. Some people treat you like a loving retard because you put bagged and vacuum-sealed meat in with bagged fruits/vegetables, some people don't give a gently caress. You can say one thing to one person and the exact same thing to another person and the reactions will be complete opposites of each other. If I wouldn't get in trouble for not "interacting" with the customers, I would just keep my mouth shut the entire day.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well today me and 3 others are back into a store to fix up mistakes the last crew made here. While working under a cashier I found a 5 dollar bill, and handed it off the nearest O'rielly person. As much as I would of loved to take that money, I know someone else would of gotten poo poo for it.

Also customers are assholes. Someone took the cap off diesel oil, poked a hole in the safety seal, then put it back up on the shelf. So when a coworker slides it over to me and I grab it, suddenly a stream of oil comes shooting out all over me. I went through the rest of the day smelling like oil, my eyes were all watery and the fumes.. dear god the fumes!

As an aside, I guess I'm backwards. Cashiers are afraid to say no to customers, yet I'm afraid to bother cashiers or any store staff when I'm shopping around :shobon:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

silversiren posted:

so the other day I posted about being treated stupid as a cashier. Today was the last straw and from now on I'm standing up for myself.
We're selling 12 ears of corn for $3, and people come through with a lot of corn. I usually ask how much someone has so I don't have to waste time counting. This couple came through today and I asked how many they had. In his best talking-down-to-you-like-you're-an-absolute-loving-retard voice, the man goes, "Well I have 6 in one bag and 6 in another. ...how many does that equal? 12! Gooooood giiiiiirl!!!"
So i just stopped, looked straight at him and went, "sir, don't be rude. I passed high school, I went to college, and I'm a pilot. I think I know how to count." And he rightly shut the gently caress up. After, I was so pissed and insulted that I ran to the bathroom just to calm down. I couldn't stop shaking.

I don't mean to be forward but what kind of pilot are you and can you/do you want to make that your job and if so why haven't you already?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

silversiren posted:

This, seriously. I don't understand how I'm not allowed to stick up for myself. Someone could be threatening me with violence and the manager or whoever would probably take the customer's side. We're expected to be doormats and act like brainless robots and to subject ourselves to this but why? I completely fail to understand, and I don't understand why the customers think it's ok to treat us this way. Something obviously went wrong in their upbringing and they weren't taught how to be a decent person.
If I didn't need this job so badly, I wouldn't restrain myself so much and I'd say whatever I wanted to customers. Actually sometimes even when I do restrain myself, I'm terrified because you can't predict how some people are going to react. Some people will fly completely off the handle because you tell them you can't take their 55 cent coupon from Walgreens, some people don't care. Some people treat you like a loving retard because you put bagged and vacuum-sealed meat in with bagged fruits/vegetables, some people don't give a gently caress. You can say one thing to one person and the exact same thing to another person and the reactions will be complete opposites of each other. If I wouldn't get in trouble for not "interacting" with the customers, I would just keep my mouth shut the entire day.

Two keys:
1. Positive customers can balance negative ones if you let it. Remember that there are also those people that WANT to make your day better.
2. Don't freak out over people getting upset, just smile and nod is what i usually do. If they still stay upset,let management fix it.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
@spankmeister: Really I'm just a student, I haven't been able to get my medical, thus solo, thus get my license, due to some really really stupid bullshit from the FAA. If I could make money flying, I'd do it in a heartbeat. :(

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

spankmeister posted:

I don't mean to be forward but what kind of pilot are you and can you/do you want to make that your job and if so why haven't you already?

I can't speak to his specific situation, but in general the halcyon days of pilots earning six figures are way, way in the past. There was a piece on NBC's Nightly News a few months ago that basically said you only fly because you love it - you can make way more money working retail/food service.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

silversiren posted:

That's just appalling. What a condescending rear end in a top hat. So glad you told him where to go -- I can't even imagine how I would have reacted.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
Heard this on the Mitch Benn podcast and thought of you, retail thread:

Next Customer Please

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Leal posted:

Also customers are assholes. Someone took the cap off diesel oil, poked a hole in the safety seal, then put it back up on the shelf. So when a coworker slides it over to me and I grab it, suddenly a stream of oil comes shooting out all over me. I went through the rest of the day smelling like oil, my eyes were all watery and the fumes.. dear god the fumes!

This gets me random vandalism. The week I started some one had basically walked down the entire isle of oil and just cut a nice little line down dozens of bottles. Two shopping carts were sent to claims.

On the oil thing. This month I have found four bottles of oil stolen. All of them still there but some one came in, opened them, drained them into some other kind of container and left. Who the hell steals oil? Who the hell steals the cheap stuff if they are going to steal it in the first place.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Ornamented Death posted:

I can't speak to his specific situation, but in general the halcyon days of pilots earning six figures are way, way in the past. There was a piece on NBC's Nightly News a few months ago that basically said you only fly because you love it - you can make way more money working retail/food service.

Not only has the economy done a number on the airline industry and the career expectations of its workforce, there's an unfortunate peculiarity to the seniority system for pilots: literally the only thing taken into account in title and salary decisions is date of hire at this particular airline. When a pilot is laid off and hired at another airline, that pilot will start at the absolute bottom rung on the ladder even if he or she has decades of experience elsewhere. An extreme but not outlandish scenario would have a veteran pilot serving as first officer (at a fraction of the pay) for a much less experienced captain hired only a short time before.

Patrick Smith's "Ask The Pilot" column on Salon is chock full of great little-known facts about the industry.

edit: forgot the link

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 11, 2011

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

edit: this post probably gives away too much about where i work. short vesrion: customers are simultaneously dumb rude and lazy grrrrrr

Admiral Lasers fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 11, 2011

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009
I'm the general manager of a hotel. I've read this entire thread over the course of the past week or so on and off and have a few things to share, if I may.

Interviewing sucks gigantic dick. I'd say 99% of the people I've hired were referred by an employee or made such an impression when handing the application in I already knew they were the ones I would be hiring.

People who put applications in and call endlessly to "check on the status of" said application can go gently caress themselves because I'm far too busy in the day to stop what I'm doing and check on the "status of" your application. Calling once is fine; it puts your name in my ear and I might recognize it better if by chance this is the 1% time I'm blindly calling people in for interviews. Calling twice is borderline annoying. Calling three times I'll probably actively stop what I'm doing, search out that application, and shred it.

What this means is your best bet at landing a job is knowing someone, being a stellar person when you get/hand in the application, or having a great resume that grabs the eye. Don't call three times. Don't wear sweat pants and a wife beater to turn in the application. Do fill out the entire application. If you gently caress up an application I probably passed it around the office and we had a good laugh at it and then shredded it.

I like to run a very laid back and friendly team atmosphere. I'm actually the youngest employee (21) at the hotel while being the general manager, so I have extra obstacles to overcome. I find it much more pleasant to treat everyone with dignity and respect when talking to them or teaching them etc than treating them like dirt. This helps when I'm writing up and firing someone literally triple my age. It doesn't help when I get into arguments (sometimes borderline fistfights) with idiot guests while defending my team. These arguments get old fast and sometimes I do cave, just because I don't have/want to spend 45 minutes to argue with a guest over why they're not getting free poo poo. I feel bad and explain that to my team when it happens and they generally understand.

I've been doing this for about three years now, somehow managed to move UP in the corporate structure despite the declining economy - I'm assuming they went ahead and fired the top 25% and promoted within. What sucks the worst is having such a strangled policy on things like rewards and raises so you can't reward your hardest workers. We used to have a bonus policy that was essentially pass inspection = you get a bonus. They then changed it to you have to pass the inspection AND some ambiguous revenue qualifiers to get the bonus. They then raised those qualifiers multiple times. And then when you thought they might as well just nix it - they stipulated that if the ENTIRE company doesn't make their budget (over 200 hotels), then the entire company's bonuses are cut in half. Wow.

Anyway gently caress bonuses, back to raises. I have some stellar team members who have been here for over 5-6 years and still make only $11/hr. This is due to a combination of things, I'd imagine, but they are great team members so I feel obligated to reward them somehow. Their raises are consistently denied. The business side of my mind understands this - you can't get a raise every quarter simply staying in the same position year after year. After 20 years you're a housekeeper making $30/hr. That doesn't make sense, move up and make more money damnit! But when the company refuses to open up more positions for these people to move into to make more money it just makes me look like the rear end in a top hat. At the same time these are great employees who consistently go above and beyond to not only do their jobs spectacularly, but also contribute to making the team an enjoyable one to work on. It's terrific. I have such an incredible respect for the people that can clean poo poo and piss all day in a hotel room for $11/hr and still end the day smiling and laughing in the break room. I don't even know where this paragraph was going.

-One of my housekeepers found a dozen dead squirrells in tupperware containers in a guests's refrigerator upon checkout the other day.

-A few weeks back a guest's boyfriend ripped up and literally launched a TV off their balcony onto a completely unrelated guest's car. This was especially remarkable as we have those gigantic 27" tube tvs with the huge back. He also apparently threw a body-long mirror at her.

-Last summer I was driving up to the hotel and saw a pile of clothes laying on the ground below a window. The screen to the window was nearby. I drove around the other side of the hotel and looped around back to the front and saw a lady run up the clothes, squat down, pee on them, and then sprint out of the parking lot. There's not a whole lot you can really say to a person in this situation, I just sat their stunned. Later I discover she was just really mad at her boyfriend and also came back and slashed his tires.

-We had a serial pooper. Yeah. A serial pooper. Over the course of two weeks we would find poop in random spots. Under the ice machine. Randomly in hallways. In the parking lot. Then this person stepped up their poop game. We checked a guest into a room and they found a few baked potato size turds sitting in the middle of the bed on the comforter - the room otherwise spotless. A complete loving mystery. A few days later the same thing, except the day after we figured out what had happened. This person had checked in, went up to the room, apparently took the world's quickest poo poo on the bed, and then came back down and said the room didn't have enough beds and they wanted to switch. I called my cop friend and he came out but the pooper had already checked out. He took the guy's information and did "something" and we haven't seen the guy anymore.

-Our hotel has a pond in front of it and I frequently have to rescue my housekeepers from furious geese that have wandered into the hotel and cornered them in rooms.

I'm not really sure what the point of this post was anymore. I've already worked 60 hours this week and it's only Wednesday - my train of thought is rather skewed.

Oh, I try to be really nice to retail people was the point I guess. I try to be really understanding when you have to recite a speech at me to buy extra poo poo and make interesting chit chat while ringing my poo poo up. I'm sure you guys are tired of THEY'RE NOT WORKING YOU TOO HARD TODAY ARE THEY!!!!! so I like to spice it up and actually engage in a real conversation. Any tips on making you guys feel awesome in day to day interaction would be great. Also feel free to ask me any questions about my dumb gay hotel or use me as a punching bag for the manager you want to call names.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Tuckleberry posted:

Anyway gently caress bonuses, back to raises. I have some stellar team members who have been here for over 5-6 years and still make only $11/hr. This is due to a combination of things, I'd imagine, but they are great team members so I feel obligated to reward them somehow. Their raises are consistently denied. The business side of my mind understands this - you can't get a raise every quarter simply staying in the same position year after year. After 20 years you're a housekeeper making $30/hr. That doesn't make sense, move up and make more money damnit! But when the company refuses to open up more positions for these people to move into to make more money it just makes me look like the rear end in a top hat. At the same time these are great employees who consistently go above and beyond to not only do their jobs spectacularly, but also contribute to making the team an enjoyable one to work on. It's terrific. I have such an incredible respect for the people that can clean poo poo and piss all day in a hotel room for $11/hr and still end the day smiling and laughing in the break room. I don't even know where this paragraph was going.

When you don't get a raise you are effectively getting a paycut because of inflation.

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009
Oh and :glomp: to anyone who's been treated like poo poo by a customer and had to sit there and take it or lose their job. I catch poo poo on a regular basis from corporate because I defend my front desk people who defend themselves. I would literally rather quit/get fired myself than be responsible for my employees having to stand there and be berated by someone with a superiority complex.

AlmightyBob posted:

When you don't get a raise you are effectively getting a paycut because of inflation.
Relatively, sure.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
One of my most loyal coworkers and brown-nosers to the bosses (he has a senior position) just got a 15 cent raise for the year. Good luck ever getting him to go above and beyond again!

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Apocalypse Please posted:

One of my most loyal coworkers and brown-nosers to the bosses (he has a senior position) just got a 15 cent raise for the year. Good luck ever getting him to go above and beyond again!

That's the killer right there. I was trying to improve the department I was transferred into by making multiple suggestions on how to improve business. I'm the only one with the best computer skills and even my boss said I was the best of all the staff there. But when I asked for a competitive wage increase, not to be equal to them (they're more senior) but to be CLOSER, they said no. Even after all the praise and hinting.

And now I don't give a gently caress. I just honestly don't care. I'm not going to put that effort in because they don't care either.

I really need to go back to school, or SOMETHING!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember working at McDonald's and being told my raise was going to be nice. 8 cents nice. About that time I realized raises meant nada.

At work recently the corp sent out anonymous surveys to see what employees think of the company. The lowest scores came in for rewards/acknowledgment. The company asked in a second survey what could be done so everyone felt valued and rewarded. Raises, increases in pay or vacation hours, etc, was the pretty much standard answer. They wanted to hear more along the lines of a certificate on nice paper, maybe with foil embossing.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I love those surveys. The last time I had to take one, I asked for a hat with a whistle.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I'm about to get my 19 cent raise for the year. A whole extra $6 a week! Can't wait to spend that on nearly 2 gallons of extra gas...

In other news, the company whose policy it is to get back to any and all applicants within a week hasn't contacted me in 2.5, so I'm planning on calling again if I don't hear anything on Friday. The first call I put in just got their application policy reiterated to me but no results. It's probably too late now, but who the gently caress knows these days. I'm so fed up with the hunt that I'm not even trying anymore...

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

silversiren posted:

Ugg, I had a similar situation earlier today.

For background, I also currently work grocery until I can find work in my field as I just graduated from university. Anyway..

I had a customer put 5 items on my counter. She then turns around and leaves without saying a word. I did not notice this, as I was busy finishing up the order of the previous customer. So I look to my right and see 5 items sitting there, and a customer with a cart standing by these items. This is common, as customers will often begin to unload their groceries from their carts by putting them on my counter.
So I begin ringing them up, and then turn to the customer with the cart and kindly ask her to move it forward so I can continue ringing up the order. She stares at me like I just told her I am a serial rapist, when she meekly says "um..those are not my items."
At first I am confused, but then I figure that someone probably just ran off to quickly pick up something else. This is also happens, a lot. I personally find it to be very rude, but usually said customer is back within a second or two so I deal with it. So I wait, and wait, and wait. No one shows up. I can see the line forming at my register and I can see a look of frustration in people's eyes as they wonder why I am just standing there. "Enough is enough" I think to myself, and I call my manager over to cancel the order so I can move on to the next customer.
Like magic, a lady runs up to my register and mutters a "sorry" and asks how much her order is. Now at this point I'm irritated, because she had run off to do who knows what the gently caress while other people in line are patiently waiting, and didn't even return with more groceries. In a nice but admittedly stern voice, I say to her "ma'am, I kindly ask that in the future you stay with your groceries, it's rather rude to the other customers if we're all standing here waiting on you." So I finish up the order and figure the matter is finished. However, before she leaves, she says to me in a voice a mother would use to talk down to a child "What you said to me, and the way you said it, was very rude and I did not appreciate it. You could have handled yourself better."

Of COURSE one of my managers, the one I had called over is standing right there. So of course my manager then says, loud enough for everyone else to hear, "Solaris, try not to be so rude to the customers next time." :suicide:

Oh did I mention that if said bitch of customer emails a complain I get an automatic write-up? And one write-up is enough to cancel any sort of raise I'd get this year (30 loving cents whoop-de-loving-do). Seriously, gently caress retail/grocery and gently caress customers. I'm a loving ace at customer service - I've done it for seven years now, since High School and all the way through university. I put up with a lot, and I mean a lot of poo poo for meager pay and the possibility of a meager raise. So you know what, it kind of sucks when ONE, ONE goddamn complaint is enough to torpedo your entire year and any chance of that meager raise.

Sorry, I had to rant. And for any grammar errors, but it's 230am so whatever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well today we shoved over the entire express center for O'rielly, we sprayed WD40 to make it easier to move. We then moved the battery rack in the now opened space and were putting batteries away, and I knelt down to slide a battery in and noticed a wet spot, but I thought it was the WD40 so I didn't really pay attention when I set my arm on it. Immediately I felt my arm burning and ran to the bathroom, and I accidentally bumped into a customer.

When I cleaned off what I assume was battery acid and walked back, I apologized to the man. He was ok and said something like "Us old people are used to being shoved around." Nice to meet a customer that can make a joke over accidents.

However, this store had to be the most disorganized store I have ever seen. Its like the manager just went :effort: and decided to shove everything up onto the shelves. Not a single thing was set to plano, oil filters were all hosed up. TM421 being put on the spot where PS421 is supposed to be, like they just looked at the numbers and threw them up. Which drove me insane when I was shifting all that poo poo, cause I wanted to make it nice and have things set in the right place, but with the way they did it wasn't possible without having me stay there for another day to get things in the right place and get certain oil filters put away.

The part of me that takes pride in making a store look better when I leave it cried that day.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tuckleberry posted:

:words:
I'm not really sure what the point of this post was anymore. I've already worked 60 hours this week and it's only Wednesday - my train of thought is rather skewed.

Well, for what it's worth, I found it to be an enjoyable read.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yet another retail worker at the mercy of lovely customers making totally unfair complaints

THIS MAKES ME SO loving ANGRY!!! gently caress having to hope that no bitch, bastard or lunatic makes a complaint against you in order to get the meagre little raise that you worked hard to get.

I'm guessing the companies brought this kind of practice in in order to avoid giving out raises; comic book evil strikes again. :argh:

(I have only worked in retail in my own country and I can reasonably say that this just doesn't happen here.)

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
At my last job, after the second time someone from corporate came to see Soul Surfer (I really wish companies like this would stop validating the Texan religious stereotypes), and our managers were on pins and needles trying to make sure he wasn't bothered, I just said to our bartender, "Y'know, I'm really hoping things change when our generation succeeds theirs in the corporate position". I know it'll probably never happen and their lovely, self-entitled hell children will just take over with the same lack of respect towards their workers, but I can still hope.

I haven't received my first paycheck yet from the new job, but I'm trying to make a point from now on of tipping well whenever I can, and respecting retail/food service employees as much as possible. I went to get gas today, and the pump just wasn't working. Eventually, I went to the attendant to tell him, and he reacted in a "Ah, this one again" sort of way, and walked me over back to the pump, explaining that some of the old ones need you to manually life the stock when removing the nozzle, in a really polite manner.

I really wish there was something I could do beyond just a simple "thanks". For all the bullshit ways corporate allows assholes to ruin these peoples' lives, they sure don't give the nicer types much in the way way of rewarding them. :smith:

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Tuckleberry posted:

After 20 years you're a housekeeper making $30/hr. That doesn't make sense

Actually, that makes perfect sense. As was said before, due to inflation, in about 20 years, things will be that much more expensive that your standard of living at $30/hr will be exactly the same as at $11/hr today.

Speaking of which, that's why I really dislike people complaining 'oh, everything's so expensive nowadays!', while ignoring the raises they get and how much more money they're making. It's like people expect everything to just magically get better for them.

e: ^ I'm sure you know this, but a simple 'thanks' actually really makes my day. I mean, I say 'Have a nice evening!' to pretty much every customer, and have done for the past 7 months, and it's a massive surprise whenever someone says 'You too!'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009

Luquos posted:

Actually, that makes perfect sense. As was said before, due to inflation, in about 20 years, things will be that much more expensive that your standard of living at $30/hr will be exactly the same as at $11/hr today.

Speaking of which, that's why I really dislike people complaining 'oh, everything's so expensive nowadays!', while ignoring the raises they get and how much more money they're making. It's like people expect everything to just magically get better for them.

e: ^ I'm sure you know this, but a simple 'thanks' actually really makes my day. I mean, I say 'Have a nice evening!' to pretty much every customer, and have done for the past 7 months, and it's a massive surprise whenever someone says 'You too!'.

Sorry that portion wasn't clearer, I was WIRED as gently caress writing that. That $30 was relative to today. I have one housekeeper who has been at the hotel for 12 years and gotten 4 raises, started at $5.25 and makes $11.50 now. If "policy" were followed she would've gotten a 6% raise annually and been at some crazy $/hr now. The point I was trying to make is it's hard to explain that to someone who's been a loyal and key part of a housekeeping team for over 12 years. $11.50 is actually really high for a housekeeper and I'm sure the company would rather me find ways to write her up and fire her and hire a new person at minimum wage ($7.25 now?) But interviewing and training sucks so I'll push back against that as hard as I can.

Actually since I took this hotel over employee turnover has plummeted. It's a nice feeling.