Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Went to TRU today since all the stores in the area said they were getting Lego shipments in on Wednesday. Picked up the three larger Alien Conquest sets--Earth Defense HQ, Alien Mothership, and Jet Copter Encounter. I debated buying the entire line, but I figured $200 was plenty to drop at once and the rest can wait for a sale or coupon or something.

Commencing build now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nws
Jul 20, 2004
Part time SCUBA Instructor......
I don't remember sharing this picture of my groom's cake from last year.

Tiffany made it, and it was a lot of fun to tear apart and eat.
http://www.tiffanysbakingco.com/

Back to lurking.

A Clever Pun
Mar 27, 2010
Sort of maybe thinking about getting back into LEGO. Out of the four modular buildings, which one do you guys think is best?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

A Clever Pun posted:

Sort of maybe thinking about getting back into LEGO. Out of the four modular buildings, which one do you guys think is best?

Probably the Grand Emporium. The Cafe Corner was too early for me, and wasn't around by the time I was interested in the buildings, so I can't really judge it. Green Grocer's first floor is good, but the apartments above it are pretty boring, and some of the features are tough to get at. Fire Brigade's got some great details, but the first floor is so deep you can't really play around in it. Grand Emporium's got 3 floors of reasonable depth, some great details, and IMO, the best facade.
We'll see in a little while how the Pet Shop holds up to 'em.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I want to get that lumberjack to go with the hockey player I have for my friends in Canada. I'm sure they'd love it :v:

Edit: Haha, I didn't even notice the beaver on his trucker cap. That's perfect.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 7, 2011

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Look at all these Lego we have.

Crappy Iphone picture though.

Also I have doubles of these guys...

(Frankenstein and the Viking)

Anyone want to trade and we'll post them out to each other?

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Just got myself the Creator Sonic Boom set couple days ago. I ended up building a biplane with the pieces before I actually built the normal jet plane. Great set, glad I'm back into Lego. Now to somehow balance this one on top of the Grand Emporium...

Testro
May 2, 2009
I've only got one minifig so far, which a friend gave to me - but I think I'd like all of this series; they look awesome.

After lusting after Tower Bridge, I decided that I was going to start on the modular buildings first because Tower Bridge would be around for a while. Then I promptly won Tower Bridge on eBay, so I've had to scrap that plan.

Does anyone know if the launch of Pet Shop is likely to bring about the demise of Fire Brigade? It makes more sense with my Lego VIP points to buy Grand Emporium first, but I can foresee me doing that and Fire Brigade being discontinued in the meantime...

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

nws posted:

I don't remember sharing this picture of my groom's cake from last year.

Tiffany made it, and it was a lot of fun to tear apart and eat.
http://www.tiffanysbakingco.com/

Back to lurking.

Clearly none of those studs are in proportion with each other. Immersion destroyed :colbert: Seriously though that looks pretty good, were the bricks all frosting or were they actually cake too?

Flavor Bear posted:

Wait a second.
Is that gangster's pistol done in gunmetal?

I kinda doubt it but its possible. I want the gangster regardless since it looks like he has an instrument suitcase for weapons.

Fiddled with the mandibles for a long time last night and made some good progress I guess...

Though now that I have a fresh look at it I can see quite a few things to change :doh:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Tkytko posted:

Higher res shot of series 5 is out.

Dunno about gunmetal but that pistol does look a little different from the current one.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

I kinda doubt it but its possible. I want the gangster regardless since it looks like he has an instrument suitcase for weapons.
I don't mean a new color, I mean that new "pearl dark gray" that the Pharaoh's Quest swords are done in.
I hope that violin case opens and can fit one of those Tommy gun-looking guns.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Flavor Bear posted:

I don't mean a new color, I mean that new "pearl dark gray" that the Pharaoh's Quest swords are done in.
I hope that violin case opens and can fit one of those Tommy gun-looking guns.

Yeah, the pearl dark gray is the color I thought you meant actually, but its hard to tell since those pre-release pictures tend to be more shiny than the actual thing. And it would be awesome if the case opens.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

InfinEight posted:

Yeah, the pearl dark gray is the color I thought you meant actually, but its hard to tell since those pre-release pictures tend to be more shiny than the actual thing. And it would be awesome if the case opens.

I'm sure it opens, you can see a hinge in that photo. It looks wider than the briefcase too so maybe the pistol at least could fit in.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Here's a major WIP picture of the concrete truck my wife is building. I figured now was a good time to grab a picture seeing as the thing is half apart to fix some issues with the air compressor and some of the lines.

The assembly sitting in front of the rear tires is the dual air compressor that sits in the cavity in the middle of the truck. 5 pneumatic valves at the back operate 4 pairs of pneumatic rams that raise and lower the boom with the 5th valve operating as a purge valve.

The turntable for the boom is operated via another motor that's still hidden.

Not shown are the outrigger legs to stabilize the truck and the concrete hopper that attaches to the back.

She's got the body of the truck modeled with the proper color scheme in MLCad but it's going to require some alteration.

The last part count for the truck minus the boom was somewhere around 5000 pieces. Keep in mind that's WITH doing things like fixing spots where she has stuff like a row of 1x2 plates where a 1x8 would do the trick. The reason for a lot of that is because every once in a while I'll rip in to the truck to swipe some pieces for my own builds.

When she orders the parts in the right color my bank account is going to scream. Fortunately that isn't coming for a while seeing as I don't have a job.

It's going to look something like this when it's finished:

I had to sacrifice the tank track assembly that's at the front of the truck because we completely ran out of extra long frictionless technic pins. The stupid tank was stumping me anyways. :(

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 7, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Anyone ever heard of/been to Lego Kidsfest?

http://www.legokidsfest.com/

It's coming to town and I was wondering if it was worth the money. If it's kinda just "look at some crazy poo poo people built" eh, I see enough of that in this thread.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I've finished building the three Alien Conquest sets I bought on Friday. Sorry for no pictures...I'm not really set up for that right now.

Jet-Copter Encounter: $40 at TRU, 375 pieces
This is the second largest human set, and comes with one human pilot, two twin aliens and a twinned set of alien craft. The chopper's appreciably beefy, and it's pretty swooshable. It has an alien capture pod that can attach underneath, but it's not in the way and doesn't have the stupid shoot-to-break-out play feature from Space Police 3. I'm pretty sure the 6x6x2 canopy piece is new, but it isn't hinged. It has two of the new tailfins, also used in the new Shuttle set. The human minifig has a great :smug: face. The alien minifigs don't fit into their craft very well, but they do capture the feel of the rest of the alien spacecraft.

Alien Mothership: $60 at TRU, 416 pieces. Not a very good price:piece ratio, but it gets you one of the more unique ships Lego's ever made (well, for them; it's a more traditional UFO).
It nets you an Alien Commander that has the squid legs from some of the Atlantis sets only in green. He's also decked out with shiny gold epaulets and a red cape. You also get a woman reporter with a microphone and a clipboard. She's got red suit with pinstripes that's printed on front and back of the torso, but has the boring bowl-cut hair.
The mothership's made up primarily of 8 curved railroad tracks around the outside edge connected to the cockpit with a turntable. Inside the turntable is a sound brick that produces a woo-woo-woo sound when you spin it. There's a handle on the back of the cockpit so you can acually spin it. There's also an articulated abduction claw. There is a wealth of TransNeonGreen grill tiles, 1x4 TransBlue tiles, and bley 2x4x2/3 curved slopes. It also introduces (?) 2x4x1 curved slopes. The underside of the ship's a bit of an eyesore; they didn't spend much effort or piececount doing detailing.

Earth Defense HQ: $90 at TRU, 879 pieces.
This set comes with two Earth Defense soldiers, one scientist, a brute alien, and a cyborg alien with robo-tentacle arm and a mechanical leg.
This is the big ground set; the equivalent to the Mega Core Magnetizer or Armored Drilling Unit. There's a great fighter jet (with another new canopy, 8x4x2 with a bar hinge) that could be considered a Vic Viper homage that has a launching rack on the back of the HQ, a big flick-fire missile turret, and a two-piece vehicle. The front half looks mean and heavy duty. It has a two-person cockpit, a storage area for an alien containment unit (which is slightly different than the chopper's, in that it has a 1x2 plate with a door rail instead of a 1x2 hinge plate), and a science station. We've got another new windscreen, this one 8x4x2 without a hinge, and a 6x4 plate with pegs to become a mostly-flush hinge. The back section is the requisite science lab, complete with a gurney and a little car to pull it. There's some sort of medical scanner, a couple of drawers with supplies, and a cabinet with a laptop. It also comes with two of the new syringes and three more of the new hinged 4x6 plates. The fighter's launch platform is articulated to raise it into a launching position. All of the HQ's roof pieces come off for easy access.
Where the HQ joins together is the set's weak spot. Completely together, there's no articulation, so it can't turn. It includes a feature that lets the two halves partially separate so it can use a ball joint, but that's the only connection point, so it's pretty weak. When it's completely together there are two clips that go together to increase the strength, but they're only on the bottom. If you try to pick up the entire HQ by holding just one half, it will split apart. The design should have been modified to include some more attachment points in the top of the HQ. The lack of articulation and the poor connection means the HQ isn't very swooshable (if you can apply that word to a ground vehicle). It sure looks badass, though.

Both the HQ and Mothership include a headcrab brainslug Alien Clinger. The HQ and Chopper each have two of the new double-barrel pistols (the chopper's are part of the nose gun), and two of the new ray pistols from the Minifigs line. Mothership has one of those. HQ and Chopper both have lots of slopes and wedges in blue, including the new 1x2x2/3 half slopes. All minifigs except the reporter have leg printing, and all the human torsos have back printing. The scientist is the only human without an alternate head print, but he's got some serious sideburns going on.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

i think i have a problem, i just spent $110 on hero factory stuff. Not that i regret it mind you, but still.

Even weirder was that between yesterday and today (i made two twips), target sold out of 3 specific colours of them (blue and yellow, and one of the villains) in the space of 24 hours, yet they werent on special.

I think someone else went on a lego buying spree too.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
That crazy fucker building the Master Chief armor finally finished it:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

afflictionwisp posted:

That crazy fucker building the Master Chief armor finally finished it:

I hate when people cheap out on the undersuit :colbert:.

This is amazing. I can't believe the level of detail he got...I'd love to see this with more color.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Why are you posting that here wait is that made from Lego!? :aaa:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Click the photo to check the Flickr gallery, there's lots more shots and production pics.

All he needs now is a black turtleneck to get rid of the obviously exposed skin under the helmet.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Parts of it are glued together >: (

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Sockser posted:

You might as well bitch about him not using official Lego velco. I think we can forgive him, just this once :P

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Got a Hazmat guy, hockey player and mad scientist today.
I feel like I've accomplished something.
:c00lbert:

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

Anyone ever heard of/been to Lego Kidsfest?

http://www.legokidsfest.com/

It's coming to town and I was wondering if it was worth the money. If it's kinda just "look at some crazy poo poo people built" eh, I see enough of that in this thread.

My club has done displays at two Kidsfests now. As the name implies, it is geared towards children. There are big free build areas, collaborative builds, (people did small squares of two large mosaics last time) large scultures, and AFOL displays. Last year there was also an on-site Lego Store, so that was pretty cool.

We will probably be at the Pittsburgh and Hartford shows this year. In the past, AFOL groups have been compensated fairly well for their time, which is why we agreed to participate at all. There hasn't been a whole lot else for us to do there besides man our tables. I would say, if you have kids who are into Lego, they'd probably get a real kick out of it. For the adults, you'd be better off going to a fan convention like Brickworld or Brickfair.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Hey, Lego thread, I've reached a tough spot on my Thunderbolt and I could use a little advice. Here's a work in progress, with a shot of one of the miniatures to help me explain:

These shoulders are loving retarded. Mine are looking a lot bulkier than the miniature's, which is a concession I had decided to make so I'd have plenty of room for a hinge to make that funny angled piece work, and the arms are pretty bulky anyway so I figured it would still look good, especially since the hips are already much wider than the mini's. But I'm worried about the shoulder joints. I've been flip-flopping between a ball-and-socket and an Exo-force joint (which I don't have any of to test):

Which one of these things is stronger? I'm leaning towards towards the ball joint, because it places the shoulder pad higher, which makes the gap between the top of the shoulder pad and the torso less noticeable, but I want to be able to display this thing in the same pose as the mini, with the right arm extended. You can see from the mini that the right arm is going to end up very front-heavy, so strength is more important.

Or, if there's a third alternative, I'd love to entertain it!

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 9, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The exo force joints are pretty strong and posable. They're ratcheting so dont slip over time if you've got a lot of weight on them. Unless you've got too much weight in which case it doesnt matter which joint you've got. Just look at their original applications to see their 'suggested loads' I guess. Bionicle sized figures for ball and sockets, and exo-force mech sizes for the ratcheting joints.

The model's looking pretty good, except for the legs. If you scaled them up a little you'd get proportions closer to the miniature.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 9, 2011

Stevoh
Feb 17, 2011
Yep I think you may need the splined Exo Force joints. The ball and socket can wear out over time and it is hit or miss on how strong they hold. Ask me how I know, I have like 20 of them from a project that never got started.

I too am curious on more builds for joints or points of articulation. My techniques are kinda minimal right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sockser posted:

I KNOW, and he didn't even use Space quarter-domes for the visor instead of some piece of NON-LEGO chrome gold thing, UGH

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I am going to share my latest creation with you, simple as it may be right now:

This is part of the lab I have created for my character participating in Zoofights. There is more or less twice as much that comprises this particular section, but the rest is just filler, more or less, and not interesting at all. As Zoofights continues, I will create more and more sections of my Scientist's lair, and post them here if you guys don't object. As for the scientist's face, I chose this face because it is the most neutral face with features that I have the most expressions for. It will give allow me more freedom when creating new scenes.

Of course, if you guys have any hints/tips/suggestions/criticism in the next months feel free to post them, because I'm always willing to learn.

(And yes, I know it's dusty, but it's a scientist's robotics workshop, what do you expect?)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Designer Kitchen and Dining Area

OH MY GODDDDDD

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
What are the lamp chains?

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
:stare: Any more by that guy?

E: oh, looked in his flickr

Megafunk fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 10, 2011

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Megafunk posted:

:stare: Any more by that guy?

E: oh, looked in his flickr

Holy poo poo the little annotation notes are so obnoxious!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

What are the lamp chains?

Battle droid arms.

nws
Jul 20, 2004
Part time SCUBA Instructor......

InfinEight posted:

Clearly none of those studs are in proportion with each other. Immersion destroyed :colbert: Seriously though that looks pretty good, were the bricks all frosting or were they actually cake too?

That's the kind of feedback I wanted from this thread. I'd like to say that she wasn't paid for the obvious flaws in the bricks, but we were super happy with the whole thing.

The bricks were all cake covered in fondant. Fun to cut into and fun to eat.

nws fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 10, 2011

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Stevoh posted:

I too am curious on more builds for joints or points of articulation. My techniques are kinda minimal right now.

InfinEight posted a few of his techniques in this thread, but I would also be interested in anything he or anyone else has to share. That large-scale Eva build that was posted here recently got me thinking about trying to do one of my own, but my mecha building skills are non-existant.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Mill Village Raid is available at the online LEGO shop.
The Blacksmith Attack still isn't, though :ohdear:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

As continuing evidence I should not be managing my own finances, I went up to Bellevue (a 40 minute trip at best one way; in traffic, at least 50% longer) today and bought the Pet Shop. Also got a PAB cup--two of each color Hero Factory chest(?) piece and 4 of each color armor piece. Employee said that was the last day they'd be there on the wall. They may have some us as decoration. I mostly got a cup because they had 1x4 log bricks and black scorpions. Since I bought enough, I got a free silicone minifig ice cube tray.

I'm so drat glad I'm done with my car payments in July. I should have the willpower to get myself out of this debt hole I've been digging.

Also, my sister got me a few pounds of what looks like mostly late-90s/early-2000s sets from her sister-in-law's girlfriend, who was just gonna toss them. I wonder how often that happens...people who just throw away bricks instead of taking them to goodwill or putting them on craigslist or even giving them to a neighbor's kids.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Pyroclastic posted:

Also, my sister got me a few pounds of what looks like mostly late-90s/early-2000s sets from her sister-in-law's girlfriend, who was just gonna toss them. I wonder how often that happens...people who just throw away bricks instead of taking them to goodwill or putting them on craigslist or even giving them to a neighbor's kids.

Really often, My brother dropped off 6 cases of Lego one day. He had been helping a buddy move and was told to just toss em in the dumpster he didn't want them anymore.