Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

MichiganCubbie posted:

I believe it's a newer mk2. He offered to let me try it for a week to see if I thought that it was too beat up. He's looking for around 200 for it, and it has a Shure cart on it. I'll check it out and see. Thanks a lot, guys
If you don't buy it I will. $200 anymore is unheard of for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Just finished building a copy of a Graham Slee Genera phono preamp and a 24 volt LM317 regulated power supply for it. It still needs to burn in but even now it sounds unbelievably good. It's clean and detailed and somehow manages to push surface noise so far back it's hard to detect. The presentation is free of the edge and harshness you would expect in an opamp based circuit. It beats the onboard phono section of my Harman Kardon HK 3490 receiver hands down and runs circles around it. If you're handy with a soldering iron and love vinyl records, this is a project that is worth your time.

http://www.gspaudio-community.activeboards.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=745&PN=1&SID=8c4dbcfe82a4aaa4b67a18bf23728425

The last post on page 17 is me gushing like a school girl about how awsome it is.

The Corin Tucker Band's 1000 Years sounds so freakin good.

Now I have to fix a friend's subwoofer amp that's burnt to a crisp.

Edit: Day two of listening through the newly built Genera phono preamp. I'm totally in love with this thing. It's such a huge upgrade. This is what people are talking about when they say vinyl is as good if not better than CDs. If I hadn't built the thing myself from scratch, the $185 price that Graham Slee is asking for the kit would be worth every penny. For another $35 you can have him build it if you don't have the tools to build it yourself. Joining his forum and making a post will get you a 5% discount off the product price. The shipping to the US is still a flat 40 GBP ($60 USD) which is a bit high.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 15, 2011

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ghumbs posted:

If you don't buy it I will. $200 anymore is unheard of for those.

This. I just spent about 350 for a mk2 with a new DJ cartridge (Numark something-or-other). Best money I've spent relative to vinyl.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I stopped at a yard sale today and walked away with a Sansui P-L45 linear tracking turntable for the paltry sum of $2. Why did I get it so cheap? Because the owner pulled it out of storage and tested it without a record. The arm would always return and stop after pressing start, so he thought it was broken. What he didn't know was that it senses whether there's a 12" or 7" on the platter and automatically plays whatever size is on there; if there's no record on the platter, the arm will stop and return to save the needle from dropping on nothing.

I did not know this, either, and thought that it could be a fun project I could fiddle-gently caress around with since it was only $2, but I sure as hell know about it now :haw:

It needs a needle, but everything else checks out fine. I even cleaned it up and it looks brand new sans a scratch across the top of the clear plastic cover, but I'm not too worried about cosmetics; I just want a good working and sounding second turntable. What are the opinions here on linear tracking turntables? How about Sansui of this vintage (I'm thinking circa 1980-1982)? It seems solidly built and heavy, but there's not much info about it online except for the owner's manual and needle replacement. I don't have my camera on me, but have these GIS'd pictures to see what it looks like:

A MUCH, MUCH LATER EDIT: I borrowed a friend's Technics cartridge to test my new turntable out since they're both common P-mounts, and it sounds and works flawlessly. I am a happy camper with a great new toy.

My next question, however, is what P-mount cartridge is the best bang for the [cheap] buck? a majority I've seen are either Audio Technica or Shure, and from what I've read, Shures don't have very good highs. What's the consensus from the needle/stylus/cartridge gurus here?

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 16, 2011

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
Just picked up an SL 1200 mk2, well two to be precise, though I'll probably filp the other one.

They're in almost mint condition and one even came with an AT440mla. Such a step up from my lovely TEAC.

(Maybe I should keep both, one in the office, one in the lounge...)

Atreyu
Feb 14, 2004
'Your bum is the greatest thing about you; so that in the beastliest sense, you are Pompey the Great.'
Some serious help needed. The only options I have on Turntables so far have both got very sparse and/or mixed reviews online.

My requirements are a hassle free player that does not require a preamp.

The first is the Lenco L69
http://bit.ly/g0lUIF

And the second is the Reloop RP1000
http://bit.ly/gqhVjy

I don't intend using the USB function much and have no intention of becoming a DJ. As of now, I'm leaning slightly towards the Lenco because I stand to get it at a more reasonable price and it ships with a cover. I live in a fearsomely dusty place and so I can see that being a distinct advantage. Which one of these is better? I wouldn't mind paying a price premium and investing in dust protection for something that's really good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Atreyu fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 17, 2011

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Atreyu posted:

Some serious help needed. The only options I have on Turntables so far have both got very sparse and/or mixed reviews online.

I don't intend using the USB function much and have no intention of becoming a DJ. As of now, I'm leaning slightly towards the Lenco because I stand to get it at a more reasonable price and it ships with a cover. I live in a fearsomely dusty place and so I can see that being a distinct advantage. Which one of these is better? I wouldn't mind paying a price premium and investing in dust protection for something that's really good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't get the Lenco. It's a plastic piece of crap.

The Reloop looks to be built to a much higher standard - Machined metal platter and other parts instead of plastic, real bearings in the tonearm, properly adjustable weight settings, and it has a common, reasonably good quality Audio Technica cartridge that can easily be upgraded - Not to mention it weighs 8.6kg... More than double the Lenco.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 17, 2011

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Atreyu posted:

That first one is definitely a no go; You're paying for the recording technology they have (Which is lovely) and all of the turntable parts are bare bones.

The second one looks a bit better, but mostly because it's clearly a technics SL-1200 mk 2 ripoff. If built decent, it should serve you much better. You will need a pre-amp with that though, but you should get a pre-amp.

If I were you, I'd do one of the following:

-Save up for a better setup. You won't need much more to get a Project Debut III or Rega P1 (They come with a dust cover) and a starter pre-amp will only run you an additional 25 or so euro.

-Get the reloop and a starter pre-amp. Use a cardboard box as a dust cover (Seriously).

-Start digging in the used market. I take it you're european so there are probably a ton of great turn tables floating around.

Atreyu
Feb 14, 2004
'Your bum is the greatest thing about you; so that in the beastliest sense, you are Pompey the Great.'
Wow that was quick! Thanks a ton.

Actually I'm from India and these are among the only widely available models. I ideally wanted a preamp free setup since I don't really have the space to put another box next to a setup that already consists of CD player, equalizer, an amplifier and a largish woofer. I can just about manage to squeezze in an LP player.

I've cancelled the Lenco from my list and will just ask around a little more - there are supposed to be some of the newer models from Denon and Numark available, but they are a little hard to track down. Anything in particular I should be looking out for (or avoid) by these two manufacturers?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

You Are A Elf posted:

My next question, however, is what P-mount cartridge is the best bang for the [cheap] buck? a majority I've seen are either Audio Technica or Shure, and from what I've read, Shures don't have very good highs. What's the consensus from the needle/stylus/cartridge gurus here?

Go the AT311EP. Every time I repair a T4P machine that is decent like yours, I throw one of these in.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 17, 2011

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ron Burgundy posted:

Go the AT311EP. Every time I repair a T4P machine that is decent like yours, I throw one of these in.

Sweet. I was leaning toward this one since it seemed a better deal than the cheaper AT cartridges and had overall great reviews, but now I'm set on which one to get.

Thanks, Burgundy. I shall drink some milk on a hot day in your honor.

Atreyu
Feb 14, 2004
Just one more question! I have got a good price on a Sherwood PM9805.
http://www.sherwood-av.com.au/Components/PM9805Turntable/tabid/97/Default.aspx

How does that compare to the Reloop model RP1000?

Have decided to go in for a preamp since I've got no good reviews about the preamp equipped USB models.

Kurt Bonguhit
Oct 15, 2007

So it goes.
Howdy, I'm looking for some advice in the 2-channel receiver and speaker department. I've been really into vinyl collecting for the past few years, own over 300 LPs, but every turntable I've ever owned has been a thrift store receiver unit that craps out after a couple months, a super, super awesome 50's bureau full-tube table that some mover's broke and can't be fixed, and a Crosley portable unit. I live in a really bland, church-and-football-oriented part of America, and after spending untold hours browsing thrift stores and flea markets I've decided to give up on the second-hand market because apparently no one around here ever bought audio equipment anywhere but department stores, and I don't want to mess around with eBay.

I've already ordered an Audio-Technica LP120 with a nicer cartridge pre-installed, but I'm not sure how I want to go about setting up a system.

I've searched for 2-channel receivers, and this Harman Kardon unit seems like the only semi-new receiver that seems worth a drat, it looks nice, and it seems like it'd be worth keeping around for the long haul. Am I fooling myself?

Secondly, I really have no idea what good home speakers are. I'm a bit of an amateur musician and understand instrument cabs and PA speakers, but I'm totally lost as far as home audio goes. What're some good value cabinets/book shelf models to look into on the internet, and should I just go to Best Buy and buy whatever looks nice? My budget is $100-200.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
I have the HK 3490 and love it. The Infinity Primus P162 or P163 are really well reviewed bookshelf speakers that I've been wanting to get to try out. They retail for $104-139 each or $239 a pair depending on who you check. If I hadn't just purchased a pair of Polk RTi A3s for $100 off, I would have bought a set. I still may get some to try out at their inexpensive price.

Sad to hear about your tube console being destroyed. The circuits are quite easy to repair. Did they do a number on the cabinet?

Let me guess, you live either in the south or midwest. Bland, boring people that are only interested in hunting, fishing, church, trucks, Mustangs, and college basketball seems to be the norm here in the sticks. People with more diverse interests seem to gravitate towards larger cities.

Edit: Polk RTi A3s just arrived. They were $100 off this past weekend on Newegg. They are definitely a step up from the Monitor 40s I was using. Now I need to get my Genera phono preamp back from the neighbor's house or build a second one. Also just received the parts for pair of Sigma 11 power supplies to do just that. I'm going to build one Genera with the stock standard parts and a second one on a breadboard to experiment with part choices. This thing is an experimenter's dream. It consists of an inexpensive opamp and a handful of caps and resistors but sounds so good.

VVV Somethings probably wrong with the internal preamp. The needle alone wouldn't cause it to be loud. What kind of input do you have it plugged into? What piece of equipment blew a fuse?

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 21, 2011

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Question resolved, thank you

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 21, 2011

Snowman95
Nov 25, 2004
So I've always like the look of those vintage record players and wanted to try my hand at fixing one up and modernising (adding a DIY MP3 input into the unit, ipod dock etc (not even sure how hard that would be)

Given that I only have basic soldering skills and next to no electronic knowledge, I like giving poo poo a shot though it should be fun?

I came across this baby a couple days ago (sorry for the crap phone camera shots)

A Stereo by H.M.V. - "Caprice" for $50

It's in very good condition physically, the tuner works AM only, the record player doesn't work, the owner said that it might need a new belt or something.

Are there any resources for taking a 60's style record player apart? I caught some videos on youtube

Given that it's in such a decent state, I kind of feel bad about wanting to "modernise" it, but I'd love for it to be a functional, with FM radio, some better speakers and at a later stage maybe something like this

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital-audio-mp3-player-module-with-remote-controller-1-4-lcd-57558

Firstly I'd like to get the record player working any advice would be great.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Why the hell is the 1200 being sold new for a grand on Amazon? I saw a few posts in this thread saying that production for them really isn't being halted and that the price raise for them is b.s. Meanwhile, I'm seeing a grip of them on eBay being sold used for $300 and less.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Illumination posted:

Why the hell is the 1200 being sold new for a grand on Amazon? I saw a few posts in this thread saying that production for them really isn't being halted and that the price raise for them is b.s. Meanwhile, I'm seeing a grip of them on eBay being sold used for $300 and less.

Production has been halted.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Ghumbs posted:

Production has been halted.

hmmm. I should probably check the date of those posts and/or learn how to read

Atreyu
Feb 14, 2004
Finally went in for the Sherwood. Sounds great. King Crimson on LP is quite something else. Thanks for the help, y'all.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Anyone have thoughts on a Technics SL-210 with a Shure M97x cart for about 120 dollars? Am I overpaying for this thing?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
The cartridge is worth at least half of that(retail is over $100)

Don't know about the table though

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I picked up an AT LP60 a few months ago, and it always skips near the end of a record. I've tried it with at least 7 records, and on all but one there'll be a skip near the end. I looked it up online and some guys were talking about having to adjust needle pressure and skate. How would I go about doing this on an AT LP60, or should I just try to get it replaced?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Stuntman posted:

I picked up an AT LP60 a few months ago, and it always skips near the end of a record. I've tried it with at least 7 records, and on all but one there'll be a skip near the end. I looked it up online and some guys were talking about having to adjust needle pressure and skate. How would I go about doing this on an AT LP60, or should I just try to get it replaced?

It looks like the AT LP60 has a fixed tonearm weight and skate setting set at the factory. That's common for those lower-end turntables. Just gotta buy a new TT it looks like.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Thom and the Heads posted:

Anyone have thoughts on a Technics SL-210 with a Shure M97x cart for about 120 dollars? Am I overpaying for this thing?

The thing about the SL-B210 is that it's a Belt-driven system. Know that you'll probably have to replace the belt on it. Audiokarma says that it's worth around 20 dollars in good condition.

I actually just picked up a SL-Q200 direct-drive for 30 dollars. While the cart is a good value, you can probably find better elsewhere.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Theres a Dual 505, 506, and 1225 on craigslist right now for 100$ each.. I want to get a Dual and was leaning towards 1225... any thoughts?

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

Not an Anthem posted:

Theres a Dual 505, 506, and 1225 on craigslist right now for 100$ each.. I want to get a Dual and was leaning towards 1225... any thoughts?

Those are all good turntables, but they each of them has a couple of potential issues. The 1225 is an idler drive, which makes it difficult and expensive to maintain/repair. Idlers are great when they're working well, but they are prone to developing problems with age. 1225 also was also towards the lower end of Dual's idler line. You could probably find a 1219 or a 1229 for a similar price, both of which have better drive systems and arms.

The 505 and 506 both had headshells that only fit a series of Ortofon cartridges that are no longer being made. They came with an adapter to mount a standard cartridge, but the adapter will be hard to get if the used ones you're looking at don't have it. 505 and 506 also had an unusually low mass arm, so low compliance cartridges don't work well at all. They were designed specifically for the Ortofon "OM" series, but Shure m97xe and at440mla work well on them too.

I'd personally go with the 505/506. Both have the same arm, and similar specs. Both will also outperform a 1225. I would maybe get a 1229 over a 505/506 though. Between 505 and 506, it's mostly a matter of aesthetics and whether you prefer semi-automatic or manual operation.

Funeral Pudding fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 1, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Stuntman posted:

I don't actually know if it could have any bearing on the matter but have you checked (with a spirit level) that the unit is level?

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
It's possible that it could also be a setup issue. The inner grooves are a bit harder to track than the outer ones. You may need to check the alignment with an appropriate protractor.

Edit: Finished a Sigma 11 24 volt power supply yesterday. I'll have a second copy of a Graham Slee Genera phono preamp finished probably on Wednesday. What's the current image hosting website since Waffleimages is no longer taking new uploads?

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 3, 2011

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Checking with a level, it's slightly off-balance. Like, the bubble is about 1mm to the left. I don't know if this amount of off-balanceness would make it skip and such, but I can tell around the part when it's going to skip because the sound gets kinda distorted. I don't mean in terms of there's more noise, but vocals kinda clip. Would this be a result of being off-balance?

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?

Almost finished up with my second copy of a Graham Slee Genera phono preamp. It turned out really well on a Vector 4614 perfboard in a Hammond 1455N1601 chassis. The RCA jacks are a gold plated Neutrik part. The last set of RCA jacks I used (Switchcraft?) came from Antique Electronic Supply. They were a bit better quality and made with solid brass. The last Genera I made with only one dual opamp. This one I wanted to try two single opamps. Either a pair of TL071s, AD711s or LF351s.

This is a Sigma 11 power supply built for 24 volts and also fits in a Hammond 1455N1601 chassis. AMB carries the boards and matched semiconductors. It's a nice discrete component power supply that offers a bit better noise figures compared to integrated regulators. The only down side is the current regulator diodes that are hard to find and $5 a piece.

The masking tape is acting as a temporary insulator until I order some silicone or mica waffers to put in between the mosfets and the heatsinks.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 6, 2011

bike appreciator
Mar 19, 2011

Turntable/vinyl newb here.

I just got handed down this Kenwood KD-37R turntable from my grandma, who never used it.

Works, but it's playing a bit slow. Not sure if that's a bad belt...it's pretty old. Probably going to replace it anyways. Also, the needle looks bent? I mean I don't know if it's supposed to be like this or not.

So I guess what I'm asking is, how can I fix this, and do I want to fix it? Is it any good? I know I can adjust the timing with a screwdriver and that I can check the timing with a strobe disc...but if there is any other tips or something I'd love to hear it. I don't know much.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Has anyone tried any of the new TDK life on record stuff? I'm considering the turntable since 1) it has a built in preamp and 2) its really pretty but I haven't heard much about it yet

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

helsabot posted:

Has anyone tried any of the new TDK life on record stuff? I'm considering the turntable since 1) it has a built in preamp and 2) its really pretty but I haven't heard much about it yet

Also wondering about this. The amazon reviews seem to be down on it because of the USB functionality, which I could care less about. I'd like the built in preamp so I can save money short term... I'm sure I'll buy a better preamp eventually, but for now I'd be fine with built in. And it looks nice. And the price doesn't destroy the bank.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I was all excited about the TDK table but someone posted the specs earlier and they're pretty lovely honestly. Something like <.25 wow and flutter and >60db s/n - Good direct drive tables are usually around <.025 wow and flutter and >75db s/n for reference.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 10, 2011

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

grahm posted:

Also wondering about this. The amazon reviews seem to be down on it because of the USB functionality, which I could care less about. I'd like the built in preamp so I can save money short term... I'm sure I'll buy a better preamp eventually, but for now I'd be fine with built in. And it looks nice. And the price doesn't destroy the bank.

The Amazon reviews are from Vine reviewers. Complete morons. You can see my critique on one of their "reviews" in the comment section. For the price, it doesn't seem to be an awful option, but I'd probably advise something else since I don't like all-in-one features like a built in preamp.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Fozzle posted:

I just got handed down this Kenwood KD-37R turntable from my grandma, who never used it.

Works, but it's playing a bit slow. Not sure if that's a bad belt...it's pretty old. Probably going to replace it anyways. Also, the needle looks bent? I mean I don't know if it's supposed to be like this or not.

Yep, the stylus is shot but that is an OK cartridge and you can get a new stylus assembly pretty cheaply - and Shure carts and styli are available basically everywhere. Also, it's a pretty safe assumption that the belt should be changed if it's a belt-driven turntable. It shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.

EDIT: If you've never changed a Shure stylus assembly, just grab the red thing at the front and pull gently, it should come off without using much force.
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/phono/m92e-value-phono-cartridge (there's a user guide link there).

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 10, 2011

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Fozzle posted:

So I guess what I'm asking is, how can I fix this, and do I want to fix it? Is it any good? I know I can adjust the timing with a screwdriver and that I can check the timing with a strobe disc...but if there is any other tips or something I'd love to hear it. I don't know much.

That stylus is well and truly bent.

The cartridge, however, is a Shure M92E (which is pretty common) and a replacement stylus assembly is available cheaply from pretty much anywhere.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

I just picked up a preamp with decent phono stage built into it last week. As such I've decided to add a turntable to my set up. Can somebody recommend a decent turntable or two under $1000?

edit: vintage or new production, doesn't matter.

Dogbrisket fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Dogbrisket posted:

I just picked up a preamp with decent phono stage built into it last week. As such I've decided to add a turntable to my set up. Can somebody recommend a decent turntable or two under $1000?

edit: vintage or new production, doesn't matter.

Project RPM5 with an Ortofon 2M Black or Vivo Blue.

The new RPM5 has the full 9cc carbon fibre arm from the RPM9, and it's 90% as good as the 9 at 1/3rd the price.