Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

landcollector posted:

Rianna would fit in well with Comacho's Caballeros with her skill set.

Rianna lacks the required :black101: to roll with the Caballeros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have seen art of the Annihilator. Is it even physically capable of punching? I'm of a mind to write it off as "actually he was just waggling his arms trying to aim" while the POV characters were too huge a collective rear end in a top hat to give even the Wolf's Dragoons the benefit of the doubt.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Wait so did someone actually get real-killed or simu-killed in that? And did a mech real-stackpole (how does that happen from simulated weaponry?)?

Can I put any more question marks in there? Can I?
?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I have seen art of the Annihilator. Is it even physically capable of punching? I'm of a mind to write it off as "actually he was just waggling his arms trying to aim" while the POV characters were too huge a collective rear end in a top hat to give even the Wolf's Dragoons the benefit of the doubt.

Even if it could, why would it ever want to? The thing is just a massive platform for LB-X Autocannons. You're made of mech scale shotguns, and in close combat you decide to punch? Why would you ever do that?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Completely unrelated to the unusual and curious torrent of word-filth that is main event:

Is gauss rifle ammo vulnerable to ammo explosions?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

DatonKallandor posted:

Wait so did someone actually get real-killed or simu-killed in that? And did a mech real-stackpole (how does that happen from simulated weaponry?)?

Can I put any more question marks in there? Can I?
?

1) Real-killed.
B) No (it can't, except possibly to a JagerMech).
iii) Probably.
IV) Please don't.

Teledahn posted:

Is gauss rifle ammo vulnerable to ammo explosions?

No. The rifle('s capacitors) explode if hit, however.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've checked the wiki and apparently it's not! The Gauss rifles themselves, however, do explode violently when critically hit. Being unfamiliar with tabletop, I have no idea whether it's better to have a weapon explode or a ton of ammo. Considering the horror stories in the thread, though, I'm willing to bet the ammo's more catastrophic.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 10, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gauss rifle going if you have auto eject disabled might not even take out the arm/torso, so you are down one gun and weakened, if its an arm you lose the arm (which likely only had a gauss in it anyway and any crit takes out the weapon) ammo going is bad, without case your mech is dead if you have anything more than 1 shot per limb away from the center torso left, machine guns have 200 shots and do like 2 damage each and god drat does that kill you.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm willing to bet the ammo's more catastrophic.

Depends.
A Gauss rifle blowing up does damage equivalent to the explosion of 20 ammo units.
Now, if I'm not misremembering, when you have an ammo explosion, the number of ammunition remaining multiplied by the damage value of the weapon is the amount of damage you suffer.
So, with a Gauss Rifle, if it explode, it should do a fixed 15*20=300 damage, that without CASE will cause damage to every other section in-between it and the center torso.
Also this is why machineguns are arguably one of the most dangerous weapons for the user: MGs do 2 points of damage and have 200 ammo units per ton, so if it explode it could do upwards of 400 damage per ton of ammo.
Other ballistic weapons however tend to carry enough ammo per ton to cause around 100 pts of damage in case of a catastrophic explosion of a full ammo bin (AC/10 have 10 shots per ton, AC/20 5, AC/5 20, LRM-20 6, SRM-2 50...).
Usually, though, a mech carries more than 1 ton of ammo so, depending on the weapon, it can be more dangerous than a Gauss rifle. But with the Gauss rifle the damage is fixed, whereas ammo can get expended (especially with the more ammo-hungry weapons like LRM-20s and UACs) and a pilot can always decide to dump it beforehand.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

radintorov posted:

A Gauss rifle blowing up does damage equivalent to the explosion of 20 ammo units.
Now, if I'm not misremembering, when you have an ammo explosion, the number of ammunition remaining multiplied by the damage value of the weapon is the amount of damage you suffer.
So, with a Gauss Rifle, if it explode, it should do a fixed 15*20=300 damage, that without CASE will cause damage to every other section in-between it and the center torso.

Nah, Gauss Rifles of all varieties have a fixed explosion damage. It's just the 20 points for the vanilla GR. Those are only a real problem if you have the GR in a torso with an XL engine. The real issue is the two pilot hits from the tube exploding, which make your MechWarrior a lot more likely to take a quick nap in the middle of a fight.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

Nah, Gauss Rifles of all varieties have a fixed explosion damage. It's just the 20 points for the vanilla GR. Those are only a real problem if you have the GR in a torso with an XL engine. The real issue is the two pilot hits from the tube exploding, which make your MechWarrior a lot more likely to take a quick nap in the middle of a fight.

Ah, got it. I got confused because I remember reading it doing damage equivalent to 20 units of ammo, so I assumed you multiplied it by the damage value as with any other weapons.
In that case gauss rifles are a even better weapon than what they already are.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

Edit: Did that 'mech literally stackpole, or did it have a simulated stackpoling or whatever?

Simulated Stackpole. The 'Mech "exploded" and the computer tagged everyone nearby 'out,' and locked control of their 'Mechs.

DatonKallandor posted:

Wait so did someone actually get real-killed or simu-killed in that?

Real killed. Punched in the head, knocked over, and a building collapsed (on the head). Just to make sure you know the guy died.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Simulated Stackpole. The 'Mech "exploded" and the computer tagged everyone nearby 'out,' and locked control of their 'Mechs.

Real killed. Punched in the head, knocked over, and a building collapsed (on the head). Just to make sure you know the guy died.

then the building exploded.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

radintorov posted:

Ah, got it. I got confused because I remember reading it doing damage equivalent to 20 units of ammo, so I assumed you multiplied it by the damage value as with any other weapons.
In that case gauss rifles are a even better weapon than what they already are.

There's also an equivalent to dumping ammo as you can just shut down the GR. Takes a turn to boot it back up, but it won't explode while shut down.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Axe-man posted:

then the building exploded.

the ferrocrete in the building stackpoled

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The Dragoon captain most likely was right next to her and accidently hit her when he turned around or something.

What I don't get why the hell a somewhat light punch (if a Assault can even DO "light" punches) would be countered with a loving COCKPIT-SMASH of all things! This book! :argh:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
So, just to make sure this is utterly clear: The Wolf's Dragoons, with a weight advantage, numerical advantage, home turf advantage, and being Wolf's Dragoons, had what amounted to a pretty close simulated fight with a bunch of idiots. Then they broke their own rules of engagement, by melee-ing with a close-in attack Assault Mech that has no hands or melee weapons.

And in retribution, she loving punches it straight in the cockpit, because gently caress simulated violence, apparently, and kills the pilot. And will probably experience no guilt at all, given the track record of our heroes so far. And now they are illegal black-listed mercenaries, assuming they're still mercenaries at all.

From a better author, I might have been able to call the choice of protagonists a clever subversion, because GodDAMN are they a pack of raging psychopaths/sociopaths.

This is just all so stupid, end to end.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think the most 'entertaining' part of this is trying to figure out what was the author's intent with each chapter.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Taerkar posted:

I think the most 'entertaining' part of this is trying to figure out what was the author's intent with each chapter.

Detailed simulation of the author's intent during all chapters:

:hurr:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My theory: Main Event was written like those goon-written CYOAs where everybody writes a page. Except with less writing talent and they expected people to take it seriously rather than humorously.

Also, it's perfectly reasonable to punch someone in the face after you lose at their bullshit video games. We just don't usually have giant robots to do the punching. :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Everyone is writing a page without seeing what the other pages are, maybe.

Also I propose a new thing to track:

Punches made by `Mechs that shouldn't be punching.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

To clarify this, they were in actual mechs, in an actual city mock-up, but their weapons were turned off and only simulated. But getting punched in the cockpit will still kill a dude even if your PPC is set to training power levels or whatever.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Merry Marauder posted:

Yeah I was going to say the biggest danger from a Gauss Rifle exploding is the neurofeedback damage it inflicts on the pilot.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I was going to say the biggest danger from a Gauss Rifle exploding is the neurofeedback damage it inflicts on the pilot.

Which is why, in many ways, the Guass Rifle is the perfect weapon. It's ballistic so its heat is very low, but unlike every other ballistic weapon the consequence of it blowing up is not that bad...especially if you place it in an arm like you ought to, it does enough damage to instant kill any 'mech on a head shot, it has excellent range, and a minimum range that's not too bad. Only the massive weight of the thing is a downside, and the Clan version isn't even that heavy.

Guass Rifle for the win!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

WarLocke posted:

To clarify this, they were in actual mechs, in an actual city mock-up, but their weapons were turned off and only simulated. But getting punched in the cockpit will still kill a dude even if your PPC is set to training power levels or whatever.

Punch into cockpit wasn't simulated.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

Which is why, in many ways, the Guass Rifle is the perfect weapon. It's ballistic so its heat is very low, but unlike every other ballistic weapon the consequence of it blowing up is not that bad...especially if you place it in an arm like you ought to, it does enough damage to instant kill any 'mech on a head shot, it has excellent range, and a minimum range that's not too bad. Only the massive weight of the thing is a downside, and the Clan version isn't even that heavy.

Guass Rifle for the win!

Guass Rifles are the main gun in many an IS platform.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gauss Rifles are one of the few weapons where the IS has anything close to parity with the Clans. It's bigger, sure, but it does the same damage and has the same range.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
You know, I have to say... I can't even blame Esmerelda.

The RoE were very,very clear about "no physical combat." The Dragoon punched first, making that the attempted murder, and Esmerelda defended herself against said attempted murder with actual justifiable homocide.

The Dragoons shouldn't have let an RoE-breaking retard-baby have command of an Annihilator... And the Wolf's Dragoons do not the entirety of the MRBC constitute. I think the Thorns should have taken the Dragoons to the review board over that. Since the Dragoons were involved, Jamie would've been automatically excluded from the decision-making process. Then exclude someone likely to mindlessly vote in the Dragoons' favor, and they would've had a shot at getting the Dragoons censured and themselves whitelisted again.

But since that would have been the smart thing to do, I'm guessing it's not what happens?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I don't think a punch to anywhere else would have been a guaranteed kill. It'd just do damage. If the Dragoon punched an arm or the chest, that's against the ROE but not attempted murder.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 19)

Chapter 19
Harlech, Outreach
26 September 3054

Days elapsed since book start: 148
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 6
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 1 (Rose took a nap, Rose got a Charger)
Protagonists introduced since book start: 7
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: 1
Antagonists defeated since book start: 0
Chapters spent on Northwind: 5
Chapters spent on Solaris: 10
Chapters spent on Outreach: 4

Jeremiah and the other Black Thorns have been detained for an inquiry into the death. After two hours, Jeremiah’s “patience was beginning to wear thin.” Still, he (and the other Black Thorns) manage to not take it out on each other.

Jeremiah Rose then wonders about the Dragoons’ honor. He knows his unit isn’t technically at fault; but he also knows they’re on the Dragoon homeworld. It turns out the guy Esmeralda punched is magically still alive, but in the hospital. ALL GUILT ABSOLVED, BLACKLIST AVERTED.

The Dragoons have lumped everyone together in a room (even the unaffiliated Captain McCloud) and pretty much just dumped them. It’s not clear whether this book occurred before or after the Dragoon civil war, but my money is on ‘before’.

Jeremiah then contemplates McCloud’s situation and whether or not he still has his vague and undefined relationship with her. She, being completely and totally in love with him, will continue to be a recurring character.

Jeremiah then contemplates shooting his way out of the Dragoons’ headquarters since they left him his pistol; an act that would immediately result in his being killed by <Redacted>. He then wonders whether the Dragoons’ decision to leave him armed was an act of confidence or arrogance.

… I’m going to go with ‘neither’, it’s an act of respect (something Jeremiah doesn’t understand). They’re treating the Black Thorns as if they’re not criminally incompetent until they’ve had an opportunity to review all available data. Once again, Authority is going out of its way to accommodate Jeremiah’s colossal ego and dickishness; and once again Jeremiah considers them stupid for doing so.

Major Shelly Brubaker, a Dragoon of extremely high rank (he pretty much answers only to Jamie Wolf) then enters the room. Which of the Black Thorns do you think will gently caress up this encounter?

Brubaker offers his hand to shake, and Jeremiah immediately contemplates snubbing him. He decides to shake Brubaker’s hand on the off chance that pretending to be calm under pressure will annoy the Dragoon more than open hostility would. No, seriously.

Main Event posted:

Rose considered snubbing the gesture, but reconsidered giving offense. Grace under pressure always seemed to annoy people who did not have it

:doh:

Jeremiah then gets irritated because Brubaker does not apologize on behalf of all Dragoons everywhere to appease Jeremiah’s fragile ego. Brubaker then announces that the Dragoon captain was in the wrong for striking out with a melee attack and thus Esmeralda and the Black Thorns will not be punished for Esmeralda’s retaliation. He then says that the practice field officials disqualified both teams because she broke the rules; which immediately pisses Jeremiah off.

Main Event posted:

“If it matters, the field supervisors have disqualified both teams.” Rose was not surprised. They would look after their fellow Dragoons first, even those who broke the rules. “As the head of Contract Command, however, I have overridden their report and entered your unit as the victor in the engagement.”

So yes, Black Thorns win. Slidewhistle.

Brubaker then compliments Rianna and Angus’ destruction of the Crusader; and chastises them for their suicidal idiocy in doing so. The Black Thorns are then free to go. Jeremiah then invites orders everyone to his room for ‘debriefing’ and dinner.

Jeremiah does not provide the dinner, Ajax does. It’s Chinese food, of course. Take out, in paper cartons. :doh:

We then learn that this book occurs after the Dragoon Civil War; and that the Black Thorns are now at the top of the Wolf’s Dragoons poo poo list. They’ve been challenged to combat by twelve separate Wolf’s Dragoons companies, counting tank companies. They’re also treating McCloud “badly”, but that’s pretty much bullshit since it’s just a case of inspections taking marginally longer and some rudeness from technicians. Oh no, a rude tech!

Angus then asks if everyone wants to disband; their only prospect is Borghese. Hawg is the first to pledge his support, but he’s currently being fed and that’s all he really cares about. Everyone else then salutes and it’s supposed to be heartwarming because they’re all 100% behind Jeremiah; but really it’s just stupid and melodramatic.

Jeremiah then propositions McCloud because he ‘needs her ship’. How romantic. She almost rejects him, but doesn’t because he’s the main character. They then resolve to go to Borghese, and the chapter ends.

Then the chapter ends.

END OF PART 1

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

The RoE were very,very clear about "no physical combat." The Dragoon punched first, making that the attempted murder, and Esmerelda defended herself against said attempted murder with actual justifiable homocide.

Responsible course of action: "Stop the loving training, that rear end in a top hat punched me." Then making the Dragoons pay all your repair bills in exchange for not calling the merc-po-po.

Irresponsible course of action: "HE INEFFECTUALLY PUNCHED ME!" *kills the guy*

That's like being in a boxing match where the guy kicks you in the dick, then pulling out a gun and dumping the magazine into his face.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Some of it depends on whether you use game rules to justify how the combat works out. If the Dragoon's pilot threw a punch but didn't hit the head, that doesn't mean he couldn't have hit the head. Punches still have to roll for hit location.

A more appropriate metaphor might be practice sparring with someone and they hit you in the face as hard as they can, and you respond by hitting them back. Except you break their nose and drive bone fragments into their brain and kill them by accident. I'm not suggesting that this justifies punching back, merely that all sides involved are retarded. :saddowns:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So either the author didn't do his research again or Shelly Brubaker had a sex change between now and Malicious Intent

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
DI: It might be a case of the One Steve Limit being broken?... Yeah, most likely not.

Anyway, I have to side with Zaodai on this one. Throwing a punch in a 'mech is an attempt to head the 'mech. That makes it attempted murder, and makes Esmerelda justified in retaliation.

Also, Jeremiah loving Rose is such a colossal loving dick it makes my head hurts. He thinks the galaxy revolves around Jeremiah loving Rose. Good grief, this poo poo is written like an exceptionally literate yet emotionally stunted 14-year-old's bad self-insertion fanfic! The only thing missing is the literal self-insertion bit where the protagonist gets to sleep with every smoking-hot woman to be seen.

At least this one keeps it to a reasonable (godawful) single relationship. If it were a truly bad fanfic, he would've hosed everything with breasts... McCloud, Rhianna (yes, incest is wincest,)that assassin broad (before he killed her,) the cop on Solaris...

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 10, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
All is well that ends well :v:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
End of Part 1?

GodDAMN.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Iridium posted:

End of Part 1?

GodDAMN.

Yep. Onward to Book 2?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Its a book. People don't roll to hit locations in real life (or in fiction trying to emulate real life). That was not attempted murder.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

People also don't stand still while you perfectly line up a shot. Rolling a hit location in the game is a mechanic designed to simulate inherent scatter of weapons fire in combat. So no, they don't get out dice and roll for it. That would be stupid. But they don't perfectly hit every shot with 100% accuracy, because that would also be stupid (or they're all horrible shots.) Either way, you can't say there's no chance he could have hit the head or that the Black Thorns headshot wasn't unintentional.

I'm not the one suggesting it was attempted murder. It's a wargame and they're both in giant death robots, poo poo happens. But to say the Dragoon that took the first swing is less at fault because he didn't hit the head is kind of asinine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Once again, Authority is going out of its way to accommodate Jeremiah’s colossal ego and dickishness; and once again Jeremiah considers them stupid for doing so.
They are, I would have spaced the fucker.

• Locked thread