Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

NONSENSE NONSENSE NONSENSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Supreme Court posted:

Is there a British Apprentice thread? If not, is someone making one? Based on last series, pretty sure it's got enough interest to warrant its own thread; I'd happily type up an OP.

That show is like TV crack, I am completely addicted :ohdear:

Similarly, is there enough interest for a Eurovision thread? I really can't decide between the Apprentice premiere and the Eurovision semi :(

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a monstrous Cilla Black from Blind Date, misattributed to the Queen. Started 2 or so years ago, when they were feeling old and remembering the past, and that TV show hosted for so many years by the queen was it, yes the queen.
Joe also keeps on hinting that it's almost a racist chinaman-type accent.
Here's its origins.
e: and thanks thread for the heads up on Shadow Line. Getting sick of all the dementia on the BBC though; this, that John Simm thing, the first two episodes of Doctor Who... that's it.

Dementia and crime dramas are part of the BBC mandate. Seriously though, Life on Mars, Spooks and Shadow Line, they can't seem to get away from copper tales.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Rarity posted:

Similarly, is there enough interest for a Eurovision thread? I really can't decide between the Apprentice premiere and the Eurovision semi :(

Eurovision is the culmination of millions of years of evolution expressed through dance. People around the world (namely, Europe's main business/ trading partners) should be forced to watch it (but with Terry Wogan commentary, of course :saddowns:)

Edit: Apprentice thread made!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411194
starts at 9pm tonight on BBC1.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 10, 2011

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

There's already a Eurovision thread in GBS I think.

e: Yep. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3402284

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Supreme Court posted:

(but with Terry Wogan commentary, of course :saddowns:)

Terry Wogan is an old fogey who blathers over songs, insults other nations, fails to realise cultural similarities matter rather than politics and is the main reason we see Eurovision as a joke and thus never send anything good that might win. :colbert:

Cheers Terry!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rarity posted:

Terry Wogan is an old fogey who blathers over songs, insults other nations, fails to realise cultural similarities matter rather than politics and is the main reason we see Eurovision as a joke and thus never send anything good that might win. :colbert:

Cheers Terry!

Why on earth would we want to win though?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

marktheando posted:

Why on earth would we want to win though?

Eurolympics

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Young, Rich and House Hunting is pretty good. A lot of them don't seem to be arseholes either which is lovely.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Ratjaculation posted:

NONSENSE NONSENSE NONSENSE

Adam and Joe?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh god Brian Blessed is doing voice work for one of those lovely 'You phone we sue' Legal firms, somebody in the BBC get him some real work!

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
^^ He is going to be on the Christmas QI special this year I beleive.

Terry Wogan was the BEST thing about Eurovision. I mean, it's still good without him but not a hilarious.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

This person is horrible:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice/series7/natasha-scribbins.shtml

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Metrication posted:

This person is horrible:

Ugh, i hate the apprientice because they just round up a bunch of cunts and give a job to the least cuntish person there.

The worst part about it is that it's started to create personality trends in real interview processes with ego filled fucks prancing about during interview days doing nothing but try to belittle you when in idle conversation.

I'd love for one season just to have a competent, confident (without arrogance) and polite person on the show just to loving steamroll through the entire thing due to his professional demeanor outshining all of the poo poo from the other contestants. Though i'm guessing we don't see that because they'd probably get a job the conventional way instead of taking part in a loving pantomime.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Metrication posted:

This person is horrible:
Aside from her "I'm a Machiavellian genius" vibe (i.e. everyone will hate her), this stood out as especially awful bullshit:
"I'm like a really really fine-tuned switch; if I need to tone it down, then I tone it down. If I need to tone it up, then I tone it up"

She now has a special place in the Apprentice thread OP:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411194&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post391508859

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Zorba the Greek posted:

^^ He is going to be on the Christmas QI special this year I beleive.

Terry Wogan was the BEST thing about Eurovision. I mean, it's still good without him but not a hilarious.

Yes, Terry, we know the Eastern Bloc vote for each other. And aren't their costumes the silliest? Have another G&T and tell us how bland our entry is again. Ha ha, those other guys got 'nul points', how humiliating!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Archer is on 5* at 10pm tonight, well worth watching.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Why have they got a restaurant reviewer on Apprentice; You'r fired ?

Does the Beeb just have pens of flapping gums?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Archer is on 5* at 10pm tonight, well worth watching.

Series 1, or a newer one?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
It's the new season - I think it's in its second week, now.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh god Brian Blessed is doing voice work for one of those lovely 'You phone we sue' Legal firms, somebody in the BBC get him some real work!

You mean that one with Jo Pasquale? Thats a few years of annoyance.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

"Trickjaw" posted:

Why have they got a restaurant reviewer on Apprentice; You'r fired ?

Does the Beeb just have pens of flapping gums?
Yes, there are a very small number of people booking 'talent' and a small number of agents that they deal with, so effectively yes. see jack Whitehall for an example his dad is a big agent.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

HERAK posted:

Yes, there are a very small number of people booking 'talent' and a small number of agents that they deal with, so effectively yes. see jack Whitehall for an example his dad is a big agent.

You certainly have mastered subtlety, now try humour.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Metrication posted:

Adam and Joe?

Yeah, why would it be Denny Different?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
But which one is the best?
It's Joe.
I hope they downplay Made Up Jokes. Week after week, it's the same thing. They ran out of time for text the nation last week, but found time for 5 minutes of Joe being sniffy.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Theres been lots of love for it in this thread so I'm interested, what is adam & joe and how does one go about watching (listening?) to it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They're Joe Cornish (whose first feature film, Attack the Block, is out this wednesday) and Adam Buxton (he was in the persuasionists, does music video commentary for the BFI) and they've been a duo ever since the birth of channel 4. Right now, there's a 3 hour 6 music radio show, which is edited into a hour-long podcast.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Captain Mediocre posted:

Theres been lots of love for it in this thread so I'm interested, what is adam & joe and how does one go about watching (listening?) to it?
It might be a bit difficult to get into though as they pointed out in last weekend's show that parts of the show have become long running bits that might make no sense unless you've heard at least a few of the previous shows. If you do get into it all the old podcasts are out there to be downloaded and binged on.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I hope they downplay Made Up Jokes. Week after week, it's the same thing. They ran out of time for text the nation last week, but found time for 5 minutes of Joe being sniffy.
They did do a TTN - they released and extra 5 minute podcast for it as someone forgot to include it in the main podcast.

I've just booked tickets to see Adam Buxton do a thing, Richard Herring will be there too; how can it be bad? - http://showandtelluk.com/buxton

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Adam and Joe is pretty good. This time around I've not been as impressed due to the amount of features they try to cram in, which they acknowledge. But still.

Anyway, for a primer;
The first 20 minutes or so is dedicated to 'Black Squadron', which are live listeners that send in images of black squadron commands such as 'hide' or 'surgery'

Then there's text the nation, where one of them choose a topic of discussion and encourage listeners to text in. There's retro text the nation that carries on the discussion from last weeks text the nation sent in through the week.

There's also song wars, where they make up songs about a theme, made-up jokes, where people send in jokes and they judge them and traveller's tales, which is about trains. Between this they talk and play music and various jingles, which are sometimes covered by listeners of the show and sent in.

Running jokes are David Bowie, usually when he's mentioned it helps to be familiar with the album 'Low'. There's also an impression of the queen which is like cilla black. I can't remember anything else off the top of my head, but it's all good most of the time I think.

You can download old poo poo here.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I just love it when they completely geek out over David Bowie.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Mr. Squishy posted:

They're Joe Cornish (whose first feature film, Attack the Block, is out this wednesday) and Adam Buxton (he was in the persuasionists, does music video commentary for the BFI) and they've been a duo ever since the birth of channel 4. Right now, there's a 3 hour 6 music radio show, which is edited into a hour-long podcast.

It came out last Friday you can go see it NOW.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There's also a running joke about Boggins, a dog that sounds like Adam doing a dog impression which divided and polarised the fanbase into whether the fictional dog should live or die.

It's best not spoken about because it brings up a lot of raw memories.

In my mind what makes Adam and Joe stand out is that they're not really professional comedians or DJs yet they just managed to somehow make a career out of being daft.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Adam and Joe are the reason I can't think of David Bowie now without also thinking "wuz-a-wuz".

I'd recommend the Collings and Herrin podcast on Comedy.co.uk, along with As It Occurs to Me, Richard Herrings podcast comedy show, which has led to me wanting to say something, then say "Aside", and then say the opposite.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Adam and Joe Go Tokyo is the only thing you should watch involving geeky Brits looking at Japanese pop culture too. The other with a certain overpaid Sinophobic hating git with a lisp to be avoided at all costs.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I find the Collings & Herrin podcast a bit too samey. Collings is a loving idiot, almost everything he says and every opinion he holds is retarded, and Herrin just says whatever comes into his head about anal sex related to whatever they're talking about.

I preferred the 6 music show because it forced him to get outside that persona and do something different. AIOTM is really hit or miss as well, you can tell some weeks he just hasn't had the time to write anything.

Maybe it's my own fault for reading his blog - he produces so much output that unfortunately if you follow it all you hear him repeat himself over and over.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Their best podcasts are the ones when they pick a subject or answer questions from Twitter, otherwise it generally turns into Richard calling Andrew a loving idiot and making crass jokes about everything.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Anyone else watching that Icelandic Comedy from BBC4 with the subtitles on iPlayer?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

reality_groove posted:

There's also a running joke about Boggins, a dog that sounds like Adam doing a dog impression which divided and polarised the fanbase into whether the fictional dog should live or die.

It's best not spoken about because it brings up a lot of raw memories.

In my mind what makes Adam and Joe stand out is that they're not really professional comedians or DJs yet they just managed to somehow make a career out of being daft.

I'll never understand the sheer hatred people had for Boggins, I assume its some sort of massive joke, at least I hope it is :/

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I vaguely remember texting in something about killing boggins and they read it out, but I can't for the life of me remember what I said.

When it comes to Adam and Joe I find you can rarely tell if negativity is genuine or not. Like that thing a few weeks ago where someone was complaining that the black squadron photos weren't vetted before being put on the blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anyone else watching that Icelandic Comedy from BBC4 with the subtitles on iPlayer?

Nightshift? the one at the petrol station?